One Piece

A thread dedicated to the development and discussion of the One Piece RPG, inspired by Eichiro Oda's titular work.

System building, character building, campaign building, and general advice and discussion are all welcome.

last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/8hKCXtP
pastebin.com/gY5w7qSY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

to start us off, some ideas from anons last thread.

> Zipper Zipper fruit: The user can "zip up" openings such as windows, doors, or eyes by grabbing one end and closing a zipper that appears. The user can also increase the size of openings by unzipping them. The zippers remain indefinitely and only vanish when fully opened.

> Axle Axle fruit: he user can rotate themselves or any object they touch at high speeds. With focus, the user can place the center of rotation outside of the object, allowing them to move things at high speeds. The user can fly by placing the center of rotation in the air above them.

>Sweep Sweep Fruit- The user becomes a Broom Human, and gains the power to sweep up things. Whether it's sweeping away attacks, sweeping up enemies, sweeping debris into a dangerous projectiles, sweeping aside obstacles, or even sweeping up a person's attitude, it's power is truly fearsome

>Comi Comi Fruit- Turns the user into a Comic human. Allowing them to produce and manipulate speech and thought bubbles (which are visible to others, so be careful what you think) sound effects and visual effects. The user also has empty panels on their body that they can remove to capture a scene within, and then store back on their body, these scene panels can be used to travel where the panels captured, but if the panels are broken the scene is lost.

>Sprout Sprout Fruit- This Paramecia fruit gives the user the ability to sprout trees from the ground instantly, from small to large. To do this, the user must plant something within the ground, anything, whether it's food, a sword, or even their own fist, and once planted, a tree of their desired size will rapidly spring up. The trees are barren of leaves, and instead, at the end of each branch will be whatever the user planted. So if the user plants a sword in the ground, a tree covered in swords will sprout out. The ground does not need to be dirt, as long as the user can fully submerge what they plant beneath it, and they can even do it on walls or ceilings, as long as the surface is deep enough to fit the object. Trees will remain, but will be attached to whatever was planted, so if the original 'seed' is removed from the ground it will uproot the tree with it.

>Sick Sick Fruit- Allows the user to produce various illnesses and diseases in their body and can release them freely. The side effect is the user is always in a sickly state.

>Relax Relax Fruit- A fruit that grants the user the ability to 'relax' long and none living things by petting them. Cause enemies to lose their strength, or fences and doors to droop weakly, allowing passage is just some uses.

>Saw Saw Fruit- Allows the user to turn parts of their body into saws and can use these to saw through any material, the denser or tougher the material, the harder it is to saw however

How would you guys go about ship-to-ship combat? Or statting a ship for that matter?

Would everyone just man a battlestation, roll initiative, and get shit done against the enemy vessel like a regular encounter?
Or do you let the Captain roll for the ship, and just have everyone else do their freeform thing while trying to keep the ship afloat?

>A devil fruit that lets you absorb the color from objects and leave them nonfictional and brittle like chalk. Color can be released in cool energy basts

>A tree sap logia

>A devil fruit that lets you create a door to a “freezer” in your chest that is basically a subzero pocket dimension.

>A human human model: yeti zoan

>A salamander zoan that gives the eater intense regeneration ability

i think it would be better to do it voltron style. where everybody's stat's combine and the ship fights as one giant entity rather than a group.

so the ships speed stat would be determined by one player etc.

that would be good way to incorporate what roles people have on the ship as well.
specifically ship related ones like navigator or captain, since Sanji probably wouldn't be able to do much in ship-to-ship encounters if he can't just straight jump onto the other dude's ship; although there might be something we can do to make sure that every player has something to contribute.

>Sanji probably wouldn't be able to do much in ship-to-ship encounters if he can't just straight jump onto the other dude's ship
The dude has straight up kicked cannonballs away from the Sunny back at enemy ships before. In fact I think all of the melee types in the Strawhats have done that.

