/bgg/ Board Game General - looking for more players edition

Last thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Holiday coming up for those in the states, are you planning on bringing any games to dinner? For those not in the states, do you game on holidays or is it just eating/drinking/yelling at each other? Do you convert family members, did they you, or are they just lost causes? Any family favorites if you do? What's that game you avoid like the plague lest it descend into STEEV-like stabfests?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zSsbOJ62itY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've converted most of my family members. This year we'll be playing some Trains: Rising Sun (my mom's favorite game) and some Imperial, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite games. I also just got KD:M and I'm thinking about trying to get them to play that but I haven't put any models together yet so we'd be playing with models from other games and IDK if I wanna do that.

The only game my family won't play again is BSG. They took it really hard when they found out who the cylon was.

Where'd you find Flowerfall for $3?

Anyways, gonna go a bit crazy since the MM sale was hot trash. I'm picking up Save the Penguin, Coconuts, and Click Clack Lumberjack. Would you guys say that's just one too many shitty dexterity games?

>Board games with family?
Nah. I'd love to play games, but it'll never happen unfortunately. The only "board games" my family would want to play is poker and fuckin' bingo.

Direct from Asmadi, they've got a lot of their older games on markdown (Fealty is underrated area control/abstract) and they don't charge shipping so it's a pretty decent deal to grab 1 or 2 small boxes from them. Of course the downside is you're buying Asmadi which has horrid production values, but I almost feel like that's half the point

>Board games with family
I'd love to but they are pretty hostile towards anything the requires learning

I brought home Camel Up. Carcassone, Kingdomino, Rhino Hero, Pitchcar Mini,and King of Tokyo so hopefully I can find something they like playing

LETS FUCKING DO IT DAMMIT

tried to convert brothers kids, accidentally converted my dad instead
>they're all 5 states away

I'm actually going to invite a game group member to our house for thanksgiving because his family is in another country and he might not have plans. will prob fire up some two player, but otherwise nothing special.

flick em up wooden is gud tho

I fucking love Troyes. The only goddamn board game to use dice properly.

There's also Kemet, that uses d4 well.

>missed the part on going nuts over dex games
Nah, they're good fillers for when people are still showing up, or need a food/smoke/bathroom break. Solid for after a really meaty game when your brain is fried. That and seriously drunk people/tiny people, it's useful for babysitting

Nice OP - Boards before hoes!

good call getting rid of trainshit first

What the FUCK is this bullshit image? Took me way too long to find bgg this time.

>Holiday coming up for those in the states, are you planning on bringing any games to dinner?
Staying home with the wife, putting finishing touches on our micro-game and probably going to play it.

>not filtering the catalog
It's OC from some other user, and been used at least once before as the OP. Now tell me more about this micro-game

didjatrysearchcatalogctrlfanythingyoudumbcunt\

its says board game general in the approved font right fucking there at the top

shit just got real

>approved font
Thank you for that user, best laugh all day

You monster.

Tell me more about how I can see that shit in pic related.

Pocket Galactic (working title) is a mint-tin 4X game. The main goal behind it was to legitimately fit a gigantic game with cutthroat strategy into your pocket or purse.

It uses Left and Right cogs for actions like in Empire Engine and you move up to 3 ships around a quaint little galaxy of 8 quadrants at a time. There are racial techs, home planet powers, resource gathering, a 12-tech tree, a way to make advanced ships and advanced engine cogs.

Basic flow is you rotate your gears into actions that you take in game, ultimately attempting to "score" sectors of space and take the card. Each requires a different amount of resources that you get from producing on colonized planets and each one has a number of VP. You can get VP from other sources but once 7VP worth of sector cards are scored on one side, the game ends and a winner is determined.

Most importantly, it fits in an altoids tin.

Yeah I'll admit it's not great work, but I don't make OP images, I just slapped a title on that one after some other user made it. Plus I may or may not have been drunk at the time, never can be sure. I'll re-edit it in some really garrish pink or neon green something before the next time I use it so it pops more.

Game sounds nice, you planning on dropping a PnP option or putting it up on one of the print on demand/game crafter sites?

Looks fine to me.

>how I can see that shit in pic related

It's like I've told ye shits before, stop trying so hard with these thread images. Just find a pic vaguely related and use big ass font. And no, those black and white military general pics are bad too

>open Veeky Forums
>use catalog
>Ctrl+F bgg

Whilst I do agree that the image isn't a very good one, it really doesn't even matter in the end

Agreed, but it sure makes finding it that much harder when you're a phone poster

don't judge me, work is boring some times

Doesn't the catalog have a default search option?

If it does I've never seen it. I use a shitty iphone if that makes a difference.

you can literally type Veeky Forums.org/tg/bgg and get sent to the already filtered catalog

5c bruh

>we hit the bump limit overnight because some user wasn't convinced I was comic sans user and so I grabbed the shittiest OP image ever
I don't know whether to laugh or cry

Before
>bluetooth
I'm using it as a hotspot.

