It looks like shit and inevitably has errors(lol) but at least it is complete...

It looks like shit and inevitably has errors(lol) but at least it is complete. I present you "Veeky Forums RPGs Census 2017".

I will post the full list of the games and data files in a while. Let's try this again.

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/val3mvlh50utkf2/AACwDXZOptR1U3Mr30YyvJdca?dl=0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-baiting
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>over a period of 20 hours
Sounds comprehensive

Here is the full list, and also the link to the survey data if anyone wants to check it. I know there is some complex stuff that can be done with it, such as age and game preference correlation but I am too lazy and stupid to do it myself.

dropbox.com/sh/val3mvlh50utkf2/AACwDXZOptR1U3Mr30YyvJdca?dl=0

Thanks for doing this.

>doesn't understand how surveys work

My pleasure, this was actually very fun to do albeit fucking tedious.

Thanks, user. You be doing gawd's werk.

>a census checks an entire population, this is just a sample reeeeee

Nice work though

Looks like dee-und-dee doesn't dominate as much on Veeky Forums as it does in the real world.

>18% Other

That's quite impressive considering how obscure a lot of these little games are.

We're still talking about pretty strong domination.

38% isn't even a majority. Domination is more like 90%+.

I'm kind of surprised that the number of Jellybeans outnumber Females. I also expected a higher number of of 23-27 year-olds, but I'm 27 myself, so maybe it's my optimistic bias.

The # of females and jbs is about the same, statistically.

Oh, wait. I have shitty eyes and read jellybeans as 26.

They don't though?

DND as a group has 44.2%, the next highest game is Pathfinder at 5.7% (which arguably could be lumped in) and WH40K at 4.5%. It is 982% as popular as its next leading competitor that isn't a direct lineage from it, or only 775% as popular as PF. That seems pretty dominating to me, since nothing else comes close to it.

You can't percentage a percentage share, buddy. That's not real math. 44% is a plurality, not a majority and certainly not domination. Domination means you dominate /the field/ (ie, the RPG market, within the sample here on tg), not dominate your nearest competitor(s).

When it's closest competitors aren't even a sixth of its size, we're looking at a big dog among a lot of rats.

Put them all in a pit, and we'd get a game that resembles rat baiting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-baiting

>More than half of Veeky Forums doesn't play dnd
>dnd is vastly more popular than any other game
Both statements are true, but they have vastly diffrent implications, don't they? Just lump every other game into on big "other" and it looks like dnd is on the decline. This has been your lesson on how to lie with statistics.

>looks like dnd is on the decline.
Nobody else mentioned a decline except you.

I am actually quite impressed with the amount of variation.

>D&D 5e is the most played game
>on Veeky Forums
The normalfuck invasion has truly begun.

Anybody care to calculate the Herfindahl index for our little hobby here?

If you came on Veeky Forums after about 2008, you're part of it, m8.

Glad to see the Star Wars RPG is among the top. Was surprised you didn't include it in the options given there's an eternal general.

Yeah, I kinda fucked up on the options and survey was certainly lacking questions. If I were to do this again, it certainly will be better. Well, we'll see at the end of 2018 hopefully.

However, I am glad we had the "other" option so we did get a comprehensive list. In the end, it just added a lot of unneeded work.

Good job, OP! This might be good ammo for any arguments about "what tg is or prefers".

>3.5 less than 5%
I want to see someone justify beating on that corpse ever again.

I expected more venerable greybeards. I’m 38. This is the only channel I can stand and there is at least a modicum of civility and helpfulness here between my fellow gamers. OSR General is my containment thread :-)

I’ll play nearly any tt rpg it’s just that D&D is the most likely game you can find.

Actually more around 9% if you include PF, which is just 3.5 but somehow even more bloated

If 3.5 is a corpse, we're looking at a corpse kingdom.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the D&D skew might actually be much more severe than it appears, because people could pick multiple systems.

Ie, one person could say they used five different systems, and have a 5x bigger footprint than someone who just said they played 5e the most.

It depends on how you view it. The point of this survey was to get an idea about the most used systems, so we naturally accept people can use more than one system and it still counts. A person could easily play three different games at one given time.

If you want to assign just one game per one person, things get a bit complicated. Mostly because this was not the intended goal of this survey. For example, let's examine your example.

>Ie, one person could say they used five different systems, and have a 5x bigger footprint than someone who just said they played 5e the most.

This could also work the other way around. Imagine a person voting for 5e but also two different games. What do we do in instances such as this? Are we going to ignore the two other games or are we going to ignore just 5e? You see, you could actually skew it towards both directions. So yes, technically and probably D&D skew could be higher than it is shown, but it is also very possible that it could also be lesser than it is.

