By signing up for this game you consent to having your character included when I publish the novelization of the...

>By signing up for this game you consent to having your character included when I publish the novelization of the campaign

I know the faggots on the board will start the usual
>lololol shit that didn't happen
memery, but this bullshit needs to end. Those retards running games online should be forced to participate in a normal game run by a proper GM and not just start with this delusion that a bunch of random assholes that just want to throw dice and/or have fun with the story can produce something worthy of a fucking Nobel Prize for Literature.

Sorry nobody wants to read the novelization of your campaign, user.

Ours is pretty good. About 300 pages and ends on a cliffhanger.

>implying this idiot will ever get around to publishing anything in his whole life

I was actually in a situation like this. Joined a group, played with them for two years before the GM suddenly announces "I think this story is good enough that I want to novelize it, do I have everyone's consent to use your characters?"

I proceeded to laugh my ass off because no, there was nothing in the campaign remotely original or interesting. It was fun as a hobby but as a novel that the guy actually intended to make money off of? I said it right to his face, no he didn't have my consent because my character wasn't good enough to be in any real fiction, none of ours were. He sulked so hard at my answer that he refused to GM for the group for an entire month because he "didn't feel like he was good enough to" thanks to what I had said. I was perhaps a little harsh but roleplaying is just a hobby for me. The characters I write aren't anywhere near good enough for actual fiction and nor are those of most people I play with.

will i get a cut of the profits?

>By signing up for this game you consent to having your character included when I publish the video game adaptation of the campaign

Time to whip out the ol' B Team roster.

Generally plots in these kinda games suck, but you can generally get a couple good characters out of it.

This is the real reason to copy existing characters. The dream is he actually starts and after a year you get to tell him he's writing Fresh Prince fanfic.

I'd bet good money your book actually sucks.

The worst thing I've done is mentioned that I'm a published author at my local game store. I'm not famous or rich by any stretch, but I've got a few literary short stories published under my belt.

Now every local neet in our game store who wants to write a story has slithered up to me and asked me about the professional publishing business. I'm not even an expert but I try to help them out. The ideas that pitch are horrific.

Twice I was dumb enough to say I'd even proof read their work. One was just boring D&D game and the other one gives me nightmares.

I love paper and pen Rpgs, but I'd never try to publish one of my adventures as a book.

>Check out how people write "battle reports" for RPG sessions (or whatever proper term is).
>Fucking 2000 words short story
>Part 1/4

>I said it right to his face, no he didn't have my consent because my character wasn't good enough to be in any real fiction, none of ours were.

>I won't let you try to do something because I don't believe in it, or you

user, if any of my friends want to try and make some art, I encourage them. The fact you not only discouraged this guy, but prevented him from trying is reprehensible. I get being critical of something someone has made, especially if they're delusional about how good it is. But to disparage someone who hasn't even tried yet is pathetic.

The odds that your campaign turns into a good readable book is basically nil, but that's not the fucking point here; it costs you nothing for him to try. He had everything to gain as a writer, but you took it from him. Maybe he gets halfway through this project and he comes to his senses and realizes it's no good, but he takes the ideas he liked from this story and he tries again on another. Maybe his second attempt at a novel would have been better, maybe the 20th or 25th even gets published as a book. We won't know now because your dumb ass sitting in that crab bucket thought he belonged there too and you pulled him back in.

I'll confess to being a version of this kind of faggot. I'm a good way into my first draft of a novel at the moment and have decided to start up a game set in the same universe but ten years prior to the events of the book. Basically they'll be playing as a quick reaction force during a war of aggression in a low tech science fantasy setting in which humans have evolved to have what are basically superpowers. Not original, I know, but I thought I'd have fun with the idea to explore some different things the genre hasn't seen much.

I told the players if it goes well I'd consider making some things canon (ish) and if it doesn't we'll just have fun in this world I built.

this user loves and supports his friends

I write short resumes of my play seasons on my diary but they are never too long plus its a diary so it reads like a shopping list.

That's just good bookkeeping m8

I was told that I should be an author by one of my players.
I appreciate the thought, but I'll stick to DMing and maybe publish an adventure path or shitty text-based game like those 'Choice of...' ones. I'm good at writing a story around players. I am absolutely garbage at standalone.

If the GM folded badly just because some guy said no, then he needs to grow a spine before he gets to actually writing stories.

This.
As long as you are not under the delusion that you are writing a novel where one of the protagonists is named Fartbeard the Impotent Dwarf, you are free to write all events down.

