In the room you see broken eggshells scattered across the floor, floating on a thin layer of mucus that

>in the room you see broken eggshells scattered across the floor, floating on a thin layer of mucus that...
>”CAN I TELL WHAT KIND OF EGG IT IS”
>you scan the room and notice a pair of glowing yellow eyes that...
>”WHAT KIND OF EYES IS IT AN ORC”
>it moves closer and reveals its black scaly wings and a....
>”IS IT A DRAGON? DOES MY CHARACTER KNOW ITS A DRAGON? I ROLLED A 14 WHAT COLOR DRAGON IS IT I WANNA TAME IT

If you want to be a story teller and railroad, don't be a GM.

All three of those are completely valid questions for that situation. Yeah it's a little annoying getting interrupted but maybe if you could be more succinct in your descriptions this wouldn't happen.

>stop interrupting me and spend your turn doing an investigate check

That DM detected.

>Interrupting the DAM as he describes to scene so you can understand the scene.

Let a nigga set the scene. Those details are very important. Your questions of what you see can be asked with the DAM telling you what it is you see.

>As it moves closer...
Can I get the first shot off or are you going to railroad it so we inevitably end up getting attacked at the end of your description?

Yeah honestly this. Flowery prose is nice and all if you're writing a book but in a game you need to be succinct.
>You enter the room, and you notice cracked eggshells and mucus on the floor
>In the shadows you see a pair of glowing yellow eyes
>Roll for initiative

All you need to fucking do, provided you don't intend on catching the players off guard with the dragon.

>Taking an action
>Interrupting to for details the DAM is actively explaining
This isn't the same thing.

What I'd it wasn't even a dragon? What if it wasn't a hostile combat? What if it was a anything else? We don't know because the DM didn't get to say.

Nigga, if your player asks for detailed description you do it. Just describing the eyes and the form of the iris could tell him what creature it is. Same for the eggs.

You're railroading into a specific situation.

>Obvious signs of something monstrous
>Creature with monstrous appearance hiding in shadows
>B-but how could you know it was hostile you murderhobos?

user, have you ever heard the story of the Elf in the Tree? It's not a story That GMs would tell you. It's an old legend, about a player who wanted his character revealed to the rest of the party in a special way. The players would encounter his character--an elf--sitting atop a tree. This elf then shouted creepy threats at the players, non stop. Before finally the players realized he was a threat, and burned the tree down. The player couldn't understand why they reacted that way.

What I'm getting at is don't paint an obviously sinister scenario and then complain when PCs, who by nature are leery and suspicious, act aggressively.

Then say "I swing my sowrd at the incoming creature, or I shoot it, or I attack it in some way"
This "is it a dragon? Is it an orc? Can I tell what the eggs are for without requesting a roll,can I interrupt for silly nonsense like trying to take the assumed dragon"
Id it's so obviously an encounter, then roll initiative and say what your character is doing VS. asking beyond what your character dose actually know.

If the players first response to a freshly hatched thing with glowing eyes is to attack it then that is their response and that is how the story is going to go.

Telling your players to not do that because you didn't expect them to feel threatened makes you a railroading asshole. They don't want to check if this thing is hostile, they feel it is a threat and are attacking it. If you don't want your creature to die for some plot reason maybe have it run away, or take a hit and cringe in the corner so they know it's not going to fight back.

>Have you ever heard the tragedy of Elf in the Tree? It's a GM legend..

>take a hit and cringe in the corner so they know it's not going to fight back.
This doesn't work 100% of the time, because one of my players absolutely will keep fighting anything they don't know what is until physically restrained (in-character) by someone else.

But they didn't attack it.... I said they should have, if they did there wouldn't be a problem, but instead they asked and rolled to take the "dragon"

>complaining about interesting players who want you to go further into descriptions
youve never had the fucks who dont say a god damn word outside of the same attacks over and over or "can i roll perception." "can i roll nature." with NO description of what their character is doing to warrant it
youre a shit Dm and that player deserves better

But the player wasn't asking for more detail, he was asking if his character knew something from what he has seen, when as a player you should know what your character is thinking with what is being seen.

