Give me one good reason this is not the best Actual Play RPG podcast

Also general RPG podcasts thread

Other urls found in this thread:

player.fm/series/big-gay-nerds
filmreroll.com
soundcloud.com/gurpscast/sets.
youtube.com/watch?v=n0a8P1mMVEo&list=PLRFGEGUhsfgLIHZcCUP89sUYBFSZH1-ty
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because Roleplaying Public Radio is, because it does more than shitty D&D.

"Best" is subjective. Everyone's tastes are different. There is no best, there is no worst. There is only a podcast.

>There is no best, there is no worst
Yet Critical Role is still shit

SJW cuckhold the podcast!

> RPPR
> That shitty audio quality
> One of the most common players has a weird thing where he constantly clears his throat / gives a weird grovel
I will say though that I really like the scenarios they play

Woah, look at this rational guy, going around talking all reasonable-like. Get out while you can

The waves grow vastly.
Yet they do not break the shore.
Repeating ever more.

How so?

Too railroady
Perfectly fine to listen to, but I'd be ripping my hair if I were a player.

On the topic of RPG podcasts, what suggestions and advice would you give someone who was looking to start an rpg podcast?

Griffin: “no matter what characters we play, we are still four cis white dudes”

Travis: “I really wanted to explore Inuit culture and even spoke to a real Inuit”

All four McElroy’s have multiple peggings a day.

No, it's Roll to Seize dude.

Play something other than D&D. Get some good mics. Don't do the magical natural 20 thing. Unless you're aiming to be wacky, in which case do that.

So they talked about being white? Who cares? And what's wrong with Inuits?

Make your audio non shit.

Playing anything non D&D will automatically get you a small fanbase of people who are looking for a podcast of their favourite system (On an unrelated note, if you make a GURPS podcast I will give you and any other hosts/guests a blowjob)

Don't force being funny. If you're doing a AP, don't worry about forcing RP; if you're good role players it'll come out naturally. Don't specifically try to get a Sir Bearington on air.

Be chill

That's about it

What are jokes?
How are you this sensitive?

The McElroys are 100% serious about playing to that audience. Which is a shame, since you can't tell when they don't talk about it.

>TTAZZ around ep 60
>"We did outreach with our fans and we didn't realize when we named the character Taako how deeply offended our fanbase was about cultural appropriation and latinx concerns...we named her Lup very early on, but we always knew she was going to be trans, and

You get the idea. This is strict paraphrasing, not some exaggeration.

Their problem is that they listen to those sources and take them 100% seriously.

They have deep ties to Polygon so of course they do.

Really, it's just good business when a lot of your audience is Tumblr.

True.

I'd say he did pretty good considering it was his first game, aside from the ending.

And it's a bit less railroady than you'd think. The whole "Arms outstretched" thing was totally unplanned, and the origional idea was that Magnes or whoever got soul-bell'd would spend a bunch of time with Kravitz, and he had a whole "Darkest Timeline" thing planned for if Magnes took the deal to undo his wife's death

>intentionally segregate yourself to the tumblr ghetto 0.001% of the RPG playing community
>good business
They couldn't be pigeonholing themselves more if they tried.

Because it's not really even an RPG. It's more of a radioplay with a few dice rolls and no real adhering to the rules. At least after the first half.

Also the whole trannies traveling through space and time bit was just really stupid.

>lup is trans
cool, it's a nice aesthetic. Taako took femininity different directions and became different people
>she is not named chalupa because that would be offensive
fucking tumblr ruins something else beautiful in the world

Taako and Lup*

You pretty clearly listen to their shit to get this assmad about it.

In my experience RPG crowd is pretty SJW though, and holds liberal values in general. Your 0.001% is a gross exaggeration.

Is your experience of roleplayers all from Paizo or something?
Because I can count the number of SJW roleplayers I know of on one hand, most of them RPG.net/Onyx Path/Paizo regulars that are unwelcome on all the other major RPG boards. The RL ones aren't anywhere close and I live in an otherwise very liberal area.

>liberal values
>SJW
Two completely orthogonal concepts even if SJWs and infiltrators among the left would have you believe otherwise.

I have four
Friday Night Quests
Venture Maidens
Dames and Dragons
Dark Heresy

I liked most of The Adventure Zone as a comic radio show and thought the blatant sjw pandering was tolerable for the most part. That said, even as a libcuck myself I felt my fucking soul escape my body when Clint announced the last division of his superhero society as the "diversity" division, and I haven't listened to it since. Also Griffin was being kind of a baby when Travis's character didn't like his. Is the latest arc any good or is it just bullshit?