>If the GM folded badly just because some guy said no, then he needs to grow a spine before he gets to actually writing stories.

>when I verbally abuse people, insult them, or discourage them
>it's their fault for listening to me in the first place

narcissist detected

>As long as you are not under the delusion that you are writing a novel where one of the protagonists is named Fartbeard the Impotent Dwarf,

I'd read a book about Fartbeard the Impotent Dwarf

he sounds like a much better character than the teenaged Chosen One prettyboy

>do I have everyone's consent to use your characters?
>mfw my 2nd level half-gnome paladin whom'st killed both his parents and forged katanas out of their spines is now my Intellectual Property and thus protected by copyright law, requiring other's consents to include them in their never-to-be-published fanfic

Does your GM bring his lawyer to your play sessions too? Implying that you need your player's consents to write about their characters is even more fucking retarded than wanting to write a novel about your epick quest to save princess foxtail.

I was going for
>Crying because somebody said something mean to you

Basically I'm a mix of these two anons.

I would love one day to see my campaign setting published, but I doubt it's ever gonna happen simply because I can't be assed to put the work in. There's always that initial spurt of inspiration that can get you started, but once shit gets menial, you grind to a halt.

I'm all for chasing your dreams, so go for it, and I mean, hell, who doesn't want to see their character in a book (assuming they're written well)? That would be cool as hell, so go for it.

But, lowkey, I sincerely doubt anything the theoretical "you" in this scenario will ever see the light of day. Even if a book gets published, I doubt it'll become a bestseller.

But hey, chase your dreams man, maybe you'll surprise me.

He didn't cry though, he just stopped because he thought, based on the Anons own post, that nobody was going to like anything he made. That's not crying, it's just giving up, and everybody including you does it sooner or later. We can all do our part to encourage each other *not* to give up.

Intellectual Property suits have been started and won over far less

the interactive form of RPGs means that a write-up novel is effectively written (from a legal standpoint) by all the players and the DM

>Intellectual Property suits have been started and won over far less
Started? Yeah. Won? No. IP suits are only viable when the plaintiff already has some product or another that is similar, and wanted to commercialize it. No competent lawyer would take a case where they client's only claim is "I mentioned it to him once".

>the interactive form of RPGs means that a write-up novel is effectively written (from a legal standpoint) by all the players and the DM

Shut the fuck up you fucking shitposting retard, I bet you also think Facebook statuses work as legal disclaimers.

is right, you had nothing to lose and still chose to bring him down for no valid reason. its basically the namesake of being a dick.

>
the point is he robbed him of the chance to try.

8000 words is nothing user, thats like 20 minutes reading at most.

I don't want to sound like one of those NEETs, but where do you go to get short stories published? Or hell, where do I go to read some? I'm huge on old pulp fantasy stories/novellas that would show up in literary magazines, but I've no idea where to find modern ones.

Would it okay to ask players if I record the game?

Like partially so I can have reference, and I can go back to stuff instead of (possibley falsely) trying to remember a game from three months back.

Also, would it be fine to ask to record a game saying "Oh, wanna make an actual play podcast out of this game?"

>Would it okay to ask players if I record the game?
Depends on the laws where you live. The place I live in has very weak privacy laws, and I often take advantage of the "one-party recording" rule, which allows me to record any conversation as long as I'm a part of it. It's illegal to record a conversation I'm not part of, but as long as I say a single word at some point during the conversation, I don't have to inform anyone else that they're being recorded.

Why do you have to ask for permission?
No decent campaign is going to be writeable as is.
Change the names and details of the story to make it more narrative.
Then you can publish it however you want.

Changing names and events means you are too creative in order to just paste nineteen logs of an RPG session and call it a novel.
We are talking about uncreative hacks, user. So uncreative they are in their hackiness, that they can't even rename Fartbeard into Shartbeard.

>the other one gives me nightmares
Go on...

I was expecting the kind of thing people greentext, but more expanded. Short session synopsis, character highlight, key events highlight, detailed description of some session defining scene, system impressions.
So short informative session report, maybe with some analyses, not a artistic retelling of every event. I found it confusing why would anyone even bother to read that desu.

Oh its bad. It's very bad. I've named it Fantasy Tumblr: The Novel.

It's about a super powerful female Not!Japanese wizardess who goes around beating up evil dumb male rapists. I can't honestly even elude to how utterly horrific it is.

Yeah, I hate Beast: the Primordial too.

