Implying there isn't a gaming culture war underway between roleplayers and storygamers

>implying there isn't a gaming culture war underway between roleplayers and storygamers

Other urls found in this thread:

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/6517/roleplaying-games/roleplaying-games-vs-storytelling-games
youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tries to nitpick over the guy's choice of words
>then spells prevented wrong
Embarassing

As a mouth breathing retard, what's the difference?

Arbitrary elitism.

>My fun>your fun

The difference between "Advanced Dungeons and Dargons" and "Powered by the Apocalypse"
The former is about tempting fate. The latter is about coauthoring a novel.
Different strokes for different blokes.

I think I caught autism from reading that.

I don't think anyone cares about this moronic writer. He's sticking his head so far up his ass he's entered Riemannian space.

>tfw to intelligent too spell corretly

To be fair, he's got too high an IQ for most people to comprehend his argument; they wouldn't understand that he doesn't like something and therefore it's bad. You'd have had to have read the Bhagavad Gita and Leibniz to see the sublime truth of his words.

Oh god. It's one of those "characters should never die except for narrative purposes" faggots.

Yes. More and more people are pushing this silly idea that the GAME (because it is a game) shouldn't be dictated by rules and mechanics but rather by narrative and "character arcs". This rears its head around in a lot of different forms like the "rule of cool" style DMs and the "never say no. say yes, and" rpg bloggers who have somehow convinced themselves that they're on an elevated level of consciousness when it comes to role playing games.

In actuality, they're just free form role players and we all know that those people are 99% unbearable faggots.

There isn't. One faggot being this mad doesn't constitute a war, much less one involving the whole culture of the hobby.

>Millions of people inspired to play
I remember being this naive.

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/6517/roleplaying-games/roleplaying-games-vs-storytelling-games

A thread died for this bullshit. I hope you know that OP. I hope it keeps you up at night.

>Another bait thread died for this bait thread
Wowitsfuckingnothing.png

, What a tragedy.

The weak should fear the strong.

I don't think I'd be complaining about unbearable faggots in your position, user.

Glass houses and all that.

Let them fight.

They'll still always revert to being allies when the LARPers raise their foul and odious presence.

I'm the polar opposite of a storygamer and I agree that illusionism is complete horseshit.
Not much of a conflict there.

>"no, you"

k faggot

Pretty much this. Luckily most of these unbearable storygame faggots congregate on Google+, where the rest of the world can ignore them.

>Let me break that down: Roleplaying games are self-evidently about playing a role. Playing a role is about making choices as if you were the character. Therefore, in order for a game to be a roleplaying game (and not just a game where you happen to play a role), the mechanics of the game have to be about making and resolving choices as if you were the character. If the mechanics of the game require you to make choices which aren’t associated to the choices made by the character, then the mechanics of the game aren’t about roleplaying and it’s not a roleplaying game.

Goddammit I love this guy.

Preferably lower~

youtube.com/watch?v=6jJIVK-daGk

>Characters not dying is bad for the story
Possibly correct
>Characters dying due to randomly generated gameplay mechanics is good for the story
Autistic and wrong

Remember when Frank Herbert rolled dice everytime he narrated a combat scene in order to see who died? Paul sure was lucky he made all his saves.
Remember when all the members of the Fellowship died one-by-one and were replaced? And at the end Dorfo Fraggins, Dwarf Thief, wondered aloud whether a Fellowship that had all its parts replaced over its lifetime was still the same Fellowship?
Don't even get me started on the near miraculous statistical anomaly that was Sherlock Holmes succeeding 2500 inspection checks in a row while Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was rolling for what happens in his stories.

Maybe what this fellow is looking for is a creative writing club, not a pen and paper club

Sauce?

Doesn't make the stone any less real friendo

Which side are you arguing?

>implying Sherlock didnt take a 10 99.9% of the time

>putting PCs in genuine peril when it's not dramatically appropriate in the first place and then crying that the rules lets characters die when it's not appropriate
>Refusing to make a character death into interesting storytelling as your party works to revive their ally

Not that poster, but is seems that's he's arguing that arbitrary death isn't fun and sometimes you need the human factor to realize when a random fluke of the die is going to totally fuck a character over and be able to correct it.

Only that people who think adhering to randomly generated dice rolls somehow inherently creates a better story, in the literal story book sense, are wrong.

The GMs coddling their players and fudging all death rolls are, ironically, at least closer to approximating how actual story-writing works.

>Playing a role is about making choices as if you were the character.

But that's wrong. Role-playing is simply pretending to be someone else. An actor reading a script is role-playing. A kid doing a mock interview is role-playing. I'm not a fan of storytelling games, but this dude is just changing definitions to better fit his argument.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing

>Characters dying due to randomly generated gameplay mechanics is good for the story
>Autistic and wrong
Depends on the kind of game you're playing.
I'm running an old school D&D campaign at the moment, and one of the best sessions has been the one where two pcs died due to freak circumstances none of us could have predicted and some horrendous bad luck.

