Hey, Veeky Forums. First thread ever on any Veeky Forums board...

Hey, Veeky Forums. First thread ever on any Veeky Forums board. I was reading another thread where the OP was asking why a 'hard work' fantasy setting is 'kino', and figured I'd ask something that's been bugging me for some time. Tried reddit, but you know how that goes.

Are there any "self-improvement" settings for RPGs or any other works of fiction? I've been trying to create one myself, but I wanna see if any other examples out there exist. Eh, might make a "let's make x setting" thread soon.

Yeah, so any sort of SI RPG or anything else would be cool. Or we can shoot the shit. It's whatever.

What are you even saying?

What?

Can you better define "self-improvement settings"?

Are we talking about Veeky Forums world?

Ah, no problem. Self-improvement here means more action-adventure focused. A setting to do with growing stronger and reaching new levels/forums/evolutions whatever. And yes, DBZ is the obvious go-to, but Goku is a Stu, and thus not AS interesting as something off the beaten trail.

Does this answer you or am I sounding dumb af?

i don't get it

See the post above yours.

So you nean self improvement like in leveling up or spiritual or what?

I get it, OP.

I think your best bet is to worry less about specific systems and more about finding a DM or group interested in the same kind of things as you. An understanding I'm clear progression and character growth, which could be done in almost any game with level ups and character progression as long as you had a DM who is pushing for the importance of those systems instead of putting it to the sidelines.

I would also be on the lookout for specific games about that concept, such as a DBZ tabletop homebrew or a One Piece homebrew and so on. Or try to create your own with those themes.

I know it's hard to describe but I've had a similar urge to run a game like that, so you're not alone.

Both. Actually, I got a way to describe it. The light/dark thing from Kingdom Hearts, the action and levelling up shit from DBZ, and the spiritual shit from....Avatar?

I'd much rather create my own setting. I've noticed a few of those "let's make x a setting" threads. Glad you get it though. Now I know I'm not 100% crazy (more like 99% but I digress). Not sure who would show up though, since it confuses a lot of people. I do wanna throw my hat in for your potential SI RPG, by the way.

I'm having a hard time thinking of any RPG that doesn't include some form of character advancement. It's a central component of D&D, and thereby proliferated to most games. Everything from GURPS to Fate to Exalted to Numenera has characters growing stronger, and typically we're talking about character growth not far removed from what you might find in DBZ, with modestly strong characters eventually gaining enough power to potentially rival gods.

Yes, but those are more mechanics. Like someone else said, it's more about a setting rather than mechanics. You have a point though, so I will keep it real.

I'd like to talk about this with you more. Do you have a Discord?

If you do not; it's a free service.

No problem. I've sent you a request. My name has all underscores. Keep an eye out.

Would both of you be discussing about setting more or system? I'd be interested in talking setting, but I don't think I'd be a great help for mechanics.

I'm more for setting, BUT I'm going to dabble in both, as I want something new and fresh that has yet to be done. So if you're just wanting setting talk, feel free to drop in and hash words.

>I'm having a hard time thinking of any RPG that doesn't include some form of character advancement.
Engine Heart without the optional advancement rules.

Forgot to mention we're in discord right now, if you wanted to join.

Unfortunately it's quite late where I am, so I'll maybe join in tomorrow.

Enjoy your night. Get some rest.

Burning Wheel has a lifepath system where your character has abilities based on their lived experiences, and your character grows based on what skills they use, improving over time. It likely is good for what you want.

"kino" is /tv/ slang for "overrated shlock".

the idea is that since "Kino" means "cinema" in German, a pretentious, delusional moron would use that term as a compliment to elevate whatever dumb movie he likes.

Are there even any DBZ tabletop systems out there?

lurk moar

Let's change the subject, Veeky Forums.

What is the power level scale based on? What is one "Power Level"?

Let's make our own thread instead., Veeky Forums.

Once this thread dies maybe. Or you can do it.

>Hey, Veeky Forums. First thread ever on any Veeky Forums board.

It's obvious, your online accent is really thick and it's simultaneously kind of difficult to understand what you're trying to say, but very easy to tell when you, personally, are speaking.
And it's 2017 and I don't know if having this kind of experience should be either super exciting from a cyber-punk-anthropological sense or depressing because I've spent so way too much time on this site.

Huh? Oh, no. I meant for you changing the subject. I was inviting you to make your own thread discussing powerlevels, since this one is about SI fiction/RPG settings.

...Okay then.

Why do you desire a game like this?

I don't recall there being a rule saying I needed a reason to want certain things. Was I caught unawares?

No you don't need a reason but it seems very strange. Why not play a game with a narrative arc or a typical save the world plot? Why do you need to have a character go that far in advance? It goes beyond the scope you need for most games and not really necessary. Wouldn't you want a more focused shorter and smaller game experience instead?

Maybe I'm just weird. The examples you gave simply aren't enough for me. Nothing against those who DO enjoy those things.

But /tv/ uses it unironical--oh wait.

Ars magica or GURPS are good systems for this. Ars is focused on long-term play, and GURPS has good rules for progress over time.

I've been meaning to homebrew an RPG where PCs are villagers rather than - oh wait you said setting. Good luck.