I write, a lot. But I almost always go back and delete it because I absolutely loathe my own works. I usually don't get more then 300ish pages done though. Part of me wants to stick them on a site like Wattpad or something, but I'm afraid someone will take any unique setting ideas I had.

A girl who hangs out at the game shop I went to wrote a novel, had it published, and put two copies in the game shop. That was 4 years ago. They're still there.

I thumbed through one and it was... terrible, main character was a total self insert mary-sue, complete with angel wings.

It actually gave me hope for my own stories for a bit.

I knew the guy who wrote for Dystopian wars. Used to go to my now closed game store.

Was an interesting chap. Seem obsessed with Russia but was pretty bro tier.

I'm not published but I have several friends who are. And I'm going to repeat their advice, since I used to do the same thing as you.

NEVER delete your stuff. Storage is cheap and it's actually a morale booster to go back, months or years later and read your work. Yes, it's probably garbage, it's also more garbage than what you've written most recently, which means you're improving.

I've also been told by 3 different authors that writing a million words of shit is usually the amount of practice that goes into your writing before it's going to be any good at all. Don't worry about how good it is, just write.

>be me
>run a campaign online that I really like
>players stop playing due to schedule changes
>tell my normie friends about tabletop games
>they get excited and ask me to run a game for them
>write a campaign based on previous story, insert our pcs as npcs
>everyone enjoys the game
>but you, the gm, feel nothing but pain

I swear every hack "writer" on this site is "afraid people will steal their million dollar ideas." An idea/setting is nothing. Don't be a coward and stop making excuses.

I specifically do not mention I am a published writer inside of LGS. One of the guys who works there put two and two together after reading my name off my credit card and going "Oh man are you the author?"

I shook my head and smiled, then stepped outside and nodded for him to join me. Admitted I was the guy and said "You can ask me anything but make it quick and never mention this inside."

He had the basic questions about getting started in the business and I had to explain the only surefire way in is to have your father's literary agent shop your book. Which he got a chuckle out of and didn't seem to mind the brutal honesty.

He ended up publishing something through Amazon and told me about it. Sold several thousand copies and was pretty happy about it.

Also I have published a story based on a campaign I played in. In general, though, storytelling is about your themes, your pacing, your dialogue, and your lessons. Stories unto themselves aren't ever terribly different.

It's why established authors will write short story "mash ups," because it lets them play with some ideas.

If he mentioned it to him in email, thanks to the way US copyright law works, it's a pretty ironclad case.

If you're a lawyer, you're a bad one.

tl;dr get everything in email

Weak willed faggot detected.

If one person saying you suck makes you give up then you will never succeed in anything. You may as well just give up breathing all together if you're that weak willed.

>projecting
kek

Not him but if you are willing to give up your dreams because one person says something negative to you you were never going to fulfill those dreams anyway.

>If he mentioned it to him in email, thanks to the way US copyright law works, it's a pretty ironclad case.
Please stop talking out your ass. It's not a matter of whether there's "recorded evidence" that the player came up with his ORIGINUHL CHARACTHER, it doesn't fucking matter if there's a video recording of the actual session showing the player filling out his character sheet and then laminating it and printing it out 5 times, you don't own the rights to a fucking RPG character just because you were the one that made it up.

"US copyright law" wouldn't give you a case of ownership over a character used in a novel just because that character is based off a character you created for a fucking tabletop game. Rpg characters wouldn't be considered "works" under US copyright law mainly because you can't fucking sell them.

>b-but what about the entire novel itself? Surely every player in an rpg session has some kind of ownership claim over that story

No they don't. RPG sessions are also not "works" any more than a fucking conversation at a bar with your buddies is. Which is why authors don't need permission from people to quote them (only to include their real names) in works that they publish.

>If you're a lawyer, you're a bad one.
I'm not a lawyer, you're just one of these people that is either afraid of the big bad scary law or thinks that the law works like magic and gives people superpowers.

>gives extensive, angry rant about copyright law
>>I'm not a lawyer

I suggest you read some actual sources regarding intellectual property, rather than just talking out of your ass or parroting misinformation you read on a Mongolian goat breeding forum.

wow you sound both like an asshole and a cuck at the same time

>The characters I write aren't anywhere near good enough for actual fiction

ah yes, the high and noble art that is fantasy fiction novels. user, have you looked at a book shop lately? Every year there comes out tons of trash that gets published and sold. It's not some high bar user, the bar is in fact very low.

Saying that your character isn't good enough even for that bar is pretty pathetic.