The player didn't ask for details, he just interjects random shit that doesn't connect or relate and only derails the scene and kills the mood.

"Can I tell what kind of egg it is" Is ABSOLUTELY grounds for a nature check and getting more details, are you retarded?

>Is this acceptable?

Some players and GMs enjoy long, uninterrupted descriptions that set the mood, followed by player questions/actions. Some players and GMs enjoy a quick back-and-forth where interjecting is perfectly acceptable.

In the end, IT DEPENDS ON THE GROUP.

But there is a "Dragon" actively creeping on you in mostly plane sight.
Though the DAM should have went along with "you start to look closer at the eggs when a more urgent thing happens". Not like the situation would have had time for the player to really look at the eggs. It's a scene set. Meaning all this is happening at the same time. You start with smaller details so you avoid "I do thing" when something obvious in the room like eggs on the floor could have changed the players actions. Scene setting is important.

>This isn't the same thing.
The thing is that the DM is describing the creature in question taking actions.
>it moves closer and reveals its black scaly wings
So should I be worried? Is the description going to end with "everyone roll for initiative?" There is a difference between saying "you see a black dragon" in flowery language and "you see a black dragon that approaches you" in flowery language.

I don't understand what your trying to say. Could you retype that? But with more context and with more of a point?
I don't know what your trying to tell me.

>>complaining about interesting players who want you to go further into descriptions
>youve never had the fucks who dont say a god damn word outside of the same attacks over and over or "can i roll perception." "can i roll nature." with NO description of what their character is doing to warrant it

Christ two of my players are like this and it drives me up the fucking waaallll

I typically describe things in the order it is noticed so
gross room scale features
>Opening the doors you see they were sealing off a large cavern
then either moving things or big things
>A river in the middle of the cave is filled by a waterfall that cascades from a hole in the roof down onto a large stalagmite and down to the receiving pool before running away into the darkness
then anything that seems like a threat and wasn't a big moving thing
>Out of the water, four tentacles sprout as you open the door

But sometimes it's more like

>Opening the doors you see they were sealing off a large cavern
>WHAT KIND OF ROCK IS IT?

And I want to be like "nigger if you stop to check, the tentacle beast of yith will just ream you right now."

>WHAT TENTACLE BEAST YOU DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT A TENTACLE BEAST

well whose fucking fault is that interrupting cow moo?

I did once ask a DAM what kind of tress we saw. He was describing a CoC ancient City art, with trees. After he was done describeing the art scene we found I asked what kind of trees, (could have been lore important), my party then start calling me a dumb cunt. I felt bad, they didn't need to do that. And in the end it actually did matter to the lore. (DM wasn't a cunt, but he was surprised)

I think there is two ways to play the GM

>Active description
for example "You see a guard noticing you, he draw his weapon and start to menacingly approach the group, still walking toward you he wait until he's at range and attack, roll initiative".
In this example the GM was waiting for one player to cut him, so it could have gone like "You see a guard noticing you, he draw his weapon and start to-" "I drop my weapon on the ground to show him I'm not a threat!" "Ok then the soldier stop in its movement"

>Passive description
Here GM and players "take turn" talking, so pretty much what OP wanted to. The previous example would be "You see a guard noticing you, he starts to draw his weapon, do you do something?". The game becomes slower but less stressful because people don't really have to think on the go.

I like to use both of them depending on the context, but the most important thing is TALK TO YOUR PLAYERS SO THEY KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.

>"[...] be more succinct in your descriptions [...]"

DM: "Enter room. A dragon. Roll initiative."

You mean like that?

That would be lame as fuck and kill role play.
But I think that's your point.

