Does anyone else find it more enjoyable to run games for normies than fa/tg/uys?

Does anyone else find it more enjoyable to run games for normies than fa/tg/uys?

I mean, they're generally willing to play anything so long as the rules aren't too complicated to grasp. They don't go out of their way to ignore plot hooks and then get indignant when there's nothing to do. They don't question why the GM has a screen and don't go out of their way to try and prove that the GM is "cheating."

They're just there to have fun with their mates and go home with an interesting story to tell.

Anyone else feel the same?

Pretty much, yeah.

It's more fun to play woth people who have a semblance of basic social skills, yes

Yes, I don't search for new players at gameplaces or online anymore. I just ask people me and my wive are already friends with.
Most of them are normies.

Sometimes. I'm pretty selective about which gamers I choose for my games, so I rarely get the asshole gamers (which happened a lot back in college).

If they're a pain in the ass they don't get invited to the next game.

This!

I'll never understand people who play exclusively with people who have a distinct lack of social skills at the table. I'm not even asking people who are extroverts either, just people who understand basic social awareness so that you don't have to treat them like special needs children.

I think the important thing is playing with well-adjusted individuals with basic social skills. Being friends outside the game helps.

I've never ever meet a normie that was interested in RPG.

>Being friends outside the game helps.
This. I started enjoying games a lot more after my group became real-life friends.

I try to game with people that have a life and interests outside of gaming (even just modest ones on both counts). Not exactly "normies" but at least people that don't treat a game more seriously than it deserves.

This. It doesn't matter is they're hard core neck beards or average Joe's.

I always assumed that was the norm. It would be weird as fuck to play with strangers.

Obviously.

Nerds are the fucking worst.

Honestly it’s fun to play with new guys.

If you start them on a quick and fun system like RISUS as opposed to starting on 3.5 (like me) they can grow to love it.

Indeed.

To a great extend I do agree. I've run several one-shots for regular nerds, and while it's been nice to play with people who know the fucking rules, they're unable to not meta game. I ran a one-shot not long ago where three of the players were regular DM's. It was mostly fine, but surprisingly it was these guys who had the most trouble shutting up when I was giving important information.

I'm doing LMoP with my ultra normie friends. The downsides include a complete and utter lack of interest in the rules. I have to hold their hand so much. The upside is the enthusiasm and joy. They happily follow every plot hook immediate (I actually can barely even introduce side quests because they just b-line towards whatever I present them), and they are largely unfamiliar with tropes and cliches. This means they're perfectly happy fighting goblins in a cave in order to rescue some dude.

The biggest advantage you get with nerds is their commitment and dedication. They're fucking nerds so they're less flakey. They *care* about the game. I'm lucky to get one game a month with my normie group, and that's not enough for me. If I could play every two weeks with them I'd be a happy man.

A bunch of FUCKIN' NORMIES sounds a lot more fun than a bunch of socially awkward faggots. My ideal group would probably look something like this.

>Chad Thundercock
Stereotypical jock dudebro who slays pussy by the dozens. Is actually a totally righteous bro and a good roleplayer. Usually plays a paladin or other frontline guy, often ends up the party face.

>Tyrone Lightningdick
Stereotypical nigga thug. Really into DBZ for some reason. Usually plays a monk who may or may not multiclass into wizard/cleric so he can do "ATATATATATA" and "fshoofshoofshoo" and "GALICK GUN". Wants to use a homebrewed character background simply called "pimp".

>Christine Grey
Succesful businesswoman who shattered the glass ceiling but is polite enough to not constantly talk about it. Always shows up in a skirtsuit because she joins the group straight from work. Only uses her phone during breaks, and only to check on her stocks before the markets close. May or may not be smokin', figuratively. May or may not be my future husband(female)..

>Grumpy Jii-chan
Oldfag, probably in his 40s. Entirely regular, socially adjusted guy who works as a high school teacher. Did TTRPGs ever since the OG D&D days. Near encyclopedic knowledge of even incredibly obscure systems. Forever DM, tries to convince everyone that GURPS is actually a really neat system but the group sticks to D&D anyway because nobody feels like learning a new system. Acts like the father figure of the group.

>Kawaii-chan
College student and the youngest of the group. Just got out of her anime obsessive phase, but some remnants still linger. Usually tries to play flirtatious catgirl rogues but isn't obnoxious most of the time. May or may not have jungle fever for Tyrone.

what the fuck

Not everyone is so privileged that they have a group of quirky but mutually complementary normie friends. Some of us have to make them up.

