Why hasn't your character been working their way up the ranks of the Adventurers' Guild to take higher-ranked missions?

Why hasn't your character been working their way up the ranks of the Adventurers' Guild to take higher-ranked missions?

Other urls found in this thread:

bato.to/reader#ad0c1a5775c7344d_15
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Kill yourself.

There’s no PROMOTIONS if there are no witnesses.

Too busy pondering wat do with elf slaves

Gotta kill daddy and steal his land.

The Adventurer's Guild collapsed recently due to sexual allegations made against the Guild leader and many high-level members.
But it was pretty gay to start with, so no great loss.

>Inb4 300 replies of /a/utists complaining about Goblin Slayer.

Non union scabs get better gigs. It's a bit more leg work to get to smaller frontier towns but there's no union dues.

fallen paladin squire

My character made it top rank by sleeping with everything with authority.

I actually just finished a two year long campaign based around this trope
The characters joined an adventurer's guild called Ivoryfield and journeyed across the land, taking on tasks and solving mysteries.

I was heavily inspired by pic related, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (the first ones), and Monster Hunter. It was a ton of fun, and the players really enjoyed it. 8/10, would recommend.

AMA I guess.

It's really more like a YMCA for people whose job requires killing monsters.

There's no adventurers guild in SPACE.

Because my character is not and would never be part of an Adventurer's Guild. She goes where she's needed to do what needs to be done. And she doesn't need to be of any given rank to do them.

When I wrote "Good" on my character sheet, I meant it. A good person doesn't ignore problems just because they're a lower "rank". And I meant it when I wrote "Chaotic", too. Chaotic people don't join guilds that try and restrict what they can or can't do.

I fucking hate Adventurer's Guilds as a concept.

Too edgy

>Too edgy
What? Nothing in that post is edgy.

You mean the EXPLORER'S GUILD which is a actual legitimate profession and means exploring the world charting out places for people of multiple classes to later raid for loot and/or loot those areas themselves if they look like they put up minimal enough resistance?

Adventurer's Guilds are kinda dumb as a concept. If my character is going tonberry part of an organisation, I instead choose one that makes sense such as a mercenary band/PMC, knight order, crime syndicate, hunter's lodge, arcane academy, cartographer's guild, museum/library field research division, or church clergy.

Not him, but how is that even edgy? He's just someone roaming around and solving people's problems like a proper Protagonist, and just doesn't get mixed up in silly politics and guild shenanigans.

I’m basically the richest man in the world.

You think you can tell me what i can or cannot do?

Because he just FUCKING HATES GOBLINS!

Because he's plotting to burn down the guild hall.
They left him to rot in a demonic plane for 2 years
Yes he is spiteful

No he means the Adventurer's guild. Adventuring is a legitimate profession that many people have taken part in, I'm sure you've heard of it.

Holy shit I didn't notice that. I'm not sure whether that's cool or stupid.

Some people see "CG drow" and assume edge. In actually when I made my drow thief I intentionally made her as anti-edge as possible. She had a basically happy childhood. Her father is still alive and runs an inn. Her childhood friends are still alive and living good lives in her hometown. She became a thief due to ONE angsty decision in her life (she ran away from home after encountering one half-elf who's parents had been killed by drow and so who attacked her on sight without thinking - he was stopped and apologized but after that point Iliira, being a kid at the time, became convinced that everyone in her hometown actually hated her, so she stole a horse and ran away to the city). In the city itself she lived as basically the Artful Dodger and became something of the mascot for the thieves' guild there.

And she became an adventurer because she burgle'd something she shouldn't have (she thought it was a paperweight) from someone she shouldn't have (a powerful sorcerer) and needed to lie low for awhile.

Her personality is closest to a combination of Disney's Aladdin; Autolycus from Hercules and Xena; and Lina Inverse from The Slayers.

My next character, though, is going to be a dhampir cleric with MAXIMUM EDGE. As a joke.

i bet ten bucks Gobbo slabbo is a retelling of author's D&D campaign.

And Slabbo himself is DMPC.

Oh, I guess her mom died not long after she was born. But then, so did Belle's mom, or Ariel's, or Aladdin's, or Jasmine's. I don't think anyone would claim that they're edgy.

I...may approach D&D games as though they were Disney movies.

Right on the first point, wrong on the second. He was a player in it, as far as I'm aware.

Because I don’t play dumb anime games.

Why do people keep making good Drow?

Why do people keep thinking Drow would reasonably have grown up on the surface.

