Are there any floating islands in your setting? How did they came to be? What lives on them?

Are there any floating islands in your setting? How did they came to be? What lives on them?

Also, post floating island pics

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4IrA6af0SJs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Monitoring this thread

They were created by frog people to create more room to live and grow food.

There used to be until the PCs "accidentaly" destroyed the magic mechanism that made them float.

The settings not!Elves had created them simply because they came to believe they were so superior to other races they literally belonged above them, so they created a huge city of floating islands where they could live away from the filthy plebs.

Turns out they had been up there so long they didn't know anymore who lived down there and how things had advanced until it was too late for them.

>Are there any floating islands in your setting?
Yup. One.
>How did they came to be?
Some necromancer figured out how to enslave ghosts in such a way that they carry the island.
>What lives on them?
Pirates. They will fly over your fortress, dump from hot sand, pebbles, arrows and whatnot. Then they go down to capture and loot in some wyverns and many medieval parachutes. Slaves fuel the necromantic-shrine-antigrav-engine. Their home is a valley with no terrestrial routes to acess.

I will post some images

>Are there any floating islands in your setting?
No, I'm more into low fantasy.

Just like that Papuan tribe Ed Stafford encountered. I came here expecting them in the sky, but this one is also neat.

We floatin island thread?
youtube.com/watch?v=4IrA6af0SJs

How do you justify the floating?

Floating island is actually agiant floating sea turtle
Or giant Airbag-beetle that clung to a patch of land and is slowly eating it's nutrients

You wouldn't guess it due to the blur but this is actually a photo of a town in the iraqi marshes.

A section of the continent with a mountain range got blown apart, and a wind dragon decided to shack up in the biggest rock it could find. All the rocks floated out of the ocean, and some bird people built a high altitude farming society on the now flying islands.

There's one above the irradiated area of the desert, which came about as a direct result of the thaumic bombardment that irradiated the desert area in the first place.
Nothing really "lives" there, it's mostly energy beings and ghosts who punk there since they can be in peace there.
It's because the whole rock itself is more irradiated than the ground zero.
It is, in fact, the original ground zero, and the desert ground zero is just the surrounding desert flowing in to fill the void the island made when it flew off.

Yes there are, due to a number of reasons from elemental properties being mixed up (naturally occurring), magitech meddling, or consequences of an ancient war between mortals and gods.

The party recently salvaged one of these islands that had been used as a mobile fortress in the aforementioned war. Carved into the shape of a giant manta ray, it offers a great deal of space to farm or build on, multiple lower decks and a not-bright-but-eager-to-please AI, sort of a cross between Siri and a golden retriever in personality.

I have no art for it, so please accept pic related instead.

I think floating islands fit in low fantasy as long as there are either only a small handful or it is a major part of the setting.

Oh wait I get it. Nevermind.

There's a couple, thanks to magistocrats and their hedonism.

>Are there any floating islands in your setting
Yes, one very large one connected to a series of smaller ones by wooden rope bridges that have to be routinely maintained so they don't snap from the island's movement

>How did they came to be
Nobody really knows, but it's theorized that whatever caused The Scar, a location on one continent where the is littered with sickly-looking purple crystals of varying sizes, blew the land that was once covering it into the sky. They've only known about the islands for less than 5 years.

>What lives on them?
Currently, nothing. However there are signs of an ancient civilization. The bridges, for instance, were there when discovered, and there are ruined crumblings of what were once stone buildings. No corpses, though, so what made them is anyone's guess. Elves are saying it was clearly elves.