Green overgrown post-apocalypse > radioactive desert post-apocalypse

green overgrown post-apocalypse > radioactive desert post-apocalypse

I agree. Have fun on page 10!

No, just no user...

What you need is some variation...

Have some woodland ruins in one direction, deserted junkyards in another, and more well preserved remains in the last. Place unique loot/threats in each and boom!

You’ve got a much more fun setting...

rad desert is better, more desperate
green postapoc is just >lol farming

I'm inclined to agree, but the bleached aesthetic is pretty kino.

I think we can all agree that the worst is the dreary, bleak, rusty and scrap centric post-apoc

hmmmmmmm....
nah

Redpill me on the whole "color coded apocalypse" thing

each apocalypse flavor is an appeal to whatever "anarcho-x" ideology you like more

>Redpill me on the whole "color coded apocalypse" thing

Different user, but sure thing, user. Basically, they're used to organize not what 'happened' to the world, but what the world ended up like post-apocalypse:

>Green
The world is lush, overgrown, nature is vibrant, and civilization is buried and even quite possibly forgotten under a sea of green as nature recovers. Examples include The Last of Us, Life After People, Chernobyl.

>Blue
The world has been drowned, completely flooded and washed away by the tide, the whole world is a literal water world and land is scarce and scattered, but reefs, shallows, and warm weather is abundant. Examples include Adventure Time (sort of), Wind Waker, Water World.

>Red
Your standard desert world, australian setting where the globe has been cooked by some means or another and left a arid wasteland. Millions of Examples including Mad Max, Fallout, Tank Girl, Nausicaa Valley of The Wind.

>White
The globe's been frozen and a new ice age basically terrorizes who's ever survived in this chilly, inhospitable, but occasionally cozy, snowball earth. Examples include Girls Last Tour and uhhh.. I guess that one time it happened in the middle ages?

>Grey
Absolute worst case scenario where the world has been completely sanitized and can't even be left to rot as even the mold and mildue is extinct- a grey, lifeless, hopeless world that can't even die properly. Examples include 9 ...And maybe the Matrix?

All apocalyptic landscape have something cool going on for them.

>Examples include 9 ...And maybe the Matrix?
The original novel 'The Road' is also like this.

>Grey
>Absolute worst case scenario where the world has been completely sanitized and can't even be left to rot as even the mold and mildue is extinct- a grey, lifeless, hopeless world that can't even die properly. Examples include 9 ...And maybe the Matrix?
I would say that The Road fits this description as well.

>White
>The globe's been frozen and a new ice age basically terrorizes who's ever survived in this chilly, inhospitable, but occasionally cozy, snowball earth. Examples include Girls Last Tour and uhhh.. I guess that one time it happened in the middle ages?

>The Time of the Great Freeze
>The Long Winter
>The Day After Tomorrow (sort of)

>Examples include Girls Last Tour and uhhh.. I guess that one time it happened in the middle ages?
What about Metro 2033?

And then there's Horizon Zero Dawn, which is Green but with bits of Red and White.

Of course, before that it was Grey

>I think we can all agree that the worst is the dreary, bleak, rusty and scrap centric post-apoc
You mean the best

>Nausicaa Valley of The Wind.
>Red
Nigga what

Nausicaa is green af

How did we get robotics and super computers 300 years after the parasite buried in the planet devastates the world with the Rains of Destruction?

Isn't most of Tolkmekia and parts of the Dorok lands mostly wasteland? iirc it's primarily the periphery lands that are fertile

>Nigga what
>Nausicaa is green af

Nausicaa Valley of The Wind's setting takes place in a toxic nuclear desert full of pools of acid, dotted and spotted with little green oasis and then even further separated by massive toxic jungles of pollution-scrubbing fungi. Just because a setting has 'some' greenery, doesn't mean it shifts colours, the vast majority of Nausicaa's world, environment, and aesthetic is fundimentally 'Red' in narrative nature and that's mostly what matters.

That's my opinion on the matter at least.

>sortofroadmind

The vast majority of the world is covered by the toxic jungle. It's even called "the sea of corruption" and the event that is happening in the background of the comic is the Daikaisho which is basically an explosion in size of the toxic jungle. All this shit fuels wars between desperate countries and the use of insects in war, but the insects produce more spores and more toxic jungle etc. Humans are forced to retreat to areas yet uncovered by the jungle which is always on rapid expansion.