It was dramatic and exciting in a way that wouldn't have been the same if it was planned.

>roleplaying vs narrative again

Look, it's just roguelikes VS pre-constructed worlds.

Some people like a random thing every time and don't mind if it sort of doesn't have as much consistency or narrative punch, some people like a pre-made world that has things to find and do.

Just like I would play a roguelike bullet hell but would not play a roguelike zelda clone, I would play a gamist dungeoneering game but would not play a gamist grand adventure game.

I strongly disagree. Real stakes and a real sense of danger are what makes the story meaningful.

sorta, in that rogue-like kinda way.

Yes.

I for one think the danger should be calibrated to the level of danger fantastic heroes have.
So death is almost right off the table except for maybe once or twice per campaign unless you are playing some high lethality game of thrones shit.

This is a false comparison because it implies that randomization makes the narrative less impactful when it is the opposite. The removing of stakes destroys narrative weight.

>in the literal story book sense
Why would you aim for that?

>I'm not a fan of storytelling games, but this dude is just changing definitions to better fit his argument.

Honestly, I've never really read a good description of a 'Storytelling Game' that does't read as 'RPGs that were made after I was 16 and thus RPGs were at the best they'll ever be'

It's way less impactful when the party has been entirely replaced midway through the campaign, yes.

The random roll method just doesn't hold together as well and deliver as coherent a package as the narrative design, by its very nature.

What is she from?

That is a really stupid comparison obviously being made to try and bolster your point by being disengenuous.

but user, I like roguelikes. I chose both examples as things that are entirely valid and enjoyable if used correctly.

Incorrect. This only holds true in a game where death happens constantly, which is untrue in essentially every game with randomization. You will experience a few character deaths at moments of horrid luck or extreme danger. The fact you don’t know when it is coming gives your decisions meaning.

I disagree with you strongly sir and would not enjoy gaming with you.

It's exciting in the context of being a player in the session, with stakes and interests in the story at the moment.
From an outside perspective, as if a third-party were reading a novelization, it would probably be incoherent to have characters die due to circumstance.

The story is good from "that was a great session, it was really tense", which isn't the same as saying a story is good from a "Dune is a great story" sense.

Except comparing it to a rogue like is extremely disengenuous as the only similarity they share is ‘death exists as a consequence’ for actions. I honestly can not tell if you’re a troll or just horrid at comparisons.

That's fine. It won't be the first time someone let their strong opinions get in the way of using the appropriate game design for the appropriate situation.

Isn't roleplaying about creating a setting and plot hooks and then letting the players write their own story? Players wanting to go to the brothel doesn't mean that the DM is a crap writer, it means that the players are tasteless plebs; but hey, it's their game let them do what they want. If you want characters railroaded down a carefully narrated story, go write a fucking book and stop telling people how you think they should be having fun.

Are you saying that Critical Role needs to be a storygame with a narrative because it's really for the audience watching at home and not the players or DM?

Actually, they share a much deeper similarity. That of all parts having to be properly interchangable regardless of the character you bring into the situation if you want to maintain your arc.

And if you aren't maintaining arcs, right there that means your game is already far less planned out than the other methodology, leading to less thought out worlds to explore.

I would also disagree with this, as stories where characters feel as if they only die when ordained to feel extremely boring. I have read stories like this and seen players construct stories like this during play. They are hogwash. I much prefer the occasional unexpected death as it does add weight.

If I were to compare two campaigns I have been in, one with only narrative death and one with gameplay death the gameplay one was from the outside a far more meaningful story as it held weight and didn’t merely exist as a wish fulfillment exercise for its players.

see, when you use hyperbole like that, it makes your argument seem flawed.

>Forgefags being horrified that people enjoy GAMING once again
Couldn't feel better about it, even when the Critical Role people aren't anywhere near the kind of old school D&D play I prefer.

And randomization removes arcs? I submit as counter evidence every game I have GMd and played in save a few narratavist ones.

>Oh god. It's one of those "characters should never die except for narrative purposes" faggots.
You know I never see anyone bring up this point of view unless they're arguing against it to make their equally extreme viewpoint look reasonable. Isn't there a word for that? Hay-man? Straw-boy? No one actually thinks that. Plenty of people do believe character death shouldn't be ARBITRARY, but that allows for death from bad decisions or poor planning.

did you not read the first half of that post?

What in this is hyperbole? I’ve seen in a narrativist game this exact pattern on multiple occasions.

I really don't understand why people fetishize PC death. Is it because you think it makes you a "hardcore player," or is your empathy so bad that it's the only kind of stakes or consequence that means anything to you?

>muh storygaming
Stop co-opting the term "storygaming" to better fit your narrative.