Works with actual monsters as protagonists

Could you recommend any medium, especially written, with monsters as protagonists? And I don't mean "misunderstood monsters", which are just heroes with a quirk. I mean creatures that are actually harmful, be it by nature or nurture, that nevertheless have some pathos about them.

Other urls found in this thread:

novelplanet.com/Novel/Overlord-LN
novelplanet.com/Novel/Overlord-WN
clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The film Fallen (1998) is pretty good, not sure if it's what you're looking for though.

I remember watching it and liking it, so it's a worthwhile recommendation. However, the Demon isn't a protagonist, so it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I was looking for an antidote for all the stories where monster protagonists are so tamed they cease being monsters (lots of urban fantasy). I'm also looking for any good works that approach the same material as "Beast: The Primordial" RPG.

How about the Lucifer comic series?

If we're talking figurative monsters - Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky is a classic.

If we're talking literal monsters, there's Goblin Quest (no relation with /qst/), a "subversive" fantasy novel which isn't very good, but still got like 3 sequels. Or Re:Monster - "subversive" isekai manga, which also isn't very good.

Interview with the Vampire (movie) is pretty good, I can't speak for the novel it is based on, but considering the author is Anne Rice, it should be sufficiently inhuman.

Re:monster is shit. Mc is a hypocritical mary sue who "can't do anything wrong." The story is also rushed as fuck and mc never meets a challenge.

>Raping the female prisoner? Sorry, but you can't do that, I will need to kill you!
>Drugging the prisoners first so they start begging for my dick? No problem, also I'm gonna keep all these women for myself. Sorry guys!

>Oh no, someone sliced my arm off!
>A hidden tomb with an overpowered mechanical gauntlet? And it's right next to my base? Just what I needed!

If we're talking Isekai then Overlord is a really good one.

>Lucifer
Another goodie, and it might just fit! Thank you!
>Crime and Punishment
I remember it fondly from school. If there is a work that applies psychological analysis and assessment of consequences to a literal monster, that would be golden!
>Interview with the Vampire
I've seen the movie a long time ago. It fits what I'm looking for.
>Goblin Quest
I trust your judgement, we have the same opinion on Re:Monster.
>Re:Monster
Seen it. I agree it's trash for those very reasons.
>Overlord
It's better than Re:Monster, but it still seems to insulate the protagonist from the consequences (I've seen most of season 1).

how about the spawn comics?

Goddamn it! The fantasy authors need to step up their game!

I've only seen a few issues. Is the protagonist harmful to innocents in addition to being doomed himself?

Nechronia counts sorta.

You're undead cyberhorrors, but so is everyone

Yeah. I mean sure there are issues that aren't written as well and sometimes he saves the day but usually things come back to bite him and others in the ass

The Redeemer

>If we're talking Isekai then Overlord is a really good one.

Anything with the tag "Isekai" can safely be ignored. I'm serious, just reading one of these pieces of shit will give you a brain hemorrhage.

War of the Spider Queen series

Nickelodeon's Ahhh! Real Monsters

Overlord doesnt really work as an anime. It cut out alot of things that add to the story and it's hard to make Ainz's inner thoughts work on screen.
I would recommend the ln.

For the most part, I agree with you. Most Isekai devolve into boring powerfantasies pretty quickly. However, there are some good ones out there, like Konosuba, Re:zero and Overlord. The idea is interesting, but the execution is almost always shit.

Worm might fit

Where do I get the ln in english?

Taylor only really becomes a monster near the end of Worm, and nobody should read the end of Worm.

It's pretty easy to find online, light novel websites are starting to have an easier time building themselves up the same way anime and manga sites do. Here's one link for most of overlord currently out

the light novel
novelplanet.com/Novel/Overlord-LN

the original web novel, obviously ahead but there are changes and writing is rougher

novelplanet.com/Novel/Overlord-WN

either way, japanese writing is a somewhat different to conventional novels, so be warned that it'll be a strange read if you're not used to it

yeah but you can see where it's going to go from pretty early on

The Exorcist?

You only say that because you're relying on hindsight.
I, meanwhile, never actually finished Worm in its entirety. I just went far enough and used spoilers and a bet of reading ahead to make sense of it all, and I can say without doubt that Worm should be read up to the timeskip (at most), and not a chapter longer.