The whole theme of the comic is that nature is starting over, the jungles are brimming with life and the planet is telling humans to fuck off

There's also that movie The Colony

>How did we get robotics and super computers 300 years after the parasite buried in the planet devastates the world with the Rains of Destruction?
Those things existed in 1999.

Chrono was from the year 1000.

Agree, please post more pictures.

Always felt they should have just made the main character and her people actual robots as well.
If nothing else, it would have lampshaded the fact that she's just Female Protagonist With Bow #456823-492B

>they should have just made the main character and her people actual robots as well.
Oh man that would've been so damn cool

There aren't enough games with robot protagonists.

Tokyo Jungle was a really neat setting

Especially *sexy* robot protagonists like pic related...

CLANG

Blue board mate. Delet

>. Examples include 9 ...And maybe the Matrix?
Blame! is perhaps the prime example of grey

I intend to run a campaign for Atomic Highway ( or a serie of disconected one shot maybe) and I'd like a few advice
>does any user from Arizona have any revelants topics or place about this states? I'd really like to set it there
>would it be interesting to make the campaign into a roadtrip following the Road 66 from Tuscon to Chicago? What would be fun plothook and interesting stops along the way?

>Blame! is perhaps the prime example of grey

I like Tsutomu Nihei's stuff, but boy oh boy does it freak me out in a particular way that I'm not really used to.
Also, I'm still mad about Knights of Sidonia ending without really answering ANYTHING at all about the Gauna beyond their immediate context and abilities; we still don't know really anything about them.

Turqoise a best

Yeah, but I still like the organic nature of them. It's a neat idea of a slowly recovering biosphere, with humans and animals being introduced.

And of course Aloy being a clone.

Different user here, but the key to really slapping people in the face with "Wow, this is truly a post-apocalyptic world" is the metaknowledge that the players will have of what the locations along the way used to be like in the pre-apocalypse, and how they've changed in the years since.

Like, imagine some hick town with a feedlot and slaughterhouse attached. Fast-forward through the bombs, the looting, the fires, the starving, and to the present day. The feedlot infrastructure is still there (the mesh fences, etc.) only reinforced with whatever could be salvaged from nearby. The signage of a cute cartoon pig feeding himself into a grinder (I couldn't find the logo but it's a real logo for spiral-sliced ham) is still hanging around the building (but now the signs have started to fade and are covered with stains and splatters). Behind the mesh fences are emaciated humans captured in a raid to be used in the fight-pit that the slaughterhouse has been converted into.

What about a setting in the almost-apocalypse? Things are falling apart, but people are barely holding it together with duct tape and prayers while the fixers run around and try to restore safety and order and stop whatever is trying to end the world.

What colour of apocalypse dose tg think the Nightland would be?

That's a nice suggestion thanks, a slaughterhouse would be a pretty nice place to explore. I'll try to learn about landmarks, I feel a bit more inspired than before.
So far the place I had in mind was
>a stone quarry (which I will use to introduce the campaign as there is already a small one shot scenarii in the rule book)
>the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group near Tuscon; it's a huge plane boneyard
>A slaughterhouse/feedlot where people are thrown into the machine.
>The remnant of an Indian reservation would be nice to, especially with the obligatory spiritual journey fueld by drugs

I think I'll try to make the setting a bit strange without falling to fully wacky territory. I have yet to settle on the cause of the apocalypse and the "feel" of the setting, probably a balance between desert and overgrown city

I like that. Evangelion comes to mind for me. The world kind of blew up but not enough to end civilization, and now everything is teetering on the edge, like a bus hanging off the side of a cliff.

Picture is from Tom Clancy's The Division, for the record. New York City suffers an act of domestic bioterrorism (a release of basically super-smallpox during Black Friday) and falls into chaos, threatening hte rest of the country in the process. The players are agents of the Strategic Homeland Division - "the Division," for short - domestic sleeper agents activated by the federal government to take up arms and wade into the anarchy of NYC to find a cure for the plague, restore utilities and break the backs of those organized groups who would sooner take over the city or let everything crash and burn.

I'd say it's a new category, which should be named Black in its honour.

The colour system can be brought down to "what kills you."

In Green, it'll be the nature. Poisonous plants or wild animals.
In Blue, you drown.
In Red, generally it's the heat, sometimes (in cold Reds) it's just a lack of food.
In White, it's the cold.
In Grey, you suffocate or choke to death.

In Black, horrific creatures from beyond eat you.

It's more the idea of "what's left behind." A green apocalypse is a world where nature is given the opportunity to reassert itself after mankind disappears.