>It's another OP doesn't collect enough sample thread

Gender.

p = 17/244 = 6.97%

s = sqrt(p(1 - p)) = 1: 25.46%

se = s/sqrt(n) = 1.63%

Using a 99% confidence interval and a z* of 2.576

p ∈ [2.77%, 11.17%]

For women, p = 6.97%, se = 1.63%, p ∈ [2.77%, 11.17%]

Age. n = 261

For 35+, p = 13.03%, se = 2.08%, p ∈ [7.67%, 18.39%]
For 28 to 35, p = 17.24%, se = 2.34%, p ∈ [11.22%, 23.27%]
For 23 to 27, p = 29.89%, se = 2.83%, p ∈ [22.60%, 37.18%]
For 18 to 22, p = 47.51%, se = 3.09%, p ∈ [39.55%, 55.47%]

GM/Player, n = 242

Forever GM, p = 17.77%, se = 2.46%, p ∈ [11.44%, 24.10%]
Mostly GM, p = 38.84%, se = 3.13%, p ∈ [30.77%, 46.91%]
Mostly Player, p = 33.47%, se = 3.03%, p ∈ [25.66%, 41.28%]
Only Play, p = 8.68%, se = 1.81%, p ∈ [4.02%, 13.34]
Never played or GM'ed has too little samples to be reliable

Most of the other stuff obviously has enough or not enough samples.

I have absolutely zero idea about what you are talking about. Could you please dumb it down a bit so an asshat like me can understand what the fuck is going on?

You don't need to use a 95% CI for something this banal, user. This isn't a clinical trial, this is just some random opinions. 90% CI is just fine.

>but it is also very possible that it could also be lesser than it is.

Not really, since there's more picks than participants.

With 262 participants and 442 picks over 81 games, 5e being 38% of the picks doesn't reflect what percentage of participants played it. It's possible for a full majority (50%+) to have played 5e in the last year. In fact, that is the case, since 166 picks out of 262 means 63% of Veeky Forums has played 5e in 2017, and 57% want to play it in 2018.

Basically, according to this survey, more people play or want to play 5e on Veeky Forums than don't. These numbers actually correlate quite reasonably with roll20 stats (though roll20 has a much larger sample size and only has a bare minimum majority of 51% of players playing 5e compared to Veeky Forums's 63%.)

Yes, you are correct. I was being an idiot.
>166 picks out of 262 means 63% of Veeky Forums has played 5e
This way it is quite clear to see in single game per person basis.

Nonrelevant to the original question but I am very glad that D&D doesn't actually dominate the charts. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate D&D, hell it is what got me into RPGs. but in my experience, most of the people start with D&D because of its popularity. However, a big majority of them end up stuck with only D&D because they want to try new games when they are already familiar with one and I feel like this detrimental to hobby's growth.

In short, I am quite happy if people are still trying different games even while playing D&D.

>In short, I am quite happy if people are still trying different games even while playing D&D.

Which makes it sound like you're upset with the people who only play D&D or upset with D&D's success. And, with a full majority of players, it's actually fair to say that it does dominate the charts, especially considering that a majority of the other games with picks only have a single vote cast for them, and rarely by someone who wasn't playing other games as well.

There's really nothing wrong with that, just like there's nothing wrong with any other group sticking with any other good system. Trying new games is great, but it's not for everyone (since people tend to try out the games they're most interested in first) and a lot of what I've learned is that trying to push groups to play new games just for the sake of diversity or misguided notions of what's best for the hobby is just trying to unnaturally skew the hobby to suit your own personal tastes. D&D's success is not an accident, and people continuing to play it after playing other systems accounts for the majority of the picks in this survey, pointing to reasons for its success beyond solely being the first game that people tried.

Most people start with D&D not simply because it's popular and because it has brand recognition to the level of being synonymous with RPGs to some, but because it is one of the best-designed and supported games in the most popular role playing genre, the one that most people want to play and look for when starting RPGs. People only playing something solely because it's popular is not even sustainable as an equilibrium, and from statistics like roll20 numbers we can actually see 5e's market share rising steadily.

I am neither happy nor unhappy to see D&D dominate things like survey numbers, because on the whole that's irrelevant to both my personal happiness and to the larger gaming community. It's simply something interesting to be observed.

I don't want my hobby to be monopolized and I want it to be actually varied so everybody can find something they like and we can expand the thing we love.

Wow, I must be upset with D&D's success and D&D players, even though I am also one of them.

Stop being this dense...

>Most people start with D&D not simply because it's popular and because it has brand recognition to the level of being synonymous with RPGs to some, but because it is one of the best-designed and supported games in the most popular role playing genre

Also, this is objectively wrong. I am not arguing whether D&D is a well-designed game or not. However, band recognition is the number one reason why most people start with it.

>and from statistics like roll20 numbers we can actually see 5e's market share rising steadily

Yes, we can see 5e's market share rising steadily as the roleplaying itself becomes more mainstream each day.

D20 conflict resolution being the most prefered interests me the most.

I am going to wager that 1/3 of those who voted D20 never actually tried out different methods.

>No question to see how popular erp is
Wasted opportunity

The hobby isn't a zero-sum game or a popularity contest. One game being successful doesn't negatively impact other games unless those games are somehow in direct competition and are inferior. RPGs can't be monopolized by the inherent qualities of RPGs, with the foremost being accessibility and diversity. We're not talking about companies distributing a limited natural resource here.