>Butter Butter Fruit- A special Paramecia that turns the user into a 'butter man' The user becomes slippery (not to the extent of the Slip Slip Fruit) and can 'butter up' things he touches to make them slippery. However the major strength of this power is it's 'psuedo logia' attribute, in that getting damaged will cause chunks of him to be torn off without actually hurting himself, but he cannot just regrow them, and must physically reattach parts that were blown off. It also has the attribute of 'melted butter' in that he can willingly, or if chunks of himself are damaged too much, will become melted butter. While melted, the 'butter' takes some time to solidify.

>Snarl Snarl Fruit- A Paramecia fruit that allows to user to summon a stone statue of a dog, by patting any sizable rock. The rock will morph (or if it's too big, the statue will come from the rock) into a statue of a dog, the dog, despite being stone, is alive. The stone dog will obey the user completely(though it may act spoiled and moody if it doesn't get fed or pet enough) and will defend the user even at the cost of it's health or life (it's stone, so it's not a big deal if it gets hurt)

>Gacha Gacha Fruit- A Paramecia that turns the user into a Gashapon human. At any time the user can safely swallow any object they can fit in their mouth, and that object is then stored inside them. By turning the dial on the user's body, the user, or other people, can release a gachapon capsule from their belly containing a random object stored inside the user. The user can also freely eject empty capsules large enough to contain a person, they are easily popped open, but durable enough to use as a defense.

>Evo Evo Fruit- A Paramecia that turns the user into an Evolving Human. At it's normal state, the user is a monkey form, but when the power of the fruit is activated, the user will slowly change, after some time, the user will become a caveman form, and after more time, they will attain human form. The user will grow stronger as their form progresses, however, once human form is attained, after some time, the user will revert back into their monkey form and have to start over again

>Twinkle Twinkle Fruit- A Logia fruit that turns the user into an element of stars.

>Fume Fume Fruit- A Paramecia that turns the user into a Fuming Human. The angrier the user becomes, the more they puff up, and the tougher they become. Once the user reaches maximum anger, they will blow their top, venting out all their rage in burning hot steam they can control. Once the steam is all vented, the user will return to a calm and serene state of peace.

As said, the crew have regularly displayed defensive measures while in a ship-to-ship encounter, so if a system incorporates naval combat you'd have to involve some way for the crew on the ship to defend and attack ships separately from the ship itself

how do you think logias/special paramecia would be balanced as to not overshadow a group?

Haki. You cause enough trouble and they’ll send some big dogs after you.

At the risk of starting another Devil Fruit pile, I thought up a fun one.

>Nope Nope Fruit: The eater is unable to be affected by things that they are not aware of existing or flat out refuse to believe exist.

Out of sight, out of mind- The Guy.
Ghosts, zombies, space men? They can’t possibly be real, so that thing in front of me can’t really be drawing a sword into my chest.
As a trade-off, you’d have to make this guy extremely gullible for playability. A half-decent argument could nullify his entire schtick. Obviously, this is a power that would be less and less effective the farther into the New World he goes.

logias and logia-like paramecia don't automatically dodge; that's a trained reflex. They can be hit like anyone else until they learn that specific skill.

By that logic, this guy is immune to being attacked from the back unless he knows someone’s there. You can’t sneak up on him and expect to get anything accomplished. He’d survive a shipwreck if he slept through it. ...Until he hit the water at least.

>Be immune to backstabbing/sniping/surprise attacks/whathaveyou
>Develop Observation Haki because knowing Haki is almost a basic necessity in the New World
>...
>FUCK

Watch him learn to look so hard that he blinds himself intentionally.

We made a Discord to try to get online One Piece RPGs started.

discord.gg/8hKCXtP

If nothing else, you should join and lurk so you'll be ready if you have the urge for some ADVENTURE.

>discord

what elements are left to make logia out of?

Surprise.

... what? What's wrong with Discord? It's a low barrier to entry and means you don't have to hunt for archived threads on Veeky Forums.