Unfortunately their main crowd is tumblr types, so they gotta stick with that formula.
The whole MaxFun network is full of people like that

Its pretty good! I've started listening to NeoScum recently, I'm enjoying it. Its a Shadowrun game, and all the players are improvers, which shows.

They run off the rails more than any game group I've ever been in would ever dare, and the GM makes no effort to stop them, and just goes with it, which I respect.

Because I'm only 10 episodes into Glass Cannon Podcast and loving it a lot more.

I also preferred RPPRs stuff.

Also preferred Acq Inq stuff (when it was actually a podcast) in terms of silly actual plays.

Maybe I'll finally cave and check out Critical Role. Meh

And even an old really poor audio quality podcast called "Wizards College" from a group called Gamer's Haven.

Its definetly not Balance levels of character development...in fact it has no character development. Its not bad, it has few good laughs and the sjw shit is practically non existent once you get into the story. Only real problems are clint being a very new gm, Travis' char being too much of a stand offish loner and Grif not being able to slip fully from GM to player...and alos being a bit of a memelord. Justins actions as the inuit god are pretty decent doe, got a few fgood laughs. If its any consolation the last ep for the arc is the next one, followed by a live show posting and then the next arc.

It's really fun listening to whenever they go on about this bullshit, and their dad is completely silent the whole time. All because he's just there to play D&D with his sons, and his livelihood isn't tied to pandering to a validation starved mob.

Good to hear, I'll have to pick it back up. What I'd really like to see though is another Hogsbottom Three episode.

I just feel sorry for him.
Imagine your kids turning out like that.
I'd feel like I had failed as a parent.

big gay nerds is actually really fucking good and I discovered monster hearts through them.
player.fm/series/big-gay-nerds

I actually like the current arc so far, I was getting tired of Griffin being the gm

>tfw your sexuality is your entire identity so you have to put it in the title of your rpg podcast

Pass

So this is where the new tumblr/neogaf/reddit cancer I've noticed on Veeky Forums recently came from. Any podcasts that aren't chock-full of cuckery?

>Pathfinder and WoD

Why am I not surprised?

Literally who gives a shit. I don't agree with all of their views either, but if you're so annoyed by someone having a different opinion than you you're literally doing the same thing you're so pissy about "SJW"s doing.

Paizo enables weebs and furries

'SJW's and that sort of culture makes weebs and furries feel safe because they're regressively tolerant of weirdos and degenerates.

I think it's just that it feels so forced and an obvious response to their tumblr fans.

It's one of those things where they gave an inch, and the "sjws" are taking a mile. Unfortunately the McElroys didn't just ignore them, because that's how you deal with that crowd.

But the dude works for Vox/Polygon so what else can be expected?

Yeah, Its nice to have them switch the roles around. Im most curious about who will DM next and which system they choose if they move on frome FATE.

I was shocked at how good Justin is able to roleplay. He's really damn good at picking up different kinds of characters. In the episode where they get their powers and Clint's asking them how they feel and the others are kind of joking around, and he just says "I'm scared", I really felt that shit. It wasn't a joke, he was really playing that character. Normally I prefer when they're being more jokey and not being serious, but I was just taken aback by Justin really doing this shit. Turns out Taako stealing the show wasn't just a fluke

What "mile" did they take? AFAIK the only thing they ever changed was the Chalupa thing. Trading a shitty pun for not alienating a few fans seems pretty reasonable.

I think they said they were each trying different systems. I feel like they specified which but I forget now. Iirc Travis had an idea for a western story

>dumb brainlet thinks pandering and demonstrably shittier worse content is 'opinions'

fucking sasuga mongoloid-chan

Nigga you know they did dumb pointless shit like made bad NPCs have a gay relationship for tumblr points and take center stage when nobody had a reason to care about them in the first place. Why you gotta fucking lie? "only thing they ever changed." Come on. As soon as they got out of the goblin cave and out of the moon this shit started to ramp right up.

Justin is by and far my fav of the group when it comes to roleplay and humor. He was pretty much the first to really get into the character and just kept building up from that.

The best Actual Play RPG podcast is: filmreroll.com

And another recommendation is: soundcloud.com/gurpscast/sets. Just because there's not that much GURPS Actual Plays out there, and this needs some love.

>if you make a GURPS podcast I will give you and any other hosts/guests a blowjob)

I think Griffin can be the funniest, but he tries really really hard to be funny all of the time, and it gets grating. I find him especially annoying in Commitment. Travis always kind of feels like a third wheel, but I do think he's playing his new character well and distinctly, just she's kind of a bitch.

