Do the different races have different accents in your campaign...

Do the different races have different accents in your campaign? Our dwarves sound canadian and our halflings are new yorkers

Cockney elves and Italian American halflings made for a great dumb fun campaign.

>Halflings
>NewYorkers
KYS.
I'm open to setting diversity and such, but a halflings with a new York accents is offensive and retarded.

But yea on topic. I tend to give my elf just an arrogant way of speaking, my dwafs tend to be Irish or northern Euro, my orcs are either British, Russian/slave, or something more American.
And my humans are based on location within the setting.

I like Appalachian Dwarfs myself

in my Starfinder campaign setting here's how I have it;

Dwarves - Germans (ww1/ww2)
Elves - Upper Class/Lower Class Brits
Halflings - Scottish
Gnomes - Bostonians

>German Dwarves
FUCK YES I've been pushing for German Dwarves for YEARS

Yes I too have an entire race have a unified accent and my humans are all chinese.

it hurts me greatly that "german dwarves" is a fucking novelty somehow

when they are literally from Germanic Myth

They all sound like me.

High Elves - 18th century Britbongs
Wood Elves - Irish
Dark Elves - Welsh

Mountain Dwarves - Saxons
Plains Dwarf - German

Halflings - French

Orcs - Scots

Humans - American, Chinese, Hollywood Roman English

Accents should be based on region, not race. Unless you're big on societies of single races, there's going to be trade and interaction between races within a given region which homogenizes speaking patterns. It's more likely you'd have accents for geographically distinct regions which individuals don't often travel between.

Ja mein freund

My dwarves go back forth between Scottish and Russian accents

I mean yeah you're right. But most races have race-specific languages which I assume they learned first. That would totally effect your accent unless the languages we're learned concurrently

Like the canadian-sounding dwarves in my setting originally came from a neighboring continent and developed their own culture. The dwarves from their original homeland sound Scottish.

What offends you about Halflings sounding like New Yorkers?

No. Dialects are regional. They're not based on biology.

Bumpin' this thread cause it's neat, but underappreciated.

>New York
I guess you mean Brooklyn?

Why are there race-specific languages? Those have similar issues to race-specific dialects, maybe even greater issues. Unless it's a language gifted unto them by deities when they were created, they'd cooperatively develop language with the other races around them. Have an accent from migration does make sense, but where they came from likely wasn't mono-race either. It would be a Northern Mountains accent instead of a Northern Mountain Dwarves accent.

This thread has pointed out that dwarves can have any accent so long as it isn't the accent that everyone else is speaking and something you could envision coming from a beareded guy.

>Dwarves: The language is basically Dutch, but they all speak in very thick Scottish accents, so good fucking luck trying to understand them in any language
>Elves: French accents
>Drow: Walloon-based accents
>Catfolk: Some form of East-Asian

Halfings being New Yorkers is offensive? What kind of Tumblr shit is this to get triggered over?

I actually really like this idea. Fits little people trying to act tough.

>Do the different races have different accents in your campaign?

I mean, the languages do.

>Dwarvish: German.
>Gnomish: Jewish-German.

>Clannad(What Humans and Centaurs speak): Latino Spanish

>Orcish: Australian & New Zealand

>Common: Broadcast English/No-Accent.

Depending on the group, I like to enforce that if you're going to talk in another language you 'have' to represent this by imitating the accent.

Over eighty years, a lot of accents have kind of died down. Before you'd have elves with accents ranging from Scandanavian-esque, Russian, Italian, Spanish, etc.

These days they're mostly just the formermost.

The current division is between colonists and natives, most natives, because they were slaves of the Dragon Empire for so long, end up with really bad Japanese Accents. Like, imagine trying to pronounce norse words with Japanese.

And yet, Native high elves are still haughty bastards who see the colonists and other natives as less than them despite how ridiculous they sound.

No but seriously, why are so butt-hurt by halflings being new yorkers? It just such a weird thing to be salty about.

>Halfling: west country/welsh
>Air Elemental: Persian
>Orc/Goblin: London/Aussie

>party is taking a shortcut through the woods
>it's not a question of if they are going to run into the elf clan that lives, only when
>sure enough, they manage to notice they are surrounded by spearelves in the trees
>one appears from behind a bush and raises his hand in greeting
>the party's faces when I say "G'DAY MATE"