Discord is the flavor of the month for the contrarian faggots to sperg out over and reeeee at.

when will system user come back from war

A lot. If we put metals into separate categories, you could have silver, gold, platinum and brass, or a catch all metal logai, wood, plants, dirt, rock, clouds, air, and if Gas is a catch all logia, you could have a logia for Solid, or Liquid, anything that occurs naturally in the world without any influence of human hands can be a logia.

My dumb ass forgot the pic and ruined the whole joke.
Anyway system user is prolly getting fisted right about now.

Hey, this is pretty awesome.

So I'm the guying trying (and having a pretty hard time) to build the system. Guessing that by next week I should have the basic character creation for you guys to criticize.
The process right now is nailing down stats and such, then trying to build the strawhat using the system. If they fir nicely enougb that is a good sing that most other characters will

what do you have so far?

The main stats, what each stat does, how to change tour character and a "quirk" mechanic.

I'm trying to nail down now the character progression and how to acquire devil fruit/fighting styles.
I'm getting a page from the previous system user and using his Romance Points(RP). In here, RP will be awarded when you defeat enemies, increase your bounty, character backstory and so on. This way, players will be able to spend these points to make up new moves, new buffs (Gears, for example), increase stats and maybe even find devil fruits should suficient points be spent. This is to try and emulate the progression feeling One Piece has, where characters are always coming up with new and interesting ideas and moves. The problem right now is deciding how much each thing should cost, though I feel this will sort itself out once i try building more characters.
This has been your friendly neighborhood user update. Should probly get a trip.

*your character's race

ooh, I wouldn't mind taking a look. You have any of it on you at the moment?

should we provide example PCs once we get a solid system?

should we have special paramecia be their own category?

yes. one for each fruit type, at the very least

Yeah, devil fruits are not created equal. To that effect, I'm categorazing them in tiers, so both player and GM can fine tune what should and should not be avaible depending on the campaign. So far, the tier list is as follows:
Zoan < Normal Paramecia (Luffy's, Buggy's) < Ancient Zoan < Special Paramecia (Law's, Doff'ys) < Normal Logia (Monet's, Crocodile's) < Broken Paramecia (Whitebeard's) = Mystical Zoan (Marco's) < Broken Logia (Enel's, Aokiji's)
I know it's not perfect, but it's a start. Going back to what I posted earlier, devil fruits would range from 7 to 15 romance points, aiming to follow these tiers (higher tiers = more points spent), while having the GM's word be final in regards to cost. You guys insput is welcome.

Sorry for not posting much today, I'm on call and the hospital wifi is shit. But tomorrow I can put together a pastebin so we will have something.

I think logia should all be in one category; from what it seems logias are very environment specific in how string they are. the ice ice fruit seemed string because Aokiji always had plenty of water around him to freeze, and Enel was as OP as he was because facing a no-haki party trying to access a literal sky island.

I think means special paramecia as in katakuri's logia-but-not style fruit.

I'd just make it so all fruits are as strong as each other, honestly; with the difference being the user.
a mythical zoan can be a tsuchiniko just as much as it can be the kraken.

I don't think fruits should be separated into such opinionated categories. The whole idea behind DFs is they all rely on the user. I mean, what makes Crocodile and Monet's DF's any less broken and Enel or Aokiji? Why would Whitebeard's be any more broken than Luffy or Buggy's? Why wouldn't Law and Dofffy's be broken Paramecia's, since they can instantly take out enemies and effect huge ranges. If you start dipping into such specific categories based on your opinion it can make a big mess of things

Also remember that Doffy's is only so strong because he Awakened his fruit powers.

No, Doffy is strong even without Awakening, Awakening didn't give Doffy all his abilities, just the ability to turn his surroundings into string. He developed Paraste, Sky's Path, Black Knights, Overheat and Bird Cage among his more broken abilities, himself.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Still, I feel from a balance stand point and from the narrative within One Piece the cut between zoan, paramecia and logia should still be present. I agree that big part of a fruit can and will do relies on the user, but in universe logias are rarer than paramecia and zoan, so I would more confident with at the very least logias having bigger cost, though 1 or 2 more than the others.

