Energy counters edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

old.photojoiner.net/
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/node/12518
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/skeletons-rds-closet-part-2-2011-03-25
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_sets
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/nuts-bolts-evaluation-2017-02-20
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Based on an idea I had a while ago.

Here you go user. Feel free to request any other art from my reserve.

Updated

Cont.

energy counters

>energy counters

> Reanimated Corpse
The ability is waaay too strong for a common. Reassembling Skeleton is a 1/1, uncommon, and its ability cost 1B. Yours should cost at least 2B, if not more.

> Hulking Corpse
I feel like you are really undercosting this ability. Its a REALLY strong one. This card's "reanimate" cost could easily be something around 4BB or 5BB.

> Consume Soul
Wrong wording:
> As additional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a Zombie.
> Target creature gets -X/-X [...]
Again, check the proper wording first. Also, check for the name, because your names seem pretty obvious choice (so its like they are already taken).

> Reanimated Wolf
Again, you are totally underestimating this reanimation ability. Its REALLY strong, because it gives you a constant source of creatures. Also, if you are going to make it a recurrent mechanic, might as well turn it into a keyword:
> Reanimate (: Return this creature from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Reanimate only as a sorcery.)

I think the wording would be:
> T, Sacrifice X creatures: You gain [E] for each creature sacrificed this way.

> Reanimated Monstrosity
For 8 cost, an 8/8 shouldn't need additional energy to keep itself alive. Besides that, even if it did, maybe only one energy per turn is already enough. But again, this guy could cost less if its going to require energy every turn. Also:
> Pay [E][E][E]: All Zombies you control gain Indestructible until end of turn.
Again, check the wording. A lot of your wording is VERY off, which makes me believe you are not very familiar to MtG wording, or at least not enough to make it close enough off memory. So I really recommend checking the wording for the first cards you make and learn through research. People here help with wording, but we don't want to have to rewrite every single card you post.

> Energy Sap
> [...] permAnent [...]

Side note: most of the art you use is really cool

... cont

> Mass Reanimation
Seems WAY overcosted. If you want to keep this cost, make it add some Energy when you play it, at least enough to give you 2+ tokens on its own. Also, I think the first ability would be more interesting if it triggered when zombies die, specially to synergize/make a theme with cards like the Monstrosity one. That would mean each 2 zombies that die, you get one back, which starts being really awesome, though you might need to limit the Energy generation for cards like this only for nontoken zombies. Finally, consider that right now, the actual cost of the second ability is only 1 Energy, because as soon as you create a zombie, you get half the cost back.

But again, you got a lot to improve, but the artwork you chose is really good, so you got that going on. Energy Ghoul's artwork is a bit shit in my opinion, but all the other cards have "nice-looking" art. (not my choice for dating, but you get what I mean)

I like the fact this use Energy without even spending it. Not sure if there's already cards like this because I didn't follow Kaladesh closely enough, but its nice.

Thanks. I will try and get the wording correct for future cards.

How could I make this mechanic act more like regenerate (which is what I was trying to replace):

> Reanimate (: Return this creature from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Reanimate only on the turn this creature died.)

> Thanks. I will try and get the wording correct for future cards.
www.gatherer.wizards.com is your friend

> How could I make this mechanic act more like regenerate (which is what I was trying to replace):
I don't know exactly, but I think the wording for this would be more like this:
> Reanimate (: Return this creature from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped. Reanimate only if this creature card been put into your graveyard from the battlefield this turn.)

Though you could go for some different versions of it:
> Zombify (When a nontoken non-Zombie creature you control die, you may pay . If you do, return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.)
> Undying Persistence (When this creature dies, you may pay . If you do, return it to the battlefield tapped at the next end step.)
> Reanimate (, Discard a card: Return this creature from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.)

old.photojoiner.net/
Use it.

>Reanimated Corpse
I'm with the other guy, up the cost, make uncommon.

>Reanimator
Don't capitalize keywords unless they begin a sentence.

>Hulking Corpse
This is where we start to throw in extra stuff, like discarding cards, to the ability. Way too good as-is.

>Consume Soul
Art in use, Undead Servant. What the other guy said, wording is pretty wrong. Look at Call to Blood for help, obv. replace the sac requirement from "creature" to "Zombie". Oh, and the X should scale with power, not toughness.

>Reanimated Wolf
OK, yeah, recursion is really neat, but you can't keep having it like this, this is just too much. Consider recurring to hand more often than the battlefield. Also, First Strike isn't very common on Black, and as much as I like seeing it in Black, this doesn't feel like the place for it.

