>Trove (yes, Xanathar PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Discord
discord.gg/HzAfUGt

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/ Which type of character do you like the most, a pure martial, a full caster, or a mix between them?

>Which type of character do you like the most, a pure martial, a full caster, or a mix between them?

Healers/Support classes, because you almost never have to roll anything in combat that has a chance of failure.

I personally like all three types.

>Which type of character do you like the most, a pure martial, a full caster, or a mix between them?
What category does Warlock fall in?

I'm a huge Gishfag. Current characters I have are a Dragonborn Paladin/Sorcerer, a Tiefling Hexblade and a High Elf Eldritch Knight.

They're martial casters.

Eldritch Blast Turret

Depends on how you play it I suppose.

Should probably have been "pure caster" instead of full caster.

>Healers/Support classes, because you almost never have to roll anything
That's a great point, but I prefer debuffers as you make enemies roll saves and you never have to roll a dice yourself

Bringing the discussion here.

Whatever they want to do today.

Nice.

I would make the orb be possible to call forth with a bonus action though. An action is a tad "expensive" to use on that, in my opinion, and keeping the orb on your bonus action is nice.

Mix. They're definitely one of the mixed.

Even an EBlock is basically taking the attack action most the time and casting sometimes.

/5eg/ discussing balance is like Veeky Forums playing magic. Here's a suggestion: If it isn't worse than the worst existing option or better than the best existing option, don't buff/nerf it to the point that it is.

Invocation idea:

>You can cast EB through the Orb, as if you were in its location.

Makes for the option of avoiding cover shenanigans. Maybe even let all spells be cast through it?

Pact of the Orb
>Your patron gives you a Glowing Orb that harbors a fragment of your Patrons power. This orb floats around your form, while it does it radiates 10 feet of bright light and 10 feet of dim light. You can use a bonus action to move the orb 30 feet. Once per long rest, you can use an action to cause the Orb to shine with a burst of energy. While in this state all invisible objects and creatures within the radius become visible and cannot turn invisible until while inside the light, this light also illuminates all magical darkness within the radius, and all illusions are suppressed while under the light. This effect lasts for 1 minute. Your orb then disappears and cannot be brought back until you take a short rest. You can dismiss the orb to an extradimensional space (no action required). You can use a bonus action to summon it back.

I'm sure there is a better wording for this.

5eg is also extremely hypocritical.

Sounds a bit powerful. Suppressing magical darkness, revealing invisible creatures AND suppressing illusions is quite powerful.

Compare to what you actually get from the ordinary pact boons.

It's situational as fuck.

True, but compared to
>Magical sword you can dismiss or summon
>Book with a few cantrips
>Slightly unique Find Familiar
Then this is significantly better, by a very large margin.

Making the illumination ability an invocation would be fine though.

>Running Lost Mines of Phandelver
>Party is CN Tiefling Warlock, LG Human Paladin of Tyr, CG Wood Elf Rogue
>The adventure offers a way for "Party members devoted to justice and smiting of evildoers" to join the Order of the Gauntlet, "party members interested in power and control" to join the Zhentarim, and "party members interested in enacting positive changes via secrecy and information" to join the Harpers

Well, shit.
Should I do it? Should I secretly let them each join a society like that? Their roleplaying so far makes all of them perfectly suited.
Or would that tear the party apart too much?

Pact of the Blanket
>A mysterious cloak is granted to you by your Patron. This cloak has a strange appearance, and can shift to match the mood and preference of the Warlock.
>While wearing this as a cloak, you are immune to the effects of harsh weather and temperatures.
>You can as a bonus action make the cloak match your surroundings, giving advantage on stealth checks while concealed by shadows or darkness. This requires concentration.
>When sleeping and using the Blanket, you ignore any temperatures that can disrupt your sleep, and you can reroll any HD spent to regain health during a short rest.

Maybe remove a feature or two.

>You can as a bonus action make the cloak match your surroundings, giving advantage on stealth checks while concealed by shadows or darkness. This requires concentration.

>hiding under your blankie in the dark is better than being plain invisible

To make all spells castable through an object that can't be killed/targeted/destroyed is a bit much IMO. Familiars/Chainlocks can sort of do that already so I don't want to step on their toes. I can think of an Invocation that grants them an extra spell slot if that helps as far as spellcasting goes.

Pact Holder's Orb
>Prerequest: Pact of the Orb, Level 12
>You can expend one Warlock spell slot and store it in the Orb. The Orb can hold only one Warlock spell slot at a time. While you are within 5 feet of the orb you can use your action to regain the expended spell slot back.

Feels kinda strong to give them the best feature for the Rod of the Pact Bringer, so I'm open to a better more balanced version of this if anyone has an idea.

What if I drop the suppression of Illusion/Magic Darkness? Or I could make it so you choose which one of the three illumination features activate when you do this.

They already took out the other ability to make it an invocation for this weaker ability. A light source basically doesn't count as a benefit since the light cantrip exists.

Pact Sword benefits are a weapon that can't be taken away and the ability to overcome damage reduction at low levels.