What causes autism?

Because people like seeing redemption stories, and the Drow are the easiest targets of that, what with them not actually having some innate predisposition to good or evil.

Also, I guess some people just like the race's stats but don't want to be douchebags.

It's the Drizz't cycle gone full circle
>Drizz't is written, making noble and good Drow popular
>Eventual backlash against all the shitty Drizz't clones and clichés
>People try making edgy "true" Drow instead to spite shitty Drizz't fans
>People forget Drizz't, but now everything is saturated with edgy as fuck Drow characters
>People get tired of that stale and annoying shit, so make good guy Drow characters
>The cycle repeats

Actually, that's exactly what they're doing. They have to in order to qualify to go in that megadungeon for their heart's desire.

>Remove Drow
>The cycle is broken

>Why do people keep making good Drow?

In my case?

I got into D&D in a roundabout way. I was at a book store in the late 90s/early 2000s - my early teens - in the fantasy section and came across a book entitled "Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn", which had as a tagline on its back: "Bhaal is dead!"

So I got the book and read it. As I was a young teen at the time, I thought it was pretty good (I have since revised that opinion). But what I thought was REALLY cool were the dark elves in it.

When I learned that Baldur's Gate II was based on a video game, I of course got it and the first game. This was my first exposure to RPGs where you get to build your own character, as opposed to something like Legend of Zelda. And when I rolled up my first character, I decided:

- Thief, because I liked being able to pick locks
- Elf, because they get a bonus to Dexterity and didn't look silly (unlike halflings)
- Female, because I liked the character model more and was like 13 at the time
- And finally, I went with the drow coloration of black skin and white hair and just pretended that my elf was a drow.
- I named her Iliira Ii'ilmerias, becuase I thought it sounded drow.

Note that this means that I may well be the last person on Earth who came up with a drow character independently of Drizzt Do'Urden, as I had no idea of his existence yet.

Later I got into D&D, at the start of 3rd Edition. Naturally my first character in it was my Baldur's Gate character. Realizing that most DMs probably wouldn't like the idea of a character who's the child of the God of Murder, I divorced Iliira's backstory from Baldur's Gate entirely, keeping only the idea that she was raised by a human foster father. By then I knew of the reputation drow had, so I deliberately made her anti-edge.

And basically Iliira has been my "default" D&D character ever since. 16 years, more or less.

...seriously in hindsight the Baldur's Gate novels are awful.

Oh, I forgot: I made Iliira Chaotic Good in Baldur's Gate because I didn't like being Evil and, more to the point, noticed that if you are Good (or rather, maintain a high Reputation, which is functionally the same thing), you get solid mechanical benefits, like discounts at stores, better rewards from people, and so on. Plus I just couldn't play an Evil character, it left me feeling like an asshole.

I chose Chaotic Good over Neutral Good because...I dunno, I think I flipped a coin. And Lawful Good wasn't possible because Baldur's Gate doesn't let you roll up Lawful Good Thieves (which is understandable).

>Adventurers' Guild

a higher ranking guild member hates them and talks shit about them whenever a promotion comes up

>Having to go trough an intermediary to find work
>Giving them a cut of your loot.
>Then paying taxes for being able to keep practicing your already stupidly dangerous trade or for "protection" which could range from orc insurance to just not having a bunch of high level murderhobos come burn everything you own.
I can't really imagine an adventurers guild being anything more than a glorified thieves guild.

There is no guild, only despair.

too busy with rape

>Remove dick
>The cuck is broken

But why?

I want to meet the kind of person who religiously reposts the same tired shitpost for weeks on end. What kind of life does this person lead?

The same kind of life everyone else leads. A weak, fleeting, mortal existence devoid of permanency, meaning, or finality.

I imagine some people would take issue with that, user.

>Wanting to help everyone within their capacity without having to worry whether they're the correct rank to be authorized to do so
>Edgy

Nice untranslated VN.

why not?

If you have to ask that, I have to wonder what's wrong with you.

>Being this new

Wow its like you dont even enjoy rape. What are you, some kind of faggot?

> Why hasn't your character been working their way up the ranks of the Adventurers' Guild to take higher-ranked missions?
Guys, deal with me here for a moment and hear me out.
No, really guys, listen. I know this may sound ridiculous, what if-- what if instead of working my way up the ranks of the Adventurers' Guild to take higher-ranked missions, I simply-- I simply take those higher-ranked missions anyway?

I think the guilds have bad enough administration. You could probably do whatever anyway.

