>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU [Open]

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo [Open]
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo [Open]

>Previous Thread(s):
→ #

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZ6M390/
youtube.com/watch?v=HUKsUtHx4QU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Do I receive a confirmation after signup?
Yes, I send 'em out as soon as I see the email, shouldn't take longer than 1-2 days. If you got none til then, resend a mail.

>What shall I include in the email?
Well, your address, obviously. Also, your name if you're not 100% sure that you receive packages without a name. You also can include what you are collecting etc, but don't expect to get something related to that 100%

>What shall I gift?
I don't know, use your imagination! You can check last year's SS here: imgur.com/a/1fxhq

>How much should I gift?
Well it should be at least 10-15$ in value, so that it is worthwhile all the hassle. But you can also go higher and nobody will say a thing if it's only 7.85$. It's the gesture that counts. I'm sure you find some cool stuff in your bitzbox, too.

>When do we get our matches?
The matching will take place Dec 1st and after that, you'll receive an email with the address of your match

>What about shipping costs?
I try to do continental matching, so they shouldn't be too high. If you specifically want someone from another continent, I also try to arrange that!

>What do if I get grinched?
Email me and I'll try to contact your match. If we can't sort it out, he'll get put onto the naughty list. Often, we find kind anons jumping in and sending something to you in this case!

>Why the fuck are we doing this?
Because /WIP/ is literally the most wholesome online community.

>Do people sign up from country XY?
Most people sign up from NA and EU, but also from Australia, Japan, whatever. If you only want to participate of someone else from your country registers, you can ask in advance, just shoot an email.

Is that duncans first model?

Yes, was featured last year, he keeps it at his desk to remind himself of his beginnings.

Please always include "work in progress" in the OP, it's significantly easier to search for than simply WIP.
Is there such a thing as a great all-round primer for figures, that works for plastic, resin and metal? I don't want to waste any money and I want good quality spray primer.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00KZ6M390/

Keep working on this fella. Went with a black panther scheme but im still no convinced with the feline part. Meaby I´ll repaint him in a snow leopard style. Thougths?

Duncan never responded to my tweet

Just got 9 of these boys off eBay
How should I repaint them?

Probably been asked before but does anyone know where the scout heads came from?

Yeah, right, knew I forgot something. My bad.

Neat.jpg

Posting this since someone was wondering how it would look in one of the /40kg/ threads.

His was too choked up to reply, I swear.
In any case, I still thing what you've done is quite wonderful.

Looks fucking good. Primaris with chainswords when?

First 2 ork boys done.

At first i was scared to paint the blue face paint because i felt i did really good with the green on the face. maybe not the arms. I like the blue as soon as I put on the highlight of it.

With the arms I did the base color then a wash. should i hold off on the wash until after the second green for a better effect or did I do okay? With practice im sure it will look better.

How about brown for the pants and shirt. Both are a different brown but with the wash they look pretty similar. Should I try to throw a blue on the shirts here and there?

Feedback is much appreciated!

I'd post the finished mini but I kinda feel like a freshly laid steamer right now so maybe later. I like your mini. Planning to be a jump pack HQ?

Posted this just as the last thread went under. Does this look right for a grav-sled? Is it oversized

You did well user. Skin needs another layer for highlights, and meaby a green glaze after.You can try different recipes, meaby base, full wash, layer and highlight or base, controlled wash and several glazes...etc. Just try some different approachs until you find the one that suits your style.
Blue paint will benefite from another highlight. I dont know why, but the face on the left ork looks miles better.
Overall looking fresh, but man, orks need some new models.

>Planning to be a jump pack HQ?
Nah, someone was just wondering how Primaris with Jump Packs would look. I haven't glued the powerpacks on mine so I helped him out.

On a side now, does anyone know how pic related looks with modern Jump Packs? I have a lot of Jump Packs coming in the mail and no one to put them on. I'm not sure if I want to buy another Calth for bodies or another Demi-Company box. All II know is I need more Assault Marines to make the Great Angel proud.

Seems about right to me. Any smaller and I think it would look more like a grav handcart than a heavy duty sled.

I can't decide if it's work the extra effort to do subassemblies on my primaris so I can paint the back of the bolt rifle of if I should just say fuck it and assemble them completely so that I can get an army painted and on the table?

I wanna give magnetizing a go, with a helbrute as an option.

What size magnets? I was thinking 4mm by 1mm and 3mm by 1mm. But I'm not sure if that's too thin.

Also, what to do for drill bits.

Tips?

Do their current scheme, but not shitty. The look he was going for honestly isn't bad.

Thank! Going to try some things. Will post updated ork boys!

Nice quads btw

>How should I repaint them?
>The look he was going for honestly isn't bad.

If you did, I think you will at least have *some* fans!

>Dva
I've changed my mind, do a different scheme.