Default search, ctrl+f or
FortChan.ork/tg/bgg
It's like you're all philistines ffs, I mean that^ is just a tile in my chrome browser, one tap, no whining

can't see search where is the icon?

If I have to choose between the second edition of Kingsburg and Troyes, which should I go for? Is Troyes less luck based? How does Kingsburg scale with 5 players? Opinions please, kind anons.

That is kind of odd the search button isnt in that image, but I did find it just now on phone. Cheers

why not both

been out of the loop with board game news all year because of my new job.
any good games that came out this year?

Troyes is one of the only games to use dice in an interesting way, like some other user said. Kingsburg is not ultra replayable. I'd almost say Troyes is just a more interesting version of KB in every conceivable way.

Really the only game I can think of that's worth getting is Rising Sun, which won't be out until next year. So you didn't miss anything.

What's the best board game based on a work of Tolkien's?

Everyone is gonna say War of the Ring because it's basically just the entire LotR story in a board game. If you want the theme to come through it doesn't get much better.

War of the Ring (second edition) and the FFG co-op LCG are really the only notable ones.
The LCG is hard as balls.

Are there any old-school Hobbit board games?

Ya there are a ton. Just search on board game geek. No idea if they're any good. I found a copy of Knizia's Lord of the Rings board game at a thrift shop for two bucks I have though. It's super old and pretty abstract but they guy who did the art for the game did concept art for the movies so the game looks great and is an interesting enough co op if you're into abstracts and like looking at LotR themed shit.

with black friday around the corner, i figured i should take advantage of it and buy a couple of games.
any good must have games thats good for 5+ people? theme,style or whatever doesnt really matter. just as long as it can be fun for a group mixed with casual and experienced board game players.

Uhhhhhh
There's a new version of clank
Everyone's crazy about gloomhaven, but it's a super long legacy game so it's not like objectivity will be around
Twilight imperium 4 came out

Cosmic Encounter is as casual as it gets.

>Cosmic Encounter is as shitty as it gets.
ft4u

shhh, don't ruin the surprise

>gloomhaven
ehh. i tend to shy away from kickstarter board games.mostly because i feel like if you dont back it, you miss out on a ton of stuff since most of it tends to be kickstarter exclusive items(like every CMON game on kickstarter).

unless thats not the case for that game.

I don't think that's true with GH. I've also heard some of the stuff that isn't immediately available at retail (like extra solo missions) will be made available eventually.

>My TI4 arrived
>no promos
>Because apparently ordering 24h after announcing of the game isn't preorder enough to get promos

Not that important, but still bummed. Not that anyone would buy a game just for the promos, but it makes me kind of angry to get baited like that. Promising customers something and then not giving it to them is much much worse than never promising it in the first place

Was there a promo outside of the hardcover rule book? Did you not get yours?

There's a lot of kickstarters with no exclusive content. There's some that certainly live up to your description, but I wouldn't dismiss a game that came from kickstarter for just that reason.

There was a poster I think.

>live in Australia
>store advertised October release for TI4
>preordered it
>got a bunch of friends to set aside a day and put in money to cover the cost of the game
>set the date in early December, plenty of time for the game to arrive even with Australia Post shenanigans
>consume all the TI4 information I can until it arrives to get hype and learn about it
>my TI4 still hasn't arrived at the store yet
>store says they haven't been told by suppliers when it will be in
>it looks unlikely that the game will arrive in time

Just the hardcover rule book with more lore and artwork and 2 posters

Completely irrelevant, but I still am mildly annoyed

I know that feel bro, plus I’m regional so I can probably add another week onto whenever you receive yours. I’ve looked everywhere for an Australian release date but no Ike seems to know.

>Holiday coming up for those in the states, are you planning on bringing any games to dinner?
I'm gonna try again, but last Thanksgiving I brought it all for nothing because everyone just decided to sit down on the couch after dinner and do nothing.

Gonna bring Stockpile, Ticket to Ride, and Mysterium. Mostly just games that wouldn't take too much explaining to get to playing.

Holy shit those motherfuckers better include my goddamn preorder promos.

He-here I go!

I can only imagine that FFG completely underestimated the demand this would create and sent out far too little promos

On a sidenote, I do not know why FFG gets such a good reputation ever so often. Yeah, their licenced products are good, but their games are often overpriced, packaged air and don't even get me started on the absolute abomination that is seperating a rulebook into a "let's play" and "Rules reference" book
Not that they are a shitty company, just that I feel like they often are praised a lot for nothing

Is it wagglan time then ?

is mechs vs minions really that good?
I dont play LoL at all but saw some stuff on that board game and it looks kinda neat.

I hope it is, I only received it two weeks ago and I havent been able to gather the group yet.

I dont know LoL either btw, game looked neat. I like coops and I think RoboRally is alright if you keep the tracks short so that seemed like something I would like to try !