Source on that?

I really fucking hate how Japanese people are so obsessed with structure.

>Hey, you know what's really adventurous? Formalized duties and hierarchy!

Come the fuck on man. It's almost depressing how sterile that approach is, because it strongly implies the writers never had any conception at all of just being individuals. They always do that shit, construct narratives around highly formalized hierarchies that gut the sense of adventure from their stories.

>Being an adventurer is just a fucking job.
>Being a superhero is just a fucking job.
>Being a demon is just a fucking job.

It legit makes me sad.

Goblin Slayer fags please go, your threads are shit because you are shit. But this is not how you solve this problem.

There is literally nothing wrong with adventurerer's guilds, just as there is nothing wrong with giant lizards that can talk, breathe fire, and fly.

They will inevitably repeat the cycle all over again with [insert villianous race, ethnicity, nationality, or other tribe here]

The Drizz't Cycle is not exclusive to Drow only. It is ever present in any setting

You can't just crop manga and then not provide sauce.

This. They bring all the tasty rapebait in one place to ensure that all the sexy girls can be raped by manbearpigs in one attack.

iqdb/saucenao actually don't find anything, hot damn

bato.to/reader#ad0c1a5775c7344d_15

>Why do people keep thinking Drow would reasonably have grown up on the surface.
Why would you raise a family in the Underdark if you had any other possible option?

>isekai
>skill
>cheat
Am I better off ignoring it, or is it better than the titles implies?

It has a pretty fun MC, and it's better than 90+% of isekai shit I've checked out, so you might as well if you have the time. It's only 4 chapters, so it's not that much of an investment

Because after you adventure all the ranked adventurers to take their place you have to date the guildmaster.

Well, DM here but half my party is currently planning to open up a soup kitchen as a front to run a a recruitment agency for crack heads, one of them is considering assasinating another PC, and the last guy is just doing his own thing. There's also a little girl they pass around the party each week.

Because the adventurer's guild has become an instrument of a scheming puppeteer.

Sauce?

I am!

The Adventurer's Guild is a great community, I love being able to just drop in and join a game as they come.

I'm not a union guy, freelance is the only way to make a living as an adventurer.

Too busy keeping the timestream from falling apart. Besides, I'm working on a time/space level, basically anything the adventurer's guild would have me going to do is so beneath me that it's a waste of my time.

>Why do people keep making good drow?
Backlash to all the "REAL" drow pc's like said. Also, people don't like hearing "All X are Y." That's why drow exist in the first place, as a rebutal to "All Elves are Good."
>Why do people keep thinking Drow would reasonably have grown up on the surface.
Implying the setting you play is the only one that people use.
>What causes autism?
Ask your mother what she did while she was pregnant with you, and we'll have our answer.

Because he's tracking down a mad detective that turned into a serial killer so that he could investigate his own crimes. That guy needs to be stopped, but he doesn't have the funding to hire the kind of broad network of detectives and private investigators he'd need to track a man down when he's fled around the country, so he's taken the odd job of accompanying a few warriors on their adventures and employing his skills.

Besides, he's already a part of the Prosecutoral Investigation Committee. He's a lawyer, not that you could tell with legs like those.

Get a blog m8

Only 4 chapters have been translated, read it yourself if you have some time to kill and don't mind leaving stories unfinished. (btw I recommend using Tachiyomi to read manga on android if that applies to you)

setting doesn't have and Adventurers' Guild.

>Autolycus from Hercules and Xena

I remember almost about Autolycus other than that I thought he was cool. Mostly because I was rather young when those two shows were on TV and still showing new episodes.

Just found a tasty pasta.

It’s a conspiracy you guys. The guild uses it meaningless rankings and promises of adventure to lure young and able bodied people to join them. This leaves their original villages lacking in workforce. Then they send said able bodied youth back to similar, but not the same villages, to do jobs they would have done for free for family or at a cheaper price. They guilds then take a portion of the fees for their own sake even though they’re the reason the villages couldn’t handle those jobs to begin with. Worst yet, the guild deliberately poorly manages everything, providing no training or resources, so a simple job a halfway trained team can do will take multiple teams wiping. This is so people think of the threats as way more threatening, ensuring that everyone is too ill-defended by a lack of young manpower to defend themselves this reliant on their purposefully poor services, and thus keeping them both constantly having a stream of jobs and making sure nobody else can. The guild is a conspiracy. They want to weaken everyone else so they can profit.

