What is your favourite card from the new M:TG Ixalan block?

What is your favourite card from the new M:TG Ixalan block?

Why is it in defense mode?

Well the block isn't finished yet so I don't know

I pretty much hate almost the entire block, however I have a fondness for the common 6/6 trample Dinosaur, mainly because I've been thinking this is what Craw Wurm should have been since like 1995. I feel oddly validated to see it finally printed. Too bad it's not a Wurm.

Hammerskull.

Growing Rites of Itlomoc. Really good mana generator for commander.

It's a fun little Counterspell for Commander.

spell swindle. countered a 7 mana spell and was able to burn everyone out next turn with the extra mana.

Lannery is freaking great, surprisingly she does really well in a control shell, manafixing and never being short on mana is great.

Can't say I give much of a damn. It's an incredibly boring set, the archetypes I like are shit and my favorite color (Green) remains in the same bland state it's been in for about a decade, with the most exciting new tool being a big hexproof trampler. Ixalan is a shit set mechanically and especially flavor-wise and it makes me sad we'll never get an actual good pirate or aztec set because the theme was wasted on this nasty little nugget of MaRo jism.

I hate the artwork for this card; the subject is only visible in about 15% of the space and the compositional gestalts make you focus on the boat.

Savage Stomp, probably, though it also makes me salty. I always loved Hunt the Weak flavorwise but was frustrated by how overcosted it is; Savage Stomp is literally the same thing but one mana cheaper to cast, making it appropriately costed... except it also costs two less to cast if you're casting it at a dinosaur, in which case it functions as a strictly better Prey Upon on top of being a cheaper Hunt the Weak.

Except Carnage Tyrant is strictly better at 7/6 Trample Hexproof uncounterable for exactly the same mana cost, like a slightly worse Terra Stomper with Hexproof.

THAT'S NOT A DINOSAUR IF IT FLIES RRRREEEEEEEEE
Also
>menbranous wings
>yet feathers on it
For what fucking purpose

>i love that common!
>MY MYTHIC IS STRICTLY BETTER THOUGH
Ok.
Not on the artwork part. The common mays lacks focus, but it's still leagues better over ct.

Jace, the Pube Sculptor

I feel like they knew this but did it anyway to create a sense of how massive the creature is. I like it.

mines foil heh

It honestly pisses me off, actually. Colossal Dreadmaw falls painfully flat; it's not as bad as Craw Wurm but a 6/6 for 6 is fairly basic, and when its color requisites are GG, it should get more than just Trample into the bargain. Green is the color most associated with big, strong creatures, and most 4GG creatures put it to shame. Rarity shouldn't be an issue balancewise; it should affect a card's flashiness, versatility, keywords, etc, but stuff shouldn't just be strictly better/worse like this. It's the same reason I'm annoyed by Savage Stomp outclassing Hunt the Weak, except Hunt the Weak was painfully overcosted and hard to use (though Savage Stomp's tribal effect makes it stupidly good) whereas Green has plenty of good 6-drop creatures and if one costs more than one color-restricted mana it should be stronger than the mechanical blandness of Colossal Dreadmaw.

Rarity shouldn't make things strictly better. It should make them more nuanced, with more ways to exploit them with interactions, but just flat differences of effectiveness even in a vacuum are bad design.
And honestly, I prefer Carnage Tyrant's art anyway, even if it's not great. The Dreadmaw is just weirdly scaled.

This man gets it. I resonate with that message. It irritates me so much when wizards feels like they can get away with printing strictly better cards just because they're rare. Smuggler's Copter and Sky Skiff fell victim to the same problem. Really bugs me.

As somebody who plays only limited, I am completely fine with that.

it's amazing, I love it

inb4 ixalan reveals that the dinosaurs are proto-dragons, and they evolve so there are dragons and dinos