>Eilen Belmont, Second Cousin
>Mickey Belmont, Second Cousin Once Removed
>Tyran Belmont, Second Cousin
>Fillman Belmont, Second Cousin
>Helga Milleen, First Cousin Once Removed
>Omar Milleen, First Cousin Once Removed
>Copor Mileen, Second Cousin Once Removed
>Capre Mileen, Second Cousin Once Removed

Four of these family members even have PC levels.

Wait, not just "character has a living family" but instead "has a family". So you think characters should have no families at all? Where do they come from? Are all characters you make constructs? Even then your creator or other constructs made at the same place could be considered family. You'd need truly spontaneous generation, which isn't normally a thing for playable characters. Maybe something like deities in Exalted where they're brought into existence to embody an idea, so they don't really have a creator or other entities birthed by the same exact conditions?

>Having goals beside getting loot
>Introducing setting details in a backstory

>having a backstory

Having a family is an excellent thing for a PC. It's only a bad thing if you're playing with a shitty GM who uses those kind of assets wastefully.

My character has 2 cousins 6 brothers 2 uncles and 1 grandparent

Not having your family killed by orcs

Character woke up from a spell.

>Wasting time roleplaying intraparty interactions

Needs more cousins.

Not having your family killed by goblins

>be gm
>one player puts a lot of effort into his character
>backstory, motivation and even has a family
>other players picked a silly race and name
>be adventuring
>something pertaining to the PC comes up
>other characters complain that it isnt their character
>tell them they shouldve made backstories and developed their character
>tell me its boring and i should do it for them
>ask why they even care who's character the story relates most to if thats the case
i wish i played with other people

Honestly, I find that a character's family being dead gives me just as many opportunities to fuck with them as somebody with a living family.
>Family is resurrected by a necromancer as a bargaining chip.
>Parents were actually deep cover spies that had to fake their deaths and flee to a now enemy country.
>The mob looked through their accounts and realized dear Uncle Vinny owed them two million dollars, and you're his only living relative.
>Your dead parents weren't your real parents, you were sent away for your own protection.
>Your parents weren't erased from reality, you were edited into it.

I had a bard for a grandfather and some of my uncles became bards themselves. The DM can't kill all of my family

Your position sounds very reasonable. "If you want me to tie stuff into your backstory, give me a backstory to work with." Bonus reasonable-ness if you allow them to create one post-hoc as long as it doesn't conflict with anything that's happened so far, in case players didn't realize this was how things worked.

Seriously though, how do you avoid having anything that could count as a family?

It's simple. Murder all of your family members

Shit tier waifu and bad bait.

>my PC is the BBEG's kid, who is rebelling against his parents by becoming a good adventurer
>DM can't kill my family off without ruining his own plot

This guy gets it.

>not playing every PC as the decedents of a previous PC, weaving a tangled family tree that spans centuries.

Playing an Exalted character who has 24 children and at least six grandchildren (will likely discover more later). Considering she has only had three die I think she's doing pretty good.

>Character has a family
>At some point the character's brother gets kidnapped, and they have a side mission to save him
>The character's father, who is a noble, asks the party for a big favor
>The PC sends a letter to his mother, requesting help in gathering information on their main quest

>Not playing as a Murderhobo Elemental
>Was never born; instead just phased into existence one day as a grown adult complete with adventuring gear
>Has no natural instincts other than killing and looting
>Never bothers learning anyone's name since in his worldview, the only four types of people are Party Members, Enemies, Questgivers, and Shopkeepers, and every person of a given type might as well be the same person for all he cares

Reminds me of the "adventurer eggs" from this previous thread.

>Make character with obvious familial ties, family manor, named servants that he likes, etc.
>Would be 100% okay OOC with DM killing or threatening them to provide motivation for my character to actually be there.
>We happen to be back in the area they're located in as part of the game, looking for an artifact.
>They get completely ignored to the point that the GM assumes we're going to rent out a room at an inn in that city.

Nigga u told me 2 write a backstory, at least fucking read it.

>all adventurers are literal Dovahkiins

It would explain an awful lot.

>not giving your PC at least 7 siblings, both older and younger
>not having at least one sibling be a paladin
>not having at least one sibling be a wizard
>not having at least one sibling be a druid
>not having at least one sibling be a ranger
>not having at least one sibling be married to nobility
>not having at least one sibling be a priest/priestess
>not having at least one sibling be an alchemist

What if the PC's family was some sort of Byzantine-type family that has internal tension and vying for power? Perhaps they are a part of organized crime or nobles? Might be a nice compromise if the GM want to kill anyone while also having a reason for them to die, as well as justifying backstory that can be delved into.

>player 1's character has amnesia
>gives me free reign to do whatever with his backstory
>alright I guess
>check his race against different places in the setting, find a spot that might fit well and an interesting way to make it significant
>have his backstory revealed in a natural way once we get around to getting there, he's really happy
>now the guy who never roleplays anything wants to have a backstory too
it's a nice feeling

OP said "has a family" not "has a living family".

>He
>Having a gender

>i wish i played with other people
Contrary to what you might assume, players are very easy to replace. It's the GM that is hard to find.
Go on, find people that suit your style. I did and it was the best decision ever in my first two years of being Perma GM

Murder the concept of a family then.

>character has a family
>they're horrible people, and character is an adventurer because they finally worked up the courage to run away from home, affecting positive change in their life

hmmm....was pic related?
Is your character Shane McMahon?

no

Not enough inbreeding.

Why not rape the goblins? They can't beat the dick.

It's a gif of a referee giving a thumbs up.

>daughter-wives start to have the same color of hair as their mother-sister
>eyes get more and more "am I Kawai-uguu" as generations continue

Perfect

Stop right there you feminist scum!

Is your character sometimes get excessively mad at chairs by chance?

I was thinking more along the lines of "Brave New World"
No?

Reminds of something I went through.

Wrote my character's backstory as the fourth born son of a nobleman and that his father didn't care about him at all and had always acted cold towards him.
My characters whole motivation was to prove himself to the father that didn't love him.

First session rolls in and my character receives a call of duty, goes to say farewell to his parents, GM roleplays my character's father as loving and proud, sad to see his son leave.

Kind of lost all my will to continue after that..

Joke's on my GM, my character hates his family. (I mean, he's OK with his grandma, but she lives in a different hemisphere, so she ought to be safe.)

>Playing

>"Does your character have any family, user?"
>"HE HAS BUT ONE FATHER AND HE IS IN HEAVEN"
>The DM kills God
>mfw

Is that guy cosplaying a Red Alert 2 GI?

>character has a family, a beloved animal friend, and is a paladin

>actually playing instead of just writing a script that chooses the most optimal option every time

Ill never have a family for any of my characters after two of the other players raped my mom and sister in the campaign

Did they have anything resembling a reason besides being edgy?