People put books on a crazy high pedestal when it's just a medium that any old nut can use, including your GM, and I really can't understand why did you had to be such a shit over it.

>By signing up for this game you consent to having your character included when I publish the novelization of the campaign
well it wasn't the worst anime i've ever seen

>almost join a Pathfinder game where the DM introduces this as a caveat to him running it
>the guy was a "professional" DM who ran games every day of the week, all the same campaign but with different groups
>it was set in his special snowflake setting
>he bragged about how the reward for getting through it without a TPK was that the party that survived would feature in his book
>the campaign world was literally full of Disney villains, same names and everything
>they all had overpowered abilities that could wipe an entire party in one turn if they rolled well enough
>he actually hoped to publish a book off of this with Wizards of the Coast's (not Paizo's, WotC's) blessing and make a ton of money off of it.

Dodged a bullet on that one, I say.

user, if one of your players said you suck, why would you keep running the game for them? Why would you try and force it if they literally told you "this is pretty shit"

A story doesn't need to be original to be good. Hell, stories haven't been really all that original since Ancient Greece. That's right, they still follow the basic formulas established more than 2000 years ago.

Pic related is a good example. It's basically a big box full of fantasy tropes. Still has quite a few fans though because it's good storytelling.

It's not just some person, it's presumably a friend.
I'm sure you're a steel-willed lone wolf who has no need for such weakling crutches as that, but most people get pretty discouraged when their supposed friends (read: people whose opinion they value) shoot down their ambitions and laugh in their face about it.

lmao nothin personnel kid

This. Either it sucks and you need to improve or it doesn't suck and he's being a faggot, of which you will need to deal with in the millions.

It was pretty bad

it was
i only said it wasn't the worst
i do think it's hilarious that it was urobuchi's campaign though

It actually made me lose a lot of faith in both Urobuchi and Nasu.

i don't really think they put a ton of thought into it when they were fucking around with the game, from what i heard much wasn't changed and it only got through because the players were influential

I guess, but it was pretty close to Aldnoah Zero which basically paid Urobuchi to say he was a part of it while he only had to do with the first few episodes, and I was curious to see a Nasu thing that isn't just more Nasuverse stuff. I doubt they were all that involved with many elements of the show, but the whole thing was just a massively disappointing experience

Who expected a thread like this to have quality information? I bow to you, user.

>having faith in Nasu

>IP suits are only viable when the plaintiff already has some product or another that is similar, and wanted to commercialize it.
Your understanding of copyright law is wrong on a fundamental level.

If the GM takes a D&D session, novelizes it and publishes it, the players would be considered co-authors, as their contributions are non-negligible.

Since they are co-authors, they would be able to sue the author and/or publisher for damages.

Now mind you, this is all irrelevant. With basically one exception, no one wants to read your shitty D&D replay.

>Play a game
>DM wants to make a story of it
>Asks if I'm alright with that, sure if the other players are
>No, just my character

Doushio~

Weird, that's exactly what I was going to recommend to you.

>Someone is wrong on the internet
>Cannot correct them unless you have a postgrad degree on the subject
Hello welcome to fourchins enjoy your stay you uneducated faggot

>I'm not a lawyer
Yeah...

Chuck Tingle

>be retarded
>be called out for being a retard
>overly long, complex explanation as to why you're retarded
>lmao y u mad xD im just being retarded

I wasn't stopping him from doing anything. I was just letting him know that I thought his plan was a poor one and I refused to let him use something that I had made for what he had in mind.

He had made something, the campaign and he was delusional about its quality. This guy was over-enthusiastic about turning his hobby of roleplaying into a revenue stream and I refused to be any part of that.

In fact, I'll tell you what. He did end up writing several novellas of other campaigns that he self-published, just not the one involving my character in particular. I even bought a few to support him as a friend but that doesn't change the fact that they're borderline unreadable garbage filled with characters and stories that are anything but designed for the format, nor does it change the fact that combined, all of his novellas combined have barely scraped together a couple of hundred sales the last time I checked.

You're acting like I crushed his hopes and dreams. All I did was keep him from using my garbage original content specifically, because I felt like it wasn't good enough for anyone to want to spend money to read about. I also feel the same way about the other characters in the campaign and the other campaigns that guy has run but I have no say over any of those, so he was free to do what he wanted with them. And guess what? Turns out that yes, they weren't good enough for anyone to want to spend money to read about.

I was his friend, not his sycophant.

