What do you guys think about buying dead games? Did you buy any recently?

What do you guys think about buying dead games? Did you buy any recently?

I have a few collections of dead games. The WizKids battletech clix game, Dreamblade, the Wars CCG... Mostly things that were being bulk sold for super cheap at my LGS, although I had played them before that, letting me have enough cards or figures I could bust them out as a boxed game if I ever wanted to. Mostly they just sit gathering dust though.

Bought bulk of Vampire: the eternal struggle and Android: Netrunner.
Both have just kinda taken up space. Turns out friends dont even want to touch dead games.

Since when has Android: Netrunner been dead?

I own everything in OP.
I kinda like how it's a closed chapter.
You can comfortably own everything and won't need to keep buying to be up to date.

As long as the developers didn't abandon it with a bunch of unresolved issues and broken rules.

I buy/play a lot of dead games. Actually plan on picking some up for myself for Christmas (my family is weird), I just have to decide what exactly I want to get this go round.

Probably going to pick up some WOTC Star Wars tcg and minis, and some DBZ Awakening, in addition to the live stuff (DBS, Ashes, and Star Wars Legion). Will probably still narrow it down a little but meh.

Card Wars is surprisingly fun for what it is. The Lady Rainicorn deck is too OP though. Sandwitch + Sphinx = inevitable win.

How would you rate it? I was thinking to buy it for my nephew rather than get him into cardboard crack.

I picked up some Card Wars a while back. It was fun enough and wasn't overly complicated. The art is about what you'd expect for Adventure Time, so if he likes the cartoon, the cards should be visually appealing to him.

There was a couple at my FLGS that played it a lot and they really got into it, and it sounded like it really kept their interest, although not as their main game.

I bought the doubles tournament box because I found an online store selling it with 70% discount. Now I'm waiting for booster packs and 2-player sets sales

I'd rate it a solid "fun/10". It's not as complexly resource-driven as Magic, nor as "fuck it, vomit my hand turn 1" as Yugioh, but there is some Magic-esque resource management and some Yugioh-esque vomiting shenanigans.

You start the game with 4 land spaces, arranged horizontally. There are five different types of lands to choose from- Useless Swamps, Sandylands, Blue Plains, Cornfields, and Nicelands, and they vaguely line up with the five Magic colours. You can make your four land spaces out of any of these lands, but unless you're a wiz at deckbuilding it's best to stick with one or two. This is because of the resource system- Each turn, you get 2 Action Points to spend however you want. You can play creatures, spells, or enchantments, pay 1 point to draw a card, use a tap ability with a cost (it's called "flooping" but it's literally tapping from Magic), etc. Let's say you have a Sandyland creature that requires 2 points to cast- You not only need to spend the two points to cast it, but you also need 2 Sandyland lands. So your deckbuilding is restricted somewhat by your action points and your landbase.

Each turn, all your creatures attack unless they're tapped, and combat between creatures is identical to Magic with the only difference being that the damage stays after end of turn. Damage done to players is the same as Magic and when you deal 25 damage to your opponent you win.

It's a fairly easy game to learn and fairly fun to play once you've got the hang of it, with the only real hangup that I've noticed being deck balance. Starter decks are sold in pairs, and in each pair there always seems to be one deck that's wildly overpowered compared to the other.

Tl;Dr, fun game, easy to learn, but balance issues hinder the out-of-box decks. If your nephew is a fan of Adventure Time I think he'd like it.

What this guy said

Some of my friends who couldn't get into MtG, really enjoyed CardWars.
It's just that tad less complicated.

Shame that Cryptozoic has dropped it. I just can't shake the feeling that they never really wanted to support this game

I think they actually wanted to keep supporting it.
There were plans for tournament kits and stuff like that.
Matt Hyra was also very active on BGG, answering questions etc.
I think it's demise is a combination of:

* being too niche. Too advanced for normies and too low quality art for veterans
* Not actually featuring adventure time characters
* You couldn't play custom optimized decks without buying 3 of each box
* The app being more popular
* The AT show ending very soon
* The AT show turning to shit lately (strictly personal opinion)

I recently received( a year and a half late) my The Walking Dead all out war miniature set if that counts.

I actively try to purchase 3.0/3.5 books but all my local retailers still want >20$ per book which is fucking retarded and I don't trust buying books used online.

Card War sis dead!?!? WTF? It's a great game. My wife, who hates lots of other games, loves CW.

Well, when was the last new product released?

Well, that's promising at least.

I buy to much, any dead ccgs/tcgs i see I pick up. Locals are nice, shop owner sets shit aside for to pick up when ever I stop by. I ebd up spending quite alot this way but it's worth it to me.

I have a small, but pretty solid collection of Star Wars miniatures shit. I'm honestly not really sure why it was canceled, except maybe the Disney buyout. It was a fun game.

