/l5rg/ - Legend of the Five Rings General

L5R / Legend of the Five Rings General

Unicorn story time edition

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE RPG (OLD AND NEW)

Rulebooks:
ME GA[New Zeland]/#F!EuB3yRRI!FjYeEU2FdqzIZ6cM1dKoHA

The FF Beta:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/dc/2f/dc2f92bb-bfd2-4f12-99eb-1d084491de65/l5r00_beta_rulebook.pdf

Latest Beta Update:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/99/6e/996e894d-b3d4-44e8-810e-d1824b82fd18/l5r00_beta_updates_v20.pdf

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE FF LCG

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - jigoku.online/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

>Veeky Forums L5R Discord
discord.gg/CJfVQ7B

>Clan Allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/14339259

This Paste: pastebin.com/0JF6Acgv

If lion get a couple more people with good actions I definitely see that as being strong as well. But I think in the near future we will see lion players running a switch deck as soon as way of the chrysanthemum hits.

What clan is your least favorite and why? Defend your opinion you fucking faggots.

Does the Spider Clan count?

They're a major clan last time I checked. So yes.

Related nu-cannon is for fags.

Then those long haired leather wearing celestial order defying edge lord faggots.

Fair point.

Mantis! Because botes, Thunder and will to power.

Anyone else bothered that great clan samurai talk about eating red meat in the new fiction?

Elaborate.

A common mantis theme is desire to forge your own destiny despite whatever fate may have planned for you. And that mortals can impose their will on celestial order.

Lion Weapons can get nuts quickly if you have LPB, Ujiaki or Toturi out and Time for War in hand with any costed weapon.

It's good, but very voltron, so Way of the Crab and Endless Plains hurt a lot.

No. They're Unicorn.

Old5R samurai were pretty grisly themselves. Not with animals, but carrying about a bag of trophy heads wasn't uncommon in Rokugan.

I may have had the wrong understanding but I thought meat was considered unclean for samurai to eat and that togashi referred to goats as mountain tuna to avoid this social taboo and that the Fox clan hide the shame that when the first moved into the forest they were so poor they had to eat the forest animals.

But time for war is seeker role right now so it may as well not exist.

Was wondering why I was getting weird looks at my LGS.

Lax on the Keeper/Seeker, but Element is Mandatory.

Oh, it's still considered spiritually unclean, but the Unicorn dgaf. It's their tradition. A fair portion of what's "wrong" in Rokugan is contextual, too. Touching corpses? Absolutely! ... Unless you're ultra-purist holy monks of the Shinmaki order. Etc.

Planning to join an L5R game. Any tips on how to build a character with the Self-Taught Shugenja school?

If you want to min max rings are better than skills

So for the RPG, are Yokai from Nioh good images to use as representation for Shadowlands characters? (BBEG for the current arc as well as some NPCs)

Pic related is what I was thinking of using for the BBEG as a reference.

>YFW the lost are name dropped in a crab fiction yet you can only play a Goblin in your deck

I want to play a shadowlands deck but it looks like I'm waiting another year or so. Played mainly Spider so I never got to enjoy traditional Hordes. I'm excited but man the wait is rough.

Serious question, is Bayushi Kachiko actually any good at politics? Despite assuring her husband the crane was well in hand, her last conversation with Hotaru ended with Hotaru suspecting Kachiko had murdered her husband. And her meeting with the emperor was basically pic related.

While the art style is different, the monsters themselves are perfect for showcasing the shadowlands.
The Souls series is of course also great for that.

Probably cunning and able to use her assets for good use, but most like all women, not that politically savvy and smart.

Agree on the notion that she considers herself smarter than she really is, especially the emperor conversation.

Some of these are fucking sick, anyone have any other pics from Vidya/other works that can be used for Shadowlands?

New fiction with Taka and Yoritomo is up

The Unicorn District has been leaked?

Post? Proof?

Was a question haha

>L5R writers are shit at characterization

News at eleven.

M A N T I S C O N F I R M E D

Eat shit extra faction deniers.

Those text leaks of someone saying Mantis is coming in Set 2 and Big Box are looking pretty good right about now.

Ya. Guess that means The Lost/Shadowlands in 3rd cycle then.

Can't wait for that salt train.

What's better to have in a fight? A Crab berserker or a Lion?

A better question; what is the stronger berserker; a Matsu, a Hida, or a Moto?