>Wow, I must be upset with D&D's success

Yes, you seem to be.

D&D is, as you noted, a gateway game that has brought most people into the hobby to begin with. Even looking beyond 5e, the success of D&D's various editions has always been linked with dramatic rises in the larger gaming population. When D&D does well, the entire industry benefits, and the greatest periods of growth in the industry were when the D&D brand was at its most dominant. We're talking about the eras of the 2e D&D box set and 3.0's release, times where there were more people playing than any time previously, and where other companies on the brink of collapse were given an intense spur of interest and revenue.

>I don't want my hobby to be monopolized and I want it to be actually varied so everybody can find something they like and we can expand the thing we love.

You really have some misplaced and irrational fears then. D&D having an increased dominance of the community is actually a sign that the community is healthier, because it is in absolute terms larger. The D&D player base grows far more rapidly than all other games (thanks to brand recognition and accessibility) , which means that any increase you'll see in the hobby will result in a larger percentage playing D&D.

If anything, we should grow worried if we see D&D's dominance slipping, because that doesn't mean an equal number of people stopped playing D&D but started playing other games, but more that just less people are playing RPGs in general.

>objectively wrong

Even if we were to agree brand recognition is the number one reason, that's very far removed from being the ONLY reason. Reading comprehension can help you a lot when engaging in discussions like this.

>Reading comprehension
Which you need some because I have never said brand recognition is the ONLY reason for D&D's popularity.

You said that my statement of "Most people start with D&D not simply because it's popular and because it has brand recognition to the level of being synonymous with RPGs to some, but because it is one of the best-designed and supported games in the most popular role playing genre" was "objectively wrong". Reread my statement if you're still committed to calling it such.

>but because it is one of the best-designed and supported games in the most popular role playing genre

This maybe one of the reasons,

>it's popular and because it has brand recognition to the level of being synonymous with RPGs

But this is the number one reason, note that I have never called it the only reason. However, you claimed that it isn't the NUMBER ONE REASON and I am saying that you are wrong. I see no discrepancies.

However, you may wish to not contradict yourself;
>The D&D player base grows far more rapidly than all other games (thanks to brand recognition and accessibility)

So, I wasn't objectively wrong, but you're not redacting your statement. Classy.

>But this is the number one reason

It may very well be, but not only are you hoping to cut out all other factors and to pretend they are irrelevant, but to also dismiss the fact that popularity and quality are entwined. They do not directly correlate, but they DO correlate, and what you are failing to do, spectacularly I might add, is recognize why I pointed out that that there are reasons beyond a circular self-prophecy of "it's popular so it will be popular" for why people start with D&D.

It hits the right notes for what most people are looking for in an RPG. Not just what new people are looking for, but what people familiar and experienced in the hobby seek. It's what makes it kind of silly to be upset about new people finding what they're looking for, especially when all factors seem to point that a fair majority of people wind up returning to 5e even after playing other games.

>The D&D player base grows far more rapidly than all other games (thanks to brand recognition and accessibility)

Yes. Thanks to that, but not solely because of it. Would you have preferred if I said "Thanks in part" rather than simply "thanks"?

And, no, I didn't contradict myself. I even explained how there was no contradiction already in the very post you are replying to.

He has to go p, se?

>most people are GMs
Utter and complete bullshit. Most people on Veeky Forums have never even played an RPG, let alone run one.

>D&D 5e

This survey shows otherwise. And really, it makes sense.

This survey is wrong. People self-reported all this information. Of course the nogames losers are going to claim they play, they're even more likely than players to lie about being GMs.

Veeky Forums's actual demographics are something like 15% GM, 30% Players, and 55% NARPfags.

I get it. Your opinions and baseless claims are more important than any evidence.

Go up to the principal right now and report your Psychology or Social Studies teacher, because there's no way anyone who can say something like you just did thought it up on their own unless they're a real fringe case.

Evidence, no matter how thin, always takes precedence over no evidence. You can't logically prove the invalidity of an actual statistic without more evidence - you can doubt it, sure, but it says something about your position that you're claiming your lack of evidence and anecdotes are enough to overturn actively gathered evidence.
I am saying this from the bottom of my heart.
If you honestly believe that someone can present evidence, you can throw out a baseless comeback and you deserve anything else than to be ignored, the only thing of value you can ever hope to do in your life is to fellate a medium-sized cheese grater and there's nothing you can do about it.

>262 responses
WELP.jpeg

>With 262 participants and 442 picks over 81 games, 5e being 38% of the picks doesn't reflect what percentage of participants played it. It's possible for a full majority (50%+) to have played 5e in the last year. In fact, that is the case, since 166 picks out of 262 means 63% of Veeky Forums has played 5e in 2017, and 57% want to play it in 2018.

>Basically, according to this survey, more people play or want to play 5e on Veeky Forums than don't.

We D&D board.

But what about the fact that I posted the survey to r/dnd five hours into the survey?

It sounds like you're really, really desperate to try and pretend D&D is not as popular as it is for some reason.

Like you're that bitch-ass troll.

Fucking redditors ruin everything.

It's pure nerding.