Warhammer Fantasy General - /wfg/

Sneaky Gobbos edition

>Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S (embed)
WFRP: pastebin.comq/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

>We're looking for these novels for the archive (not updated)
pastebin.com/TSQhemJR

>Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

>The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

>Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer 2: store.steampowered.com/app/594570/Total_War_WARHAMMER_II/
Vermintide 2: store.steampowered.com/app/552500/Warhammer_Vermintide_2/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Age of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

grimandperilous.com/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-4th-edition-news-emerges-from-pax-unplugged/
i.imgur.com/td4zB2D.gifv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ATHEL LOREN
Oh, a couple of the major modders in total war warhammer 2 made massive breakthroughs for unique settlements on the campaign map.

Fuckin' a. I just wish those mods didn't slow the loading times to a crawl when you've installed them.

Got a link? It’s about bloody time

Wood Elves are definitely one of the most interesting factions. I just wish there was more information on those beyond AL.
Are there Settlements in Lustria, or do the Lizardmen attend to them?
What are Wood Elves like in Naggaroth?

Well, I am a modder so the main modder who made the SKSE equivalent for warhammer 1 and 2 encountered this feature.
We are still in the planning stages
Also, look at the steam workshop now. Altdorf has a complelely unique settlement view on the campaign map

pic related is level 5 altdorf by the way. Notice the cathedral of sigmar, outer docks and the colleges of magic.

>grimandperilous.com/warhammer-fantasy-roleplay-4th-edition-news-emerges-from-pax-unplugged/

>Summer 2018

Looks good. Can you make it so they sort of spread out/get bigger as the go up levels? I see it's sort of gone that way with the towers and walls, but I still think the biggest city in the old world should *look* like it.

this is the level 1 building for comparison.
And its not my mod.

here's the actual animation

i.imgur.com/td4zB2D.gifv

Ah, okay. Does that mod do the same for any other cities?

Just altdorf Maruka will be releasing a tutorial soon and Crynsos is at work making more unique cities on the campaign map.

how do the worldroots work exactly? like, how do they travel along them?

Repostan for new thread.

>The trick is getting players over the hump of 'wow, I don't want to be this gay loser' and into the actual game.

I can appreciate taking a young fellow who got into the hobby with DnD and taking him on the magic carpet ride that is "not being the chosen hero of destiny all the fucking time." Honestly though, I personally don't have the time to train them into not having shit tastes because I don't get to play very often. Hats off to you, though.

As a side note, one of the things I generally impress upon new players to head this sort of behavior off at the pass is to let them know that this character's starting career is not who their character is going to be, it's who their character starts as. Some people will get off lucky and be a noble, or a squire, or what have you. Others are going to be literal vagrants and rag pickers. The idea is to instill on them the fact that this little nobody is THEIR little nobody, someone to take from zero to...whatever they want, really. It a harder sell with some, I agree, but anyone who buys into it without needing to be prodded or cajoled has a higher chance of being worth gaming with, imo.

How do you guys feel about this houseruru?

>Elves and Dwarfs may, at chargen, buy Read/Write using their Free Advance, provided that their starting career does not provide this skill. This option is intended to represent the greater rate of literacy found among these races. Note that this option may ONLY be taken at chargen, and if the player declines, they must acquire Read/Write by normal rules-as-written means.

Seems reasonable.

Are there any decent Smegma/Fantasy books?
I like the Universe and 40k, but never bothered with Fantasy. Really enjoying the Total Warhams though and Malakeith is a cool-cat..

Gotrek & Felix series - just the first two authors.

Genevieve Undead omnibus - personally I only like Beasts in Velvet. Drachenfels is also popular.

Malus Darkblade omnibus. Yes, it's cheese. It grows on you though.

Brunner the Bounty Hunter omnibus. Probably my favorite out of these.

>Malus Darkblade
>Dan Abnett
Neat. I love his comics and 40k books. I'll pick up everything he was for Fantasy.