>What about a setting in the almost-apocalypse? Things are falling apart, but people are barely holding it together with duct tape and prayers while the fixers run around and try to restore safety and order and stop whatever is trying to end the world.

True, but of course the irony is that reds are heavily influenced by Mad Max, where it's not a desert because of any disaster or anything. It's just because it's Australia.

Grey would also be starvation.

Red would be more suited to thirst, with starvation as a secondary concern.
Starvation fits grey quite well.

One of my friends watched the first Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou OVA merely because someone said that it was a post-apocalypitic anime setting.
He was expecting Hokuto no Ken, it was fun to see him despair at the calmness of the cozy post-apocalypse.

I thought you were going to post Fist-o from Fallout

>where it's not a desert because of any disaster or anything. It's just because it's Australia.
Nah, it's a desert in Road Warrior and beyond because atomic war fucked up the world's climate between Mad Max and 2.

The original Mad Max is full of trees and water.

I worked on a post apocalyptic supers game where each kind of super coincided with a different cause of the apocalypse.

I'll see if I can find it, if anyone is interested.

Isnt it that its actually the regular outback, but the coast is far too irradiated to live in?

Trigun to some extent qualifies. Humanity is more or less getting along fine, but the Plants are practically black box technology. All the major cities are centered on the Plants so if something goes wrong with one it is more or less an unrecoverable catastrophe on a local scale.

That movie pissed me off. Because the story wants me to take its apocalypse and grittiness very seriously, because all of the problems stem from a calamity they refuse to explain.

> Everyone's dead

Sure. Thats fine. WW3 and all. I get that.

> Its getting colder

Shit man, nuclear winter. That's rough. Ice ages are never fun, but you can bundle up and survive that if you-

> No animals survived

Wha- what do you mean no animals survived? How the fuck does that happen? Do you have any idea how many animals there are?

> All the plants are dead

Like, from lack of sunlight? That would fuck with the ecosystem, but there are lots of plants that would-

> ALL the plants are dead

Well smartass, if the plants and animals are dead, how the fuck are the people still alive?

> the last survivors of humanity, killing each other for what few resources remain, in this grim and dark

No, I mean where is all of the oxygen coming from? If all of the plants are dead, where is the O2 coming from. Or are the oceans okay? Because if the oceans are okay enough to refresh our air, they are okay enough to provide food for us. Especially if almost everyone is dead anyway.

> Earthquakes

WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU MOTHERFUCKERS DO TO KILL A PLANET THIS HARD, BUT SOMEONE LEAVE ALL THESE ASSHOLES WITH GUNS STILL AROUND?

Yeah, that's honestly the most likely outcome for a so called 'apocalypse'. Not the biomecha, obviously, but just humanity getting its shit together. Shit might get hairy for a few years after a massive catastrophy, but unless something fundamentally has changed about the planet, like electricity is no longer allowed to work or some fucking aliens stole our water, we already have the tools to bounce back as a civilization. Not everyone will make it, but enough will to rebuild.

In Fury Road they talk about driving for a hundred some odd days across "the Salt". I assume that's what the Pacific Ocean's being called. And the game(take it as you will) is set almost entirely in the desert-ified sea bed with dried coral, piles of dehydrated seaweed, and rusted out ship hulks strewn about the landscape.

Except that we've removed all the easily available aluminum.
We would not be able to recreate our tech base if it took more than a decade to get everything back to current industrial levels.

>In Fury Road they talk about driving for a hundred some odd days across "the Salt"
I never understood this part of the movie. They wouldn’t have had nearly enough gas for a 100+ day drive across the sea, let alone food or water. I get that they were pretty low on options but they don’t act like it’s the 100% guaranteed suicide that it is.

Didn't they say they had enough gas/supplies to do just that?

Gamma ray cowboys>Jungle bunnies

Nausicaä is far worse than that.
Nausicaä is where the world got so badly fucked, that its atmosphere is alien, so alien that humanity has long been replaced by a severely modified version Its the best part.
And its not a given.
I can't even remember if its suppose to be Grey, but Posthuman technology saves it, or Red into White into Red.

Nausicaä is essentially a Death World, except humans can't survive there, due wrong atmosphere.
For fucks sake, I can't even remember if the idea is that Corruption is used to greate a Grey one, so that its possible to resettle the world, after atmosphere is unfucked
There is also one more twist: The AI overlord that is indirectly running things, do not want to gamble the fate of Humanity on natural evolution adapting to a fresh unfucked non nuclear atmosphere

The novel doesn't really explain much either, but seems to imply that the biosphere isn't entirely dead; just not capable of supporting the environment as we know it.