>Zombie Horde
Compare to Moan of the Unhallowed. Generally speaking, a Flashback cost should be greater than the card's mana cost.

Eh, I'm not sure about just throwing around energy counters like this. Feels kinda inconsistent, I guess.

>Energy Ghoul
If you're not going to use X in the effect, make it
>T, Sacrifice any number of creatures: For each creature sacrificed this way, you get E (an energy counter).

>Reanimated Monstrosity
That last, ability is, worded very, poorly.
>Pay EEE: All Zombies you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
Not sure about this. Feels like it could be fun though. Oh yeah, and have you thought about throwing in U at all? That's how Innistrad did mad scientist, Frankenstein-style Zombies, and using energy counters feels like that.

1/2

>Energy Sap
Art in use, Wailing Ghoul.
>Destroy target nonland permanent.
WHAT?! NO! There are two, repeat, TWO, things that B can destroy. Creatures and planeswalkers. If you want this effect, you need to toss in another color. This would work in WB or BG just fine, but not mono-Black. I do like the effect though, but it is pretty powerful.

>Mass Reanimation
Create, not put. Not sure how to cost this, and it feels like a flavor disconnect. You realize energy counters are more than just another kind of mana, right? You need to have a good story purpose for them.

2/2

>WHAT?! NO! There are two, repeat, TWO, things that B can destroy. Creatures and planeswalkers
There's a third thing black can destroy, which is the exactly one thing user left out of his ability lol

Oh fuck, lands, right. Sorry, got kinda worked up.

Yeah, I messed up, mB can also destroy lands. But it's important that B can't remove artifacts or enchantments, that's an inherent weakness of the color.

How do I unlock energy counters for MSE?

Thanks. I like the version ideas.

>How do I unlock energy counters for MSE?
You first need to play a card that gives Energy counters to you.

You have to get the achievement for making 100 artifact cards.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/node/12518
Install this, then run it. Come back and tell us if it worked or not.

> (You)
>Thanks. I like the version ideas.
This works virtually like a regeneration, but its a bit more clear of how it works. Maybe I'm not the best to judge it since I got a soft spot for both regeneration AND returning from the graveyard as keywords, but definitely is easier to balance, because its not as broad as the previous version.

Yet, I have another version for you:
> Reanimated (When this creature dies, exile it. At the beginning of your next upkeep, you may pay . If you do, put it on the battlefield tapped. If you don't, put it on your graveyard.)
Its close but stronger, because you get to pay on the next turn. Its also interesting because its not so close to Regeneration as that idea you are currently using is. Because both on Regeneration and your Reanimate, you need the mana right on the spot, while on this version, you can't be caught of guard, because at your next turn's upkeep, you will have untapped all your lands and will be ready to pay the reanimating cost. And flavor-wise, its like those zombies that die and takes a while to get his bits together and start walking again.

Posting a revised version of an uncard, in honor of all the unspoilers.

Neat idea, though I think knowing the artist and flavor text is too much. The flavor text is too much but its acceptable, but the artist is just reeeally hard. I think there's literally like 1 card that I know what artist is. (which oddly, I don't know the name of the card haha)

>not matching rarity color, card frame version, and copyright date

>rarity color
It's a bit much to ask people to have color pencils with them

>card frame
That'd be a bit of a judgment call on whether or not they matched it well enough, too vague

>copyright date
Nah though

You could just indicate black/silver/gold/red

Also
>not matching collector number

I really like this one.

Thanks for the feedback

>throwing in U at all

What does this mean?

>>throwing in U at all
>What does this mean?
Not him, but U = blue. Throwing blue in it means splashing it to blue, making it black/blue instead of just black.

What said, which is why I brought up Blue Zombies in Innistrad. I also feel like mad scientist-styled Zombies would have a good justification for energy counters too, flavored as a more scientific energy source (eg. electricity) than mana.

I can do some B/U... thoughts on changing these to B/G?

forgot pic

I was digging through my old sets and I found these mechanics. Looking for thoughts and brainstorms for if any of them are worth salvaging. The land especially is very interesting to me.

>I really like this one.
Glad I could be of help.

I'm honestly a lot more into Golgari style (BG) rather than Innistrad blue zombies. I never dug zombies on blue, besides good ol' Metathran Zombie. But that is me.

Also, I believe that the new art you chose for Energy Sap is also already taken, probably some shit from Theros. Basically, if an art looks too good for a card, its likely its already taken. Sucks black cocks, but unless you happen to be your own digital artist, that's what we need to put up with.

>Energy Sap
Art in use, Bile Blight.
>Destroy target nonland permanent. You get an amount of E equal to that permanent's converted mana cost.
Much better.

