EDH/Commander General

Bigass Dinos edition

Previously: >Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Got any plans to run the upcoming commanders?

Other urls found in this thread:

magidex.com/search?q=c=gb cmc=4 t:creature
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Translation:
>Tetzimoc, Death Primordial
>Legendary Creature - Elder Dinosaur
>Deathtouch

>B, Reveal Tetzimoc, Death Primordial from your hand: Put a "Prey" counter on target creature. Only activate this ability during your turn.

>When Tetzimoc, Death Primordial enters the battlefield, destroy all creatures with a "Prey" counter on them.

This is perfect for my Korlash mana bomb deck.

>Thread question
You mean between Ghalta and Tetzimoc, who does nothing in tgr command zone?
I thought about Ghalta but just made kermit instead

Translation needed

>players can't activate planeswalker's abilities
>Draw an additional card during your draw step
>Spells you cast cost 1 less to cast
>Creatures you control get +1/+1

The immortal sun
The players can activate loyal habilities from planeswalkers

You draw an additional card at the begining of the draw step?

Sorceries you cast cost 1 less

Creatures under your control get +1/+1

players can't activate loyalty abilities
you draw an additional card
+1/+1 anthem on ur dudes
1 generic reduction on your spells

This will be the only anthem effect I put into my Locust God deck. I love it.

>Planeswalkers get BTFO
>Other good shit
It's only fringe playable but it'll be entirely worth it when you hose the occasional planeswalker. Tutoring up a needle with trinket mage feels awful imo

I'm going to order like eight of these fuckers, but at the same time, am I the only one a little pissed off about the design?

>Finally get a direct PW hate card
>except it's not
>It's a value engine at a decent cost, but all those stapled-on abilities cost mana and it's on an artifact with no protection rather than, say, an enchant
>Only about half of these effects will ever matter at one time

>It's legendary so you can't even stack it against spot removal

Like, fucking hell, is it too much to ask for like... at least a half-decent anti-PW suite? Give me effects that tax opponents mana for using loyalty abilities. Give me effects that make PWs cost more. Give me effects that tick down all planeswalkers either gradually. Give me effects that mirror what I can do to creatures. Give me a card that says "Destroy all Planeswalkers" for 3WW.

>Tax mana of Plainswalkers

Anyway, I'll put it in my Karn deck which means I can take out Karn Liberated and Ugin to put in more interesting cards.

I'm trying to think of different deck ideas other than my usual voltron/swarm/big trample bastards style and I came across this guy.

Is a discard-themed deck scummy at all? I don't want to be hated out, just trying to play/win a different way

Discard is hard to make work. You've either got to stick a Spirit of the Labyrint/Notion Thief and wheel, or get out Nath and a Sadistic Hypnotist. With a 4 man pod there are just too many cards to chew through normally.

build Grenzo Doomsday with the Murderous Redcap loop as the prime wincon

>Tfw my friend just paid out the ass to make a superfriends deck
>this gets released

I'm almost upset for him

Mirri Voltron. She's the duelist, give her swords.

6 mana to eat a Naturalize and fucking die because nobody is letting you go off with extra cards and mana. The PW hate is not the reason why somebody is going to remove this.

Mirri "Go Wide" Tokens or Nazahn Voltron?

Or both?

Nahiri can go in a Nazahn build. Nazahn can’t fit into a Nahiri build unless you start shifting the theme to an equipment deck.

It can be, if any player is running superfriends, getting rid of that is their top priority.

Mirri doesn't have good synergy with tokens. I mean tokens don't give shit if there's one blocker or seven, because you're going through for lethal anyway.

>friend builds Scarab god, all jazzed about it
>can't stop hyping up his deck
>game day over the weekend
>Seton vs Beetleorg
>T2 Ground Seal and fuck him over for the rest of the game
>guns for me the rest of the night

So, I decided to resurrect my old Marchesa deck, but I don't know what to change, and the fact, despite the occasional upgrade, it's years that I don't play it doesn't help, and it was aimed at multiplayer games

I know I must put Thraximundar in it, maybe instead of Ob Nixilis.
I own Goblin Bombardment but I don't think that "another" sacrifice a creature it's necessary

What do you think?

>more forced dino shit
Dinosaurs will never ever be good wizards stop forcing tribal cancer into edh

>potentially nifty black monster
>nothing too crazy
>not pushed in any real way
whats your issue?