He's telling you that you described the dragon taking actions against the player. It is approaching, and potentially attacking. That's railroading them into a disadvantage when the player might want to roll initiative and attack first, or otherwise respond before the thing can hurt them.

>You see a dragon
>You see a dragon moving towards you
In the former I have no reason to interrupt you since I have little reason to fear that the dragon can attack me before I get to react.

God forbid the DM might put any effort into the encounter to enhance your belief in the secondary world. Let's just blurt out something to obtain the coveted "gotcha" on the DM, because our parents never taught us any manners and we need to feel superior to other people in our own social group.

In the example none of the interruptions were actions taken. They were all requests for more information while the GM was still giving information and setting tone.

Because he probably wanted more information before he decided on his actions. If something big with black wings approaches I would like to know what it is and if I can strike first before my GM says to roll for initiative or more dickishly "it attacks take XdY damage."

The only interruption that could've provided any insight into action was 'what kind of eyes is it', which was promptly explained when the GM was able to continue his introduction. It also doesn't change that it's cunty to start yelling out in the middle of someone else's sentence, interrupting flow and ruining tone, or that either way the GM is the GM and if he really wants to be cheap he will be cheap. Guarantee you the dragon will begin combat in the same position as before, and if he wanted to pull off a dick attack he'd just give it a surprise round.

>my party then start calling me a dumb cunt.

wtf you can ask whatever you want if you think it's useful. It's not like you wanted to ruin the game or something. This kind of things make me feel a bit bad too.

the fuck is the "A" supposed to stand for? Dungeon Ass Master? Dungeon Autism Master? Didgeridoo Assortment Merchant?

There's really good odds that the type of rock is actually relevant. I throw in shit like that all the time, if you've got somebody with stonecunning in the party they might be able to see the rock has an abrupt change from natural to weird shit, indicative that the tentacles belong to some far realm beast that was gated here along with its lair.

Just

Not while I'm actively describing things.

>Dungeon Autism Master
I'll work with this one.

All this arguing in this thread over what exactly is rail roading, how necessary the price is and other bullshit is pissing me off.

This is a matter of simple and basic manners. You don't interrupt someone, you let them finish. Maybe I played with some weirdos but I was under the impression you wait until the dam says something along the lines of 'what do you do?'

If afterwards you feel like you been railroading, that is when you politely bring up your concerns instead of acting like an asshole the entire time.

>You don't interrupt someone, you let them finish.
Finally. Thanks.

>DM posts reasonable complaint on Veeky Forums
>wow, that dm detected
>let me tell you how to run your game
>you dont know what your doing

I swear to god im almost done with Veeky Forums

Okay listen you fags, as a third party to this shit I would like to throw in my hat.

Yes all those are questions of a player who is interested yet is too impatient to deal with the flowery prose, however at least one of those questions is entirely unrelated to the suggested context of the scene (is it an orc), two there's no way they'd be able to tell unless they rolled some kind of knowledge (what kind of egg is it, is it a dragon), and one is just a fucking stupid cause the GM literally said there were black scaly wings (what color is it).

Is the DM an autist for wanting to describe a scene instead of interact with his players and prompt them to roll for their questions? Yes, very much so. But that doesn't mean the player isn't being a n impatient cunt who just keeps jumping around and making assumptions which would annoy both the other players interested in the story and the DM trying to describe it. Which by the way, a description isn't railroading.

In short it's both their at fault, you're just taking the player side cause taming a newborn dragon would be really cool.

>cringe in the corner so they know it's not going to fight back.
>he thinks that stops PCs

That prose is not flowery but just about the bare minimum to evoke a feel to the scene. One adjective per thing you're describing does not purple prose make.

While I recognize and congratulate you on your quints the issue of manners on this one is still situational at best because inaction or failure of the DM to allow character access to info their character should have can result in the expenditure of in-game resources or even character death. A good example of this would be like a DM describing how a certain road starts getting progressively worse over the course of hours after leaving a town where the party was warned about bandit activity in the area, the suddenly segues the party into an ambush they she should have easily been able to prepare for.

