How would you do a race of "living weapons" in a medieval fantasy setting, but beyond just "swordians" so there's...

How would you do a race of "living weapons" in a medieval fantasy setting, but beyond just "swordians" so there's, "spearians", "bowians", "axeons", "crossboys" etc...

artificial constructs or quasi-nature spirits arising from war and violence? And what weaknesses should they have, weak to fire? mud? blanket over their head? wrapped in leather?

Other urls found in this thread:

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-swerda.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Sounds truly retarded. Don't you have any better ideas?

I wouldnt make it a race but just mass produced magical constructs
And id do it like this

I'd go for a "living armor" type of race, with a bunch of subraces for different pieces of armor, as well as subraces for weapons. A lone individual would be bloody useless, but they'd form colonies which start out roughly human-shaped and turn something resembling unholy monstrosities as they get older.

Their major weakness would be separation. Strong impacts would knock the colony apart, forcing them to spend time crawling back together and reforming, possibly in an entirely new shape.
Other weakness, and what makes them useful, is that the individuals aren't very bright and can't really tell whether they're part of a colony or just being worn or used by something else entirely. So pushing over a living armor so it separates, stealing parts of it, and running like hell before the colony reforms is pure profit.

Katanagatari?

Just make a whole race of Stormbringers/Soul Edges that need a host organism and may or may not compel people to murder.

Sentient pieces of armament that are best used when in the hand of someone who knows how to handle them.
If their user is killed they can move for a while and even manifest a kind of "spirit" that looks like it's carrying the weapon, but this form is weak and mostly for social interaction.
Armours, well, move by themselves and can make it look like they're full if need be.
When used by someone they act as adding ram to a computer ; you become able to proceed more things about combat than usual and that gives you an advantage because you figure out your opponent's fighting style while crossing swords.
The sword/spear/whatever also gives advice and like every sentient object is a sassy asshole

this fpbp

>How would you do a race of "living weapons" in a medieval fantasy setting,
You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility. A living weapon. I admire it. I admire its purity. A survivor...unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality. The perfect tool of war.

I actually really like the idea of haunted armour and weapons arising from particularly large/brutal battles. Not sure what would motivate it, though. Hatred for the living? A desire to continue fighting? A wish to die permanently? Maybe it only rises to defend the innocent?

Hmm...

>Not sure what would motivate it, though.
When your DI yells at you that naptime is over and it's time to get your pansy ass back on the battlefield, I don't care how dead you are, your pansy ass is back on the battlefield in two minutes, or your DI is going to put his boot straight up God's ass in person.

>Not sure what would motivate it, though.
Simple ignorance of their death is the most tragic.

>crossboys

Sapient tubers who thrive in metallic soil. When mature, the bark around their root comes off and acts as a sheath.

There was this giant or something in an olf monster manual which was made of morphing metal who created items as they needed them.

Maybe something like that with different metals or material.

Like cute girls inside weapons.
Imagine the romance possibilities.

OH AYE

While not a race, I've incorporated a group of 50 what were essentially AI into a fantasy game before. They possessed all manner of objects and could transfer themselves selves to different objects within 20 feet of the object they were possessing. I say AI because they had no real physical forms, they were literally just thoughts, that had consciousness.

Halbeards.

Just go mecha musume already

I've always been fond of ego weapons

no wait, better:

HalBEARS, bears who embody the spirit of halberds.

Yeah, each wepaon isn't a person but an animal, so Sword-Dogs, Axe-hippos, Crosscats etc... alongside HalBEARs.

Morningstarlet.

I prefer Scythians.

Crossbow-wow.

>daggirls

Please go back to /v/.

Axeon terminals
Bowmen's capsules

>wrapped in leather

so you sheathe your swordpeople in gimpsuits?

It doesn't have to be an actual weapon or unnatural to work. If it was biological it could be a living weapon, or it could just be a sword that ends up looking like a humanoid creature with a lot of abilities and instincts that make it really good at killing.

how do you mean living weapons.
Do you mean like, self replicating living weapons, or factory manufactured living weapons.
Do these living weapons come with directives? are they expected to go through a phase of programming? Are living weapons that are not properly sanctioned and programmed a threat?

How smart are these living weapons? are they comparable to their makers? Dumber? Smarter?

In vague terms, are we going for skaven, or orks, or space marines, or self replicating von neumann cloud, or skynet, or GOR the carnivorous world?

Solid.

One of the ideas I came across when I tried to do the idea is that they are literally magic machines and their reproductive cycle is driven by trying to trick people into reverse engineering and mass producing them. Their state of self-awareness is easy to "slip into" so to speak, so anyone who incorporates more than the slightest touch of their design features is basically producing the next-generation-in-waiting for these guys.

Meanwhile, the race of living weapons go to war with people to show off how cool they are so that people will try and make their own living weapons. Ultimately there's no hard feelings against fleshies, but human civilisations are effectively the female of their species and the courtship ritual usually requires untold casualties.

Sounds like you want tsukumogami.

I always have ideas, but I have no idea what you're talking about.

Are they like golems built around weapons, or are they lolis/humanoids with weapon parts? Do they reproduce sexually, build more of their kind, or are they just born from enough soldiers dying/killing with their weapons? Do they just haunt the battlefields or do they have lives and societies outside war?

What kind of setting are you running, and what is the role of these living weapons in it?

bondage sword people.

The edgiest of all races.

Tsukumogami have tons of story potential. They're always at least 100 years old yet deeply connected to the mundane world, and their personality is affected by what they were created for and how they were treated before they came to life.

>cat-apults

Simple.

Sentient beings that are the result of a conclave of mad wizard alchemists. The results? It went horribly right.

The wizard alchemists wanted sentient, sapient humanoids made out of flesh and liquid metals that would transform pieces of their bodies into weapons and create an armor form around themselves when they engage in battle, have great mental capabilities and have great engineering skills.

The horribly right parts?

1. Yes, they manage to change their body parts into weapons and can turn their bodies into armor. Thing is that they can, apart of traditional weapons, even emulate magic items (rods especially), which led to the 2nd problem which is...

2. Their mental capabilities made them extremely resistant to all known ways of mind control (charm included). And with the ability to emulate magic items (and thus talismans and other doohickeys that grant protection against mind-affecting spells), it made them completely immune to being mind controlled.

3. Oh they are indeed great engineers. The first thing they did was staging uprisings in the prison laboratories they were held in, fortified the places and defeating the wizard alchemists' forces that couldn't breach their fortifications, and finally went to the latter's stronghold and besieged it with warmachines they build from what was around, and finally blew the place up.

Here me out

The souls of the vengeful dead infest the armaments they held in life, corrupting them with their spirits. If there's one really important guy, like a general, the spirits congregate around his weapon instead of their own.

So what you end up getting is something like Skofnung, a sword imbued with the spirits of twelve proud berserkers.

And their personality is a bit in flux because of it, yes yes, On good days the Sword is more Ragnar, other days he's a bit of a Gudfred.

We must sage the thread from orbit, it's the only way!
(I'm just kidding, I'd never sage a thread on Veeky Forums)

Lord forbid you get Bjarki on the line

you won't get anything done

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2017/02/the-swerda.html