What kind of weapons/technology do you feel gets under represented?

What kind of weapons/technology do you feel gets under represented?

I think air rifles and other pneumatic weapons need more love. Especially in post apocalypse settings

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle
money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/news/kalashnikov-made-in-usa/index.html
foxnews.com/us/2016/01/28/russias-iconic-ak-47-to-be-made-in-usa.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pneumatic weapons are great and you can include them in pre-modern settings if you want to have guns without the gun powder.

>wanting to shoot BBs at people trying to kill you
The only reason I'd want those is if they were being shot at me

Personally I think stuff like pope guns and makeshift weaponry is over looked. There are so many shows where all the people have clean fully-functioning guns everywhere they go. Just doesn't feel right after 50 years of apocalypse or whatever

>he only knows air guns from his airsoft tournaments
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

I would think that big bore air rifles would be a thing in the post apocalypse

>pope guns

>Pope

Fucking sold.

Perfect for killing the heretics and reclaiming Jerusalem from the Saracens

Bbs are scary when they are .50 cal slugs

Those sort of guns are actually quite complicated to make and maintain, more so than typical firearms, hence why they didn't caught on when they were as if not more powerful than the muzzleloaders of their time.
In a post-apocalyptic setting, such complicated weapons are unlikely to resurface.

Would lack of gunpowder be reasonable?

Nukes.

Stop making me want to play Metro again

No

Jetpacks.

Be reasonable for the apparition of high-powered airguns? Still unlikely considering the airgun is still quite complicated to maintain, takes a long amount of time to reload the air canister, minimal damage can make the weapon dangerous or simply unable to function. The quality of the manufacture as to be much higher for it to perform well, hence why the girandoni didn't replace their firearms.

In the absence of gunpowder, bows and crossbows, even sling assisted javelins are more likely to be used and overall more practical than large bore airguns.

>I think air rifles and other pneumatic weapons need more love

Are you me?

Airguns were popular sporting weapons from the 17th century, and the later Girandoni saw, like, 30 years of military service. Lewis and Clark took one on their expedition and used it, too. Conan Doyle had someone try to assassinate Holmes with one.

Andre Norton's Witch World books include a dart-gun as a ubiquitous weapon used by anyone who wanted to.

Mechanical or light-based signal systems.

I've always wanted to include a mechanical signal network in one of my games.

Oh yeah, because functional guns (which outnumber people in the USA) just naturally disintegrate after a couple decades and cannot be repaired or cleaned in any way. Everyone should be living in filthy shanty towns with skeletons and scrap metal laying about as well.

Fallout 4 is such a retarded game. Bethesda's writers should be lynched.

Nigger, people are hunting big game with air rifles. Step out of your softair world.

Honestly? Nah. Air guns take three components, a pressure vessel, a valve, and a barrel. In an apoc setting, the only piece that requires much precision is the valve, and you can 100% use a spring-actuated ball valve salvaged from someone's plumbing.

>Especially in post apocalypse settings
Making black powder is a lot easier than people think. No gunpowder setting are always contrived bullshit

>Airguns were popular sporting weapons
Sporting weapons yeah for sure, but the original scenario is post-apo shall I remind you.
The Girandoni was most certainly a superb technological marvel, but as we saw it was also a dead end, they tried it, found it great but impractical and stopped using them when the original weapons started to become unusuable. Just like for instance the russian AN-94, it was too complex for its good and in a post-apo setting, that's not a fantastic idea to have an overly complex weapon, no matter how powerful it is.

Not that they are bad weapons, on the contrary, just that they don't adapt to all the contexts so well.

He's not you, but I might be.

I imagine the biggest bottleneck to maintaining traditional firearms would be manufacturing primers, just because it's generally not widespread knowledge.

Teleportation.
It's appalling how much of Star Trek as a whole could have been solved by beaming explosives onto enemy vessels. It was contrived, but I adored how Benedict Ham'n'eggs beamed the bridge crew onto his ship in the new Wrath of Khan. You'd think stealing a ship's captain and/or bridge crew would be the FIRST line of thinking with such technology.

I was under the impression that most ships had countermeasures in place to stop exactly that. Is that not true?

I've only watched the shows, so I'm no expert, but I think it's the shields that block the teleporter, which always end up shutdown within the first 2 minutes of a space battle.

Standard shields block teleportation. That's why a single Borg cube was able to fuck up the entire Federation starfleet, because their tech just didn't give a fuck about Federation shields.

It's the shields that block the teleporter. Enemies having to hammer down the shields in order to teleport boarders aboard has actually come up a number of times in the various Star Trek franchises.
A prominent example is the beginning of the fourth season of Deep Space Nine, when the Klingons attack the station. They did exactly this, but were repelled by the station crew.

Remember that they were making primers out of mercury fulminate in the mid 1800s. Not something your everyman can do, but not too complicated by any stretch of the imagination.

