If you could only play one traditional game for the rest of your life, what would it be? Assume an ideal group

If you could only play one traditional game for the rest of your life, what would it be? Assume an ideal group.

Legends of the Wulin. It's a clusterfuck of a system to learn, but I've gotten past the learning curve and no other game can provide the same kind of experience.

Doesn't matter, as long as I can houserule it into whatever I want.

So probably start with some simple generic system that has lots of space to expand.

Dnd 3.5. It's just my favorite. Dark Heresy comes close though

Gurps

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

>ideal group
3.5, no question

I'm really enjoying 5th edition, it has a lot of possibilities and I'm sure I could find a lot of keep me occupied if I keep mixing up characters.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition

GURPS.
Then I get to play all kinds of games, genres and settings as usual. I'd have to skip on the occasional specialized and better system, but oh well.

Strike!

Mostly because It's more of a skeleton of a game, so I can just expand it infinitely.

>not risus

i see post expressing this oppinion all the time. srsly wtf is the big deal? what makes it so praised?

Also a good option, but Strike! already expanded in some directions I'd have went anyway.

heroes unlimited and all the books that are compatible with it. not all at once but using a handful of books at a time.

also:
this is required to be posted in every thread ever because, GURPS

To run I'd say Barbarians of Lemuria, I really like the system and I could probably switch the setting on a whime by tweaking a few rules
As a player I have no idea because I don't take the role often

GURPS.

Now I can play all the games.

I can destroy the world for much cheaper than 2200 points.

Superjump is a wonderful drug.

System or games?
For system it'd be the 40krpg system
Game in particular I'd have to give to Deathwatch or Only War

30 levels of superjump deals 300 million damage

Take level 2 of unkillible means you won’t die from that.

Totaled that costs 400 points.

You also go faster than C so that’s a thing.

Fate Core

What's the most "satisfying" but lean system to play in? I really liked rolling lots of d10 in NWoD but the system was pretty easy to work with.

WFRP, if lean means that the core mechanics are simple. There's a bunch of additional splatbooks though.

My shitty homebrew which I already do atm, otherwise I'd like to play Shadowrun.
Or GURPS.

RIFTS, with all the setting and tech books, alternate splats, etc.

Depends on what satisfies you.

I really like tough combats, and using my character's abilities ,skills, teamwork, positioning, improvisation etc. to my advantage to win is the most satisfying feeling, especially when backed by IC banter and rewarded with progression. Because of this

Mythras

It's a system with a unique niche. Usually, rules light goes with narrative, rules heavy goes with granular and simulationist. LotW bucks this trend by being a rules heavy narrativist system. It fucks up a lot explaining how it works, but for people with a taste for it the combination is incredibly compelling, and there are no other games I've found which really scratch the same itch.

FATE I guess? Maybe GURPS?

Presumably this "ideal group" premise includes the premise of me having any idea what I'm doing.

D&D 3.5. West marches style campaign where each campaign influences the history of the world and moves on to the next generation with the next campaign.

in english, doc.

>Mythras

Good man.

Crunchy, mechanically heavy games usually focus on trying to realistically or authentically simulate reality, putting the focus of the system on doing so via complex mechanics.

Rules light, minimalist games often put their focus on narrative tropes and cliches instead, using our understanding of how stories work and how a certain setting or genre functions to reinforce the relatively light mechanics.

These are just tendencies, not absolute rules. There are less crunchy simulationist games, and crunchier narrative games, but generally the tendency holds true.

Legends of the Wulin is a significant outlier, as it uses a more complex and crunchy set of mechanic to represent and emulate genre and narrative tropes, specifically the high action and drama of Wuxia fiction. Its combat system is designed around creating awesome fight scenes, but is mechanically enjoyable to play, something which most narrative focused systems lack, while also functioning as a very effective storytelling tool.

The system has a boatload of problems, but until another game explores the same space I don't really have any other options.

World in flames. I've been playing it for years and there's always more to do.

frankly, you would deserve it

hey! that actually answered the questions I had. to bad it's wuxia or I'd try it

This was my first thought. I tend to go to genre-specific games before GURPS, but if you only get one game, GURPS can roughly approximate most other games.

Gurps, not because of the system, but because you are guaranteeing a ideal group that will actually play gurps.