HFY plus Veeky Forums

Tell me about the early history of humanity from the 1st to 21st centuries from any given xenos' (original or from an existing franchise) perspectives and then give your xenos' view on how this has influenced human policies on the galactic stage.

TL:DR You are an xenohistorian of any given species studying the early history of humanity and using this to explain human behaviour in the spacefaring stage.

Probably best to start off with an example to give more inspiration. Many of us aren't very creative.

>TL:DR You are an xenohistorian of any given species studying the early history of humanity and using this to explain human behaviour in the spacefaring stage.

I had this exact assignment in my sociology classes just about twenty years ago.

>Ha! They didn't nuke themselves back to the Stone Age even once! No wonder they love garden worlds so much, can't even stand a bit of hellish radiation!

Go home Wrex, you're drunk

I happen to have several HFYs that fit this topic perfectly.

This one's only tangentially related, but I like it so fuck you I'm posting it

This one also

And also this one

This is the one I was looking for. This one fits OP's theme perfectly.

One more, for good measure

That's basically everything I have that fits even slightly with OP's theme

Somone post the one with far future doctors without borders that ailens call "healers unstoppable"

closest thing I've got

>wow, these guys sure did a lot of murdering.

While I think its somewhat unlikely to unify all humanity by such events occurring, this is the kind of story I love.

I can definitely imagine a certain unity developing among humans, following the proper introduction to benevolent aliens. Its one of the things I would love to see, above all else, before I die.

That, and its a nice twist from the usual HFY where humans kick everyones ass just because.

I really like this one the most.

Mostly harmless.

every time i see this i think of beastwars.

Fuck it, Imma post some HFY. Threads up, might as well keep it bumped.

Just give it a few years.

I'm sure we'll be fine

>4 million years
>enough time for the entirety of earth to have changed its continents shape
>enough time for life to have a) been completely annhialated and then b) evolve from "primordial muck" again
This guy needs to figure out what a reasonable bloody timescale is.

He probably meant to write billion. It's an easy mistake to make.

Honestly, that scenario seems fucking horrible.

there's nothing to indicate life was anihilated in between in that story.

this species is clearly evolved from octopi/squids, and humanity has just disappeared or abandoned earth in the mean time. Its not to far fetched.

This one needs closure.

AGGLOMERATOR RECORD [HASHING-GLYPH], Musings Upon Humanity by [Orange Sunset], English translation.

It bears mentioning that the multifarious races of our galaxy may owe a tremendous debt to the apocryphal Humans mentioned in the accounts of [Branches-under-Meadows] and [Sixteen Neutrons Only] regarding the early days of Our Collective. Difficult though it may be to imagine today, there was a time when the First Ones did not interact meaningfully their environment at all, and would have gladly continued in such a fashion were it not for the infinitely curious and disarmingly egotistical Human space travelers. Instead of regarding the First Ones as an unruly cancer, the Humans (thanks to an unusual quirk of their psychology attested to by [Sixteen Neutrons Only]) immediately interpreted the First Ones' behavior in terms of their own. The First Ones' insatiable hunger for matter was understood as economic activity; their adaptive, aggressive strikes understood as a warrior culture; their outward lack of communication a sign of desperation for victory. Imagine then the strangeness of the Human mind that compelled them to capture and attempt to interrogate the central node of a Hive, undoubtedly sacrificing terribly to do so (as individual Humans were themselves all autonomous and conscious units). Further still, imagine the peculiar programming of Human development that inspired their great thinkers to introduce *new* programming, of Human design, into that Hive, to allow it to articulate its vast data trove in such a way that the Humans could understand and use. [Branches-under-Meadows] attests that it is by way of the First Ones, so reprogrammed, that the Builders first encountered the power of Language (the protocol with which one autonomous, conscious individual may transmit thoughts to another), and Gift (the provisioning of information or matter, often as valuable to the recipient as the donor, without expectation of recompense, in-kind or otherwise).

Not to mention the flag on the moon turned white in only like 40 years.

Humans appear to be deeply paradoxical, if one doesn’t understand the human mindset. The problem is, most beings don’t understand the human mindset, including the vast majority of humans themselves (not consciously anyway).

Humans are irrational and violent, and far more talented at destruction than at any other endeavour. And yet, humans hate violence and destruction, and seek peace and reason. Some humans might find nobility in war, but always for some nobler cause; violence against a hated enemy leading to peace, or warfare hastening technological development. Humans are violent, and they are peaceful: both these facts are true, but how can that be if they are opposites?

The answer is that, for a human, peace and conflict are not opposites; calmness and fury are not mutually exclusive. For a human, violence and living life are exactly the same.

1/2

Allow me to clarify. Humans are weak and frail, by their nature. They’ve succeeded in life through tools, and the only talents they have that are innately their own are their endurance and their wit. This means that a human’s short life is defined by hardship that must be endured rather than overcome, and challenges that don’t have an easy answer. For a human, everything that makes one good at killing is also a transferable skill for the most basic act of existence.

Life and combat are one and the same for humans, and just as they go above and beyond in their warfare, humans exist with more than just the minimum effort required. They survive, and then they go further. They acknowledge that the world is dark and cold and uncaring, and then they fight tooth and nail to make it a better place. They fill it with comfort and knowledge and art, without even acknowledging the great communal world-fixing endeavour they’re taking part in.

That is why Bobby Fischer plays chess with the intensity of a stalking predator. That is why Mahatma Gandhi demonstrates peacefully with the temerity of a war hero. That is why Michelangelo makes beauty beyond wonder with the air of a jaded veteran. That is why human beings love and hate with the same heart.

2/2

I'd almost forgotten how shit HFY is.
It's like notRacism mixed with saccharine platitudes, and a nice dash of pseudo-science and ahistorical bullshit.

I've got one or two that's blatant racism, if veiled racism isn't your thing.