This is the second time in like a week that I've been called out on my fantasies. Maybe I'm just incredibly weird.

Can anyone link me some Veeky Forums approved guides to roleplaying in tabletop ? I've got a 1 on 1 session coming up with my DM and I usually play a more passive simpler charecter so I'm really nervous about being put on the spot

>so long as the rules aren't too complicated to grasp
This isn't an issue so long as the game pitch is strong enough and you can show how the rules work in practice, versus theory.

your "normie" profiles are pretty fucking weird man. Just seems like a regular battery of people you meet at the LGS (excepting maybe the businesswoman...)
Get out more.

but normies wont even open the books
its no fun to play with people who don't know the game

Weirdly enough, this actually destroyed my old game group. Like the lack of communication outside the game at first made everyone more interested in each other's characters and much more interested in RPing things like downtime and party interaction. After we all added each other on steam/skype/discord, the game lost this irreplaceable sense of mystery, and whenever we've run things, people lose interest in a few sessions.

I fucking hate it when people who have the most common or obviously well accepted "opinions" on a topic act like they're in the minority.

Oh wow does anybody else like breathing? I don't know about you but it seems so much better then not hur dur.

Fuck off OP. Good job on your hugbox post.

I have literally never had fa/tg/uys question the screen, I have never had fa/tg/uys disrupt my game. I don't know where you're finding these sorts, but most Veeky Forumstg/uys I know are pretty harmless. The only one who isn't can be quieted down with a wave of his hand, since he's hard of hearing and doesn't know he's goddamn loud.

Childhood is thinking nerds are the best players to play with.

Adolescence is thinking "normies" or light hobbyists are the best players to play with.

Adulthood is knowing that the true hobbyists are the best players to play with.

My normies have endless build autism.
My neets are the "normies" you're describing.

Don't run games with guys from the tech industry.

Yeah, nah.
Interacting with the BattleTech community indicates you're wrong.

It's also less fun playing with nerds who know the rules better than you do, especially if they actually don't. I mean, sometimes it sucks having to handhold someone through the most basic of bullshit but at least they don't second guess you at every turn and resist everything you try to do just because they feel it isn't "interesting enough."

Wow did you know running with your friends is more enjoyable then running with complete strangers from the Netherlands? Who would have fucking thought it.

>They're just there to have fun with their mates and go home with an interesting story to tell.
Nigger what do you think everyone else is there for

By the way the fact you're a garbage GM shows.

Battletech is pure unfiltered shit though.

I feel weird around normies, i prefer company of awkward neckbeards, neets and other losers.

Also, this:

Weirdos lose friends when they try to play with them, or have no friends to begin with

Yes, I've been saying the same thing for years.

>come home
>everyone I talk to is autistic
>go to work
>everyone is an engineer or scientist of some kind
>haven't talked to a normie outside of ordering food in years
What do normies even do or act?

I haven't spoken more than a few words to people in months and I really don't know anymore. What do normies talk about and do?

I'm thankful that you don't know my pain. Playing with a shitty group of fa/tg/uys will change a man.

Entirely, because normal people don't have autismo crippled social skills, so if they have imagination they're the best

Normies is a meme, basically if you don't eat your own shit and want to fuck your mother you're a normie
Most people are freaks and mentally ill

>if you don't eat your own shit and want to fuck your mother you're a normie
So autists are normies, too ... good to know, user.

Yeah pretty much, unless you're a full on autismo that eats your own shit as said
I know plenty of people I'd say are on the spectrum that would be constituted as normies, including myself, maybe it's just an English thing
You ever seen Peep show, Mark on that's train of thought is a shit load of people here, and he's a autistic as fuck

>Yeah pretty much, unless you're a full on autismo that eats your own shit as said
... I think I'll need your definition of 'eating your own shit' here ...
'cause it looks like we're not talking about the same thing here

Just fucking flat out falling off the end of the charts autismo
Proper autists who literally can't hold a conversation with people, the ones that live with their parents their whole lives and may or may not partake in literally eating their own bodily excretions
Not just being a regular old social spastic

Yeah, but now you have friends.

I was hoping it was true ;_;

I hate breathing.