The reason they stopped is because it has a fairly short shelf life and weakened the brass case. I can shoot ammo that’s 50-100 years old no problem. I have some .303 that’s from 1917. I think mercury fulminate primers had a shelf life of less than a decade.

With high pressurized gas which would require heavy and difficult equipment to replenish and would be not mobile. It is unrealistic to have a constantly lethal air gun powered by muscle. Yes I know of preindustrial air guns but you will notice people like Lewis and Clark who used them also had plenty of regular firearms that they used far more. Not saying its not a neat idea but something as effective as the Tihkar would not be realistic. Not to mention even pointed air rifle projectiles are not going to have the penetration of a rifle. Could you use an air rifle to replace hunting guns? Yes. Could it replace a combat rifle? No. You loose too much speed and lethality. And with the millions of rounds made, we will have plenty of bullets to kill each other with until someone can make primers again.

So basically you just repeat bulletpoints
And fail to pair them with a hard hitting well constructed argument
Poorly done, sir.

I mean, even if smokeless powder needed for modern firearms was unavailable, making black powder is very simple provided you can get sulphur(which shouldn't be too hard, either).

I hope you realize even big bore air rifles have at maximum the power equivalent to .357 magnum, a pistol cartridge. Sufficient for hunting? Yeah, people hunt with .357 as well. But bringing a pistol caliber rifle with about 10 or 15 shots and decreasing power each shot isn’t the best idea.

>Fallout 4 is bad meme

If you try to engage with it as though it were a crpg, you're going to have a bad time. You need to drop your shitty pretensions and engage with Fallout 4 as it is, an action game with rpg elements, to really enjoy it.

Enormously popular stuff can still be shit, and the main questline is dumb, but there are a lot of interesting side-stories in the game. They are great at environmental storytelling, leaving good story nuggets for those who choose to explore. It has huge mechanical and technical improvements over Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and it's a fun sandbox.

They definitely mildly retconned a bunch of lore, including with power armor, which is mildly annoying, but only hardcore purity autists trash the game because of small retcons. It is a fun game with pretty decent production values, I'd even say that it is good. It just isn't a great Fallout game, merely passable.

Get over yourself.

The argument is that airguns are lacking as combat weapons when compared to even relatively simplistic and relativity modern weapons. Someone didn't take a Junior High composition class to learn how to infer. I'm sorry I didn't put my Mandarin graffiti guild argument into MLA format for you.

Pocket pistols, varied calibers, smaller pistols, etc.

It wasn't a dead end; firearms technology was just cheaper and advanced more quickly.

It wasn't a technological dead end but more of a practical one. There was no way that airguns could suddenly compete with firearms for the regular armies at least.
Airguns do have their niche, but it's not in the army.

There’s also the fact that you don’t have to lug around a big ass canister of compressed air, or a pump. All you needed was a flask of black powder.

I'm more or less convinced nobody makes AK47s anymore.

All those AKs you see in apocalyptic and sci fi settings are the same ones built during the cold war.

Wat.

I'm genuinely curious, was that a mistype or is there a real thing called or nicknamed a Pope gun?

At this point nothing in reality could live up to any of the nine explanations I've come up with in the time it took me to write this, but I'm still curious.

>I'm more or less convinced nobody makes AK47s anymore.
AK-47 nope but AK-74 are still produced for instance, M-16 pattern weapons are obviously still produced as well.

Check your keyboard, the most likely thing is that it was meant to be "pipe gun".

The atlatl.

We need more sling rifles. Hell let them be the most basic range weapon.

More elastic weapons

A hunting sling shot with a good wrist support can easily kill a person

>chick lean

Are these superior to crossbows, or no?

Depends on a lot of things. What kind of crossbow to what kind of slingshot rifles you want compared to?

Some American companies still make AK47s.

I'm going to be extremely pedantic but they are probably AKM, regardless, the AK-line of rifles is absolutely still in production and whatever the russian army will adopt next is apparently guaranteed to be some sort of upgrade on the ak-pattern and not really a fully new weapon.

that's because they literally just got the license to make ak47s here in the united states you ding dong

>license
What? You mean like business license to make firearms in general? Because it’s not like anyone was cutting a check to Kalashnikov every time they made an AK.

yes, because the AK47 is still owned as intellectual property. And yes, he did get a check, in the form of medals, Now his children have an actual company that make the new AK's. Did you not know this?

money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/news/kalashnikov-made-in-usa/index.html

foxnews.com/us/2016/01/28/russias-iconic-ak-47-to-be-made-in-usa.html

for example

>fallout 4

Every fallout game (bar 1 and 2 but only sort of) has the exact same shit. It's not supposed to be realistic you dipshit, it's thematic.

You realize Kalshnikov USA has literally nothing to do with Russian companies right? Also, anyone can make an AK pattern rifle and pay no royalty fees. It was never patented—communists remember?—and even if it was patented those would have expired decades ago.