>has fucking nothing to do with Dino synergy and is off-color for the tribe

2/10 see me after class

>not going the most Patrician Route

>reveal wrath of god dino in your hand
He's shit. If I'm balls deep in mono black, there's better commanders, better boardwipes and I can just tutor that shit.
>mono black
>zero synergy with the rest of the naya tribe

>b-but muh nifty potential
>it's a dino!

No!"
The powerlevel is dreadful; the tribe was terrible. As I read the spoilers and leaks, I noticed that every time a dinosaur popped up, it was a gigantic timmy-saur that cost 2 mana too much.

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time a dinosaur was overcosted. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. WOTC's r&d is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that they have no other style of cardmaking. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Ixalan development by the same Mark Rosewater. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are playing dinos at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to play Standard." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play dinosaurs you are, in fact, trained to play Standard.

>I began marking on the back of an envelope every time a dinosaur was overcosted. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. WOTC's r&d is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that they have no other style of cardmaking. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Ixalan development by the same Mark Rosewater. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are playing dinos at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to play Standard." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you play dinosaurs you are, in fact, trained to play Standard.

Your pasta is showing

>when one user's shitpost is mistaken as your own

Is that a current pic of Brendan Fraser? Dude's starting to look like a Simpsons character

Who /xenagod/ here?
Any secret spice?

Big dudes with trample.

Playing him (both copies) in a better R/G deck, like based Radha or Ruric Thar.

>friend has been meticulously crafting grixis planeswalker / spellslinger deck
>stomping most people in play group
rip him.

Pleb.

Deus of Calamity, Avatar of the Slaughter, Elvish Piper, Brawn, Giant Adephage, rancor, and putrefax.

Fuck my mana curve and possibly wallet.

I like running Mirri in the 99 of Nazahn. In fact my Nazahn deck is pretty focused on having both Mirri and Arabho out along aside. The ability for Nazahn to tap out their best blocker (even more so if I also throw another equipment on someone) combine with the one blocker they get from Mirri alongside buffing Nazahn with Arahbo's ability means he can easily hit for commander damage on one swing. It also allows me to keep the deck cat themed even though I removed almost all the cats.

how fun is rashmi? i dk how i feel about her since she needs to be in play and just goes off on your first spell each turn
and she costs 4 mana and is a fairly weak body

It's too expensive to be a staple for all decks, but it can be really useful. Faster decks and cEDH decks won't have a place for it, but it might be pretty useful slower midrange/control ones, especially if they run a lot of creatures

I just fucking realised it means I have a colorless banner so all my lands stop dying to Karn + Lattice, which alone justifies it in my meta. It isn't even a single guy doing it. Every colorless player besides me runs it around here.

>banner
DragoBorne?

Has anyone else been watching Rudy's recent opening videos? It's quite a laugh, he keeps on complaining about getting multiples of the same rares for some reason even though he's been getting them fairly evenly. He will also freak out over sub-$10 cards but then complain when he opens a Kamigawa dragon or literally any Praetor. It's like he knows literally nothing about the set, yet he thinks he has the authority to tell us why Iconic Masters is shit beyond Wizards printing so much that it screws over scum like him.

I don't click his shit, all I heard about him through various MtG threads here, he sounds like a shithead, so I'm glad if he gets rectally ravaged.
I think he also shit on other card games because he couldn't """"""invest"""""""" well in them.

Did anyone ever make an edit of this but the "I'm sad" bit is Karn?

I think it's a fun card, but don't really like the fluff. Should have been a pterosaur or demon/archeopteryx, this just looks like some kind of pokemon. Also the flavor doesn't match the card text - if it was a demon or some mythical behemoth it could have been awesome.

In short: proof that good stats aren't the only thing that attracts players to a card. Feels like it has half the strengths of a card like Razaketh with none of the charm (emoticon)

Take this shit to one of the innumerable other threads about it. Not saying you don't have a point, but this here land is for EDH-related shitposting, not collector-related shitposting.

I like to put on his videos, mute them, than put on Hurt Feelings by Flight of the Conchords. If he were a wrestler it'd be his theme song.

>Some people say that investors don't play the game
>These are the tears of an investor

So much fun. So much. Especially with Mind's Dilation on the field.

oh nice tech

Call me crazy, but I’m fairly certain Wizards deliberately engineered this lack of hype over Iconic Masters to depress the price of packs down where they want it so it doesn’t get bought up en masse by people like Rudy, as was the case with MM1.