Thanks for the other recommendations too, I'll give 'em a better look later.

I'd have to really recommend Fell Cargo, The Red Duke and the Blackhearts omnibus, as well as Death's City for Chaos fans and Headtaker if you're a Skaven fan. Oh, and of course the assorted fluff and short stories from the WFRP books, 2e especially.

>Brunner the Bounty Hunter
>Beasts in Velvet
listen to this man

>he didn't like Kinslayer
I respect but oppose your opinion

Riders Of Ellyrion/Defenders Of Ulthuan.

Ancient Blood.

Tales From The Ten-Tailed Cat.

There's nothing good Age Of Sigmar.

It's the ET stuff that bugs me. I can't really get over it being pegged in that timeline.

Anything by C.L. Werner is good, but I recommend Mathias Thulmann and Brunner the Bounty Hunter.

eh, the End Times shit was mostly in Slayer, worst comes to worst you can't just ignore GW's bullshit and pretend that the Chaos horde was eventually driven off before the Old World was fucked and Ulthuan and Naggaroth got nuked

The whole chain of events begin and end with Mannfred for some reason.

Shit makes no sense.

Is this any good for someone new to Warham Fantasy/Smegma?

No

Not at all

That bad, huh? People seemed to think it was filled with little introductions, so I wanted to check with you handsome fellas.

Its not really useful for much.

Age Of Sigmar is such a clusterfuck of a setting that the story won't really telly you much of anything about it, and it'll tell you nothing whatsoever about WFB.

You like those guys on the cover you may find it interesting, and if you want to build an army about that faction then maybe. But that it.

GW writers relate to a balding manlet failure with a dad who's far cooler than them

Adventure in the warp. Not necessarily fantasy or AOS setting. Any advice?

Missed thread shill?

Prepare for weird shit. Conventional physics doesn't exist even by the loose standards of Fantasy. You're probably going to die or go mad. Stay away from the Marcher Fortress. Always keep your campfire lit.

So I asked the 40k thread about this too but they just said "no not posdible" but what do you expect huh.
Anyway I'm reconsidering and making it more like the Northern Wastes and allowing them to move into the warp through portals and dreams (for short periods of time).
So what are the wastes like? Do physics still apply? To what extent has the warp bled through? Any tips or story ideas?

>So I asked the 40k thread about this too but they just said "no not posdible" but what do you expect huh.
I think you're a bit confused here. The Warp and Realm of Chaos are different things, and the idea of the Warp being completely inhospitable is completely a 40k thing. Humans can survive in the cracks between the material realm and the Realm of Chaos, like the Tong, but in the Warp you're fucked without being a Draigo level sue.

To put it simply in Warhammer Fantasy, the Gods have their own realm and corrupt Winds of Magic, which is almost inhospitable to human life, but a rare few manage to emerge after entering to seek the favour of Chaos. It spreads into the Chaos Wastes, the poles of the world where nomadic tribes of fanatics like the Tong live, or the hordes of beastmen down to the southern poles. This corruption then spreads even further south to the Eastern Steppes, Norsca and Naggaroth. This is where most chaos-worshipping groups can be found, like the Norscans, Hung and a majority of Kurgan nomads.

>So what are the wastes like? Do physics still apply?
To the extent the gods see fit. You might see floating islands off in the distance only to find them crashing down moments later, beasts moving across land that appear too large to walk or ice that burns to the touch.

>To what extent has the warp bled through?
Enough to permanently mutate and scar anyone who enters and manages to emerge alive. The ground shifts beneath your feet and existence itself is in constant flux.

>Any tips or story ideas?
Check out the Tome of Corruption for WFRP 2e. There's plenty of descriptions of the strange shit that happens in the Chaos Wastes there. Of course there are monsters, mutants and people mad enough to seek the favour of the gods there, but there are also cursed monuments to great champions, ancient treasures, tribes of mutants, fortresses that are filled with countless daemons from beyond the dawn of time, and even the gods themselves.