>Reanimated Wolf
Also seems better on the whole. Feels kinda weird that the Reanimate cost for this and the other are both mono-Black though. But on that note, I actually don't like Reanimate much. It just feels a bit overly-complex, and perhaps even too good for my taste. Since you only have to pay on your next turn, there's not much trade-off in paying the cost then as opposed to paying it immediately. It just feels too... safe? I mean, it's even more flexible than Indestructible and Regen in this regard.

Oh, and BG Zombies can work fine, since Regen was a mechanic shared by both colors, and both colors still do recursion.

>Locket of Adidas

>Artifact Land
Big no-no.

That sure is an extremely broken way to generate mana.

I figure the mana burn makes it harder to use?

>mana burn
Heh. Hahaha. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Just read that this mechanic was removed nevermind

Why no artifact lands?

Wait. Exactly how long have you been gone from Magic?

Apparently awhile... lol

I have still played off and on some with friends throughout the years but we might have been using some old rules.

OK, artifact lands are generally frowned upon because of the Mirrodin block. The Mirrodin block is one of the most insanely broken blocks in all of Magic history, right up there with Urza's. You can read all about it here

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/skeletons-rds-closet-part-2-2011-03-25

(I recommend reading all the Skeletons in R&D's Closet articles, they're quite informative and entertaining.)

But long story short, the block had a huge focus on artifacts. Combine quite a few very powerful cards that want you to have artifacts, and suddenly these 0-cost artifacts, that also make mana, become very attractive. So, it's not so much about the cards themselves, but how they interact with other cards.

I remember a lot of these. Weren't you making a set? Glancing through the keywords, there are some wording problems, and really only Exhume sticks out as something that might work out. Invade has too many of the problems that Ingest had, plus while millstrike is weak, changing it to exile so those cards are gone forever might be way too good. There's a reason Ingest only hit one card. Not impactful enough without the Processor mechanic, but at higher numbers way too good because the opponent doesn't ever have access to those cards again, unlike with mill. I suppose Inheritor would be okay, if sort of boring. And as for the land, I feel like it can't exist because it's basically a better Plains. CCC may be losing colored production but it's still ramp with no drawback. The only issue it has is not having the Plains type.

Not the best since if you choose the second mode and cast it on your turn, the knight has first strike until end of turn but can't attack since it has summoning sickness.

Because of the Necron guy, I'm thinking of doing some Dark Eldar cards. I don't have much down in the terms of mechanics to be honest, but I was thinking of using Exploit and Raid, since I feel those fit the Dark Eldar both in terms of mechanics and flavor. Is this a good idea? Any other suggestions?

Im a sucker for new Phyrexia.

Newts? Eh. I'd make them Thrulls.

Last two need a bit of wording help. I'd just make it
>[...] damage to a creature an opponent controls, you may put [N] -1/-1 counters on another target creature that player controls.

Why no three stripes of Adidas comrade?!

That said, this seems way too good. Any sac outlet gets you the flipside for 1WW no sweat, and likely with a bonus on top. AND you can't get rid of it once it's transformed. So you can just keep doing it over and over.

Newt farm is way too good

The intention of the card is allow the player to either get two flyers to be aggressive with, or one surprise defensive creature to essentially kill an attacking 2 toughness creature.
Why would I want to cast either modes on my turn?

>Card
Feels really bad. Detaining a creature isn't that strong so the fact it costs you 2 colores of Mana and giving them cards feels really bad.
Using it on your own thing is clever, but a really awkward hoop to dance through to get 2 Mana draw 2 at instant speed, and arguably too good.

Doubt it's hugely important to most people, but I added a new set to the "in development" section of the /ccg/ sets PasteBin. It's a set based on the Aliens vs. Predator universe an user was working on a while ago. For some reason I just remembered it and felt it was worth adding.

Yeah, compare how much it costs just to make a 0/1 Pest with Nuisance Engine.

It can detain any nonland permanent, not just creatures. Is this a little better, though?

Necron guy here, the search of good images is now spiking in difficulty, shame I can't display the Doomsday Monolith, nor the Aeonic Orb this way.
This will likely be the last batch of skeletons for now, maybe shifting to something more conventional the near future.
Rooted is another new keword, means that that permanent can't be bounced back to hand or library (not explained on this very card because of the Mythic status). Will be present in some un/commons of the set, with proper remainder text, as well.

You won't know unless you try. Red related keywords like haste and dash (especially) works wonders with Dark Eldars, too.

Any reason you are holding onto the effect of the detainee getting to draw a card?