The funny thing is that Mexicans wheren't offended about this because they generally love to make fun of their stereotypes. The only people that where offended where the tumblrites, that are white American teens.

>Dames and Dragons
You mean Dames and Dragons and Farts?

The whole debacle with anything Taako related just goes to show you really and truly can not win, and because they're a bunch of softies they feel like they need to try and please everbody, and I think they learned from stuff with the graphic novel that they can't do it. They can't make him white, they can't make him mexican, they can't make him green, what the fuck dude. I don't know what they settled on.

that arc was good though. and who gives a fuck if rpg npcs are gay.

>Literally who gives a shit

Found the Neogaffer. I'm tired of having cultural marxism shoved in my face with all of its associated postmodernist bullshit when I just want to play tabletop games and NOT take part in your faggy social revolution. Go punch old ladies for being "nazis" elsewhere.

Glad to see that rppr is getting a little bit of love. I really like that they are just regular dudes who game A LOT, just recording the game as it is. I really don't like how most actual play stuff seems to want to go the nerd poker/harmonquest route of dnd sitcom.

Never watched critical role, but it seems exhausting. Plus, listening to people play generic fantasy is boring anymore.

Man, I also can't stand actual plays recorded over skype/Google talk or whatever, because it seems like the recording quality is always immediately shit.

>So this is where the new tumblr/neogaf/reddit cancer I've noticed on Veeky Forums recently came from
How does THAT even follow? If they're talking about tabletop hobby stuff there, and are being catered to to the point where a nontrivial part of Veeky Forums thinks the sky is falling, and explicitly have a distaste for Veeky Forums's cesspit nonsense, then why would they come here?

And more confusing, how do you think they would ever have heard of Veeky Forums?

So I just read up on the whole TAZ graphic novel debacle and jow im just left with questions.
1.how is taako being blue or green anti-semetic?
2.how are people expecting every ethnicity under the sun to be repped by only 3 characters?
3. Why do the McElroys seem to be
crucifying themselves for being white dudes and making decisions?
4.How are people honestly expecting latino culture to be repped by taako if hes never done anything that would tip off a listener to that? Also are people aware that latin america doesnt really exist in the forgotten realms?

Like, I get that they are all batshit insane tumblrites but seriously, how di they expect them to accomplish any of these tasks?

Veeky Forums isn't a secret club and they come here to infect EVERY corner of the internet with their ideology. Fanatics for a cause don't stay home, they go out into the land of the infidel.

Yeah who gives a fuck if rpg npcs are gay indeed? Do you want to explain what that added to the podcast? The constant focus on a gay relationship that ended in sad dead lesbians across the entire arc, then a second from-tumblr-to-broadcast relationship on the moon grabbing constant camera focus and going LITERALLY NOWHERE, and then a THIRD gay relationship with the PC with the angel of death that wasn't funny or interesting at all, tell me again 'who gives a fuck if rpg npcs are gay', I don't care if they're gay, I care if all they are is gay. That's all they were, besides shit, dude. And you know that because you're being willfully ignorant about the whole thing, despite affecting a tone like you don't know anything and you don't care - which you do, fag.

But what about my enlightened Centrism and horseshoe theory? If you complain about SJWs you're automatically as bad as they are

Shut the FUCK up and stop having standards for your hobby! Standards were invented by wh*te cis males to oppress minorities. Acceptance of minorities means acceptance of every steaming turd they squeeze out in your vicinity.

Ignoring the whole 'literally crazy-people talk' aspect of your post:
I never said Veeky Forums is a secret club or anything like that. This site isn't known for Veeky Forums, it's known for /v/, /b/, and /pol/ and those are the boards that are known outside of Veeky Forums and what draw people in. Those are what people 'see' as the representational cross section from outside of Veeky Forums.
And someone couldn't want to go to Veeky Forums's RPG board unless they knew about it first, and someone who just wants to shitpost on tumblr and twitter and reddit about inclusivity over all else is very unlikely to have that 'in,' combined with any desire to go to that place. It's a matter of causality, and there's no Point A to get to this Point C for enough people to actually move the needle on the board's zeitgeist.

>standards means bitching about hackney writing only because of incidental gays
It's starting to smell awful samefag around here.

Do podcasts include video series or does it have to be audio?

>Acq Inc
Get rekt

gotta be audio. I've seen a couple of 'lets play' dnds and they're: fucking awful.

You've found it user, the source, now you must kill the McElroys and stop the madness. Save us user. Save us.

> What are jokes?
It's cool guys, they were only pretending to be pandering attention whores.