Thanks man, as a 40k kiddie who only started fantasy after the end times I had no idea the warp was so different in the two universes.
You've really convinced me to go full fantasy on this one. Thanks!

No problem man, it's always good to see someone else starting out. I doodled up a general "corruption map" real quick. As a rule, the lighter red the less influence Chaos (and Dhar in general) has over the land, and brown is Skaven due to the Horned Rat basically being the bullied younger brother of the Big Four (alongside Hashut).

>the clealiness of the art
>the lack of wrongness in the tzenchian daemon

I dunno, the little guy in the corner peeking out almost saves it for me

Take a gander at this then.
>Slayer, but not really.
>Armor for his mohawk, not his chest.
>Skaven-like symbol on forehead.
>Calls himself "Grimnir" because everyone important is _____-Grimnir.
>WoW pauldrons. Not good ones. The ones you get while leveling up.
>Cartoonish look of determination.
>NOT ANGRY.
>Short beard.
>Skin tattoo sticks out of his body by a great deal.
>Apparently riding a rusty dinosaur playground swing.
>Princess Leia horns.
>Hinge on bracelet for no reason.
>Freckles.

>FUCKING FRECKLES.

A different character. Identical, except even worse.

Or he's two Skaven wearing a Dwarf skin who forgot to take their symbol off the helmet, and are shouting "CONSARNIT" and hoping nobody notices.

His hands are bigger than his head.

Can Fanatics be charged through, or do they block like any other unit?

Is there no proper exporter for the models still?

> Legends of the Age of Smeg.

Setting confirmed from squat.

I think you can only move into them. Not charge. After which they deal their damage and are destroyed.

To enter the Realm of Chaos in fantasy, you head for either pole and leap through the Warp gate there. That's excepting obvious options like fucking up so bad a rift opens and sucks you in, or summoning a daemon to take you in. Note that actually entering the Realm of Chaos is...not a good idea. In the RPG, for almost everyone every time, this is instant death - and soul death on top of it.

Most Chaos worshipers or die hard ultra adventurers head instead for the Chaos Wastes. Imagine a limitless land that only obeys laws when it feels like it, subject always to dream (or more usually, nightmare) logic, plagued by STALKER's blowouts.

The Warp doesn't exist in Warhammer at all, that's 40k terminology. In Warhammer there's only the Realm of Chaos.

Yours aren't?

eh, for somebody familiar with 40k a comparison between the Warp, the Winds of Magic and the Realm of Chaos is a good jumping off point, even if it isn't 100% accurate

>The Warp and Realm of Chaos are different things
What? No.
It isn't called 'The Warp' in fantasy, it's called the Aethyr, but it's the same thing.

daed gaem
daed thraed

It’s not really elaborated on, they say that the forest spirits travel along it and they taught the Wood Elves to do it to.

I do like how TWW presents it as this weird primeval subrealm, but that’s really the closest we got.

I want to run WFRP (2nd) for my friends, but one of them says that he's just completely done with anything that has to do with Chaos. He has bad experiences with GMs who would just run plots where the SUPERCRAZY PLOT TWIST was just that the villain or whoever was a cultist or whatever the shit.

How can I run WFRP without Chaos in the foreground?

Anything related to greenskins. No chaos to be found here.

>Orcs & Goblins
>Skaven
>Undead
Three other standard enemies.
Or if you felt like slightly pushing the boundry your party could be helping a town escape the inquisition for suspected cult activity.

Greenskins of any kind, Skaven, Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Undead, or simply have them fight fellow humans.
The crime lord, the corrupted guard captain, or the scornful magister that wants you dead doesn't need to be a chaos cultist to be a compelling and dangerous enemy

only if the twist is that they were real cultists all along

The might is gathering. Still gotta do some bulls, guts, maneaters, one more leadbelcher, stonehorn, gorgers, some characters and as many gnoblars as I feel like. Kitties are ready but absent. Oh and the bases of course.

