What is the absolute worst plot a DM has ever inflicted on you?

What is the absolute worst plot a DM has ever inflicted on you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pa-_CLER5zg
youtube.com/watch?v=uKMLQ_RgJ4A
youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gamer_(manhwa)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't agree with your implications.

The DM tried to run us against a sympathetic villain but he kept murdering children for no raisin.

What about a sultana?
Fuck you ff13 was great, fight me

>Fuck you ff13 was great, fight me
Sure. I'll just keep hitting X, that's how it works, yeah?

>not using steering wheel controls
pleb

>paying for and playing a game that the developers already went out of their way to tell you was shit by having a female be the maim character

no one to blame but yourself

look at this cuck that can't DK bongos

I bet you can't into ouija board controls for darksouls

I beat Rhythm Heaven with my pacemaker, sonny. Git gud.

Fuck off back to /v/

>pacemaker
>not plunging you hand into your chest and squeezing your heart so the the electrodes attached to it play the game to your squeezes.

Whats easy mode like?

I'm a permaDM, but I know the absolute worse plot I've inflicted on my players.

We did session zero for worldbuilding. One of the players made a race that was winged humanoids famed for drawing, "like anime come to life". It was clearly a joke, but I ran with it.

Later in the campaign, when they encountered this race, I put in all sorts of hamfisted anime tropes. It was a disaster.

>Evil has befallen the Kingdom of Hannigar and the Princess must set forth to free their people from the threat of evil and oppression. >Accompanied only by her trusted retainers and other local heros the party must work together to win back their freedom.

lemme get the description he made for, like, the first session (FE campaign)

>Chapter 1:
>Our story begins with the brave heros Marching From Hannigar towards Zephil to gain the help of their kingdom to defeat the evil Lord Talbot. Along the way they had to fight through the enemy forces that caught them outside Fort Raul, and met Mytanthes and Romas, a wandering Manakete and troubadour.

Pics or nothing.

youtu.be/pa-_CLER5zg

do autists really play games like that? why wouldnt they just get a job as a trucker? its easy and pays a lot but the work sucks which is why its not really popular. but if you enjoy it so much you pay money to do it in a game...

>GM sets up a Level 0 Pathfinder campaign in which we start off as NPC's who over the course of the first session gain their first character level.
>Village was comfy, we all knew one another, the NPC's were all friends and family that our characters had known for years.
>Then after killing some goblins who had assailed the village, we're invited on a journey by a noble who saw potential in us.
>All goes well until we all get TPK'd because the wizard casted fireball and the gunslinger had gunpowder on him.
>Also, demons from the far-realm are closing in
>We make new characters.
>Return to our old character's village.
>Most of our NPC's are dead or commit suicide.
>Final conflict is pretty much the GM arguing for why Chaos is a better alternative than Law, with our characters being caught between an "intellectual" slap fight that ends with us either dying or being locked in the hellscape that we had created by killing the BBEG.

>gets mad cause people played a game with a weird controller
>calls them the autists

i didnt say anything about the controller. i was talking about the game where you simply drive around as a truck driver that hes playing

I imagine it's good practice for training.

I can't ram myself into oncoming traffic in a fit of rage in real life.

It was a magical realm game so I'm not sure it should count.

The piece of shit one im in a roll20 game in right now with.

>someone's furry avatar has to go and save the world
>over the top powergamed and has hundreds of thousands worth of gold in powerful items and shit at level ten.
>entire game revolves around this fucking special snowflake that might as well be a dmpc
>nothing my character can do has any meaningful impact on the game, in combat or out of it.
literally like why the fuck am I even here?

>Fuck you ff13 was great
tell me the plot of FF13. Go on, I'll wait.

Serah.

Fuck the government, we do what we want.
Mixed with angst

Not with that attitude.

Dude we're forced to kill this guy, lmao, LET'S DO IT!

>Manakete this early
What

Isn't the plot the nearly the same as in Dirge of Cerberus?

Are you sure that's not Metal Gear 6: Hams of Contentment?
Cause that guy looks a lot like Razor Vinegaroon.

Convert to Islam.

We're playing Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. The plot's taking place in the Empire, where everyone else is from.
Except for the Knight, who's from Bretonnia.

The DM retires, and he passes the chair off to The Knight, who's wanted to GM for a little while now. He says he just wants to have a few sessions.
He doesn't retire his Knight to NPC status, but continues him as a GMPC, uses those sessions to shift the entire game to Bretonnia, give himself the daughter of a Duchess, lands and titles, kill every attached NPC we've had, and has all our characters locked up in a cell somewhere because "it'll make us stronger".

