WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>The Bloody Hand will point the way!
youtube.com/watch?v=hQGiFWwZJno

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

mastercrafted.co.uk/product-category/scenery/
oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/catalogue28.html
ragingheroes.com/collections/new/products/lupita-love
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Do I receive a confirmation after signup?
Yes, I send 'em out as soon as I see the email, shouldn't take longer than 1-2 days. If you got none til then, resend a mail.

>What shall I include in the email?
Well, your address, obviously. Also, your name if you're not 100% sure that you receive packages without a name. You also can include what you are collecting etc, but don't expect to get something related to that 100%

>What shall I gift?
I don't know, use your imagination! You can check last year's SS here: imgur.com/a/1fxhq

>How much should I gift?
Well it should be at least 10-15$ in value, so that it is worthwhile all the hassle. But you can also go higher and nobody will say a thing if it's only 7.85$. It's the gesture that counts. I'm sure you find some cool stuff in your bitzbox, too.

>When do we get our matches?
The matching will take place Dec 1st and after that, you'll receive an email with the address of your match

>What about shipping costs?
I try to do continental matching, so they shouldn't be too high. If you specifically want someone from another continent, I also try to arrange that!

>What do if I get grinched?
Email me and I'll try to contact your match. If we can't sort it out, he'll get put onto the naughty list. Often, we find kind anons jumping in and sending something to you in this case!

>Why the fuck are we doing this?
Because /WIP/ is literally the most wholesome online community.

>Do people sign up from country XY?
Most people sign up from NA and EU, but also from Australia, Japan, whatever. If you only want to participate of someone else from your country registers, you can ask in advance, just shoot an email.

Is it a problem if I can't send my present until around the 10th?

Linking for comments and critiques (even though no base yet)

the green on the shield looks a bit streaky and I think it could do with another coat, the red is super flat aswell, needs a hightlight

The red on his skirt, yes?

idc about some anons opinion on what I'm gonna enjoy doing, looking for a tutorial on nmm brass for some primaris minotaurs

I like the idea for the armor. Not sure about using the same color of the verdigris on the cape though. That looks odd to me.
The drybrushing on the plume looks a bit chalky. Maybe you could go over that with a red wash again.

and the shield

Look up gold tutorials and substitute the yellows with reddish browns as brightest colors.

how am I doing?

I wanted to err on the side of thin.
full size krylon primer.

>better pic

?

So I got some hobby store gloss topcoat in a spray can and it's not as glossy as gloss paints- I have a yellow I really like but it's flat and I was hoping the gloss topcoat would bring it up to snuff with the rest of my colors.

Bad product, not enough layers, shake more? what do you think?

looks p fuckin glossy on those peices of featureless brightly colored wood. on an actual miniature, who can say?

What do you think of my blood angle user?
I felt like painting one up

any tips for me /wip/

D R I L L

yeah i know :/
i do most models but i haven't touched this guy since i built him when dark imperium came out.

It's okay user
He's uh, kind of half finished
The base colours are messy, especially that bit of gold spilling onto his pauldron
You'd benefit from a highlight on the metal and black
going over your edge highlights again to give them consistent shape and coverage would help out too

lrn2 take better photos

>What do you think of my blood angle user?

I'm havin' a hard time diggin' that darker red. The contrast between it and the highlight seems extra-stark to me. Have you considered a middle ground layer in there somewhere, say ... Evil Sunz Scarlet?

You kidding? The Dark red on this user's marine looks pretty darn good. The highlights look at *tad* bit sharp and drastic, but looks good overall. Reminds of a Blood Ravens color.

it's diminished IRL for example you can literally see the yellow meeple in the face of the green, not so the blue in the yellow.

dark red is a nice color but it needs a shade wash and the highlights are too much for such a dull red with no other depth

looks great to me though, except the highlights

1. not posting a thumbnail

Slow progress continues, what do you think of the flesh tubes on his torso and head? I'm going to try and make them look slimy at a later point but I'm not sure if I'm happy with how they looks so far
>still need to highlight every thing that isn't above his head
>weapon, mouth, cape etc needs a lot of work

1/2

2/2

Has anyone found a close match to the Shadespire board color? I want to paint the bases of my orcs

My new favorite model

I take back what I said last time you posted it about the blank face, that's really cool

much better than full grey suit and gloss black

It looks fine, but does it feel fine? Is there any kind of texture on the surface?

And what's with the bits of green? Are those just uncovered bits or have you started painting?

How would you convert a lefty dread plasma cannon?

stormraven plasma canon on the missile launcher arm
Chop off the hand part of a fist, put on the plasma canon barrel, attack the magnetic accelerator to the side or top of the arm, attach cables leading to the shoulder with plasma cannon power pack from the devastators attached there

or a DA plasma landspeeder cannon if you suck

Figured i'd get some painting done, within 10 minutes of starting get a massive headache and it's so bad I've had to stop.
This is how backlogs happen

>so little money to buy models with I've actually finished my backlog
It just feels wrong

put more work in on my sang priest and im quite happy right now, still need to work on the sword and clean up some missed spots and mistakes

That's looking much better user

This might be a longshot but does anyone have any ideas / pics for turning some historical tank minis into a predator / leman russ?

Pic related.

Something like this?

GW tanks follow rule of cool. Historic tanks would look out of place for many reasons unless you're willing to do a lot of conversion work. At which point you might wonder why you're doing it.

Was that a M3 Lee at some point?

Trying to recreate the mix I used for a skintone, I wrote down how I did it but it's not turning out the same. Next time something gets painted I'm not making my own mixes, or if I do i'm making a whole potfull of the stuff

Now that looks really good.

I've always thought a Churchhill could pass as a Macharius with work put in but idk.

Is there a source for non GW Video tutorial like Dark Sword masterclass or painting Buddha?