Iconic Masters is also subject to a much higher print run than expected, since you can get it at Target and WalMart and Meijers and the other big box stores like that, so there's that to consider.

Investors on suicide watch!

>tfw Mana Drain keeps dropping

Let’s hope they finally managed to sidestep investors, then. I’m fine with $120 average EV per box if I can get one for

how long will prices drop? horizon canopy has been stale on 25 eurodollaridoos for like 3 days
im thinking of buying one before they increase

It'll hold through the holidays but the Iconic Masters printing will never reach $200 like the Legends printing.

They’re beginning to stabilize already. I give it two weeks at most before we hit the floor. I already got the three good Praetors, might want to go ahead and grab your Dynamos and Swords.

i'll keep waiting and check prices then i guess. gonna draft one for roughly 25 bucks (europoor convertion), maybe i'll manage to pick something up

You've got about two weeks until prices are at their lowest. They'll float there for a few weeks, maybe a few months, then start the inexorable slow climb. Most cards will never reach their prior prices, but many will gain a lot still. Put together a list of what you want and pick it up now while you can for cheap. Praetors, O-Stone, Dynamo, that sorta stuff is all as cheap as it's gonna get.

yeah i'm probably gonna grab some staples in december

speaking of the praetors, which ones are worth it? i feel like i only want the WBG ones.

Red is good in certain decks.

do sacrifice effects happen sequentially? as in you choose the order of what creatures die?

ALL OF THEM

you arrange death triggers however you want if creatures die at the same time, if i got your question correct

Just picked up the 2017 wizard precon for fun, never built Grixis before. I think I'm going to go Wizard tribal initially, maybe try out Marchesa or Kess as well.
Which Grixis commander do you guys have the most fun with?

Well you may as well start with inalla, she has some interesting combos.
Bloodline Necormancer + Ashnod's Alter for example is infinite recursion, token copies with haste, and colorless mana.

Oh no its almost like superfriends isn't just black bant .dec with fogs, boardwipes and enchantment/artifact removal. Oh wait.

Tell your freind to git gud

ok!!

Honestly, basically all of them are good. Urabrask is the weakest, but he's hardly a slouch, he's just weak compared to his kin. In WUBRG order:

>Elesh Norn
A sizable anthem stapled to a double Night of Souls' Betrayal stapled to a decent body. She costs a lot, but damn you get your money's worth. Absolutely fantastic, part of multiple "fuck your land" combos, card's great.

>Jin-Gitiaxias
As expensive as the day is long but wow that effect. The body is nothing to write home about for the cost but we're here for the card advantage and it is *real*. The draw is excellent but the denial of everyone else's hand is the kicker. Often immediately ends games if he sticks, the CA is too hard to overcome. Gotta build with him in mind though, his cost is nothing to sneer at.

>Sheoldred
Honestly, not as powerful as she looks, mostly because to get full mileage you have to untap with her for the reanimate effect. Often, opponents will have fodder to sac to her, but sometimes you can just lock someone out with the effect which is pretty strong. An Abyss effect isn't anything to scoff at, after all. Reasonable body, again. Expensive but a frequent reanimation target and for good reason.

>Urabrask
A global haste effect and a Blind Obedience on a good sized body for a reasonable cost is just fine. He doesn't win any flashy or power awards, but if you need the effects he offers he's a great choice. I run him in a Radha deck and have never regretted it.

>Vorinclex
Man, this fucker. I've lost more games to Vorinclex than any of the rest, thanks to that land lockdown effect. It's pretty easy to ramp him out and then you have an asymmetric mana flare combined with a lockdown on enemy lands which is brutal as fuck. He's very strong and if you want the mana flare you're in for a good time.

If I had to rank them, it'd be U>W=G>B>R. Elesh Norn and Vorinclex are very good but Jin just randomly insta-wins the game. Sheoldred is good but not as good and Urabrask is only solid.

W and U are the most valued in terms of playability, but they all function exceptionally well in their respective colors.

Marchesa could almost be my favorite deck. Best thing is she shares more than a few parts with Inalla if you want to go competitive.

>Jin-Gitaxis
>Better than Urabrask

I respectfully disagree.