A group gets forced together in service of a mysterious being that brands them with a curse that will turn them into mindless zombies if they don't comply. Ostracised from society as a result, they reluctantly comply with this beings wishes, discovering ultimately that the entity is benevolent and that one of them must make the ultimate sacrifice to save the planet from other mysterious beings.

Not that difficult

youtube.com/watch?v=uKMLQ_RgJ4A

Never liked weeb shit and this is why

You're on an anime imageboard made to discuss japanese culture now owned by a japanese man

We had to stop The Grinch from "slaying the foolish youth" of "Pleasantville" (which in the setting description was often mispelled, not always consistently). Along the way we ran into Frieza, from DBZ, since we weren't discreet enough about our tracking of the Grinch, who punched us into another dimension.

The GM ran a game that was just generic adventure, looking for wealth and fortune and no big overall world doom plot or anything like that. There was of course a DMPC. As it turned out, the DMPC had some super bounty hunter chasing him. The end game was us standing there watching the DMPC and the Bounty hunter fight. It lasted 4 hours. 4 hours of the DM fighting himself. That was the only game I ever fell asleep at the table.

that sounds hilarious

I would love to play something like this as a one off. A lot of DM's try to have stupid shit in their game but if your going to do that go full on crazy like this.

and god only knows what the fuck the setting is, for all we know, maybe manaketes are all over the place

>custom game based on some kind of Korean webcomic
>modern day era
>PCs enter a "dungeon", a parallel universe with no people
>need to kill all monsters to get out
>monsters are 4 black puddings in the grass near a stadium
>puddings move very slowly when approached, not dangerous
>hit them
>nothing happens
>stab them
>nothing happens
>run them over with a car
>nothing happens
>set them on fire with gasoline
>nothing happens
>electrocute them
>nothing happens
>lock them in a giant freezer
>nothing happens
>lock them in an industrial oven
>nothing happens
>fucking DMPC is watching us
>does not intervene
>does not answer our questions
>just laughs
>game lasts 4 fucking hours
>call it a night
>"you just had to emit magic energy from your hands to harm them, the MC figured it out in the comic, you guys are stupid"
>none of us knew there was magic in this setting, nor that the PCs were able to use it
>most boring game I ever played
>worse than the time we played a 6 hours long one-shot without ever meeting the other PCs

Okay Veeky Forums, what's the best FF setting and why is it the best?

Anything that was between 1-5 (maybe 11 and 12 are counted too)

Maybe because i like their fantasy elements more. 6,7,13 and 15 feels too typical modern anime mish mash for me.

Also:
>Sky ships
>Magitech bots
>Insane renaisance era-like clothing with steroids
>Kobolds

Personally my favourite setting is FFIVs (FF2 if you're in the US) just because I like the takes on how all the civilisations interact and the clarke-ism with the magi-tech originating from an advanced precursor civ in hybernation, as this avoids the fact that in other FF games people can construct magi-tech but never explain how it works. As much as pre-cursor civilisation tends towards cliche.
Also the fact that it was the first FF game to have a story that wasn't the traditional hero's journey and instead a redemption arc changes how one views the locations we visit. On top of this you have the Tower Of Babil, one of the coolest loactions in FF, how can one not love a super mecha?

FFXIV ARR's Eorzea is a pretty cool world too. Very fleshed out with lots of distinct locations, races and cultures which is nice. Although Im not a huge fan of the magi-tech, and it all becomes a bit kitchen sink as the game has progressed. Especially when heading to Ala Migho. Also there are many flaws in the story and the leaders of the main three cities from vanilla were retarded, and their decisions shaping the world take away from it.

9 is the best followed by 6

I have to say 9, just because of how it stood at the cusp of complexity that later games would have, while holding the character that earlier games did.

8 I found unappealing, due to it's "high school anime" feel, and while I enjoyed playing 7, it seemed grim and depressing, but didn't work well enough to play it as a theme.

If you'll bid me decide on the best of Squaresoft/Square Enix's though it would 100% be Chrono Trigger (although I can't comment on the world in Chrono Cross because I haven't played it).

Reasons why:
>Time Travel
>Retro-futurism
>Magic blended seamlessly alongside tech
>Space gods from space
>Distinct cultures in different eras

It really wasn't fun to play through. It was the sort of wacky and loony that didn't manage to be funny or entertaining, and felt more like we intruded on someone's acid trip.