Oh god, where do I start? I have the old mutant chronicles collectible miniatures game, the 40k tcg, crimsom skies, car wars, halo and horror clix, starship troopers tmg, the list goes on.

is this only for CCGs and similar, or can we talk about our dead RPGs as well?

I have a complete run of Alternity, Underworld (the super-punk rpg), Providence (was Exalted before Exalted!), Decipher's Star Trek, D20 Modern (completely underrated IMO), Hong Kong Action Theater, and everything Guardians of Order published short of the Sailor Moon CCG

I regularly buy Rackham Confrontation miniatures and materials, but not the Age of Ragna'rok stuff. Games Workshop and Privateer Press honestly still haven't figured out to make figures as characterful and cool as Rackham did.

It may not be dead but it is shit.

Netrunner is probably the worst game I own. No one wants to touch that shitty abortion.

Can you rebase the mech clix to use in classic BT?

You probably could. I went for a rather more overcomplex solution, using the large hex maps that came with OGRE Designer's Edition, since they're the right scale for playing classic battletech with the clix minis.

Dead games are fun because is fast and cheap to dive WAY into a game. Also, because they're games you likely didn't follow closely, you'll be surprised by new (to you) mechanics and themes.

Pic related. I can't find any more of this fucking game, though, and it's bothersome as heck.

I don't see any reason why not.

Personally, I love the Wotc Star Wars d20, but it gets a lot of hate or something- it's never in the files for the Star Wars or pdf share threads, and there's always someone who gets it confused with Saga edition.

You'd think it'd be more popular- tg seems to love 3.5 and it's literally just 3.5 with a Star Wars veneer.

Nice thing about miniatures is that they pretty much never go obsolete.

>ctrl+f
>no magi nation
Feels bad man. I just want to dream again

Warhammer 40K Conquest LCG, Call of Cthulhu LCG, Card Wars.

Conquest dying broke my heart, but atleast I have the whole game and a ton of the promos and stuff.

Is it worth getting?

is it fun?

I think so. Even just the core has a bunch of factions and they are all pretty thematic. To me it was the best way to have a huge WH40k arny without breaking the bank.

I loved it, and it was very fun to me. Infesting a bunch of planets as tyranids and then ambushing my opponent with genestealers was my jam.

I still play HeroClix and DiceMasters. both are incredibly fun even to this day.

>dice masters
I have two DnD 2-player sets but never played it actually

I have this obsession with buying CCGs of any kind, all the time. I never even play them, i just like having the cards, reading through them and imagining decks (even though half of the time I didn't even bother to check how to actually play the game).
I do this for tarot cards and things like that. Hell, I even own the Card Captor Sakura cards, the Clow version and the Sakura version, even though I hate the anime itself.

Dead gaems only matter if you have no friends to play whatever you feel like with and are dependent on hype consumerism in an attempt to fill increasingly vapid lives. glhf

Pretty much. Confrontation minis work well in Warhammer and in many generic fantasy games for that matter.

You have emboldened me to admit I own most of the my little pony ccg starter sets. Never played.

I bought a little bit into it, I'm ashamed to say. But I wanted to make sure I picked up at least a little bit of each card game my shop sells so I can play with anybody. It sucks to feel like you're not welcome even in a geek haven like a FLGS (I made the mistake of liking D&D 4E best) and I don't want anyone else to have to deal with that.

I think I picked up another starter or two when the girl I was dating and gaming with said she was an MLP fan.

If you can get over the MLP veneer, it's interesting mechanically but... I can't get over it.

Played pic related for the very first time today. We mixed cards for two decks - mono-ice vs mono-nice. I'm truly surprised how good this game is.

We could be friends user.

Not completely on topic but can anyone here give me the movie pitch description of castor chronicles, force of will, wixuss (?) And any other obscure but alive ccgs?

Caster Chronicles is a Duel Masters esque game about magical girls. The girls act as lands that you use to cast spells, and they can level up as the game goes on.

Force of Will is a MTG esque game with a bit of EDH sprinkled in, in the form of each deck having a ruler card you build your deck around. It is more high fantasy themed.

I have never played Wixoss before because it isn't in English, but I have heard that it is pretty good. You can use Webxoss to play the game online in English.

Dicemasters isn't dead though, its still going.

Did I see dragoborne. Was cancelled?

I'm in Puerto Rico, unless it's MtG, 40k (on West side only) or YGO, it may as well be a ded gaem

>WizKids BattleMech
I read that and started crying. I miss it so much.

>The app being more popular
Card Wars or Card Wars 2?

I'm living in a 200k city and I can't find a single DM player desu. In some countries it's truly dead

It can be a lot of fun. My brother once found a bunch of unopened boxes of the WCW Nitro card game packs at a Walmart for like a buck a box. I remember spending forever unpacking and tossing them in a box. We'd play that game whenever we were bored. Best part is it was a really easy game, so we could teach other people to play and have really quick games.