Oh of course, I didn't mean all fruits should be available equally, I meant there shouldn't be tier lists for fruits in game.

Quick, Veeky Forums, name as many ways as you can think of to erase someone's memory without a devil fruit.

I would but I can't remember any

You're right, tiers would be too restrictive, which is not very One Piece-like. The point difference will only account for said devil fruit rarity, not it's inherent powers.

I agree with in that the power of a Devil Fruit lies heavily in the creativity of the user, but I still see the value in creating a tier system. I think it should both be influenced by both how powerful the fruit is at the start in addition to how strong it is in the hands of the user. For the same reasons I don't think putting them all in a singe set of tiers is fair because it can get difficult to compare the powers of two entirely different types. Furthermore the tier does not represent someone's strength, rather, how much the DF in in of itself lends to the combat capabilities of the user. Here is the tier system I propose:

>Zoan Tier 1
Gives bonuses to physical capabilities the vary depending on the reference animal (exe: Dalton, pre-timeskip Chopper without rumble balls)
>Zoan Tier 2
Gives higher bonuses to physical capabilities along with smaller powers that enhance the user's abilities to a greater degree or are just extra powers such as venom or flight that can be easily recreated by other techniques (exe: Kaku, Pell, post-timeskip Chopper)
>Zoan Tier 3
Gives even higher bonuses to physical capabilities along with other powers that could be seen as paramecia or even logia like (exe: Sengoku, Marco)

>Paramecia Tier 1
Gives the user basic abilities that cannot be used to directly harm enemies, rather enhance the user's techniques by augmenting their range, power, etc. May also come with defensive abilities that give a general increase to durability and even an immunity to a very specific type of damage. (exe: Luffy at the start of the series, Buggy, Viola)
>Paramecia Tier 2
Gives the user abilities that could not be recreated without the means of super-science. These abilities include (many) of those that can produce and/or manipulate a substance, cause direct harm, create minions, etc. Abilities that also increase physical techniques to a high enough degree that can be considered to be in this tier as well. (exe: Moriah, Luffy post-Enies Lobby, Magellan)
>Paramecia Tier 3
Gives the user immense destructive abilities either to the environment in general or specifically organisms, all "awakened" paramecia, and those with abilities that could be mistaken for those of a logia. (exe: Dolflamingo, Katakuri, Whitbeard)

>Logia Tier 1
Gives the user intangibility (whether or not this is passive is up to the player's training) and is associated element that is not seen as fairly "destructive" in nature. Might come with a sub-power related to the element. (exe: Caribou, Monet)
>Logia Tier 2
Associated with elements that are seen as destructive, either to the environment in general or simply organisms. Also grants intangibility, although very few users at this point will not have yet mastered passive intangibility. (exe: Ace, Crocodile)
>Logia Tier 3
Give the user immense destructive ability, to the point where it could permanently affect an area's climate. No user who has not mastered passive
intangibility can be tier 3 (exe: The original three Admirals)

Forgot to put a side note: for Logias, the Yami Yami no Mi is a special case given its unique abilities

I still see it as pointless categorization of a system that is already well defined and presents a distinct "oh these fruits are a higher tier, so they are better" power level argument that has no actual point in being included into a One Piece game, cause then you'll have to do the same with everything, from techniques, fighting styles, weapons, and non-DF related powers, cause people may go "Yeah, but how would [this] stack up against Tier 2 Paramecia fruit, if it doesn't compare then it's not really worth having"

Zoro made himself forget that he saw a mermaid because she was so hideous. So work with something like that?

I meant to use this as a method of determine the “Romance Point” cost of having a DF ability, while still trying to set up room for growth. What do you have in mind for the mechanic surrounding getting DF powers?