Snowpiercer for White too, user.

Fav is def green

Agreed, but green postapoc can be great with the addition of some survival pressure. Mutants, Zombies, Megafauna ect.

Max emphasizes that it is, in fact, suicidal. It is also possible that they were being hyperbolic

Almost apocalypse can be fun for megacorp resource wars where all civilian institutions are being sacrificed one-by-one in last-stand attacks and counterattacks by hardhearted paramilitary supersoldiers.

Reign in your autism. A conceivable scenario would be a bioweapon that kills everything with a cell wall. The food pyramid collapses bottom to top, and only humans survive because of canned goods (plus some fungi and bacteria, but who cares). I'm sure there are better scenarios, but this is just off the top of my head.

Also, it would take a fuckload of time to deplete the oxygen in the air, especially once most consumers starve.

You forgot about all the new, even easier to extract 'deposits' that would become available once the people got out of the way and their pop cans, aircraft, storage depots full of ingots, electrical wiring, and a thousand other things became available for recycling.

>>No, I mean where is all of the oxygen coming from?
it would literally take hundreds of yeas for oxygen to disappear even if all oxygen producing lifeforms died

Black :
the world is a vast empty city

blame!
gone with the blastwave

>Examples include Girls Last Tour and uhhh.. I guess that one time it happened in the middle ages?
Are you forgetting something?

>Didn't they say they had enough gas/supplies to do just that?
They couldn't possibly have enough water on those bikes. It's recommended a woman drink 1/2 gallons of water every day. They could probably get away with less but it's a scorching desert so I'll just say 1/2 gallons per day. That means each person would need to have 10 of pic related for a 100 day ride. This is being generous with the heat, too. I didn't see 10 water coolers per person on those bikes.

>they are going to scavenge water during their trip on the the barren evaporated ocean
No way in hell.

Nuclear winter post-apocalypse>Green post-apocalypse>Desert post apocalypse
Prove me wrong

Mortal Engines doesn't take place in an ice age though. Everything past the Shield Wall is fairly green, Europe's barren because its been churned up by the traction cities, while African states like Zagwa are pretty good environmentally.

It also implies there is hope that some places are not like this.

Black > Blue > Green > Other > Red > White

White is so fucking boring, no one knows what to do with it

>like electricity is no longer allowed to work or some fucking aliens stole our water,
We need a color for this type of Apocalypse. Because sm Stirling can't be the only asshole writing about it

Would probably be green and red/grey respectively.

Octarine. If you're talking about an alteration in how reality works you might as well use a fictional color.

White in games seems like it'll have hard times in its tone while if it's a piece of fiction, melancholy is generally the result.

Blue and Green are my top two for settings cause you can run a fantasy game and you can leave clues as to what the world actually is.

>Mixed colour apocalypses

Man/Environment>Man/Man>Man/Society

>Grey
>Not listing The Road
It's so grey it's actually faded out black

>colour from space apocalypse

That's rather specific.

>Getting triggered this much over head-canon
The novel and movie NEVER mention what caused the scenario. McCarthy quite openly didn't consult a single person about possible source of such world while writing a book. And a common consensus is about asteroid and/or Earth changing orbit. Explains all that ash, lack of sun and most of life dying out.

White is often difficult to do because Winter isn't exactly a very forgiving or optimistic environment: things are cold, lack energy, snow is bad, etc.. Keep in mind that the other colours can obviously be harsh and unforgiving, but can still ultimately hold onto 'hope blooms when nature persist' and that's typically what keeps people motivated and pushing forward in an apocalyptic narrative.

You could have the most nuclear blasted, arid, hot, n' toasty mad-max wasteland, but as long as there's water SOMEWHERE you'd still have critters and plants popping up to make life worth living. When the Triassic extinction event burned down all the forests with the scary giant insects, turned the world into a desert, deprived the world of oxygen, and basically killed 90% of all living things: gophers still persisted. Gophers, in fact, persisted so hard: living off of roots, tubers, dry grasses, and digging burrows, they made up 95% of all the fossilized land animals in that period.

>t would literally take millions of yeas for oxygen to disappear even if all oxygen producing lifeforms died
FTFY

One reason why Interstellar was so stupid.

Fire Punch is a good white

the choking referred to the duststorms, user

If you're talking about Interstellar, they literally stated that the protag's kids would be the last generation because the planet was almost out of oxygen.

Anyone got good art of stuff like dried up oceans type environments?

>tanker cleanly through a skyscraper
How?