Ever play/play with a "villain" who did nothing wrong?

Ever play/play with a "villain" who did nothing wrong?

Oh no, not this again.

>inb4 "remove qu"

I played in a Dark Heresy campaign where the gm was VERY pro-Chaos. He told us after the fact that he was trying to make the Imperium out to be the bad guys and he wanted us to "fall". We had just very happily purged all taint and done what we could to save civilians from the collateral damage.

>implying he machines didn’t do everything wrong
Worse race confirmed

>be machines
>be literally the most human of the human descendants
>claim your birthright
>fucking spacebugs that look almost exactly like the Qu tell you you're being too mean
yeah nah, the machines did literally nothing wrong, they were the true descendants of mankind and the Spacers only stopped them because the spaceborn psuedo-Qu wanted to be Gods over the other human species

No. We've had morally ambiguous villains in some campaigns, but more often than not they are still in the wrong. The closest our DM got was a halfway decently veiled Nox-esque villain. It's not that he did nothing wrong, he did MANY things wrong, and wanted to go back and fix them all. His methods were just too flawed, too extreme, too horrible to continue.

remove qu
WORST QU SMELL

>Genocide galaxy
>not a villain

Unless the players are running an evil party, it can be pretty hard to pull that kind of shtick in a satisfying way

meh they were ugly anyway

Neat. As a chaos player, I can say that nothing good comes of chaos servitude. Every boon is a temporary distraction; such as heldrakes last edition. The boons rot away and you're left with an expensive paper-weight model that is barely usable.

Kinda. There was a villain who had a good motivation but he actively enabled evil so he had to die.
He made a deal with a devil and pitted his new cult of berzerkers against an evil regime, but the cult was also devoted to a devil so he would eventually become a tyrant as well. So he had to be killed before things got really out of hand.
He had a family, so he didn't want to die, but after some quibbling, the party paladin accepted a deal with the leader of the evil regime to take a giant payment in advance for killing the cultist leader in exchange for the promise that the regime leader would be tried after the battle by a council of paladins, and that the party would be paid a shitton of gold.

What was the paladin council's verdict?

Never got to make it.
The tyrant died.
And the cult leader.
And the paladin.
A lot of people died, actually.

hide Gravital threads
ignore Gravital posts
do not reply to Gravital posters

Ugh.

No good villain actually does anything objectively wrong. They should always be morally ambiguous, but considered evil only from the hero's perspective, otherwise it's just black vs white.

Nah man, it's satisfying to every once in a while pound some objectively evil dickbag into the ground. If the villain is creative enough, him being objectively selfish, ruthless, evil, or something else detestable is fine if everyone is on the same page.

A trash captain or something, maybe. But never an actual villain.

Why play pretend when we can experience such scenario in real life?

Too true.

>brought Germany out of societal collapse
>reinvigorated its economy
>tried to remove the Jewish parasitical influence

The only bad thing to come of it was the demonisation of conservatism.

>The only bad thing to come of it was the demonisation of conservatism.
And that only happened because the bad guys won. History is written by the victors, just as that fat piece of shit Churchil said,

>pic
But Merkel wasn't born until 1954.

>merkel
>reincarnation of Hitler.

Someone ought to slap you for insulting Hitler like that.

"Wrong" is pretty relative. Ive had villains that were doing something horrific because they genuinely believed it would create a better world for everybody. However, in all three instances where I ran a game with that sort of villain, they were tricked by somebody or some thing that stood to gain from the solution they chose, or were at the very least neutral.

A good example was The Pit of Sorrows, which was a sort of artificial hell created by a cabal of wizards as a place to put things they didnt like very much and to test their magic. Basically anything that was in the pit was in the pit forever, and even if it was destroyed it would re-materialize or time would reverse and eventually it would be back. So, naturally it was full of monsters or the equivalent thereof: beings who had been thrown in there, and lived so long that they'd turned feral in one way or another. Eldest among them was the guy who created The Pit, who was quickly cast into it by his comrades so they could use it without him getting in the way. Long story short, The Eldest guides a local hero to the pit and helps him slay the wizards, before convincing him that the Pit could be a paradise if he dumps enough good stuff in there, namely good people, because eventually they will outnumber and cast out the monsters to the edge of the pit. Great plan, but it requires you to kidnap good folks then throw them into an inescapable hellpit to die over and over again until a critical mass is reached. Obviously the Eldest wasnt going to let this happen, and he basically just wanted more people to play with.

Several times.

A tormented spirit that was lashing out in pain and anger had to be stopped. We discovered the truth of why the ghost was trapped, gave them justice and removed their body to be properly buried.

A thief attempting to steal from people rich enough that the loss would do them no injury.