I was thinking that starting with a Devil Fruit, for player balance, would require a small stat reduction upon character creation. Either that or, like in DW, give Devil Fruits a flat Romance Point cost, taking up most of the starting points.

There comes a point when we have to draw a line in the sand, One Piece won't translate directly to tabletop if you want any semblance of player balance. Might be best to create a flat starting point and let individual DMs sort it out.

Oh hey, this is a pretty neat concept. Is it still in the idea phase or is there a group working on the mechanics? Would love to work on the crunch for this.

The ideia is for exactly that. Devil fruits take a lot of Romace Points in character creation, so player that choose this route end up with fewer overall bonuses than characters that choose not having one.
As I said before, they cost between 8 and 10 points, depending on rarity and the GM's choice. So far, I've decided on 12 RP points for a starting pool, with possibility for expanding up to 15. So a devil fruit would at least take up over half the starting points

Development has started this past week. Once I have the character creation I'd be down for making this a group effort, my time is stretched thin as it is right now

Hm, I see. Well what, mechanically, is "Done" so far?

Is the discord in thread where we are organizing?

I think the discord is just people looking for games to join.

Should the system be prepared for marine campaigns?

I imagine if the system is done well enough you could have any kind of campaign or character, from pirates, to marines, to bounty hunters, to some random panda headed wrestler in the background.

Does that mean players can't make Luffy-tier characters who are inhumanly strong with or without a devil fruit?

I dont imagine that anyone should really be luffy tier since he's the MC.

Would they be donut steels?

Steel Donuts would be an awesome weapon for a chef character.

But a lot of characters in One Piece are Luffy tier or better. Ace and Sabo were kicking the shit out of adults as kids, Zoro and Kuina were power houses in sword fighting, Big Mom could kill giants at five, Garp was taming tigers with his fists, and that's just a few. So it's very reasonable that a player could make themselves insanely strong in comparison to where they start out at.

Should having the Will of D provide mechanical benefits?

Only towards will checks and the like, since, besides Blackbeard, all Ds have incredible wills and no fear of death. Until we learn more of what exactly it is I think that's the safe bet.

>chef that fights with steel donuts
I'm tempted to make that one of the pregens now.

Depends on what you comsider Luffy-tier. Do you mean post-timeskip? Then no, at least not right off the bat. The system is not designed as "I got this many RP, so now I can cash them in", they can be spent at anytime to make your character stronger, make up new moves, buy new equipment and so on.

The starting pool of 12 RP is meant to balance characters at pretty much East Blue Luffy, which I consider a good starting point. If however the players and GM want to start somewhere down the line, with characters with a bit more experience under their belt the poin pool can be increased. That is by the way what I'm working on right now.
I just realized also that I did not make it clear that Romace Points are not used for stats, though if any are left over after character creation they can fueled back into stats.

I think starting point Luffy is what he meant, a character who shows up, despite being in East Blue, and can wipe the floor with entire crowds of armed men and soldier with ease, while also being a DF user (optional I think) but basically an anomaly in terms of strength and fighting prowess for where they are.

Don't die on me quite yet thread.

post ideas for potential PCs, whether they're intended to be pregens or not.

Ok, so for Donut Steel user:

Muriel "Granny" Croque
>A sweet old woman who was born on an island famous for its ore deposits and mining community. Her passion, however, was baking. She's found a way to make edible foods out of specific metals and alloys, and lived a good long life married to her dear Usloss. He was unfortunately mugged and killed by a dickhole Marine trying to get paid for 'protection' five years ago. Muriel has spent the time since getting her affairs in order and planning out the rest of her life as a pirate on the high seas, in hope to fuck up corrupt Marines everywhere as vengeance as well as give the world one last go on her own terms.

