So I’m on a trip to Nipponland and I see one of those lotus ponds in the courtyard of a certain temple...

So I’m on a trip to Nipponland and I see one of those lotus ponds in the courtyard of a certain temple. It’s a really big one, just this eerie see of sun speckled green, broken intermittently by those alien looking lotus bulbs. I crouch beneath the leaf-line and look at the waters below, almost completely dark beneath the shadow of the white leaves except for those veins of light where it sneaks in between.

And I think: I want to play a game about tiny people (like, maybe the size of a thumb knuckle, maybe even less) who live on the water, in the shadow of lotus leaves, in the courtyard of a temple. They wear clothes made of leaves and maybe sail on little leaf boats. Fishing and gathering water plants for food.

What else can I add to such a setting? I think I’ll share it with my brother when I return home, he loves that shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QfkrMq2G71g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How high are you right now?

I didn't notice my camera was upside down. You get the point, though.

Depends on how small were talking but here are a few anything animal adaptations o the top of my head
>Bullfrogs are Kaiju-level threats
>Koi are used as vehicles and beasts of burden
>Dragonflies are mounts for the skilled and daring

Text to speech really mangled that post but you get the picture. Also forgot
>Thanks to the dangers of fire, the tiny towns are lit at night by domesticated fireflies

This seems relevant (it's Ainu, not modern Japanese, but who gives a fuck)

>OP does drugs in Japan, channels spirits of ancient indigenous shamans and interprets resultant visions as Veeky Forums ideas

Are you sure to didn't arrive to Australia by mistake?

Further evidence OP is tripping balls.

Is there a supernatural element? I think there's a lot that could be done with Japanese folklore in here.

Also, for cultures that practically existed on the water, look into some parts of Southeast Asia and something called "Marsh Arabs".

Are there dry parts Beneath the Lotus Leaves?

Oh hey, I went there. Pretty cool town.

You mean Hokkaido? I don't think they have lotus ponds there, though. Isn't it way too cold?

If they're that small, isn't fishing most kinds of pond fish for them more like whaling?

Imagine what they'll do with a catfish.

No. That statuette is from a town called Sakaiminato. A manga artist who did a long running series about Yokai lived there and the whole centre of town is dedicated to his characters with shops selling souvenirs related to it.

They've got 153 little brass statues of monsters just like that one in a trail all around town, and posters and banners of all these ghosts. Even the drain covers are Gege no Kitaro themed.

It's a cool place to spend a couple of hours if you're travelling through.

In any case, Koropokoro would be perfect for user's suggested setting.

Well, that's pretty comprehensive. Weird how both this guy and user had such similar ideas.

There's got to be a thing where they collect lotus seeds that fall into the water and use them for sorcery.

Check this out.
youtube.com/watch?v=QfkrMq2G71g

That looks pretty awesome. The dude in furs seems like what OP's looking for.

So how big boats can fit under the leaves? I'm imagining different kingdoms of little people having naval battles with cannons and the like.

I'd love to see this becoming something but I need to go to sleep.

In case anyone else cares, my personal suggestion is that you start thinking about the setting in broad strokes so you got something to start with.

Bump

From Shaman King, Kororo