The real thing about JinJan is that he's best in a UBx deck. Entomb+Reanimating him is a recipe for instant salt.

Accurate assessment, well done.

Urabrask is the "weakest" praetor, but by fuck's almighty he's still strong because he slows your opponents down. Sticking him t3 is usually a game ender even if the rest of your deck is durdly bullshit.

I have never EVER seen anyone actually use Sheroldred, and I run the stupid thing. It just eats removal the second it hits. Jin-Jan Augur Man can usually stick with flash, elesh norn instantly fucks everything, but Sheroldred is too big of a target to ignore most of the time.

that's why i want vorinclex. he's strong and i should be able to get him out on turn 4 pretty easily.

Anybody had any experience playing The Scorpion God as a commander? Tempted to build it but not sure it'll be any fun

>Vorinclex
>anywhere near as good as Elesh Norn
user, are you on crazy pills? The thing about Vorinclex is that by the time you have all the mana to cast him, you don't really need any more mana to cast him. Someone will StP or Path him almost instantly, and sure their one land wont untap, but it'll hardly be worth it for the dude casting him, unless he's reanimating him very early.

Is Sheoldred any good in Hapatra?

Yes.
It's not very good.

Is there any website that can help me find decks that would fit a commanders deck by CMC.

I need some 4 drops for my Meren deck but theres really only Solemn Simulacrum and Jarad

cards that would fit a commander's deck*, sorry

If he can't answer a 6-drop artifact in seven different ways not involving planeswalkers, he built a bad deck anyway.

From what I've heard, Hepatra Vizier of Poisons is a much better -1/-1 centric commander.

you can always do something like this
magidex.com/search?q=c=gb cmc=4 t:creature

edhrec could help

i believe both scryfall and magiccards.info let you search by cmc and color identity

I'm tempted to build a tri color prison deck, with stuff like Thalia and Urabask, is UWR good, or RWB? Along with creaturespells coming in instead of relying too much on noncreature spells (Spell Queller, Reflector Mage) or is that too gimmicky and I should focus on something else? If UWR maybe an artifact subtheme?

EDHRec doesnt help because I dont think you can sort by CMC

Awful jank question

Say smokestack has multiple soot counters on itself. If i were to sack smokestack to itself as the first sac, would i need to sacrifice for the remaining counters?

>he has trouble finding four drops
Here, user, I'll trade you. All I do is know 4 drops:

>desecration demon
>phyrexian obliterator
>bloodspore thrinax
>Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
>Crypt Ghast
>Disciple of Bolas
>Ghonti
>Tree of Perdition
>Vindictive Lich
>Sangromancer
>obstinate baloth
>Nylea, God of the Hunt
>Vizier of the Menagerie

And seriously user, I can go on and on and on.

>not mentioning our lord and savior birthing pod
ignoring that it's actually a 3-drop

You're welcome to your opinion, but in my rather extensive experience, you'd be wrong. Jin draws a million cards, Urabrask just doesn't.

Yeah, he's pretty damn strong.

I know "dies to removal" is the hot meme these days, but Vorinclex *does* actually survive sometimes and those times are terrible. Either you play nothing and hope someone else has an answer (then you die because you did nothing and they have a mana flare on a fat guy) or you play stuff, get locked down, and value'd you by the Vorinclex player since he has vastly more resources than you do. He's strong like Elesh Norn, but for very different reasons.

Eh, probably not. Doesn't do what the deck wants to do. Sheoldred is a great B/G value card. Hapatra is a general with a specific game plan and Sheoldred doesn't play into that. If you need a scary threat and don't particularly care who it is, only that they do something, Sheoldred's a great fit. Otherwise, I might find something that fits your theme a little stronger.

Yep. Once it's triggered it continues resolving regardless of whether the source still exists.

Yes, you'll need to sac all the way. You don't do it one at a time.

Yes. You sacrifice one for each counter, not one for the first counter then one for the second counter then one for the third.

Those are all creatures, don't even get me started on friggin everything else.

I also didn't mention Oracle of Mul Daya, Phyrexian Metamorph, Purphoros, clever imposter, bloodfray giant, evil twin etc. etc.

Seriously, all my decks are just littered with 4 drops, it's a giant clusterfuck because you need 8 mana before you can start casting 2 a turn.

I mean, it'd be kind of pointless to tell him about all these non-b/g creatures given that he was asking about 4-drops for Meren.