Nigger

Yeah it's pretty weird you are fantasizing about some weeb girl getting BLACKED.
I thought your fetish was office lady but you managed to be worse.

not like weebs are good for anything else

I never played exclusively with psychos but there was one player at my table. He was my brother-in-law's cousin and it was like uh. Hm.

Everyone knew about it and you could kinda work your way around it but ultimately it had to be what it was. He was family, after all (even if he weren't MY family).

I'm not saying "normal is a setting on a dryer" because lol but there's a better quote that goes "the only normal people are the ones you don't know very well" and I think that more or less sums it up.

Yeah that's exactly it

This person is wrong and probably doesn't realize that he's not a normie.

>not fantasizing about some weeb girl getting blacked
Also, it was clearly implied to be a one-way attraction, you're misinterpreting this fictional character dynamic for the sake of your own obsession.

Not normies, no, but definitely not fa/tg/uys either. The ideal person is someone who played some D&D, liked it, but feels like there was some stuff that could've been done better, or maybe wants a different setting.

Who, Albert Adler? The Austrian psychologist?

Oh no not someone else who obsesses over tiny details. I've got enough of those already.

Hmm you sound like you're protesting too much.
It's okay to be a cuck user. I was just saying it's weird that you fantasize about weeb girls with jungle fever. That's really not normal.

That's not me though, I'm saying you're misrepresenting the story of the other guy since to you the world's biggest threat is black dongs.

No I'm just noting how weird it is. I'm not ranting about race mixing or white genocide or anything like that.
It's just strange. It feels weird being a black weeb and thinking that white guys are fantasizing about weeb girls going for black guys when that just doesn't happen. It's like being a native American fantasizing about getting colonized. It probably happened but it's still weird.

I like it that you try to plead for normies but you don't mean normies.
I've GM'd for normies and I mean -normies-.
It was the worst. They are fun guys and girls but - and I hate to say it - wasn't their "scene".
You describe a RP scene and try to build mood but they didn't get it. They just didn't get it. They could not build the scene in their head. They asked totally stupid questions to get details that weren't important but they were incapable (or unwilling) to fill the gaps in their heads.
Like when you describe an NPC what do you say? I tell the ~age, ~size, some features, if they appear aggressive or passiv, 2-3 adjectives. Done.
Now the ask for the shoes. They don't try to derail or mock or anything. They just couldn't imagine common, unremarkable shoes.

fa/tg/uys aren't that... complicated.
If they want to discuss bullshit you can say: shut up or leave. It's easier to handle these problems. At least for me.

>Does anyone else find it more enjoyable to run games for normies than fa/tg/uys?

False dichotomy. Those aren't real categories, just made-up groups a few internet nerds invented for a sense of belonging.

When you find players in the real world, they have a range of interests, a range of skills. An individual might be great at roleplaying and remembering setting details, poor at keeping track of mechanics, middling at general social skills but good at cooking, etc.

>You describe a RP scene and try to build mood but they didn't get it.
That was your first mistake. You don't TRY to build a mood, it just sorta happens naturally as events warrant certain emotional responses and even then, it depends on how the audience chooses to take it. Like a dude falling off a building in a Looney Toons cartoon is funny but the same happening in Berserk is tragic.
>fa/tg/uys aren't that... complicated.
Nigga what? We just had a thread that got derailed because one autist got butthurt about someone using the term "adventurer's guild."
>If they want to discuss bullshit you can say: shut up or leave.
If you care that much about people asking questions about details you think aren't important, why don't you just say the same thing to them?

It can be.
Running a game for complete newbies is lovely, since they don't have any preconceived ideas. They don't go in planning for all sorts of things, or meta gaming to any level.
They justs have an idea for a character and make it the best they can and to hell with if it works.
It's endearing and genuinely refreshing to work with

>What do normies talk about
Mostly football, but I'm a burger so the sport may be different on your country.

>That was your first mistake. You don't TRY to build a mood, it just sorta happens naturally as events warrant certain emotional responses and even then, it depends on how the audience chooses to take it. Like a dude falling off a building in a Looney Toons cartoon is funny but the same happening in Berserk is tragic.
"...you describe the scene to get the mood built..." - better?!
>Nigga what? We just had a thread that got derailed because one autist got butthurt about someone using the term "adventurer's guild."
Fair enough. Go on.
>If you care that much about people asking questions about details you think aren't important, why don't you just say the same thing to them?
Because they don't want to be mean. They just don't get it. And they want to understand. They're not like some tg-guy that really wants to discuss in the middle of an action scene why I bent the rules to save the scene/story.

