Fantasy setting

>Fantasy setting
>The gods are a million times less interesting than the real gods from our world

Stop doing this

>Single DM
>Less creativity than the sum total of all human dreamers, divinely inspired artists, and mad prophets throughout history

Come on, guys. Is it really that hard to write something more compelling than the Bhagavad Gita in an hour and a half before the game? And, naturally, if your skill as a storyteller doesn't meet or exceed the standards set by the world's greatest professionals, you shouldn't be running a game at all.

>sci fi setting
>precursors, weird squids, totally-not-humans, sarcastic robots
Stop doing this

>""""""real""""" gods from our world

That's a really big spoon

o-odin is real, s-stop oppressing me c-christcuck

>sarcastic robots
THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

well yes, but the point still stands. Why doesn't your setting's lore beat the entire biblical canon, with all spalts allowed, even the weird ones with giants and angel fucking.

UUUU

Now, which would prefer, homebrewed gods that are your generic fantasy fare but some effort was put into it, or a half assed watered down version of a real world pantheon? Cause sadly, most games I've seen that use real world mythology use a fairly shallow version of it that make God of War something made by Joseph Campell. That said, I would fucking love to play in a game based off of Hinduism ran by somebody who could do it justice.

You know op meant, dingus

If you're implying we should use "real" gods in out games there's a very good reason not to.

>GM: Okay odin agrees to let you summon lighting
>Random player: BUT ACCORDING TO MYTHOLOGY YOU HAVE TO SWALLOW SEMEN IN ORDER TO USE NORSE MAGIC

>My fantasy should have several thousand years of composite fantasy written and rewritten by literal legions of authors inside it like some pointlessly recursive encyclopedia or it's trash.

>Semen
Show where in the Eddas it says that or take your magical realm elsewhere.
>Implying that Lighting, Thor's domain, was Odin's Seidr magic.
>Implying Volva were all sluts
>Implying Skuld let any men near her whilst she raised an army of elves and undead to take the throne of Sweden.
>Implying Loki liked it both ways when he was by far the most magical arsehole in all the nine worlds yet not a single Asir call him out when he accused Odin of liking it both ways.
>Implying the Norns, literal masters of Seidr, even get men down by the wells enough as they weave the tapestry of life.
>Implying far to many implications

In order to get a new horse, you have to fuck Loki

*ladle

>he doesn't want to fuck Loki
the fuck is wrong with you?

/thread

Not enough sarcastic robots, imo.

He doesn't look like Hiddleston user.

I'm working on a fantasy setting with a few friends at the moment, for a game we're making together, and we're trying to do something a bit different with our Gods. While we can't give them the full depth of IRL deities, we also didn't want them to be the generic fantasy staples. Our current efforts have lead to a small number of Gods with incredibly specific primary purviews, which shape their character and personality, while having a lot of the staple fantasy purviews as secondary concerns.

As an example, our Moon god's primary purview is desperate last chances, and their primary characterisation is drawn from that, but they also have the Ocean and Finance as secondary purviews.

It seemed like a decent way of covering our bases and having the kind of elements people would expect while also doing something a little different with the divinities themselves.

>Show where in the Eddas it says that or take your magical realm elsewhere.
Do we really have to go through this every time? The last thread this came up covered this

>Loki
>Has a beard

>Fantasy setting
>God of fire, god of water, god of justice, god of killing
>No gods an average man, a farmer or a middle class working person would ever pray to
>Actual temples to god of moonlight in a town

The greek pantheon did this and I hate it for this.

What? It's that or "beeP Boop I'm boring"

I prefer sickeningly enthusiastic robots

I've never seen this, explain

But... they didn't. You just don't know about most of the lesser Greek gods. Like, there was a god of marriage, called Hymen and stuff, it's just that there were less myths about those gods so we don't know as much about them. And it's not like your average dude couldn't also pray to major gods. Even if you're not a soldier, being on Mars' good side never hurt anybody.
(Surprisingly, Hymen is the etymology for "hymn," but probably NOT "hymen." Go figure, man.)

That being said, for fantasy games, I can see your point. People can get caught up in making the gods way too grand, to the point where they have really specific powers and stuff but nobody has much reason to actually worship them. I feel like people make them like they would NPCs or enemies, not lore things that give people a reason to worship besides being really strong.

Based user burns faggy OP. Again.

>The greek pantheon did this and I hate it for this.
Even if you only take the twelve Olympians you had a lot of gods that your average guy would pray to: Athena and Hephaestus for craftsman, Demeter for farmer, Artemis for hunter, Hermes for merchant.

>Rigveda 10.86.6 - "There is no woman more fair-assed than I, nor better lubricated, nor more counterthrusting, nor a better thigh spreader."

Never forget

Then it's the system's responsibility

>he doesn't believe in the gods

>mfw this is real
Oh shit time to convert.

I, for one, love our new dumb shitpost, and will miss it when it goes away in another week.

I'm so tired of giant space squids, cephalopods are so cool but there always used as a copout.

any works of fiction with good mythology that you reccomend? I think the elderscrolls mythology is pretty gud

>GM: Alright, this is a quest for immortality.
>Player: Oh cool!
>GM: First, you must crawl up an old woman's vagina.

>Less creativity than the sum total of all human dreamers, divinely inspired artists, and Mad Prophets throughout history
Even something derivative of real world mythology and religion would be better than something super generic. It's because those people already thought all of this out and came up with these grand mythos that any single DM has no excuse to do something so boring as a poor-excuse for a copy of the Greek pantheon but much shallower.

I love my religion

You were supposed to say 'Ugh'

Ugh, ugh, UGH!

Owch...

But I think I understand OP point of view...

Usually we can all go along with being Cleric of "Randomzazname God of RandomNormallyGodThing", specially if it religion has really a low impact on the story and the setting... BUT if the GM create something at least a bit interesting and manage to insert it on the game in a nice way this is sure a plus..

In the same way, sometimes it dosent even hurt having a bland generic kingdom with a bland generic story on a bland generic setting... if your tablemates are not complete retards both GM and players could have a great game and have fun..... but a good worldbuilding may achieve awsome things on the hands of a good GM...

The quote is about Shachi (Indrani) the wife of Indra, seducing the Kutsa, Thigh-Born son of Indra. That whole part is so strange, stranger still is the fact that she is actually the daughter of an Asura, but shachi was the basis for the ideas of latter goddesses in the Hindu Myth cycle.

Did she praise her twerking skills too?

Guess that's why the rulebook isn't explicit on the necromancers immortality ritual, they wouldn't have gotten published if they were