>Fruit: None
>Weapon: Steel Donuts (set of 12)/Baguette Basher
>Job: Chef/Blacksmith
>Strengths: Good with metals and ores, can help keep weapons and armors in good condition
>Can create various food-based weaponry and can switch between short and long range depending on what she's baked today
>Sweet as a peach if you aren't in a Marine uniform
>Faults: Slow and frail
>Likes to cause trouble with Marines more than usual pirates do
>Possibly senile
>Dream: Live a second life her Usloss would be proud of/Leave behind her work for the next generation

Without a specific system in mind she isn't really statted, but you get the idea.
i miss my grandma

Barossa, former bandit whose gang would dress up as missionaries in order to surprise people and rob them. One day they actually caught a priest who they decided to keep as a prisoner. Barossa and the priest became close friends, despite the nature of their relationship and their backgrounds. Eventually a militia rose up to against the bandits. Realizing they knew of a hostage but not what he looked like, the priest claimed he was one of the bandits while his friend was actually the hostage. Shocked by the priest's statements and paralyzed by fear, Barossa could only watch as his friend was hanged in front of him.
Barossa vowed to continue is friends work by spreading the word of god as a preacher. While his intentions are pure, he still engages in a lot of smoking, drinking, and the like.
Dream is to become a famous or infamous enough to spread the Word of God on a massive scale.

I only have companion NPCs.

Guto, the chef.
He has two loves: cooking and shooting guns. He got fired from his last job for scaring the customers, and he'll go anywhere that let's him cook and shoot guns at the same time. He insists the gunshots make the food taste better.

>Kongo- A lover of the sea and the things that float upon it. Growing up in the shipyard town of Grease Lane, he was around ships his whole life, and growing up under a shipwright father, he learned to love boats in every aspect. He grew up learning how to navigate and sail ships, rather than building them like his father. However, tragedy struck on his first voyage, while sailing with his father to another port, a band of pirates appeared, mistaking the ship for a merchant vessel, and attacked. Despite his skill with navigating a ship, Kongo lacked knowledge of naval combat, and was quickly overpowered by the experienced pirates. The pirates left once they realized their mistake, but the damage had been done, the ship was destroyed, and Kongo's father had been lost to the sea. Since that day, Kongo has devoted himself to mastering the complex art of sailing and naval combat, his dream being to become the greatest navigator on the sea, unbeatable no matter the odds, and able to defeat any ship he comes up against.
>Kongo was gifted with a large, sturdy body, and makes use of that should a fight ever arise that he must see to personally. His preferred method of fighting is using a large anchor on a chain.

Make more female characters!

"Stowaway" Cheshire.
A teenage runaway that hopes to be the greatest "Daredevil Stowaway" in the world. She claims to have successfully stowed away on twelve ships, including one life boat. Has a bad habit of announcing her presence after successfully stowing away, and handing out signed photographs of herself.

She is inhumanly flexible, capable of contorting herself into almost any crawl space, vent, or porthole. She fights with her self-taught "Stowaway Kenpo", using devastating palm strikes, drop kicks, and ambushes from hiding spots. She is a master of stealth, but only while indoors, and becomes significantly weaker when surrounded by nature. She also taught herself to see perfectly in the dark, but which requires her to wear huge sunglasses when exposed to light.

>Rudol Sinclair
>Rudol was orphaned at a young age when he lost his family to a terrible storm that ravage the small island he lived on, and would have likely died on his own if it weren't for a passing pirate crew that tended to his wounds and nursed him back to health. The young Rudol soon came to see the crew as his new family, as they sailed the seas in search for adventure, always making stops to lend a hand to those in need, he saw pirates as heroes. Under the tutelage of the captain and first mate, Rudol learned the skills of a swordsman, and the meaning of being a pirate on this great sea, but those days of joy would not go on forever, as one day the crew unluckily ran into a fleet of marines. The pirates were able to keep ahead of the marines just long enough to drop Rudol off, against his will, onto a nearby island, and made their escape, only to be ambushed by the marines and completely destroyed in battle. After that day, Rudol decided to live, shouldering his second families ambitions and dreams, to become heroes of the sea and protect those in need.
>Rudol was a natural with a sword growing up, and learned everything the captain and his firstmate could teach about swordsmanship, and soon Rudol surpassed them even as a young boy. Though he doesn't possess a lot of power behind his swings, Rudol is incredibly fast, on both foot and blade, and combining fast acrobatic actions with swordplay he can strike like a storm

>anything that occurs naturally in the world without any influence of human hands can be a logia.
When was it confirmed that Logia cannot be man made substances?