Well that's more or less what I meant, if Crabs or Lions make for better berserkers.

No love for the Unicorn's berserkers?

In L5R 4e I'd prefer the Matsu. They hit harder than a Hida and are a bit more versatile. Though I'd never turn away a Hida Beatstick they are also very good. The Hida will likely be a little tankier than the Matsu, which can be just as handy as raw beatdown.

Also the Hida has to path to become a berserker, the Matsu does it natively and could path to get super speed to replace their mediocre R2 tech.

Very helpful. I think I'm leaning towards Crab, though. Some of those Matsu techs are hard to pass up, but I want the survivability.

What is your most memorable L5R RPG character, any edition? What made them stand out to you and your group?

Is this somewhere?

If I had to guess it would be...

-1 Strength

Imperial

Action: Break this Province to discard an attacking character that costs 2 or less.

You forgot "Limit 1 per deck"

Though that might actually make this card stronger.

Where is minor clan fag? I want his hot take on this.

I want three so I can break all my provinces for my opponent, robbing him of the satisfaction of having a real victory.

As long it isn't MarygotSue and his merry band of Sooper Sekrit Samurai Sith who get all the bonuses of being tainted with only the least of the penalties a Shadowlands faction would be fine.

Even better would be if they did the antagonist factions as something akin to the WoW CCG's Raid Decks.

>saying this unironically as though there's only one MC fag
Not speaking for anyone else, but I'm already backing away from FFG's take on L5R, so the difference is barely noticeable. I may not even bother with 5e.

Are they doing minor clan mantis as a faction, or pushing forward to gc status?

MOM SAID IT'S MY TURN TO BE A GREAT CLAN!

Considering that people here get up in arms at the mere mention of the faction returning, I doubt it would matter if they're written differently.

Spider was widely despised. People generally didn't mind the Shadowlands Horde or the concept of Lost samurai.

The Spider hate is vastly overblown. It is not like many people hated the Spider (I reckon a lot more people hated the Mantis when they popped up), but the guys who hated Daigotsu&co hated them A LOT.

Nah. Spider player base hate is surprisingly low (aside from a few chucklers), but the Spider of the setting are commonly reviled.

No, they're not. It's just some people who really didn't like them.

>complains about the fiction
>doesn't even bother to read it.

Your salt does not disappoint though.

She my have mistaken deception for cleverness.

Kachiko's political clout comes from her having dirt on everyone. Sure, you can call her out on her bullshit, but she can bring your clan crashing down alongside her. Congrats, you caught one courtier doing exactly what her clan is known for. That'll be cold comfort when you and your brethren are committing seppuku together.

Night Raid is fine against Lion but it's not the province you'd want to place under your Stronghold.

Against Phoenix it's better to have the Shameful Display in one of your four starting provinces than under Stronghold. 25-33% chance of them revealing it and in my case of playing as Crane possibly enabling a Noble Sacrifice and Voice of Honor.

How can a high glory, attachment heavy unicorn/crane deck tech against scorpion dishonor and control?

Replace your purple cards with yellow ones.

>Unicorn/Crane

Unusual combination, what's the Crane splash for?

Is there a database for finding the ccg cards? I keep finding lcg cards..

> (You)
>
>>Unicorn/Crane
>
>Unusual combination, what's the Crane splash for?

Political offense and defense so I'm not reliant on captive audience against heavy politics matchups. I'm trying a more balanced, mid-range unicorn deck, less rushing and more mind games.

"Complaining" about something I didn't really address, and had no bearing on my decisions? That would be quite a feat. Thanks for the (You).

Sounds like you need to lower you're sodium intake or up your tolerance, friend.

Oracle of the Void.

> but I'm already backing away from FFG's take on L5R
>"Complaining" about something I didn't really address, and had no bearing on my decisions?

So the fiction doesn't have anything to do with you backing away from the fiction? ok

Ahhhh so for cards like Political Rival? Are you running Steward of Law or Duelist Training?

Not him but my crane splash for unicorn is political rival, fashion, perfect gifts to dig for spyglasses and favored mounts

Political Rival and Kakita BLade right now, but I'm probably yanking the blades for some more utility; I have a hilarious combo in political rival with an equipped kakita blade and then using policy debate, but it sucks up a lot of stuff for what is ultimately a silly combo.

Have the pack inserts and other printed fiction (like in the rulebooks if any?) been uploaded in this thread?