>user 1 makes a legal claim by saying copyright law applies
>user 2 disagrees
lmao user 2 ur not even a lawyer y u talking about law xD
(pls tell me when i'm angery enough >:3)

Cool, can you link me to the article that you interpreted as implying that ttrpg characters count as intellectual property? I tried looking next to the one that says mpreg fanfic is copyrighted and magical girls OC are protected under patent law but couldn't find it.

>I'M RIGHT
>ALL OF YOU ARE WRONG
>STOP POINTING OUT MY MISTAKES
>HAHA I AM SO SMARTER THAN ALL OF YOU

Pic related
>inb4 merely pretending to be retarded

>pointing out my mistakes

Mistakes such as:
>>I'm not a lawyer
>I suggest you read some actual sources
>lmao nothin personnel kid
>>I'm not a lawyer
>Yeah...

Shit user you're right all these critiques are SCATHING I wasn't really prepared for that level of in-depth criticism and I basically just yelled at all of them to stop making such good points.

Does someone ever wrote a book by DM a game and playing all the PC by himself?

>if I write a book about obama, obama is considered to be a co-author as his contributions are non-negligible
I'm actually worried by how many people in this thread think this is actually true.
>Now mind you, this is all irrelevant. With basically one exception, no one wants to read your shitty D&D replay.
Yeah, pretty much this actually. It's a moot point since you're not really publishing a story but an embezzled play report.

No

I SUPPOSED THE DICE WOULD BE CONSIDERED CO-AUTHORS AS WELL SINCE THEY DECIDE MANY OF THE OUTCOMES AND OVERRALL DIRECTION OF THE PLOT
NO YOUR FUCKING TABLETOP GAME IS NOT A FUCKING WORK OF ART OR A WORK OF ANY KIND ITS A BUNCH OF DUDES MAKING SHIT UP AS THEY GO ALONG AND IF SOMEONE DECIDES TO CHRONICLE IT AND SELL SAID CHRONICLE YOU DON'T GET CREDITED AS A CO-AUTHOR Veeky Forums I LOVE YOU WITH MY VERY HEART SO THAT'S WHY IM VERY ANGRY ABOUT THIS MISINFORMATION

ALSO
>DAMAGES
DAMAGES TO WHAT YOU FUCK??
I'm a little drunk and the captcha can tell as it's trying to kill me

>Saladin

Don't disrespect the best laugh in three kingdoms.

Alternately, Online GM/Group hoping to become the next Critical Role or Adventure Zone and bring the sweet merch money.

Well shit

>Hey, it's In Development. Just been fine tuning it for the past 12 years.

I worked at a farmer's market a few years back, was wearing a gamer shirt. Ended up having the stall I was working across from some fat chick who was hawking her fanfiction books, excitedly telling people that she's the original author and artist of it all. I could tell even across the pathway that it was all bad deviant-art tier shit. She kept trying to flirt with me after seeing my shirt. Made me decide to upgrade my clothes so I don't attract those people anymore and can pretend to be normal.

do you think chuck tingles books are based on campaigns?

I don't know. In Japan, plenty of RPG sessions are in fact published as (fairly shitty) light novels. Record of Lodoss War is one that became a franchise, for instance.

Hell, there was Red Dragon (which sucked) whose draw was "Famous LN authors get together and play D&D."

My DM bribes out group to write stuff with a neutered form of inspiration. We usually write them as diary entries, letters to people, that kind of thing.

It actually usually works really well.

>Weak willed faggot detected.
Saying this outs you as incredibly damaged yourself, just so you're aware.

There's also, more famously (in the west), Dragonlance, wherein the first three books are literally the (heavily edited) campaign of a group of friends

Which is why all the characters are basic/cliches, explains why the plot jumps around so badly, why characters die for seemingly no reason/at dramatically importune times, etc.

i think campaigns can give you ideas/concepts for a novel, but not the campaign itself

>have a homebrew game with some friends
>sorta an investigation/politics thing
>friends write up great characters
>an artist looking for inspiration
>cowboy looking for his sister who tried to make it big in the city but has disappeared
>detective who has been dragged into the case because of an ex superior called in a favor
Great setup but it sputtered out after the second session due to scheduling. It was years ago and I've threatened to write what I think would happen. I'm just too damn lazy and It was a mlp campaign . I like to sit and think on it but I know I'm not going to do it because the fan fiction part of the bronies is fucking retarded

Are you retarded?

Serious question.

>the campaign world was literally full of Disney villains, same names and everything
how did he think he would get away with that?