Listen up boys, it's time for a dieselpunk thread see? A weird science picture show...

Listen up boys, it's time for a dieselpunk thread see? A weird science picture show. You into any other crap and you can scram

Other urls found in this thread:

coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-animist-wizards.html
youtu.be/7FZiAi9LDIs?t=563
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegare
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I clicked on this thread hoping that you were going to storytime this.

Shit if only, image was grabbed from the last weird science thread. I'd love a mediafire link someday

That dude's legs are unnaturally long. Like, a little creepily long. What, uh, what's he been up to, you think?

Fuck now I can't unsee it

I don't know how dieselpunk some of this stuff could be but Osprey published a book that details nazis with norse magic to use them in a campaign, its cool but they haven't done anything for other factions and I been meaning to fill that spot but I'm in a blank.
Nazis: Norse magic & ?
USA: Superheros & flying fortresses
Italy: ? & ?
Britain: ? & ?
Japan: ? & ?
France: ? & ?
USSR: human-animal hybrids & oversized vehicles
I'm unsure if flying fortresses fit the USA and I'm in a blank about all others

Oversized vehicles could also be a german thing now that I think about it

Nazis in this setting are usually occult (or Norse I guess) and weird science, you know, the kraut space magic meme
USSR sounds about right, Japan usually goes "Samuria but they're mechanical!"

WW1, it never ended... EVER!

I actually like the settings where WW1 never happened so WW2 is even worse because nationalistic tensions and arms races went an extra two decades

It also gives you the fascism without the genocide. Usually.

>fascism without the genocide
Good joke

Honestly, If I were going the paranormal angle, I'd play up America using a lot of native american units and using Dine` (Apache) language code talkers.
Imagine battlefield shaman wearing eagle feathers over their flak jackets summoning a Buffalo spirit to plow through nazi soldiers. Or scouts seeing through the eyes of birds.

For Japan, I'd say "Undead" have military officers, strategists or new-age "Samurai" Preform a rite of self mummification (A real think japanese buddhists did) to come back as undying warriors.

Also for japan: Enslaved Yokai/Oni soldiers hauling big machine guns and clubs made of Rebar.

Wellll, you know, from a fictional worldbuilding perspective. You can cherry pick all the fascism aesthetic and jackbooted enemies, if you're players like that element of a 1930's weirdworld

France : atomic physics and botany
(not because french botany was particularly advanced, but because it's a reccuring theme in french sci-fi and post-apocalyptic stories).
Plus druids and resistance go well together.

Britain dabbed in black magic during ww2, it seems (they were deseperate and went "well, sure can't hurt to try")

>what is Italy

Thats actually really cool. The elements i really like are America led by Super Heroes, and the Japanese Death Buddhists. The apache elements for America are cool too, especially in the Pacific theatre

It may be my own Yank bias but WW2 era US soldiers were aesthetic as fuck. How do the Krauts and Ivans even think they can compare?

If ya really into Dieselpunk, you should check out Delitte's stuff. Dude draws great mechanics.

Those are the easy ones, the hard part is finding stuff for france or italy
Lets try to keep things mostly tech based
That sounds really cool but won't it imply they had the atomic bomb from the start?
Never heard about that before but seems fitting

>what is Italy
Italy gladly handed over its Jews and other undesirables to the SS. They may not have built the death camps but they aren't free from blame for the Holocaust.

Literally just replace Italy in the axis with the Ottoman Empire. It fixed everything from a cool new regional army look to the fact that the Ottomans can do dieselpunk pretty well and actually held their own in war. It also always for more conflict in the middle east

Men of SCIENCE (and marie curie)

>The japanese have an army of minor gods under the direct command of the Emperor that grant them total weather control
>use mummies instead

Toppest kek.

The war would mainly be about US specops and local resistance forces trying to identify and blow up or otherwise desecrate Shinto shrines both fixed and portable all across the Greater East-Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere so that their navy and airforces can operate in non-foul weather.

Those deified ancestral spirits have a very limited operational range and require some form of housing after all.

>what is Italy

They gassed probably almost as many civis as the Americans in 'nam in their colonial wars and turned a country into a concentration camp with barbed wire in order to eradicate native resistance movements.

Italy's far from spotless.

>and actually held their own in war.

Mostly because the Brits went fully MINES CANT SINK STEEL SHIPS and then failed to get beyond their beachhead, I gather.

True, but if you retcon the twilight of an Empire aspect it works well. And from a gameplay perspective it allows for Mediterranean Fortresses and Lawerence of Arabia guerrilla style missions

The french wanted to begin tests in 1941 IRL.
Nonetheless, nuclear tech can be used for a lot of other purposes. Medicine, superscience (the chimera brigade had some superheroes due to radium exposure), energy source, even some metallurgy (france was pretty good in that regard too)

I think british could have lots of pulp heroes, individuals at peak performance with a few gimmicks of various origins (like magic amulet, super plane,... that kind of thing).

Italy is a hard one. Maybe hypnosis (mind control and/or "unlocking potential" bullshit) and radio control stuff.

USSR should have some robots (yeah, I know R.U.R. is czech), it fits the worker's paradise ideal.

>gladly
lol no. Go read some history book, nigga.

I can't read Spanish, but thanks!

Britain's thing could be limey druid magic focused on physical healing and protection as opposed to Norse fate/destiny altering runic magic. Tech-wise, I'd imagine British tech would incorporate a lot of wood and their medical science would be top-notch.

Man. I love diesel punk. The main setting I've been working on for about six months has been a sort of dieselpunk post-post-apocalyptic underdark. I recently lost most of my reference images, so this thread is the tits.

I am more of a WW1 or interwar dieselpunk man than a straight up WW2 aesthetic. Though, I do take aspects of it.

I like the vestiges of Imperial splendour clinging to a world that it seems so out of place in.

I've pillaged a lot of art from a game called Insomnia.

The one thing I'm lacking is art of pulpy adventurers, which is a problem because given the general idea I'm going for those are gonna be the player characters. Hard boiled detectives, intrepid archaeologists, daring men and women of action in general.

obligatory airship

>Pic related is how weird WW1 is actually started

I refuse to believe this is anything but a parody.

I'm not sure how many pulp character I got, but I'll try

It turns out all I have is weird shit. Gotta hit the character art threads again

For Japan I'd link Unit 731 and a sort of evil corruptive magic. The post coinsandscrolls.blogspot.ca/2017/06/osr-animist-wizards.html has some details on a sort of tainted witch class and likes to a video on the notion of corruption in Dark Souls youtu.be/7FZiAi9LDIs?t=563 and the wiki entry on Kegare en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegare .

Want to try and capture a Porco Rosso/Skies of Fire feel for my world. Keep it as plausible as I can So uncorking the weird is the story. Reading Ospreys, googling old timey Veeky Forums. How do?

There's a video game that's like blazing skies or something that's basically all about air piracy in the interwar period. The name escapes me though

>Assassinating Archduke Mario of the Mushroom-Hungarian Empire.

Those Serbian dogs!

Crimson skies