Apparently he crafted them out of green stuff

welp I went to see if adding checkers would add or take away from deathskull scheme... I think it took away. Also it looks like an ork painted it lol.

Opinions or ideas?

Man I wish I could get one of GW's layer paints not so incredibly thinned down
4-5 thin layers is so very tiring

Paint looks a little thick, and as the other user said another, very slightly lighter green highlight on the muscles might look nice, but other than that pretty solid.
Leave the checks, they look neat

paint over the black checks with blue?
you could also do dags instead of checks to make it less goff

i recognize the one on the right but whats on the left

A mix of Tron and retro wave music/aesthetic
youtube.com/watch?v=HUKsUtHx4QU

I don't give a shit about any particular existing wargame at present. I mostly want miniatures for tabletop RPGs and dioramas. At some point I may start messing around with public domain or open source wargame rules.

Anyway, given the above, what's a good choice in terms of scale? Also, is buying a collection of used miniatures on ebay and stripping them the best way to go for cost-effectiveness relative to quality?

How/where do I start with terrain?

I'm very new to all this.

25/28mm is the RPG standard and most smaller scale skirmish games.

15mm is common in historical and mass army.

52mm is rare and only comes up in very small scale skirmish games.

Try Reaper minis. Their PVC minis are very cheap and still boast good quality with a wide selection. Perfect for new painters

For terrain, try people on youtube like Wylock's Armory, Lukes APS, and TheTerrainTutor. All three of them focus on making terrain on the cheap making them good for info to start off with before jumping into more pricey terrain

The tutorials in the OP will be useful no matter the model. Stripping takes a fair bit of time so it might not be worth while depending on the price of the model and how much you value your free time. There are some online retailers that do sales to get rid of stock for games that are dying.

Biker sprue iirc

>Metroid Marine
>Retrowave Marine
>Inspired by Duncan's First Marine Marine

You are my favorite.

Why does my paint job fall apart when I get to the layering phase? The base coats always look nice, but I end up with brush lines and uneven coats when I start to layer.

How difficult it is to use them on table?

I mean, could I paint every SM a different style and still use them? I remember one painter here making the WAAAAAAAHHHHGvengers or something. Could he use it on FLGS? In tournament?

>but I end up with brush lines and uneven coats when I start to layer
Depends. If you use GW paints you have to consider that they come prethinned.
Otherwise the same as always: two thin coats etc.

Thanks. I'll start with 25/28mm and maybe get a few 15mm if that's the only size I can find models in for my Spanish Republican, Anarchist, and Communist and Makhnovshchina dioramas.

Awesome, thank you. I don't want to invest a shitload of money until I've decided for certain this part of the hobby is for me, so the recommendation of Reaper minis and the list of channels about cheap terrain are perfect.

Thank you for the advice. I'll check the tutorials for painting, and look into those retailers.

I'm loving that SynthMarine. The only thing I'd love more is some kind of weird IG unit from a planet that dresses like Kavinsky and the Driver, all wearing white hitops, baseball jackets, and mirror shades.

What I planned as to denote squads by a marking stripe on the base. Like for my Hellblasters, which are those three, a Lamenter, and an Alpha Legion marine I'm going to mark them with a blue stripe on the base rim, with Samus getting a white stripe to denote Sergenat status

The whole chapter is an exercise in "Fuck one color I want to paint alot of things" with the fluff excuse that they are scavengers and pirates. Although desu the entire chapter has been put on hold for a while since I really want to make superheavy industrial Sisters unknowingly corrupted by Slaanesh since Sisters are what got me into 40k even before the chadmarine sculpts made me buy my first 40k models

Group shot of my desk residents. In the back are Johhny P, my first marine Jonesy, and Artorias, with my current WIP in my hand on the left

A shame really, every time I see his models I think of yours now.

Mk4 look good with modern jump packs. Just make sure you cut up the arms, repose them and give them appropriate weapons if you want to use BaC stuff.

It's actually pretty easy. I did it with mk3, which is harder imo since it has segmented plates that show the orientation of the limbs. Pic related.

What was your process for doing the feathers? Really like the look.

TZEENTCH CLAIMS HIS OWN
BIRDS BELONG TO THE INFERNAL SCHEMER

How hard would ot be to build a skeleton blood bowl team with kits already avalible, i guess i would need the box of skulls and a box or two of SKELETON WARRIORS

Repost from the general.
Just finished the painboy, what do you guys think?

Fantastic work user, i really like the blood patina on the instruments

You can get helmets and catching gloves from tabletop art
So in theory you'd just have to come up with some kind of 'uniform', i.e. which bits to use for which role (armor or even grave guard bits for example) and clip off the weapons from the arms and put some third party bits like I mentioned on there.
You could also kitbash the human team I guess. though that may be more work than necessary.