12; because it's already basically a setting with Eberron.

Seems like a traditional games imageboard made to discuss traditional games, founded by some honkie

You're both wrong, it's actually a Swazilandian Flute Hollowing Imageboard and you're on a board made to discuss Djiboutian Lizard Taming. And the whole thing was constructed by a Kiritibatian Soap-opera Actor.

>posting DIO

>kek'd at the filename, knowing someone would make that mistake

Ivalice. So much diversity in time periods, technologies & everything.

6 and 12.
6 because it has an interesting setting and because the world ends, and the game keeps on going. Also Kefka.

12, also the setting, not quite urban fantasy but almost, and we're seeing the age of heroic knights and cavalry charges being replaced with modernish combat. Also because the actual villain through most of the story is a party member that thinks she's out for revenge but is on the path to destroy everything.

>Fuck you ff13 was great, fight me
What really did the game in for me was the one scene where Lightning almost has character development but doesn't.

a lot of board game plots that involve a GM have been pretty terrible but I won't count those, so I would say when I was made to test combat encounters with premade characters. The enemies were level appropriate but they made no coherent sense why they would be fighting together, somehow more random than encounters in NetHack and the like

>IT WAS ALL A DREAM, GUYS

Life is just a dream and just as truthful and one day we will all wake up from it. No need to be mad.

I've honestly never had bad plots, just bad groups.

>missing spike-spiegel.jpg

This.

I really liked FFVIII's worldbuilding, even if the rest of the game was kind of a disaster. I guess I'm kind of a sucker for less high fantasy type deals, and the in-game encyclopedia was always interesting.

I mean, you still gotta remove all the characters except maybe Edea and the Headmaster, but the setting itself was cool.

Anyway, worst plot? Probably the one where we were dumped into fairyland without warning and forced to suffer through the GM's fetishes (most of which involved mistreating small children and/or femdom) before the plot could progress.

youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc

>What really did the game in for me was the one scene where Lightning almost has character development but doesn't
The best thing about 13-3 (why did 13 need TWO sequels?) was that suddenly god took Lightning's emotions (a character who's only emotion is "Sarah") and proceeded to demand if she wants to see Serah again (an appeal to her only emotion, that was taken away) unless she saves the world (that she would have done anyway to make sure Serah is safe).

That's tough. I fucking love 4 through 10 for different reasons. Even 12, 13 and 15, which are pretty shit all have 1 or 2 good bits of worldbuilding. I gotta second too that despite it's flaws 14 has a really good setting.

I like how 13-2 had such shit MCs that you found yourself routing for the time traveling pedo more then annoying girl, kingdom hearts reject and moogle.

Six has best story.

Eight has best take on cosmic evil

Four best character hooks

Five... oh sweet five, has best mechanics.

Five had the best characters too, I think.

Fourteen had the best redemption arc :^)

I see what you did there...

The best FF is Tactics.

I once had to play through a D&D game where the plot revolved around magic rings created by something called the Skaambie.
The Skaambie was a magical guy who dressed like a ska musician.
We were never told why we needed to find the rings and the DM got pissy when we would ask.
The villain was some dude who approached us in a tavern and tried to buy the rings and then decided to tag along with the party with clear intentions to betray us.
We ditched him when we were hanging out at a DMPCs castle and he couldn't do anything because the DMPC was a level 20 dragon wizard.
The campaign fell apart a few sessions later.
The adventure was peppered with racist jokes and the most overpowered DMPCs I have ever come across.
We never got to do much of anything.
There are some very good games out there where you play as a female though granted there aren't that many.
Nier: Automata, Silent Hill 3, and the Metroid series all starred women and were pretry good.
It has been years since I played it but it was endearingly fanciful without sacrificing drama.

Holy cow that sounds atrocious

so many people in this thread can't tell the difference between plot and setting

Green text?
You should kill him then.

> Fourteen best redemption...

Five had most hardcore villain.

[Spoiler] Seriously, you can't even beat him. He laughs in his 'theme'. The final battle you're akin to gnats, where he loses concentration and slips into the abyss.[/spoiler]

Bad ass

what the fuck even is this question?

It's FFVI and it's because we have all said so repeatedly and forever.

The people I play with tend to want to DM from time to time, and one of them is really just bad at doing it.
He sometimes will just get lazy and want to end the campaign so he just does his best in finding a way to kill everyone to the point it has become an inside joke about the fact that if you get a 1 in an encounter then you'll probably end waking up locked in a room with 20 crazed cultists.