>Fashion

I get we're not a political clan, but it really hurts me when I see people run that. The card is straight up garbage.

To think that some kid made this deck, and now every Unicorn hopped on the gravy train.

re: l5r RPG
is 4e the edition I should use? Is there something about a 5e coming out? Is it worthwhile at all?

In 4e, are you expected to take maximum number of advantages/disadvantages?

I wouldn't run Height of Fashion, there's stronger cards you can splash for.

If you're running Kakita Blade then you should be running Duelist Training as well.

Yes, 4e is the best edition. 5e (which is in beta) is faggoty snowflake dice shit.

Most players in my experience tend to take 6-9 points of disadvantages and load up to the max on advantages. The later because there is no guarantee they'll be allowed to take them after char gen. So no, max is not by any means required.

What is one of the better splashes for Crab right now? My current deck is Crab/Unicorn for Spyglass / Captive Audience / Wayfinder, but I'm really struggling against a friend who plays Phoenix / Dragon.

>So the fiction doesn't have anything to do with you backing away from the fiction?
I can see the wheel turning, but the hamster is dead, mate. Try again. I'm not getting involved with the lcg, and probably not 5e.

>Most players in my experience tend to take 6-9 points of disadvantages and load up to the max on advantages.
I've seen players take anywhere from 0 to maximum allowed disadvantages, and the same for advantages.
In the same game, I've seen one player take max disads and no ads, while another player took no disads and max ads.

>In 4e, are you expected to take maximum number of advantages/disadvantages?
Generally, unless you have advantages that you really want/need, then you don't max out advantages. The more xp you do put into advantages, the less you have to put into rings and skills, which is where you get Insight and gain School Ranks.

Disadvantages will vary based on how the GM applies them. I've always taken it that the more points you have, the more often you want something to go wrong for your PC when it might otherwise go right (and how). Other games are more lenient, and there's little reason to not get all the bonus xp.

Generic good stuff splash is Dragon for pretty much every clan.

Some players just enjoy things going wrong for their characters too, rather than taking disadvantages for minmax purposes.

3 Fury and 3 Covert Monks or Let Go in all decks.

2 each is pretty good too. Or 2 of one and 3 of another for the seekers.

They were always in the top 3 the most popular factions since celestial edition. The Spider hate is just old crab and crane farts who couldn't stand the idea of their faction not being the center of attention at all times.

Old Horde Player here. Spider ruined the taint. Get fucked Spiderfags.

Your looking at it all wrong I don't play it to cover up a weakness, I happen to like the unicorn political guys. Besides being blown out by "Let Go" I'm perfectly happy with it. Giver of Gifts is one of my favorite cards and it plays well with her.

Ok, nice attempt at being obtuse af so you don't look like you're backpedaling.

>Thinking your opinion mattered

If hordes players actually were worth something they wouldn't have replaced them with the more successful Spider.

Stay mad grandpa, just because a few of the oni were fun doesnt change the fact that Hordes was a gimmick at best, dumpster fire at worst.

Phoenix Dynasty Character

Courtier. Scholar.

3 1/3/2

This character gets +2 Pol skill while you have the Imperial Favor.

Phoenix Holding

+0 str

Imperial trait

Limit 1 per deck.

While resolving conflicts at this holding's province, each character counts glory instead of Mil or Pol skill.

Unicorn Dynasty Character

Bushi. Cavalry.

2 2/1/1

Reaction: When this character is revealed in your provinces - play this character.

Such shitty early stats

well thats a potential blowout to scorpion.

Wait, does this mean you can play it before you or your opponent have an action, meaning you can dump it, then pass for the free fate?

Yes, since it's a reaction, it doesn't have to be played during an action phase.

>Wait, does this mean you can play it before you or your opponent have an action, meaning you can dump it, then pass for the free fate?
It's a reaction to revealing it in the dynasty phase. Basically, it lets you play it as a '0th' action that phase. Since you're 'playing' it you still have to pay for it, but you can put fate on it if you want.

Wish I could say you were making a nice attempt at all. I'm sure you could.

As long as you're admitting it

Not admitting anything. Just letting you run with whatever you feel you have to, because clearly that's more important to you than anything else.

I hope this isn't a larp, Suddenly our 37 card decks become 34.

rebuild with this LUL

TIL some random responses on Veeky Forums = the most important thing in the world to me

Ok, we can pretend that you didn't trip over yourself and have no idea wtf you're talking about if that's what you like.