There isn't one yet. I run multiple short campaigns in the same setting with the idea that the various PCs are the movers and shakers of the world. I've been trying to get at least ONE of the damn parties to start up a Guild but my players are content being murder hoboes that do nothing but kill baddies and acquire treasure. Only one of them has ever shown an interest in the world beyond "Travel, Kill, Loot, Repeat" and he just wants to go back home with magic weapons and take over his barbarian tribe.

I'm thinking of having the next short campaign be about the founding of the Guild by the less trigger-happy PCs from previous campaigns. Players would make 3 characters each and be able to choose which ones go on each leg of the quest. They might gravitate to an A-team, a B-team, and so forth, kinda like Fairy Tail's structure in the first half of the show before it became dimension swapping and tournament arcs.

Someone asked, I answered. The lesson here is: don't ask a question if you don't actually want to hear the answer.

In short, Autolycus was your classic gentleman thief with a heart of gold. Imagine Aladdin at age 30 rather than 18 or however old Aladdin is in the movie.

Even if you're lazy and want a consistent quest-giver, there's a thousand better ways to fluff it.

Explorers league where rich people, people from an ethnicity with a mysterious past, and religious officials pay you you go reclaim holy-sites and give them a share of the artifacts you find.

A portal that leads to what is either other planes, or different places in the the same world. The portal cycles between different locations, and there's a different location every week or whatever. If you get in early you risk being overwhelmed and ignorant of the land, if you get in too late you risk everyone else having already taken all the easy pickings.

Creepy man in robe/animal that talks for some reason/face that appears from the ground or walls shows up and gives creepily specific requests.

Multiple gangs in a city. Some faction are tied to a religion, some an ethnicity, some an ideology, one faction is the monsters on the edge of /under the city.

You're basically knight of the round table. You must balance politics, moral ideals, and adventure to avoid plunging the region you've been chosen to represent into ruin.

You have no formal organization, but you have a consistent enemy that's either a person, organization, or type of threat. You don't need a quest-giver, all you need is rumour of where signs of your foe have been sighted.

The world or region is either unsettled or apocalyptic. Your goal is to give civilization a grip to claim or reclaim this land, and to get personal recognition, uncover mysteries and gain power while doing so.

Also, an adventurers guild is not the same thing as a mercenary company.
A mercenary company is organized, you don't pick and choose jobs, may be tied to specific religion ethnicity or royal family, involves proper armies instead of 1-7 snowflakes, probably doesn't have a public and constantly staffed building with a qt beurocrat gril that exists to extend the protagonists harem.

But wait, there'ore more.
You can be a squad in an army where war strategy resembles WW1 and post WW1, thus allowing for squads and not always needing order from a superior to be a regular thing.
You are given a suggestion or 2 by other command or from gathered information. You can go against your armies wishes to get an objective like defend a village they've told you to abandon, at the cost of losing favour with command, but gaining favour with the village, villages friendly to that village, and people who don't believe in allowing 1 man to die to save 2.
At some point in the story, you are given an opportunity to switch sides, desert, or to be involved in your faction's civil war.

You're men who need to eat, have a girl back home to send money to, etc. so you go around searching for whatever work pays the best, and try to avoid making yourselves too much of a target.

You're in the afterlife or a prison planet, and your goal is to get out.

Adventurers guilds feel too plastic and lazy to me.

Dragons are exciting, a part of old myths, and there's no realistic and good substitute

Adventurers guilds come from a society that's been so corrupted by their modern life that their fantasy is based on rankings and generic organizations, and there are many better substitutes

>ask your mother
>i'm 12 years old btw

such a cute snowflake
here's a cute paw for you

Is anti-Adventurer Guild posting replacing anti-BBEG posting?

>join the adventures guild
>I’m literally space pope
>why tho

No, because no one really makes threads about how they hate adventurer's guilds. They just show up in threads that try and proclaim their merits. Although there are none. Merits to adventurers guilds, that is.

A snowflake that user may well play, but it isn't edgy.

Because someone thought it was a smart idea to use mind controlling magic to make guild contractors tell the guild that we did our job instead of doing it.

Let's just say we're no longer welcomed and also on the run in that nation.

Because Adventurer's Guilds are shit.

We prefer to be called mercenaries thank you very much

Because guilds are for collectivist leeches, I'm a freelance scab.

I wonder if anyone ever seduced the receptionist before.

Lancer, all the time. Why he even bothers when he already has Mage in his party, I don't know.

because unions can burn in hell

>Adventures' Guild
Ugh.