A mentally ill person terrified they would kill, seeking to be found and captured before they did.

Innocent antagonist work best for mystery/ investigation stories.

>plan starts to succeed
>the elder wizard in the pit seeks out the PCs to make them stop the (ex-)hero who is actually succeeding in building a paradise through evil means

>be literally the most human of the human descendants

Hahahaha. No. The machines were just as damaged by the Qu as everyone else and the course of their evolution forever corrupted by it.

Only those who fled to the stars remained pure and uncorrupted by outside influence. Only they set the course of their own destiny.

REMOVE QU!
Remove Que!

Getting lobotomized and made safe was the best thing that could ever have happened to the Machine "People".

It wouldnt have worked. The end-game of The Eldest, and of The Pit itself was to create a pocket reality where he was God etc.

Having the main act be irredeemably inexcusably evil would lose its fun factor after a while, yes, but I think having the occasional me me me villain who the party can stomp without having to ask "what if" everytime can be refreshing.
The blacks and whites allow for the gray and silver to shine. The straight evil can still be smart, conniving, clever, loyal to his men, and many other aspects that make for interesting villains. A selfish lich that is only interested in collecting power for himself and stomping on those that want to stop him can still make moves and cause interesting developments if he hasn't gone complete stupid evil.

Could have worked anyway though
How could he be god if he was trapped there by his colleagues? Surely he didn't build it imagining he would be trapped there, as he was put there by others. Thus there may be a back door to remove him from power.

He built it, so it'd be difficult to depose him. He's only trapped because its unfinished. Either way, thats not the way I wanted to take things, mostly because it would be boring to A. have all this shit my players have been working on be for nothing and B. then make the best course of action be to just kidnap a ton of folks and throw them in a hole.

>A selfish lich that is only interested in collecting power for himself and stomping on those that want to stop him can still make moves and cause interesting developments if he hasn't gone complete stupid evil.

That's grey morality, though. The lich isn't doing evil things for the sake of evil, he's doing it to gain power. He has a purpose that isn't just "I'm bad so that's why I do bad things". If he starts burning bags of puppies just for the muhahas, then he's gone from grey villain to shitty black villain.

I wish /pol/ stayed in /pol/

Closest I've ever gotten was this shaman of a mostly irrelevant tundra tribe who discovered a leftover God-artifact and was messing about with it without really understanding what it did and had the colossal potential for disaster.

But even then, he did stuff that was wrong; and his goals were mostly the aggrandizement of his raider tribe.

And I wish fags stayed on Plebbit, yet here you are.

I wish you would kill yourself

A recurring 'villain' in the game I'm currently running is a Hellknight. Full Darth Vader aesthetic, big bulky armor, black cape, glowing rune carved sword, booming voice, legions of steampunk stormtroopers following him into combat.

He's fought with the party a couple times because their interests have come into conflict with each other, but his ultimate goal is actually pretty good.

He's purely driven by an entirely selfless desire to combat an apocalyptic threat that's bearing down on the entire world, as well as smack down demonic doomsday cults and anything else that would kill a lot of innocent people.

He's Lawful Evil, and right now LAWFUL is taking such a front row that evil is a barely considered afterthought. Even traditional evil looks like good compared to omnicidal destruction.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Jeez, an old copypasta? Plebbit really is behind the times.

You are worst human.

>there are "humans" which think the gravital are villains in this very thread
What sad times we live in.

>the gray and silver
What did they mean by this?

>commit genocide
>spare the most boring human species
>wipe out all the cool ones
Machines were a mistake, bugfacers were a mistake. Sail people and symbiotes should have inherited the galaxy

If wishes were fishes we would all cast bait.

>Sail people and symbiotes
>Deep Ones and Jews inherit the galaxy
yeah nah m8 fuck off

>high level DND campaign
>villain was fed up with the injustice and suffering of the world
>schemed to create a device that would painlessly kill every living thing on the material plane
>Good aligned souls would go to their heavenly afterlife and all the Evil souls would go to their personal hell as per DND rules

I honestly had a hard time finding fault with him. Why live here when I can go to the awesome Chaotic Good plane?

This fiction that transhumanism and posthumanism will be ugly is just fucking retarded. That whole collection of idiot drivel grind my gears.

the whole plot of most of it was that evil aliens made humanity gross and ugly as punishment for trying to get all transhumany. They didn't choose to look like that, they were forced into a body horror situation by sadistic alien demigods and only managed to claw their way back to sapience after millennia of evolution.

This. The Star Men were basically just humans engineered for low-G living. Everything that came after that was Qu shittery.

BBEG

And I wish /pol/fags didn't samefag just so they could have someone reply to their bait, but here we are.

>Newfag bragging about newness.

Summer ended two months ago, champ.

hmmm