>Make your audio non shit.
seconded
first episode of mine has trash audio and most people only check that and then bail out.

youtube.com/watch?v=n0a8P1mMVEo&list=PLRFGEGUhsfgLIHZcCUP89sUYBFSZH1-ty (It's Star Wars: Saga Edition. There's a few other things on the channel as well.)

I've only ever seen let's plays, please share good podcasts because now I'm curious why audio would be better

how dare they not want to upset anyone. what fucking assholes keeping others feelings in mind. truly devious.

Eh, I find it more demeaning that they had to go out of their way to mention Lup was a trans girl. Like, nice, well pandered, could we get on with it now? Plus they killed the name Chalupa because of 'cultural appropriation' so maybe compromising art for the sake of 'keeping feelings in mind' is a black hole from which nothing good can spring.

> polygon
Christ, that place really is cancer. It gets everywhere, kills everything it inhabits and is resilient as fuck

who cares if they took a minute to point out lup was a transgirl? no skin off my back. as for the chalupa stuff sure I would have preferred the joke but its nothing losing sleep over. If making lup trans made some trans people happy and calling her lup made less people upset then good.

I'm upset by this post and want you to keep your unwarrented opinion to yourself. Delete it now.

>Give me one good reason this is not the best Actual Play RPG podcast
D&D.

I'm against being unnecessarily mean. being a dumbass is fair game.

What exactly is 'unnecessarily mean' about the chalupa joke. What the fuck is 'mean' about anything mentioned??

The problem is clearly some shithead blogger knows they can /say/ they're arbitrarily offended by anything and can affect change to someone else artistic works through emotional blackmail. so they do because they're pond scum and know these cucks will do anything they say for the same dumbass non reasons you present.

That shit is a thousand times more egregious to me than 'being mean' and if it doesn't bother you than you're a fucking moron. Sorry if that comes off as 'mean'

sorry mean probably wasnt the right word, what I meant was offensive, i dont get why it was offensive but I dont give enough of a shit to care, again no skin off my back.

Cool apathy, you know what'd be super cool and apathetic, not fucking throwing down your shitty opinion to begin with.

>ONLY because of incidental gays

Name one en media res relationship in TAZ that isn't gay. I'll wait. You fucking can't though.

What EXACTLY do you stand to gain by explaining away godawful pandering, of which we have shaved off the tip of the iceberg here in this thread, as perfectly acceptable and painting the (yes) multiple people in this thread disdainful of the practice as le hateful bigots? Are you a diehard found? Starting to sound like it. TAZ was a dumb rollercoaster which is fine for a podcast but only entertaining for the ride which still shits itself in the last half. You can't change this by greentexting that everyone who doesn't like it is just bad bad bigots.

>diehard found
fan

Are there any out there that as a Pixie as a character?

It's a fun podcast, a bit light on the numbers and stuff but great storytelling. Definitely gives me the feel of a real campaign.

Their viewpoints seem very liberal, especially when someone says "heteronormative" without irony. I don't care, they're not yelling at me about my apathy towards the gender subject and the gender of Taako or the views of the crew doesn't take away from the immense fun I'm having listening through the backlog.

Isn't this the podcast that started shoehorning in MUH GENDERS bullshit because some shitmongers complained about it on Twitter? No thanks.

People just aren't into getting preached to by their D&D podcast.
How would you like it if the rpg podcast you were listening to suddenly stopped the gameplay to seriously discuss white genocide with no context or reason.

Your lying if you say you wouldn't cringe. That's because you don't want to be preached to by your d&d podcast.

How the hell is literally existing at all in a campaign "being preached at". Like how fragile are you and your feelings that seeing a fictional character simply EXIST in the first place makes you upset.

RPGMP3 the original and best, especially the Bradford players

I didn't even realize Lup was trans until they mentioned it in the wrap-up show.

This is an interesting point. I think the only lasting hetero relationship is Scales and his fiancee. Also I have a lot of problems with Lucretia and especially with Griffin's treatment and thoughts on her
>She was never a villainous character, she was always good

>podcast has literally nothing about gender-fluidity bullshit in it for several story arcs
>FAQ episode comes in, Brothers read tweet where someone complains about non-normative gender representation
>"Oh yeah we're totally looking into that."
>next episode introduces a character with said mental illness despite it never being mentioned at any point prior
Because it feels like preaching when it's that clumsy, and that obvious. It's the same reason people are pissed about Iceman being gay all of a sudden. It was never mentioned before, it conflicts with all of his character history, it adds nothing to the story. It's no different in The Adventure Zone podcast. It's lazy, and it's done for socio-political reasons as opposed to improving the storytelling.