Have you ever used creatures from the mythologies of obscure countries?

Have you ever used creatures from the mythologies of obscure countries?

Nalusa Faya are choctaw monsters which invisbly sneak into invading homes and pierce a sleeping person's heart with spines that cause irrational hatred and anger.

In otherwords: the spirits of Veeky Forums.

No because there's nothing an exotic creature can do that a normal one can't do.

Jangsan Tiger?

My Black Crusade group accidentally created a giant hair snake called the Lord of the Follicle.

No, but i have used obscure creatures from common countries. A few months back my party encountered some splinter cats and a hoop snake.

no, but I sure would like to.

actually, did use a Man of Stone once, but thats not obscure, it's a native american monster.

made of stone they bounce spears and arrows, to kill them you have to tie or weight them down and burn them for a while.

party dropped a landslide on it and just escaped.

sounds surprisingly subtle.

but if you set it after the party it could well do it's trick on a few townsfolk at every village the party stops at. leaving in their wake dozens or perhaps hundreds of angered citizens. eventually leading to a small army of irrationally angry people tracking down the party...

I could use the FUCK out of one of those...

yeah, except sometimes they have odd weaknesses, strengths, or methods of dispatch that make them a particular thorn in the parties prostate...

>splinter cats and a hoop snake.
and these are a what now?

>splinter cats
Nightvision, check
Stealth, check
Playing with its prey, check
Are you sure they're just normal cats? Or did you see one of them use a silenced pistol to dispatch its prey?

No but, I do have some obscure American monsters

I got more of these, would any one want me to post the rest?

I sure would!

Ok

Fuck you, goddamn tryhard piece of shit.

You think it's a dungeon but instead you get a mimic

Yes.

Attacking the gazebo isn't always a bad idea.

I find this one particularly amusing, because it's practically a living bear trap

Thanks man!

I'm all out so have a windigo from bprd

Wait, so it's a Bobcat?

It's probably related to some native folklore to why Bobcats have short tails

I'm running a polar-region style game, and so far the monsters I've used/plan to use consist of:

>The Yule Cat/Jólaköttur
It's an Icelandic cat that appears before Christmas and eats you if you aren't wearing new clothes. They fought it and it murdered the paladin.
>Akhlut
A big Inuit wolf/orca hybrid monster. It doesn't hunt it packs, but 'tis weak to fire.
>Haietlik
A gigantic Inuit lightning snake that lives in the ocean and is basically the Lagiacrus from monster hunter. This one is gonna be a great session to run. It also preys on the Akhlut.
>Atwuskniges
An indescribable forest spirit that is invisible and throws around axe that can cleave through trees in a single chop. There's almost no fucking information on this guy, so I turned him into an Archfey.

I kinda prefer the deer-corpse version of the Wendigo, even if it isn't entirely accurate.

Spearfinger is metal as fuck.

And rage issues. Seriously, Bobs must be the angriest critters alive.

>Spearfinger is metal as fuck.
It's like something out of a B Slasher Flick. Why is there not a movie starring this thing? It's that perfect mix of weird, rad and disturbing.

It gets better. Spearfinger doesn't just sneak up on people and starts carving up their liver, she fucking takes the form of an adult her chosen victim trusts. And after getting her Liver from the victim, she takes the form of said victim and goes back to their home, so she can get even MORE Livers. This shit is fucking diabolical.

>and these are a what now?
Splinter cats are about the size of your average mountain lion, but they hurtle through the air at ballistic speeds at trees. They do this to prey on raccoons and you know, things that live in trees. After hitting the tree, the tree dies.
Hoop Snakes are snakes that grab their own tails in their mouths, forming a hoop. They roll towards their prey. Some of them have poison tails- when they build up enough speed chasing their prey, they'll stretch out and spear their prey, tail-first.
Wampus Cats can run on four legs or upright on two. They can drive someone insane with a look, but they do have a weakness: If you can sneak up on them and startle them, their power will be turned against them, and they'll tear themselves apart.

My players once encountered a Taniwha, which is from Maori mythology

Speaking of, anyone have that pdf of American cryptids and folk monsters I saw a while back? I’m building an America-based setting and could use some creatures/reskin material

hoop snakes are obscure?

>tfw your town had a infamous coal mine explosion/collapse that fucked up the ground and caused house destroying sinkholes.

it never even occurred to me some people might not have died immediately, how horrifying.

Is that the rare ant wendigo?

Neat AF, ty!
The artist have a very nice style as well; comic book-ish but still with an apparent horror vibe.

No because the bard would try to fuck it, and if he could not, he would ask the wizard to help find a way to fuck it. The bard's lust is the true BBEG if you ask me.

I decided to save them because they kinda reminded me of hell boy, a talking about hellboy here's a pic that gets posted here every now and then

Ah darn, posted them in the wrong order

Nope. How am I supposed to know about them if they're obscure?

Anyway, after spending some time in Romania, I learnt about this creature, the Zburator. I heard two versions of the monster; one is a snake-like, flying monster with a wolf-like head and wind related powers; the other, a half-wolf, half-dragon monster/demon/spirit( wolf shaped with dragon wings and tale, and fiery breath) that can shapeshift into a human with magic powers, kinda like an incubus.
There's also the Balaur, but that's more like your run of the mill multi-headed dragon. The special thing about it is the way it's created; a snake swallows a magic gem made of snake breath, and over the next seven years it transforms into the Balaur.

I'd love to use them in my current campaign, but I gotta figure out how to do so, first.

It can be unknown to the players, giving them the experience of trying to learn what it is and how it works.

You've obviously never fucked with a badger before.

You mean this?

just some of the names on these...

bamp

There was some kind of native america spirit/creature that burrowed into your ankle and ate your insides.

Sounds like an excuse to get drunk.

I am powerfully minded of the boogums and fearsome critters from Manly Wade Wellman's Silver John stories.

Literally a trapper from D&D.

>Moosehead Lake
>Allagash
Yikes.

Yep. The original story of Tailypo is about a brave who cuts off Bobcat's long tail, which leads to Bobcat ripping open his home and cutting open his stomach to get it back. When Bobcat doesn't see it there, it thinks that the brave hid it, and curses mankind. This is why bobcats have no tails and hate humanity.

Fortunately, she had a weakness: her stone-hard skin had a single point, where her right wrist joined her hand, which held her heart. When the Cherokee trapped her, the chickadee landed on her right hand and guided the braves to shoot at her wrist, killing her.

According to Cherokee legend, she also made a great bridge that ran from Hiwassee to Whiteside Mountain, so that she could run from one side of the land to the other, making it so that no one could escape her. This angered the chiefs of the upper world, since it was so high that Spearfinger might jump up into the upper world. So, they shattered it with thunder and lightning and mixed up all the pieces across the land so that Spearfinger couldn't put it back together. This is why the valleys between Hiwassee Bald and Whiteside Mountain have great chunks of loose stone.

Wow the people who make d&d monsters are more well read then you are. I'm fucking shocked. So glad you felt the need to point that out.

no need to get snippy.

and the D&D people might have come up with it independently...I wouldn't credit them with being all that well read most of the time.

What the fuck did you just say?!

Cool. Looks like a nice twist to the classical bard archetype. Also, something written by a guy called Manly's got to be good.