You should probably start with commons and uncommons first. I know it's tempting to go for the exciting and complex rares and mythics, but it's putting the cart before the horse. You need to create a good foundation to build the rest of this tribe on.

Fire them up; why not. Gotta have fun at this, after all.

Angel why? I mean creature types are pretty flexible but I feel like UR would prefer a different creature type in most environments, like Weird or Elemental. Other than that I suppose it seems decent.

Okay so I'm doing a dumb and trying to mash modal spells together with Domain because it sounds like an interesting interaction to me. Is this fine? I feel like the creature targeting should come before the mode selection. The reason I don't just have each mode say "Target creature gets/gains " is that I want it all to have to target a single creature.

hello hello hello right now im trying to add a new card template to Magic Set Editor however, i have two versions of basically the same type of card that i now need to apply text box parameters into the style file. my question is, instead of writing
>else if card.card_type=="big red boi" then 112 else if card.card_type=="big blue boi" then 112
can i just write
>else if card.card_type=="big red boi" or card.card_type=="big blue boi" then 112
and save the trouble of having to write else if then X again and again and again?

or better yet is there some way to have >card.card_type=="big red boi" or "big blue boy"
in the proper syntax to save even more space?

I tried making a UBR incarnation, but the result feels as tho it might be more mono-B. Would it be better if I removed the other two colours and modified the first ability? (which I'm not very happy with anyway, alternative suggestions are welcome)

I think the first card has too much going on personally, I would remove of of the abilities (probably the last one since it competes for resources with the upkeep ability)
The wording on both cards should be "you get an amount of E (energy counters) equal to" etc

I've only programmed in C, but I don't think that works, I'm pretty sure you'd have to make an Else clause for each possibility. In any rate, usually || is used to signify an "OR" operation.

Bring it down to sorcery speed and it's doable

it would appear | is an unknown character

>land theft at uncommon that's also ramp with no drawbacks
Whoa.

Looks like I forgot that if you have Solar Flats, tap it for two, you could end up exchanging it for an untapped land an opponent controls and you just netted yourself 3 mana with one land.
I want it to give you only 2 mana then an opponent takes control of it. Maybe "T: Add 2 to your mana pool. Tap target land you don’t control and exchange control of it with Solar Flats"?
Yes, it is similar to Inaction Injunction. It's more powerful since it detains nonland permanents at instant speed instead of creatures at sorcery speed. I'll probably just end up cutting the card draw and making it a 2 mana sorcery "detain target nonland permanent" effect only card.
Nice!!
>"Whenever another creature named ~ enters the battlefield, destroy it. If that creature would die this way, Ego gets..."
Since it is not a may. the UBR flavor is alright.

First drafts. Sorry for not fleshing these out too much, but I had some schoolwork to take care of. Still in the conceptual phase since I haven't even gotten down all the different Dark Eldar units yet. But I think for now at least, I'll work on Raid and Dash. I was thinking of using Exploit, but I'm not so sure about it now.

Trying something stupid, please tell me how retarded.

Meh. I think Wizards actually changed Hallow's Eve to work like this at one point, because apparently nobody knew how to make it work before Suspend.

I am incredibly lazy and creatively bankrupt

WE WUZ KHANZ 'N SHIEET!

just-woke-up bump

Pretty weak. You could simply give permanent first strike to the knight token, AND drop the cost to 2W.

What if it was?
> Detain target nonland permanent. Its controller draw a card.
> Draw a card.
That would make it less weak. The card/art look really awesome, though.

Interesting. I like the fact you can simply give up if you find the creature a bit shit.

> Phyrexian Newt Farm
WAY overpowered. Like some user said, compare it with artifact creature creating cards like Nuisance Engine.

> Perfected Annihilator
The wording seems off, because if you choose creature, doesn't make much sense. Also, this ability is too strong, so I would make it only trigger when hitting the opponent's face.

See my suggestion above. I think its better than this one as well.

> Energy Ghoul
I honestly think its hard to use Energy Ghoul. A 1 mana drop 2/2 is usually good because you can play on first turn and start to bash your opponent's face, but if you do with this guy, he will die because there's likely no way for you to get Energy for your second upkeep. I think this made more sense if it was some bigger frankstein type of monster.

> Energy Sap
Finally found an art that is not in use (I hope)

Not sure how to judge this.

I think the first ability should be:
> Whenever another creature named Ego enters the battlefield, sacrifice it. [...]
Though I think it makes more sense to just be:
> When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, if you control two or more creatures, sacrifice it.
But I'm not exactly sure what you are trying with this card, however.