Goddamnit you autists.

In the bandit case you just say something along the lines of "after I leave town I keep an eye out for this and this" because she was told about bandit activity.

In the case of the dragon you would say something along the lines of "well my character, as soon as he spotted the eggshells would have drawn his sword as to be ready for any incoming attacks"

I don't know what kind of DMs you all play with, but mine doesn't try to cuck me out of every situation. I don't interrupt my DM because I have the modicum amount of faith in him that when he is describing shit, like in this scenario, it's for flavor purposes. "the dragon starts moving towards you" does not mean he is trying to fuck me out of initiative or anything, it's just fucking description text for immersion.

Then again I play with old friends and not chucklefucks at random game stores or online. In that case I sympathize with your pain.

Unfortunately schedule conflicts and DMs moving across the country for a job kinds necessitate playing with random chucklefucks for those of us who can't sleep right without having 2 or 3 characters minimum in a game. I'll tell ya what really fucked with a GM is dramatically changing up one's playstyle between games. Dude was used to me playing a big dumb brute with a big dumb sword/gun. Ended up building the cyberpunk equivalent of Batman and totally throwing him off.

"You can ask all the questions you want after I finish the damn room description."

Have you tried roll20 with your old GM and group? My current group is four and we're scattered along the continental united states and one is even in Japan. Time zones are a bitch but we make it work.

It sure beats that antagonistic player-dm relationship that you seem to have going. That's really no way to play the game.

Actually we've recently gotten a game going using that system (though we moved it to discord due to technical difficulties) Only part that sucks is that we're playing 7th Sea and the DM is going even lighter on the rules than the text calls for. Last session nobody even rolled any dice. But two of the players aren't super attuned to their characters yet so they've kinda been getting shafted lately.

In the end, it's about trust. If you can't trust your DM not to punish you for letting him finish, then you need a different DM.

The DM isn't gonna reward players for interrupting him.

>OP: players shouldn't interrupt the DM as he's describing the scene
>entitled manchildren of TG: RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAILROAAD!!!
Jesus Christ I hope you faggots don't actually play.

op here

plot twist, the dragon didn’t fucking attack them. I was describing what the dragon did as they opened the door which was essentially
>stands up
>looks at party
>stretches out it’s wings to look bigger
my party didn’t even kill the damn thing. I have a new player (ranger) who didn’t know chromatic dragons are innately evil wanted to tame it. the party told her she was a dumb cunt. our monk ended up terrifying it (it was a baby dragon) so basically ended up as their tour guide through the dungeon.

I know this happens in every thread where anyone ever talks about their campaign, but I’m not complaining about my party, they’re generally fun to play with. this was one situation that I found frusterating that I thought other people could relate with. I know that my party likes it when I describe things in extreme detail, helps with immersion, because I have talked to them about it.

your ideal encounter
>you enter a room
>”well aren’t you gonna ask what’s in the room?”

Some do, and they're fuckawful DMs.

I like that kind of shit though, it means the player is engaged, hanging on my every word, is actually invested in whats going on, and is making a conscious effort to understand the world around them despite their low attention span.

I'd take an entire group of, "guys who constantly ask questions" over even one, "guy who is using video game logic".

nice digits

>What I'd it wasn't even a dragon? What if it wasn't a hostile combat? What if it was a anything else? We don't know because the DM didn't get to say.

That's the point mate. I do that shit all the time (especially if I'm running horror)*, it's a tension builder. Initiative is rolled, you don't have enough time to know what that is, so spend your opening turn wisely. Will you hold and hope it moves into the light? Will you try to use your perception to glean the nature of the figure shrouded in darkness? Will you just close the door and say fuck that room? You might even reflexively fire off a shot.

Fight or flight mother fucker.

*Use sparingly as the situation calls for it.