What's your experience with light-minded ogre lists? I play seldomly and mainly for the laughs but there seems to be enough variation in the book for that. Now I'm really into testing a list with some 3 gorgers. I've built my bulls with ironfists for aesthetics but would also like to run them in small groups with adhd. I guess it can pass.

Nice work. I'm so fucking excited to start my Ogre Kingdoms army next month, they have some of the coolest models in all of WFB. Never played them but they seem really fun.

That dwarf seems lost.

Funny I never thought of the Dark Lands as all that corrupting.

Deadly and a horrible place for sure but other than the Chaos Dwarfs who are (relatively non-corrupting) mostly just a place of undead, skaven, greenskins and monsters that have evolved to live in the shattered wastelands.

Thinking about it though, it makes sense there would be a fair bit of chaos going on out there too.

This is World of Warcraft art right?

Good luck! I think ogres are pretty damn fun army to play if you're used to some traditional rank&file. Just try to stay away from boring deathstars and play whatever you think looks cool. An awesome unit that works half the time is much more satisfying than a lame one that works everytime.

Yeah, luckily he got transfered to his own before the unthinkable

It doesn't make much sense for the Dark Lands to be corrupting, I feel. It's got a mountain range blocking the worst of the wind-borne stuff coming down from the north, and most of it is far enough away that it wouldn't be corrupt via proximity alone.

'sides, it's already literally less habitable than Mordor (no sea of Nurnen here), does it need warp storms and shit to make it even worse?

What edition?

As far as I remember (and for sure in 4th edition), a unit can't be moved into fanatics unless forced to.

The only time a player can choose to move into them is if a unit charging causes the fanatics to be released then the player can choose to halt the unit or continue the charge and take the hits.

Is Mighty Empires any good?

Isn't the map implying there are some minor chaos corruption because of Hashut? kinda like Skaven have their own ratty chaos corruption.

I guess it's possible? Might just be due to millennia of exploitation by the Chaos Dwarfs.

I think the difference here is between "controlled" warp and just the boiling mass of energy with horrors swimming about in it.

So 40k ships doing a warp jump are going through "empty/uncontrolled" warp space.

Meanwhile the Realm of Chaos, at least in so much as the bit you can get to by walking north on the Warhammer world is actually formed and crafted by the gods, similar to a demon world in the warp in 40k I guess?

It's more that the 'controlled' warp is an illusion created by the observer to help make sense of the incomprehensible.
When Warhammer Dante flies through the Realm of Chaos and sees Khorne sitting on his throne of skulls, he isn't seeing a literal throne of skulls. Khorne's true form isn't a big red angry dude, it's a titanic vortex of emotional power that can't be understood by the human brain, so the brass-armoured beast is just a nice analogy to stop you going insane.

Good enough for me. And even fits my comparison too.

Someone in a space ship looking out a window will see "fucked up space with monsters swimming in it" because part of them is expecting that, someone walking through the wastes will see "fucked up lands of the Chaos Gods".

So what's the next big announcement for TW:W likely going to be?

>How can I run WFRP without Chaos in the foreground?

Pretty easily, desu. People already mentioned greenskins, Skaven, and Undead, but you can also throw in other enemies at will. Maybe the local lord is plotting treason not because he's a cultist, he's just a power hungry bitch. Or maybe it's a mercenary campaign, and you fight whoever your paid to fight.

Find out if he's OK with straightforward Chaos enemies, too. Is he going to lose his shit if a campaign has an arc revolving around assassinating a Norscan chief whose raids have been devastating Ostland?

Something something don't talk to me or my son again blah.

There, I did it so nobody else has to.

Very nice, post a full army shot when you're finished.

Uh, easily? Pure politics - tensions between baronies or elector counties, skaven, greenskins, elves, lost dwarf hold delving, criminal thrillers, cults of gods like Ahalt or Khaine...