There's probably more Vidya than other mediums on the subject. VTM: Bloodlines , Stubbs the Zombie, and the Dungeon Keeper games spring to mind.

Not really. She's just better at justifying her horrific actions earlier in the story, and you sympathize because she's the narrator.

Like when she carves out Shen's eyes, "as a warning" but tells herself that it's a totally normal and good thing to do.

The two books that spring to mind immediately are John Gardner's Grendel, and C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters

Don't you mean Valefor's eyes? Cause that was totally justified.

>For the most part, I agree with you. Most Isekai devolve into boring powerfantasies pretty quickly. However, there are some good ones out there, like Konosuba, Re:zero and Overlord. The idea is interesting, but the execution is almost always shit.

The best Isekai generally approaches the bottom tier of the genre. The very premise (much like urban fantasy) is fucked from its inception.

>The best Isekai generally approaches the bottom tier of the genre. The very premise (much like urban fantasy) is fucked from its inception.
I wouldn't say that, but it does seem to act as a magnet for lazy writers.

Does Godzilla count?

>works that approach the same material as "Beast: The Primordial" RPG
Look up Little Fears 2e.

I think most if not every World of Darkness fits.

>Re:zero
>Good

It's late, Digi. Go to bed.

She pour maggots in his eyes
Carved out lungs when she knew it would grow back
The morality of both is something Taylor justifies but the story remains vague on, its up to us to say if it was right or wrong

That's the twist in SOMA. You think you're human for the first 30 minutes, then spend the rest of the game finding out how inhuman you are.

>I'm a robot?!
>...No, I'm a male human consciousness uploaded into someone's mangled dead body.
>They're my sidekick's former lesbian lover? WTF?
>I can overcome this obstacle by filling a diving suit with bloody gibs, dumping in nanobot viscera, and copying myself into it. Here goes.

Depending on your actions and whether you think the antagonist is evil you're horribly monstrous.

Time of Legends Nagash trilogy has lich-in-the-making as one of the protags, if you count that

The Last Werewolf trilogy by Glen Duncan - especially the third book where the focus is on a different character who appears in the second book.

Remind me, who is the protagonist in the Exoricst?

Word Bearers Omnibus is pretty much the only 40k novel about Chaos Marines that doesn't try to justify them as hurt antigeroes. Marduk and his men are satanic superhumans they should be. The writing is not diamond, but it is a pleasant read if you want the protagonist to be evil to the core. Also, the explosions and gunfire don't fill half the pages, so that's an improvement as far as 40k novels.

There was that one time she shot a baby. And that time she carved a dude's eyes out and filled them with maggots, after she used brown recluses and black widows to bite his dick until it rotted and fell off.

Taylor is really good at rationalizing her actions, and she seems surprised when people are scared of her, but the truth is that she comes out the gates already vicious and unsympathetic. A combination of months of prolonged cruelty and the way a Trigger event fucks with your psyche left her fucked in the head before the story started.

Yo who's riding the Ward train right now?

>she shot a baby
Hol up hol up hol up
What?! Taylor dindu nuffin of the sort

B.P.R.D. issues that focus on Johann are like that.

There really was a sense that he just wasn't human anymore and was slipping further and further away.

I cannot th8nk of the game right now, but there was a ttrpg kickstarted within the last two years where the pcs take the role of humans turned to monsters, escaped from captivity (maybe changeling: the lost style?) and as a pc you have a choice either to dive into your monstrous nature, or turn away from it. Apparently both options have mechanical effects but it's possible to play either way and still he a solid, playable character.

She shoots and kills Aster rather than let one of the Nine have her (and also hold her hostage, stalling the heroes with the End of the World on the line).

It's one of those scenarios where, yeah, it's infinitely better to be shot in the head and killed than to be killed at the hands of motherfucking Grey Boy, but you just SHOT A BABY.

Oh. Right.
Still did literally nothing wrong.

That's the thing. She's not wrong, but she is vicious, ruthless, and generally monstrous when she has something to fight for.

The Thing aka Who Goes There, told from the creatures perspective.

clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/

This! I'm glad someone else has read this.

