I love playing DnD but only because the combat is always so unique and every situation is different...

I love playing DnD but only because the combat is always so unique and every situation is different. I don't really get into the whole role-playing part of it and I get a lot of shit from the people that I play with about not getting into the character enough.

Anyone else get this?

It can be kind of difficult to get into the mindset of someone who lives in such a different universe. I find I get disconnected with all the fantasy jargon flying around. Besides that, D&D is a fun combat simulator, so it's easy to willingly lose oneself in the crunch.

Edition?

4 but I'm trying to transition to 5

Don't. It strips out everything you like about D&D and replaces it with paste.

Some people prefer RP, some don't. I mean, really there's 3 types of tabletop players, and thats
1- The rp guy
2- The gameplay guy
3- The exploring guy

1 and 3 can be close, but I don't think 2 is really a problem, he enjoys the actual gameplay side of the whole RPG, which is fun.

It has one of the worst combat systems, what are you talking about? I always have to play some kind of at least quarter caster just to avoid having the only thing I ever do be "I hit x with my y" for the whole campaign. The roleplay part is the strongest aspect.

GURPS has way better combat rules, but roleplay is just a matter of the group you have. As for your question, my only advice would be to make a character who has a similar interest as you, and attach him to a player that is better at roleplay. For instance, roll a character like a knight serving an oath to another player in the group who is from nobility, or a mercenary on the dole of the party wizard to keep his squishy ass from becoming a pin cushion, or a barbarian who is the mentally slow but loyal half-orc half-brother of the party bard who was the only one who stood with you when you were ran out of your home village.

Work with another member of your group to come up with a good duo, and have him essentially lead your character from fight to fight. You deal with combat, he deals with RP, and eventually the lines between the two will blur and hopefully you will start to get invested in the non-combat aspects of the game.

>It has one of the worst combat systems, what are you talking about? I always have to play some kind of at least quarter caster just to avoid having the only thing I ever do be "I hit x with my y" for the whole campaign.
We're talking about 4e, not 3.PF or 5e.

You mean the one that is literally an MMO on paper with almost no resource management?

Yea, I'll stand by my statement as a blanket complaint of D&D regardless of edition. GURPS is still better.

That's totally fine, especially if you have (or are) a dm who can make combat fun.

I think everyone who plays long enough ought to try and find something of value in each pillar of the game, in order to get the most out of their time, but that doesn't mean you can't have a preference. As long as you aren't "that guy" who wines whenever there's an RP focused segment and ruins it for everyone else you're fine.

>You mean the one that is literally an MMO on paper with almost no resource management?
Oh, we're supposed to spout stupid memes like retards? Sorry, didn't notice that's what you were going for.

Sure, GURPS can do everything, but it's also incredibly bad at everything.

So you obviously know nothing about 4e.

Have you looked into some of the D&D branded board games?

I've played D&D for years, and I run it too, so my statement is across all editions.

Now, do you want to know how I know you've never played GURPS?

>unironic 4rrie

Oh so you like shallow MMORPG abilities instead of realistic combat system of 3.x?

Yes, yes I do.

Both are equally shit. Let's not split hairs over this.

Apparently this is now a system war thread because anons like spouting the same rhetoric over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over for no fucking determinable end result except to wank over their preferred ruleset for playing imaginary characters. Nobody is going to convince anyone. In the grim darkness of the far future of tg, there is only wank, and the barking of the thirsty spergs

> I always have to play some kind of at least quarter caster just to avoid having the only thing I ever do be "I hit x with my y" for the whole campaign
>GURPS has way better combat rules

GURPS combat rules are just as fucking terrible, if not worse.

Imagine a 3.5 where everyone has to micromanage two kinds of power attack for the optimal damage output, one that increases your damage and one that lowers enemy dodge. Now imagine fucking everyone having to do that, every single fucking turn.

You thought full attacking was bad? At least "I full attack with maximum PA" doesn't require you to graph out the expected damage values.

This is ignoring the fact that GURPS is a pointbuy system with the only check in place being "the DM can veto it, I guess", which means you can minmax to your hearts content, to a much more ridiculous degree than even 3.5.

I'm the exact opposite. I feel like all D&D combat is the exact same (grid system turn based tactics combat, tank n' spank, hit it until it's dead.

There are minor variations each time but it boils down to the same shit.

The point is that both are the same if you don't use abilities, except in GURPS you need to micromanage the shit out of your character. It's like saying QWOP is better than Olympic Running Simulator 12, because in QWOP you have so many choices!

Actually, both are boring shit, one is just also hilariously complex for simulation/immersion.

>Things people who never played GURPS say.

This is the main advantage of other games, including GURPS, but Rune Quest does this too, where "attack x with y" is not always the most effective thing to do each turn. You need to focus more on the situation because you have active defense instead of a static AC, and you can't just take hits as you're a walking refrigerator, so you need to make sure you have cover, keep track of your positioning, and actually have a plan beyond "everyone rush the thing." With D&D you can get some of that by playing a caster, but most of the time you are still at the mercy of the DM to come up with a rule on the fly if you want to actually try anything outside the realm of smacking the monster with your stick, while in GURPS there are well established rules for all manner of such things, and your skills are built around a bell curve that mean you actually have a good control over how effective you are at those things, instead of having a linear scale of success.

The simple fact is that GURPS can be played with a single booklet hardly over a dozen pages long, and yet retards still manage to complain that it's complicated.