Yeah, they push Chaos cults and stuff kinda hard, but you can have issues with Greenskins, Undead and non-chaos cults.
Do Skaven count as Chaos? Cause they are bloody good for Empire adventures.

Skaven are 'technically Chaos,' but they rarely ally with the main four and always backstab them.

What wars are the Empire currently fighting?

I've been thinking about it, and there's not really an enemy that the Empire can continually be at war with.

Beastmen are only a threat when they join into a Brayherd, and even then they don't threaten anything outside their immediate vicinity.
Orcs often congregate in large groups, but act in a similar fashion to Beastmen otherwise.
Dark Elves only fuck with the Chadknights of Bretonnia.
The Border Princes lack enough individual strength to threaten anyone except their fellow princes.
Bretonnia and the Empire have no reason to attack each other; neither do Estalia, Tilea, or Kislev.
Chaos Dwarfs stay in their little hole away from everywhere else.

The only thing that the Empire could really fight on a regular basis would be Chaos, with most of the Chaos that the Empire fights being the occasional band of mutants, and Chaos Incursions only happening every few decades or so.

So, who does the Empire fight?

The Empire is constantly fighting low intensity wars with beastmen, greenskins, and the occasional band of raiders niggering around in Nordland.

Mind you, the Empire also has internal skirmishes and quarrels - this is a confederation, not a federation - and there are minor wars with Bretonnia, even though the Kingdom and Empire are on good terms overall.

The Vampire Counts.
And I think you're underestimating Greenskins and Beastmen.

Also: themselves. The Empire is a lot less unified than one might think, and various princes and counts are always having border wars with each other and the Bretonnians/Kislev/Border Princes. That's probably the closest you're going to get to a traditional stand-up historical war.

That was totally the wrong image, but whatever.

The empire's based on the HRE right?
Wouldn't that mean that they're a group of smaller states that are constantly at war with one another, but manage to fool people into thinking they're not?

It’s more a constant state of skirmishing punctuated by large invasions.
Greenskins constantly come down the mountains, Beastmen and Mutants are constantly harrying at villages, Norse and Dark Elves raid the coast and internal squabbles between the Electors and the nobility fill up the time between them. They only started having stable Emperors in 2034 after the Black Plague of 1111, so there’s been strife aplenty in that time.
They aren’t constantly fighting external wars, it’s more a overarching instability of the Empire. Most of the forest isn’t considered tamed at all in the general “present day”. And then there’s fucking Sylvania

Yeah. It was worse during the Age of Three Emperors, for obvious reasons.
But the Elector Counts can theoretically ignore Imperial edicts if they want and stopping any internal disputes between lesser states is the duty of their immediate liege, which is sometimes not in their best interests.

It's the kind of glorious mess you would design if you were a history buff creating wargame where everyone has a good excuse to fight each other.
Handy, really.

Holy shit this map is gorgeous. Are there more like it?

I don't think so. The same guy started an Altdorf map, but it is still very much WIP.

There's this one by Andy Law that I'm a big fan of. He had a version with most of the Empire on, but had some setbacks when his house was flooded.
He mentioned posting the full thing a couple of years ago, but never did.
He might be amenable to some delicate inquiries.

>altdorf map

Altdorf is canonically unmappable due to the Colleges of Magic.

Which is funny because maps definitely exist.

I always thought that was a little dumb anyway. Having the Colleges warp the area around them to conceal them like Warhammer Hogwarts is one thing, but you'd think that making the whole city impossible to map would hinder the day-to-day running of the place somewhat.

what the fucking hell is happening to altdorf in that map?

End Times, methinks. Where the city was lost despite the best efforts of the Empire, Bretonnia, and Vlad Von Carstein.

It's no joke when people say you could tell who would win a fight in ET based off who was the more evil.

>End Times

thats enough

I'm new to WHF and have decided to start playing Daemons.

What's a good core list for 1000 point games? Anything but nurgle is good.

nurgle