I'm playing in an urban fantasy setting where my character uses fire but it always burns her clothes off...

I'm playing in an urban fantasy setting where my character uses fire but it always burns her clothes off. What everyday clothing can I wear so I'm not naked at the end of every combat?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=15478
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaper
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superabsorbent_polymer
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How hot are we talking about? Would it incinerate firefighters suit? What about chainmail?

If in a historical/old-fantasy setting, anything wool, but you should probably still have her douse herself in water before the fight for good measure. Wool doesn't burn well, and wet wool is basically impossible to set fire to.

If something more modern: Polyester, Nylon, other synthetic fibers like that. Still probably not the worst idea to douse yourself in water first, though, just in case.

Failing that, really, just... douse yourself in water before fighting with fire, it's probably going to be at least mildly effective regardless of what you're wearing.

pretty much this

>If something more modern: Polyester, Nylon, other synthetic fibers like that.
DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU'RE TURNED ON BY IMPROMPTU BODYSUITS AND SEVERE BURNS.

I actually had a PC in a jokey modern Wuxia game who had this issue. Her Fire Chi raged out of control. She ended up having some fire resistant undewear made, shorts and a sports bra, that would mostly survive. Except when she went all out, or when they got cut, which led to more than a few funny scenes.

The character is already getting their clothes burned off, so I'm assuming they're immune to burns. They asked to end up not naked, not to end up comfortable and not covered in melted plastic.

Those suits are designed to resist radiant heat, not direct flame exposure.

Literally a bikini chainamail or some bullshit like that.

This is, amusingly, the exact situation you want to be wearing asbestos for.

Have someone make you a aluminum tunic

Hot enough and you wouldn't need cloths anymore, just stay flamed for the intimidation factor alone.

Anyone complains about it and their lungs mysteriously crisp from super-heated air.

that has got to be the gayes jacket I've ever seen...

Maybe chain male or something like this.

Stop coming to Veeky Forums for advice on your erp

It's possible to do comedic nudity in a game without it being full on ERP.

It burned her nipples off too.

Polyester, nylon, and synthetic fibers are not only flammable, they MELT as they burn, sticking to the skin and causing more severe burns.
The US army recently banned synthetic clothing in an effort to reduce burns caused by IED explosions.
>archive.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=15478

Are we talking Human Torch here, or do you just burn yourself with stray sparks and embers?

Just carry around spare clothes you dungus

google fire retardant clothing

Fire resistant clothing is a thing it's king of expensive and might make you look like a redneck or refinery worker but you shouldn't end every fight stark naked.

You could just drape yourself in a fire-retardant blanket and pin it into a cloak.

>leather
>tin foil
>wet anything
>literally anything in layers

Pfft, Easy answer. What you are looking for is materials made out of Asbestos.
Problem solved.

welding apron (with nothing else underneath)

alternatively, oversized greatcoat that you discard before using powers

If it's urban fantasy, couldn't you enchant something to be fire resistant?

Could probably get himself some firefighter turnouts but those are heavy and high profile. Hard to sneak around hunting vampires when people come running to you for help on the street.

>welding apron (with nothing else underneath)
>mfw naked apron

Get one of those fireproof suits nascar drivers wear.

this
asbestos is an element, and a relatively common one, it should be no problem to have it in your setting
the problem is does pose is little bits of it getting in your character's lungs and causing issues in there, but if you just stow it away and only put it on before using fire power it should be fine

>everyday clothing
Fun Fact (hold you magical realm): Diapers dont burn with fire!!!
They are made with superabsorbent polymer, the same sustance used in fire retardant gel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaper
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superabsorbent_polymer

If magic is a thing in your setting, get some magic clothes, if possible. Like find an elemental tailor, or whatever.

If not, is good.

Other common materials for the poverty stricken adventurer might be regular chains. Flexible enough to fit in a back pack and be temporarily used as a body wrap until she can get a change.

Or, if it's not raining, consider covering your self in an ash body"suit" after battle like pic-related.

PBI fabric or kevlar are effectively fireproof and can stand the heat of burning gasoline or wood. PBI has the advantage that it's acutely not that unconformable to wear.

It’s Magic Knight Rayearth, the authors don’t do nipples

they are missing out

This. Nomex is super soft and comfy.

This. Fucking hell user

Leather jacket and/or pants. Natural leather is a bitch to get burning.

Leather also fits well with an urban fantasy aesthetic, so it's a double win!

Y'all are getting too caught up in the material of the clothes when what you really need is some tear away pants and a poncho for instant battle readiment.

This. Except don't worry, asbestos fibers are extremely fine, hence insulation causing cancer.

Clothing is no problem if you wear it.

Also flashy as fuck.

Clothes made from Nomex

>alternatively, oversized greatcoat that you discard before using powers
Behold the majesty of the flaming hero Hotflash!

GENIUS IDEA
SHE COVERS HER BODY IN THE HOT ASHES OF THE AFTERMATH LIKE A FEMALE BIG BOSS, EXCEPT THIS INCLUDES HER VAG WHICH IS HAIRY ENOUGH TO HIDE FULL GENITAL VISIBILITY
AND OF COURSE, ON HER NIPPLES

AND SHE WETS THE ASH ALSO, SO SHE'S GOT SOME ACTIVATED ASHES CHARCOAL SHIT GOING ON/ASHPAINT PASTIES

THIS MAKES PERFECT EROTIC TRIBAL FETISH SENSE

Talk about a flash fire.

There is no everyday clothing you can wear that will survive fire. If it's your own magic its likely you are immune to burns so might be pretty sexy. If that's not your cup of tea then you are left with metal fetish lingerie and things which could pass for medieval armor, both of which are going to chafe like a bitch without any padding (which would burn away). Depending on how hot your flames get there are some rubbers and silicone mixtures that are temperature resistant up to 600-800 degrees maximum. These aren't going to be flexible to make clothing out of but you could possibly pad some of the metal things with it or make semi-flexible versions of the same entirely out of it.