Mechs vs Minions uses a brilliant drafting-programming system to service a mediocre Zombicide-like.
youtube.com/watch?v=zSsbOJ62itY

That's a polarizing game to discuss here. Some hate it because Riot is a shitty company, some people hate it because it's overproduced plastic pusher deluxe, somepeolpe hate it because it's a coop, some people hate it because it's casual as fuck, some people hate it because action programming is a shit mechanic, some people hate it because OMG RNG, some people hate it because it's fun.

I really like it and I left League a long time ago with very few good memories. Coop and programming go well together. It creates those woops moments that spiral your plans out of control without the frustration that comes with being picked on. Plays surprisingly smoothly for it's absurd component count and I like all the abilities, picking 2 of them to bring with to a mission and getting more as you go along. Adding a hard mode to all the missions was a nice touch to get some extra play if you finish it all.

My group really likes it, but I know a lot of people here hate them coops or hate them models or hate riot or what have you.

>some people hate it because action programming is a shit mechanic
It's an amazing mechanic when done probably and absolute shit when not. No middle ground with action programming.

What would you say are examples for good and shit programming games

Only ever played Roboralley and it's a pretty mixed package

I was bullshitting, I've only ever played seven games in my life, and six of them are Monopoly.

Budget constraints, also just building up collection so don't want any too similar games.
Thanks. Is Kingsburg any more replayable with expansions? I hear they come in the main box of 2nd ed.

yes

>co-op
>good
Hahahahahaha

Hahahaha is what's in your pants, boy.

Sauce for the catgirl?

The solo missions are available, the kickstarter add-on/bonus was that you could get a printed copy rather than pnping them. There were also the character standees you could get instead of miniatures in the first edition, but that was always intended as a cost-cutting option.

Retail Gloomhaven basically is Kickstarter Gloomhaven. Definitely not a CMON deal.

I'm in a long distance relationship, and one thing we both found out we like doing together is playing boardgames.

Are there any/many good online resources so that we can do this long distance?

boardgamearena is pretty decent.
It's just not really boardgaming if both of you sit in front of your PC, might as well play a PC game

We've been through that many together its not funny, and we have mildly different tastes.

Boardgames are something new and fun for us.

Thank you for the link i'll give it a look.

>lisboa is available on csi for less than it was on kickstarter

Is there a retail version of GH already?

Already here and out of stock. Wait for another printing or bay twice retail on Amazon or eBay.

there's nothing special about the game. Just an overpriced overcomplicated turd that most people won't be able to play even 10 times. Probably has a dominant strategy too.

Somehow forgot to mention it (and haven't tried it myself) but steam has a tabletop simulator (for which I assume there are many a boardgame)

Glad I didn't back.
backed feudum instead

TTS has basically every goddamn board game.
Available as a mod from Steam, meaning you actually gotta shell out the $20.

Is there any official news about a third wave of prints?

there's a few more

>Boardgame websites (these implement scripts for setup, rules and scoring)
boiteajeux.net
brettspielwelt.de
yucata.de
boardgamearena.com

>Virtual Tabletop (3D environment, you need to know how to play the game)
Tabletop Simulator
Tabletopia

>GUI engines (Like TTS but 2D, load modules to play)
vassalengine.org
zuntzu.com

jcloisterzone.com (java carcassonne)
many publishers have their own games for mobile or steam

There's probably a decent chance it'll be on sale somewhere for $10 for black friday.

Depends what you're looking for: epic sweeping simulation or tight feel but more abstracted. War of the Ring is the LotR in a box, Battle of Five Armies is same system but for the final battle from The Hobbit and takes half the time. LotR Confrontation is asymmetrical stratego using LotR characters/powers (there's 3 editions the two FFG are basically the same and upgraded from KOSMOS 2p) and there's an upcoming/Essen? release of a Specter Ops/Whitechapel hidden movement from Bag End to Rivendell. Plays in two parts, savable progress at the midway point, looks very cool but they used busts as the player pieces and they're atrocious

>forgetting Confrontation and 5 Armies

Depending what edition you got for $2 you got a steal or you stole someone's kidneys.

There's this guy in my group that insists on trying both Lisboa and The Gallerist.
I wish he shut up about it, but it seems I'll be soon be playing or or the other for fairness (he sometimes plays shit I buy and he hates too)
How much are those solitaire races? I hate stuff like Agricola or Caylus or other tight placement Euros where you cna easily fuck yourself over for the crime of not planning fir your next 90 minutes of play every turn; how much will I hate Lisboa?

>Everyone hates it for a reason or the other
Is it still polarizing if there's only one pole?

You will hate it about this much.

I didn't get the promos either.
FFG was very clear from the start that the only way you could be 100% sure you'd get a promo was to preorderquickly through their website; shop preorders would get limited quantity promos - it was stated multiple times on BGG and on FFG's forums, and I think even in a news article.
I still got it earlier and at a lower priced than most. Honestly the collector in me is scre4amign in frustration, but the reasonable guy instead is jsut relieved he has less luxury items taking up space and gathering dust around the house.

>that image
Why wouldn't you just play Fleet Captains with your waifu?