Logia's literal meaning is "Nature System" and every canon logia has been a natural element or force of nature.

Okay but that's completely fucking irrelevant to the question I asked. Has it been canonized or are people just making assumptions and citing speculation as fact?

It's name is literally Nature System, what more confirmation do you need?

Katakuri's fruit was retconned as a Paramecia, where as before it would have been the only Logia conscisting of a man-made substance

All transformation DFs that turn you into artificial substances have been Paramecia, all natural ones have been Logia

Just as a brief glance over this thread...seems like a lot of wishful thinking right now guys. Where's the crunch?

An actual one.

Sorry, took me a while.
pastebin.com/gY5w7qSY

This is One Piece D6 v0.1
It is nowhere near playable and it's missing the Devil fruit/Fighting Style process, but it should give you guys something to tide tou over till friday, which is most likely when I will have the rest of character creation done.

Sorry for shit formating and feedback is welcome

Are you the same kind of person who argues that inanimate objects can be infused with Paramecia and Logias since theres no real confirmation that it's only Zoans? Do you really need Oda to spoon feed you confirmations when the evidence is clear?

Decided to get a trip, should make things easier

So it hasn't been confirmed, got it.

In this case, I would say the absence of evidence IS evidence of absence. If you want a man-made Logia, just call it a Special Paramecia.

Bruno from jojo?

D6s are an...interesting choice. There are a lot of little details you have that I was thinking should be in, just maybe utilized somewhat differently. I especially dig the idea of burning will, I was just considering it more of an exhaust mechanic to use particularly powerful abilities.

So all rolls are governed by 5 stats essentially? Well, six if you want to count the specialty. If I want to roll to hit I just do what, roll Agility to see if I succeed? No corresponding trait or sub attribute tied to it?

So a person known as a martial artist attacking with their fists, versus that same person picking up a sword (which they have never held before) would both roll that one same stat for their attack roll? I mean I assume you could place an urgency difficulty increase on their sword roll since they aren't used to it but that is a lot of added busy work on behalf of the GM - why not have a sub-trait system that governs different types of attacks, dodges, etc to add to the Stat pool?

In this case, the Martial artist would roll Agility + Martial Arts in the first case and Agility + Melee (or whatever you'd call it) in the second, with the first having a naturally better chance to hit since it would be the more developed sub-trait. It would also allow more specialties in defense - a sub-trait for Dodging and one for Parrying (the former being utilized against thrown or projectiles while the latter could be used for standard melee). Just a thought.

Regardless thanks for putting in the work! I half expected this to peter out and we never hear of it again.

Tulips "Deathwish" James

A pirate from south blue in his late thirties "Dethwish" is known for being batshit insane. A con artist, compulsive liar, and a cheat he manipulates people through fear and daring. Explosives, poisons, traps, and threats from hidden allies are usually the bases for these, and rarely are any of them even true.

When James gets into situations he can't bullshit his way through he happens to be an accomplished grappler, an expert in several of martial arts. He tends to play things up with flare even when resorting to physical force.

Thanks for your input, it means a lot!

Could you expand on what kind of little details you meant? And any others you think should be present? In regards to the more powerful abilities, I was thinking of having Will and Body make up another stat that serves as a pool to use your more powerful abilities.

You kinda hit the nail on the head in regards to the combat system. I'm still writing it down, but come the Fighting Style/Devil Fruit section that is what I'm aiming for. You will have another set of stats that will be rolled alongside your regular dice to increase the likelihood of success.

Glad to see we finally have some product out.

Snakenecks aren't on the paste in races; what kind of bonuses would they have?