This. I love the idea of the terrifying otherworldly monster being just as baffled and terrified by the humans as they are by it.

You are a saint.

>"Beast: The Primordial" RPG.
>Good works

With all due respect to your testes. Like hell that's a good work.

Worm might fit, but Twig definitely does.

It's literally the point of the whole story, Frankenstein being killed by his own Monster.

First, I think you mean tastes, unless you want to talk to they're dick next. Second, they didn't claim that Beast was good. They asked for good things that deal with the same or similar stuff to it, implying that they think Beast is bad but the premise has potential.

The Paradise Lost is mostly written from the perspective of Satan, but you have to stomach reading Poetry written by a blind guy in the year 1667.

OP speaking. I'm regularly checking this thread, so thank you to everyone who joined in.
I've read it before. It's amazing. Recommended to anyone who cares.
That's correct. And thank you for the benefit of doubt.

I am a big fan of the original short story. Someone on Veeky Forums or /co/ recommended "The Things" to me. I have been passing it on ever since.

Once he gets some editing and sorts out the pacing in the middle section it should bridge pretty well. The major problem was that we lost a lot of the investment in the story when Taylor joined the Wards and her joining them was basically skimmed over in favour of setting up the end of the world plot. It'd be much better if Wildbow had written the middle part as more than just a bridge between street level and cosmic.

The ending was fairly good, but it didn't compare very well to the first third of the story, mostly because we'd lost said investment. Also the second showing of the Slaughterhouse Nine didn't have nearly the impact it should have because all the major horror characters had been either killed off or their weaknesses made public.

The Siberian is not scary once you know how to beat her.

Franz Kafka, The Metamorphosis

Tomie, by Junji Ito.

Changeling, by Roger Zelazney, told from the perspective of a demon tasked with defending a fledgling mage. One of the only second person narrator books in existence.

You want John Gardner's "Grendel." He's a monstrous being suffering from existential dread and crippling loneliness. Despite how sympathetic Grendel is, he's still something that EATS PEOPLE and grows to enjoy torturing and tormenting humans. There's also a neat scene where he talks to a non-linear Dragon.

Planescape: Torment comes to mind. The succubus Is a really good example of trope bending and the angel is a bbeg

While the floating, talking skull from hell is actually one of the most bro tier characters in a story.

All of the monsters are intelligent, all of the evil assholes are trying to do good, even the chaotic evil party member wasn't always insane.

Go play it. There's a reason that setting survives as a classic, and it sure as hell isn't the modules.

I feel like Paradise Lost would benefit enormously from a quality adaptation, but nobody's ever made one and the only attempt went nowhere.

I’m riding the Ward train, Kingdome Come is an instant favorite.

It wasn't just the pacing; I couldn't stand the very idea of the Golden Morning. If you have an opponent that powerful, you can't defeat them the traditional way and have anything even close to what the story originally was left standing. Hell, most Worm /fanfictions/ deal with the Golden Morning better than Worm itself did (assuming they didn't do the right thing and drop the whole concept like a wet sack of shit).

And the ending's gonna be EVEN WORSE when Wildbow's done his editing, and makes it obvious that Contessa's bullet put Taylor in a coma and Taylor's happy ending is actually just happening in her mind

The maggots were justified. Valefor could hypnotize people with a glance, and it was obvious that if someone didn't blind him at least temporarily, he was gonna kill them all. Put any normal person in that situation, and many of them would do the exact same thing that Taylor did. It's not cruelty or ruthlessness, it's the least bad option available.

Also, what do you mean by Ward Train?

Came here to post this. Also, user demonstrates having patrician taste with that pic.

I don't know, OP. There are some things here and there that might be what you're looking for; I'm thinking about "Cronos" by Del Toro, and Mr. Quinlan from The Strain series. Also, check "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and its take on Mr.Hyde.
There's also the novel "God's Demon" by Wayne Barlowe. I haven't read it, but the main character is a demon lord yearning for his former life in Heaven, and works towards the goal of going back. I don't know if that counts as a monster for you, but it's something. Also,reviews say it's pretty good.

There must surely be more monster-starring media out there that isn't badly written fetish erotica or edgy anime stuff.