If vampires don't show up in photos, can a robot with cameras for eyes see them? Do vampires show up on video?

If vampires don't show up in photos, can a robot with cameras for eyes see them? Do vampires show up on video?

Depends. Why do vampires not show up in photos?

Because spooky

I always assumed it had something to do with the ‘cameras capture your soul’ myth. And what with vampires being undead soulless assholes...

I think I read it here, but some user mentioned that vampires might not have reflections in mirrors because of the silver content.

Nowadays, I don't think silver is used as much, so they might appear.

Supposedly it started back when camera film used silver salts, since silver is anathema to vamps their image does not show on the developed film, but a lot of modern media (Being Human springs to mind) show vampires not showing up on digital cameras too including CCTV.

In these cases it's pretty rough. "Because spooky" generally implies it's up to whatever is spookier. "Because souls" doesn't explain why photos can't pick up a vampire's physical body, clothing, etc, though if the body is somehow not a physical thing and is merely an impression on the mind by some psychic force we know of as a vampire it could explain that, in which case we'd have vampires being invisible to robots unless they were psychically aware on the same level as living things.

If it was the silver, robots and modern cameras would have no issue.

>silver halide in camera film
>CRT video cameras and CCDs do not contain silver
Mystery solved, vamps only show up on digital camera.

Depends how the robot in question sees. Presumably the vampire still has mass and shows up on sensors that detect solid surfaces. I think any sensor that uses silver in it's reception for whatever reason would have a hard time picking them up if at all. Of course, if you had a system that could pick up where a vampire isn't, that would be acceptable as a sensor on its own.

WoD agrees with that conclusion

Magic and supernatural shit almost never takes into account shit like clothes.

Because it's not real. It was all made up by some terrified asshole in Europe's forests three thousand years ago.

What about cameras being able to see ghosts that are invisible to the naked eye? What's the usual explanation?

What about a sound? Shadow? Infrared?

sonar works
infrared doesn't
shadow depends on setting / lore

Then there's Moonlight where a vampire laments that with modern technology, they do show on CCTV and photo.

You are all idiots. Vampires don't appear in photos because because cameras use mirrors internally, and vampires do not cast reflections in mirrors.

A modern low end camera might get pictures of a vampire as their construction is pretty shitty and they might not have mirrors inside. A DSLR camera on the other hand still uses a mirror inside and would not be able to capture a vampire's image.

Well, if you have a light source and a shadow, you can roughly determine the range of the possible positions of an "invisible" object.
Add echolocation, and you can be rather precise.
And what about the inanimate objects, like clothes? If they're invisible as well, then it would mean that any relatively small inanimate object would disappear when Vampire touches it and reappear when the contact is broken.

Damn, I never knew that. Thanks, user.

You're the idiot. Vampires don't cast reflections in mirrors because mirrors were lined with silver back in the day. Now that aluminum has replaced silver in that role, cameras with mirrors would be able to take pictures of vampires.

Why would silver not be able to cast a reflection of a vampire? If it's one of the only materials that can kill one, why wouldn't it be able to reflect the light from one?

Silver has always been associated with purity, so evil things are banished by it or can't taint or whatever

Why would a person be able to return to life from being dead? Literally the colloquial definition of death is not coming back to life.

>cameras use mirrors internally
Not for taking pics, no.
>getting its basic facts wrong and calling people idiots as his starting phrase.
you sure you haven't forgotten your trip here?

Besides, it only switches the question to "why do vampires not show up in mirrors?"

IR would work if the vampire is a different temp than the environment, no?

Camera mirrors swing out of the way when taking photos, though. Vamps wouldn’t show up in the viewer sighty bit because there are mirrors to get the light there, but would show up in the real photo.

>You are all idiots.
>I'm going to get some basic facts wrong and then insult everyone for now knowing how a fictional creature defies the laws of physics.

depends on the setting

>Do vampires show up on video?
Depends on the setting.

>If vampires don't show up in photos, can a robot with cameras for eyes see them?
Logically, no. I'm pretty sure I've seen movies where they don't show up on surveillance cameras, so yeah, same thing.

>You are all idiots.
>You're the idiot.

Vampires cast no reflections or shadows because light passes through their bodies. If you put a vampire between yourself and a lit candle you will see the flame through them. Since cameras operate on light, the same problem happens.

This is also why they burn to ashes in sunlight; it literally assaults every single cell in their bodies causing instant obliteration.

>Vampires cast no reflections or shadows because light passes through their bodies.
They'd be invisible then

Light passing through their bodies would make them both invisible and unable to be affected by sunlight.

Yall niggas need to learn what parts of the body are lifeless.

That isn't very coherent. Where does that translucent bit comes from, anyways?

I think that people seing vampire than don't appear on mirrors and stuff should be the result of a magical reconstruction (i.e the eyes or brain have some mystical quality and see something that isn't really there). So I guess a robot could see them, if the brain is the mystical bit and if a CPU is considered to be a valid seat for a soul-thingie.
If it's inherent to the eyes, bots are fucked, as are cyborgs.
How does Shadowrun and other cyberpunk fantasies deal with this, btw?

I thought that vampires don't show in mirrors or photos because there was a very old belief that mirrors reflect your soul, which vamps do not have.

That has literally nothing to do with

9/10 times it's silver, when the vampire in the mirrors they often used silver lined mirrors

>I think that people seing vampire than don't appear on mirrors and stuff should be the result of a magical reconstruction (i.e the eyes or brain have some mystical quality and see something that isn't really there)

I guess, although that sounds sort of weird to me. Like, they physically ARE there, they can interact with things, so I would think whatever is causing them not to reflect in a mirror would be something different about the mirror, not that there is something different about your eyes.

The whole concept of things not showing up in a mirror is retarded, anyway. It's one of those myths that I'm sure seemed reasonable and spooky two hundred years ago, but is largely just silly now.