I was thinking of giving them skulss for hands and shit, and making the sphyxes and other creatures on the khemri team with skulss and skeleton bits, have there shtick be that a necromancer wanted into BB and just used what he haf lying around.

Really appreciate it user.

For Khemri you might have to look into alternate minis altogether unless you still have some GW plastics around.
I think Willy Miniatures do Khemri. Not sure but Gaspez, Black Scorpion and Greebo should have undead at least.

How to make myself stop being a lazy piece of shit and just paint? Once I get home from work I just want to eat and then go sleep

>cut power sword out of sprue
>somehow instantly snaps in half
H-haha guess that champion's getting a chainsword after all

You could try converting it to look a bit more worn down and stuff maybe? Depending on where it broke and all. Idunno

A broken sword would actually make for a cool looking unique weapon for your guy if you do it right and the blade broke off in the right spot. You could also just slap some green stuff on it and sculpt a new blade.

scenic base with half embedded in a victim's forehead

Easy jersey idea - just drape a thin bit of greenstuff over them like the remains of a shirt, cut up the edges to look jagged and torn, and paint them in faded team colors.

More wip on the Gold Smoke Knight

Too low down, shit's fucked
I will probably have to do this, but I will have to figure out what to do about the hand

Strap a car battery to the chainsword
PowerChainSword

My brother has a sarg with a completely broken in half sword and he's modeled him that way through both his subsequent forms (Deathwatch and Captain)

It's an intentional HS reference but I mean hey

Ah, that's unfortunate. Could always try looking for a bits seller or something but other than that rest in peace sword.

been following your progress on this. Really pretty. good job.

Bits stores are superkikes, I might as well just buy another box of CSM, I need more icons and special weapons anyways

Question. I am painting purple on my minis. Naggaroth to be specific. Why does it look so black and how can I fix that?

It will look better when you highlight it with a lighter purple

multiple thin coats

I am up too around 4 thin coats. With lighting its pretty evident that the purple is there. Just looks like shit prior though.
I will have to give this a shot after work tomorrow.

Thanks anons

To that user who gave me the corroded bronze recipe, I tried it out tonight. My ability to use it wasn't always perfect but it turned out pretty fucking good

I added some polishing with Balthazar Gold -> Aurius Gold -> Runefang Silver

Anyone know what this model is? I must have it.

Teach us your ways, user.

So I'm planning on painting my mechanicus army kind of like the standard dark eldar color scheme with the base coat of their robes being incubi darkness(well, probably a 3rd party equivalent), and I was wondering what I should paint the other parts of the model(mainly the inside of the robe and the metal parts). Any ideas folks?

Well you could just roll with the DA scheme and do the metal parts in a pale gold and the inside robes in a skin/cream color. Though if you want the inside of the robes the other shade then it should probably be something that contrasts nicely with whatever metal color you use.

More progress on the Guild Ball team. Yesterday was Benediction and today was Strongbox. Really loving these models.

Hmm, pale gold for the metal parts. No real idea how that'd look. This will actually be my first army.

You could try to photoshop a mockup.
Just take a store picture and play around with it in the photo editing software of your choice.

That is a good and very obvious idea that I did not think about. Thank you.

well now i wanna paint my own chapter

Some characters I am working on. The Commisar is for a Genestealer Cult army, hence why he has no arm as Im putting a claw hand on him.

The Servitor is for the beginnings of a INQ28 warband.

Boom
Assassin #14

not sure i'm sold on the totally blank face, all the stuff around it making up the rest of the head is cool though

I thought about doing a skull but I don't have one eerie enough. A gloss black or faultless bone helmet sounds cool to me

Hello, my friends. Is this shit?

No really, just scrape the moldlines and drill the barrel next time

The marine itself is decent enough, that base awful though. get some texture paint and use that instead.
Or sand and pva glue works.

I tried to scrape the moldlines with an exacto knife.

Can I go back and drill the barrels on painted dudes? I won't be in store until the weekend but I'll probably paint more dudes before then

>not static grass

I want my CSM to be standing on a beautiful meadow. Can I just glue a bunch of fake grass stuff to these green bases?

9 hours later and have 10 done. fuudge...

First 10 Ork boys are done though! Took the advice and did another highlight of skin and blue face paint. Will probably drop the checker pattern.

I'm pretty pleased with myself except for brown pants and brown shirts. might scatter in some blue shirts here and there to break it up. Any ideas anyone?

9 hours later and have 10 done. fuudge...

you can, I'd recommend using a slightly less "OH GOD MY EYES" shade of green for the base rim though
Where's oldschool blood angels user when you need him?

>blank faced blank

>I want my CSM to be standing on a beautiful meadow.

Mind if we play through?

>Where's oldschool blood angels user when you need him?

You rang?

Can anyone tell me what the Vallejo/any other brand equivalent to citadel's Incubi Darkness is? I can't find it on any charts.

Scout sniper squad with sculpted repirators