Final Fantasy X-2.5

Ivalice now and forever even if I can barely remember the plot in 12 due to excessive wandering around the world while killing shit for encyclopedia entries.

FFT Ivalice was the best setting and story and if you disagree you are wrong and should feel bad.

Name me another FF game and world setting that would be better than FFT Ivalice.

I'd forgotten that existed. I should read it at some point, it sounds awful

Robot gods miss the real god that made them. They figure if they manage to genocide humanity in one go they will force the doors of heaven open wide enough that god can pass through again / God will come to investigate why everything is fucked. Except as robot gods they can't bypass their programming, so they manipulate humanity into being paranoid zealots and the main protagonists into doing it for them.

It's gonna be the one I inflict on my players

that and fucking solid random encounter mechanics alongside good combat

I love too kek

The worst thing is that by trying all those different things for 4 hours you were all much more creative than what the DM intended. You were simply too smart for his game

>tell me the plot of FF13
"Go do that thing or I'll kill you."
"What is it you want me to do?"
"I'm not saying."

>custom game based on some kind of Korean webcomic

I felt like 7 had maybe the most interesting setting, because it was very cyberpunk, at least early one. I actually preferred it to Shadowrun as far as a dystopian future+magic setting went. Although it wasn't one of my favorite games overall, and it seemed to give up on really exploring the setting much after the first disc or so. That was about when the franchise was taken over by teen angst and whatnot.

>Six has best story.

>What is the absolute worst plot a DM has ever inflicted on you?
The automatic answer is no plot at all, but as far a games that had a story that just made no sense, I was in a really long running DnD game years back when I was starting out that was fucking bizarre.

The plot was, at inception, that an ancient lich had returned from the dead and raised an army of zombies and skeletons and such, and that army had marched across the entire continent, doing nothing on the way, I guess, to get to this one city we were supposed to save, and laid siege to it. This was okay at first, although this siege of the undead lasted for like five in game years with no progress made on either side to break it, despite the fact that the army consisted of like 10th level vampires and demons who would wreck your shit if you tried to fight them off, but who never actually attacked the city. It went on so long that eventually, when I started asking questions about how this city hadn't starved to death, the GM "reminded us", or as I would say, retconned, that the city was on the ocean, and so imported all of its food through the sea. For five years. With no ability to leave the walls. during which time the population never decreased.

So, as far as we understood, having been told this by the GM, tons of NPCs, and fucking Pelor himself, we needed to collect like 12 ancient super weapons, bring them back to a temple, and this would somehow defeat the lich. We spent almost two years of real world time doing this only to then be told that that actually did nothing, and it was unnecessary, and the GM had been "confused" for the past two fucking years as to why we were devoting all our time to doing this. And that the only thing we needed to do to kill the lich was have someone "not of this world" stab him, because he could be slain by "no man of this world", and our GM was very original.

So this was the tiefling in the group who was the only tiefling in the world and who, no, the GM assured us, he had totally not retconned the plot to incorporate. This had always been the plot. What do you mean 12 magic weapons? Where did you even hear about that?

So then, the tiefling player, who had gotten a job in game working for the mage's guild in the forever besieged city, decided he didn't want to go on adventures anymore because they were dangerous and refused to help. So we had to go kill the fucking lich ourselves, and then drag its fucking head back to the castle, and then, not even kidding, pick up the guy's arm and use it to stab the lich, because even when we put its phylactery in front of him he was like, "meh", and then the lich was destroyed.

There was also the most confusing, irrelevant, and time absorbing political sub plot I've ever seen involving ascension to the throne, two evil princes, a war between the chromatic and metallic dragons, and an empire of eladrin with WW2 style fighter planes, which made no fucking sense to me ever, and seemed mostly to be pulled out of the GMs ass as we went.

It was actually one of the most fun games I've ever played in, which kind of speaks more for the poor quality of GMs I've had since than for the quality of the actual game, but the story was absolute nonsense.

FFT Ivalice with more Bangaas.

FF12 Ivalice

It was this one: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gamer_(manhwa) .

>>PCs enter a "dungeon", a parallel universe with no people
That parallel universe is that DM's everyday life.

>worse than the time we played a 6 hours long one-shot without ever meeting the other PCs
STORYTIEM
NOW

>DM sets up an impromptu game because one of his friends is in town
>6 players total
>game is medieval super sentai homebrew
>why_not.jpg
>pregen PCs
>regular peons
>don't know each other
>lives hundreds of kilometres apart of each other
>spread across a whole continent
>a meteorite falls near each of their homes