So basically, that D&D episode of community?

It's better to perform anything in front of people who have no idea what's going on and feel it's out of reach of their own ability.

People think I'm some kind of genius for being able to run DnD etc and I think other people are genius' for being able to run really abstract or sci fi games.

If he's interested in the game, he ain't a normie.
Normies usually stop showing up after a while.

>"...you describe the scene to get the mood built..." - better?!
Not quite. You describe the scene sure but how people choose to take it is ultimately up to the people in the party. Like in one group, we had a moment where an NPC turned himself to stone to save our party and said "remember my sacrifice" before he turned to stone and our resident moron asked "what was his name again?" which turned a tragic moment into a funny one just because of the timing.
>Because they don't want to be mean.
Well if you recognize that it isn't done out of mockery then why are you necessarily worried about it? Maybe the guy is asking about the guy's shoes because of some quirk that relates to the character's background or something. It's not like you can necessarily add too much detail as long as everyone in the party is on the same page.

I have one fa/tg/uy, besides me, in my group. He asks the most idiotic, pedantic, and irrelevant questions about every single thing. For example: I had a high level mage show him a spellbook, but the book was written in code. The mage asked him to find the key that would allow them to read it. He then asked variations of, "Why can't I read the book? " for ten minutes.

As someone who has been on both sides of screen, sometimes it's not done because of spite or disinterest, sometimes it's because life decides to pile on a bunch of bullshit that you cannot refuse without accidentally causing more issues down the line.

Hell, in my friday game, I haven't seen one dude since the first session and it turns out that the reason why he couldn't come was because his job fucked him over and he's been dealing with a lot of stress and shit and even I've had to drop off the face of the earth when I was trying to deal with college and shit.

Shit happens.

>That's not me though
Yeah, this is me.

And he's right though, it's a one sided crush. Take your shit tier fetish fantasies out of my GOAT fetish fantasies.

I prefer horses to goats in my fetish fantasies

What are you, some kind of pervert?

You included a genderswapped 50 shades of grey character in your list of fictional friends and you're surprised when people laugh at you?

>did you see that ludicrous display last night?
oddly enough works, in various ways depending on the audience.

I've never played with a true fa/tg/uy in my life. All my players are slightly geeky normies who I've had the chance to sculpt the expectations of.

I actually mostly play with friendly acquaintances. Whenever I would try to play a game with my friends it would quickly devolve into us just hanging out rather than actually playing the game.

Google improve lessons.
Keep your guy's core character traits in mind, and try to build your responses around them. I've heard it can help to keep a list of default emotional responses that your character often returns to, and picking the most appropriate response from that list.

Infinitely so, yes.

This post is art.

>They don't go out of their way to ignore plot hooks and then get indignant when there's nothing to do.
FFS.

I used to have a player who would make those 'dark, mysterious, loner' types who were too 'cool' to get involved in the plot or deal with other players and then bitch they were bored.

Used to have.

I play with other normies and it’s better than playing with my hardcore Veeky Forums friend’s group.

They don’t know the monster’s stats or weaknesses. While The Veeky Forums group would immediately use acid or fire on trolls.

I tried to lead Veeky Forums group out of a Swamp by saying: “You see lights in the distance” to imply a town. But they thought they were will-o-wisps (at level 1) and headed in the opposite direction.

Meta gaming is shit and defeats the purpose of the whole game. If I didn’t have my normie friends, I’d quit D&D altogether.

Fuck yes, normies legitimately perform better than dedicated players

>Don't try to optimize
>Characters are either jokes or self-inserts, no edginess nor "what my character would do" moments
>Don't take it seriously, never freaking out if they die/things don't go well
>Don't know rules, all actions are based off of pure logic rather than exploiting mechanics
>All of them are your friends, no neckbeards or spergs

I don't see how people can fucking stand their fellow hobbyists.

>plays a dark mysterious loner who refuses to travel with the party or take up any plot hook he comes across
Why do people do this?
>"Okay user, your character remains in the tavern while the others undertake their journey. Please roll a new character who has a reason to join this adventure."
Why DON'T people do this?

To be fair that's more of a phase people go through.
>don't give a shit, just having fun
>learning about the game and acting like a superior fucktard
>minmaxing, metaabuse etc..
>don't give a shit and just having fun