Think I finished Minsc. Get to seal it in the morning. On to Frostgrave soldiers next.

nice

Where could I get Asian style accessories for bases? Torii gates, lanterns and such. I'm going to make a diorama about samurai's final moments.

C+C
Huge grain of salt this is literally one of my first minis.
(also any tips on shading white? agrax earthshade makes it look gross and so does nuln oil)

I know Wyrd used to do some, not sure if they're still in production though

I think at least one of the games set in similar periods had a scenery pack with lanterns and temple dogs.

After a quick google search I came across these though
mastercrafted.co.uk/product-category/scenery/
oshiromodelterrain.co.uk/catalogue28.html
Sarissa also has a bunch of buildings but in 20mm. The tori gate should work for 28mm as well though.

Tori gates are also popular fish tank decorations, so if you check amazon you may find something nice too.

Thanks! I'm sure I'll find what I need from these three sites. Time to start the project!

Damn, that bring back some memories

I kind of like the cell-shaded cartoon highlights, personally.
Probably looks pretty good from across the table too.

Weapons are a bit featureless though.

I think they need something to pull them ut of the flat colour of the armour more.
Maybe something as simple as a dark wash into the recesses between the armour and flesh tubes would be enough though.

Shouldnt be too problematic, as long as it arrives until Christmas Eve, it's fine.

Evil meet sword. Sword meet evil!

Looks like it. People seem to prefer Panzers and KV-2 for their Russes though.

>find a box of bestigor online for 30e
>need bestigor for current project
>receice the box from mail
>mfw realise they're old metal ones and not new plastic ones

Well my own fault not making enough research of my own.

Tips on painting tank tracks quickly? I've got a few Leman Russes I got that were already assembled. Stripped them and primed/base coat/camo with my airbrush and now I have to go back and do details.

Tracks are a pain in the ass with all the fucking nooks and crannies. Just need to get them black so I can drybrush them with a metallic. Any tips on doing that fast?

exquisite.

Black basecoat and drybrush metal? Also nice trips.

What company makes that model?

Cool! How did you kitbash his head gear?

I am trying to customise my Shadespire boyz and need a few opinions.

Which one do you prefer? I'm leaning a bit towards A, but cant really decide. I like the axe in D too...

Also would like to know if this looks good?

I like the different axe head but the transition from rectangular to round handle worries me...

Anyone recommend a good paint on white primer? Haven't got the space to spray indoors and at this time of year, there's no chance of spraying outside.

Gonna need to add more stencils with more varied shapes next time. And to not do something so stupid as using the Fang as base colour and then doing the next layer with admin grey like a dumbass. Any recommendations for Airbrush primarily for vehicle sized projects?

Easiest is to spray them black and drybrushing them before gluing them in place. If they are already glued then you just need to paint the by hand OR by masking the area around the tracks and airbrushing them.

So file the handle. Job's a goodun.

If you got an airbrush, Vallejo got one. White surface primer.

Do C

Trying something a bit different for my plague marines. Not a big fan of Nurgle but I love this miniature.

Just posting cause I’m proud.

What's so exciting abut that Wych that makes it your fav model?

Just about done this squad.
Just basing left to go.
Might brighten the horns a bit.

Can't file it cos it's also visible in his grip.

i dont really dig that color at all, at least for death guard
but i guess to make it work i would darken the hell out of it, make that bright ass orange the brightest of your highlights
looks more like caramel then a rotting pumpkin (which is what i would imagine an orange death guard color scheme would look like)

maybe its just me idk

These are all good kits to start with
Matilda, KV2, BT-42.
But remember to get them in 1/35, 1/48 looks too small in comparison to regualr 40k tanks.

KV-2 is essentially the basis for ragnarok tank conversion , google it.

Victoria miniatures does a custom matilda russ with sponsons but it is retardedly expensive.
At that point it is better to buy a mars alpha LR.

If you are really ambitious get pic related.

It's a bit darker now, and it'll get weathered up. We'll see how I go.

Are there any good miniatures for the bureaucracy of the Imperium? Guys that are behind the scenes in 40k?

I legitimately want to make a proxy army for the Ordo Grammaticus.

Nuln Oil + Lahmian Medium makes for a diluted black taht doesnt look as dirty as agrax nor as dark as regular nuln

>gets glorious metal bestigor
>complains
Bruh...

C

I know I'm a little bitchy but I currently have no use for them. And I'm completely aware of their gloriousness.

What would you highlight gold with that would look the best? Stormhost Silver or Liberator Gold? Gold was made with Retributor Armor + Reikland Fleshshade

Or should I go Liberator Gold and use Stormhost as an edge highlight for characters?

>Retributor base
>Reikland shade
>Liberator highlight
>Stormhost on the sharpest points and rivets.

Obligatory.

Fuck, now I gotta drive my ass up 30 minutes to grab that Liberator Gold

It's worth it, makes some dank gold imho.
Put on a nice song while you drive user, and treat yourself to something delicious.

I hate driving into town, but I do like tacos...

paint and tacos, sounds like the recipe for a good day

Wait, it's Thanksgiving and the FLGS is closed for the day

fug...

Guess I'll just do everything that isn't gold. Debating on actually trying to paint the face or doing a black gradient for the hooded kind of effect

Hey,

I've just begun painting. I want to do this scheme, but just a little bit more grey.

Which colors would you use for the skin? (I'd just use the next darker tone in line, I guess)

Thanks

what mini is that?

ragingheroes.com/collections/new/products/lupita-love

First time ordering from them and it was pretty good quality. Just needed a tiny bit of smoothing of course due to being 3D printed

Not specificly that model but there are lots of raging heroes minis that are cheaper to buy from ebay. Just letting you know if you are planning to buy more.