I think this is hard to pull off, specially in an uncommon land. A land that swaps itself with another land is already interesting enough, doesn't need the mana ramp. Also, the fact it also gives one colorless mana makes it waaay better than expected.

>Looks like I forgot that if you have Solar Flats, tap it for two, you could end up exchanging it for an untapped land an opponent controls and you just netted yourself 3 mana with one land.
>I want it to give you only 2 mana then an opponent takes control of it. Maybe "T: Add 2 to your mana pool. Tap target land you don’t control and exchange control of it with Solar Flats"?
You can't really steel an untapped land, because if you try to do this, your opponent can just tap it in response as a "fuck you". Though you could simply word like this:
> Add 2 to your mana pool. Exchange control of Solar Flats and target tapped land you don't control.
Giving it additional restriction. Also, again, I think having this ability AND the ability of generating regular mana is way too op.

Interesting, though seems a bit shit in my opinion. It means you need at least 5 artifacts for this to start make sense. Considering that Metalcraft tells us that the amount of artifacts to consider the player has "enough artifacts for him to take advantage of" is 3, this could simply cost 2 maybe.

I personally don't like these huge Timmy cards with apparent no real lore behind it.

Art in use. Carrion Crows I think. Also, check cards like Goblin Matron. This card is better than it because also have flying. AND REANIMATE, which makes this card one of the best commons ever printed. I think that if you want it to stay at common/uncommon level, remove Reanimate. Otherwise, make it rare and adjust the reanimate cost, because that sort of recursion is REALLY op.

I don't know much o Tarkir, but seems nice enough.

Ok I guess.

> Carrion Scavenger
Thanks. I will remove reanimate and the Zombie subtype (so you can't search for the same card)

Made some changes

> Thanks. I will remove reanimate and the Zombie subtype (so you can't search for the same card)
Its not really that bad to let it search for another Carrion Scavanger. The main problem was it having reanimate, which made it an insane tutor of Zombies. But right now as it is, it having the subtype Zombie or not is mostly a design option of yours. Vultures are scavengers by nature and the thematic also works for it as a non-Zombie. For a common, maybe just as Bird is better but you could make it uncommon and run with it being a Zombie as well. Ultimately, its up to you: do you want it fetching others of the same kind? If so, there's no problem in that.

(but I personally like making a tribal card that is not really from the same tribe)

I will leave it as just a bird to add some non Zombie type creatures to the set. I am thinking of making the B in this set focus on Zombies and Horrors. How many cards in a set? How many cards of each color?

Updated monstrosity and replaced energy ghoul.

not sure on the language for reanimated horror

>How many cards in a set? How many cards of each color?
Check en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_sets

Also, if you are thinking about making a set, its a MUST to read the Nuts and Bolts series of articles by that MtG guy.

>Art in use. Carrion Crows
Damn, can't believe I didn't see that earlier. Glad someone noticed.

>At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice ~ unless you pay E.

>Pay EEE: Zombies you control gain indestructible until end of turn.

>Sacrifice a creature: You get E.

>E: Put a +1/+1 counter on ~.

>How many cards in a set? How many cards of each color?
Go to the "Design articles by Wizards" PasteBin in the OP, and read the Nuts and Bolts articles. They're a bit long, but it's worth it. I also recommend reading "Primer: NWO and Redflagging", also in the OP.

Will take a look

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/nuts-bolts-evaluation-2017-02-20

Oh, they made a new Nuts and Bolts? I'll be sure to add this to the PasteBin. Thanks.

Thanks. Is 10/10 too strong due to the counter effect?

Core MTG sets have been so shite recently I was actually motivated to get back into making my set. Man, every single draft/limited format has felt the same for, like, 10 sets straight... heck Wizards come on...

Anyways, what do you think of multicolor vertical cycles?

Been a long time, so in case people weren't around when I used to post/have forgotten;
Set includes Shadow for lore reasons. For balancing purposes, the set has no instances of Flying at all, because double evasion was a bit uncomfortable. Shadow is incredibly common (on about 30-40% of creature cards) The removal of Flying has made it work interestingly in playtest, something like Raging River: The Set. etc. etc. If you want to talk about Shadow, trust that I've had great feedback and long discussions about including it in the set before, and I think I have it working well now.

: ) Cheers! Just getting back into it so I'll probably be rusty. Hmu if you want feedback and stuff.

For Reanimated Horror, if it were me, I'd get rid of the first ability and reduce the P/T and mana cost. I think I might add a slight cost, maybe one or two mana, to each of the activated abilities, and change the +1/+1 counters so they can be placed on any creature you control. I just feel like this is more interesting by focusing on making it a sac outlet and counters engine rather than a giant beater with a downside.