Book benefits are ritual casting and cantrips.

Chain benefits are an invisible flying familiar with intelligence that can spy for you or take the help action to give you advantage in combat.

One per day reveal illusions and darkness isn't out of line.

Hey, it isn't just an ordinary blanket!

But alright, axe that and make it an invocation.

What are some monsters that live in the sewers other than, you know, giant rats?

>To make all spells castable through an object that can't be killed/targeted/destroyed is a bit much IMO.
I missed that, I assumed it could be targeted and destroyed. Yeah, then that a bit much.

I like the spell slot idea. Warlocks really need soms innate ways of getting spell slots.

oozes, maybe ghouls and some kind of degenerate humanoids.

Oozes, goblins, kobolds, Otyugh, cultists, ghouls, cranium rats, secret illithid colony, freemasons

I didn't mean it's OP, I meant it's weird when you compare it to actual invisibility, since it's BETTER than invisibililty, which only lets you plainly hide.

>Book benefits are ritual casting
Nope. That's an invocation.

True on the other parts.

If thry have to choose 1 of them, it sounds more reasonable. Having an on-demand illusion removed (with no limitation, so could potentially suppress a high level illusion at level 3) is already really good, but as long as you have to decide, it becomes more versatile, and less of a "Fuck all illusions, invisible dudes and magical darkness in this area for a full minute"

Any DM who ran Sunless Citadel. Any tips?

This does need shadows or cover of some kind though. So only better if you already have ways to hide.

Thanks. Would a troll make sense?

otyugh are neat

Late but
Again, you don't 'need' 15 strength. It is not an absolute requirement. 13 wisdom is an absolute requirement, however. You can also just use medium armour and lose 1 AC, it's not really a big deal and also means you don't have to pick a heavy armour cleric.

You don't need war caster for running around with a shield and weapon, you can just drop the weapon at the end of your turn.
Though, yeah, don't assume full plate wizards run around with weapons. They don't really have a lot of melee synergy.

Yeah sure, anything that wants to eat garbage and live in filth would fit right in.

Lawful Good Cavalier in shining armor > Paladin

>Suppressing magical darkness
Nigga you're a warlock you can take an invocation that lets you BENEFIT from magical darkness
and it's situational otherwise
With find familiar your familiar can use the help action on an invisible creature to cancel out your disadvantage against it
or with find familiar the familiar can go through an illusion to reveal it's an illusion
Or the familiar can toss flour on an invisible creature or something
Or you can use one of the other counters to invisible creatures such as faerie fire or whatever as a feylock.

In any case, pact of the chain and having access to all fucking rituals with an invocation as well as some cantrips like guidance is way more powerful than a very situational ability that just reveals a few things. Honestly doesn't seem quite as worth it when it's once/day though, I feel it should be at-will if you contain it within the 10ft illumination or so, because 10ft isn't 'automatically discover all illusions and shit' because quite often illusions are further away than that.

Seconded.

Right, but you are still just hiding, rather than being actually invisible, or not in sight at all. I mean, wherever you CAN hide to begin with should be kinda shady anyway.

Which one do you think should be better at hiding:
-guy standing in a shadow with an admittedly really cool predator-camo cape
-guy standing in a shadow who is actually perfectly invisible not "you can see him if you squint".

Or think about how if the guy is invisible anyway, why would the cape further help him hide?

I still don't think it's OP, I just think you'd need to change the fluff of the ability to reflect that it makes you hide better than just with sight. It makes you hide by dampening you to the senses of everyone.

hey can you guys clarify something for me; i had iot in my head based on the near constant conversations on here about like cheesing a beholder with darkness or some bullshit that when you involve something like magical darkness or fog cloud or whatever both parties have disadvantage attacking eachother (not counting the beholder eyebeams, i understand why they don't have a legal target), but actually wouldn't you be getting disadvantage from attacking a target you can't see but also advantage from attacking a target that is functionally blinded by not being able to see the source of the attack, cancelling out to just a normal attack? or am i missing some rules clarification somewhere?

Attacking an enemy you can't see has weird rules.

>"I attack the space I think he's in"
>roll at disadvantage
>DM checks his notes
>"You miss."

You don't know whether you missed because of disadvantage because you targeted the wrong spot or if your disadvantage screwed you.

Blindfighting is statistically nigh impossible.

So I'm a bit torn on the flare effect, so I'm not 100% sure if it needs to be a choice or if it should show all of them. I'm siding on the safe side for now and making it so you have to choose.

You automatically know the position of anyone you can't see unless they take the 'hide' action, so other user is wrong.
Regardless of whether the enemy is hidden and you have to guess where their space is, even if that did happen, you would never have advantage or disadvantage.

Advantage and disadvantage can never stack, so when attacking into or out of a fog cloud or any such circumstance unless someone can see through the darkness/fog cloud there will never be advantage or disadvantage.

Darkness doesn't impose the Blinded condition, even though it narratively has the same outcome.

I've never played a single wizard in any edition of DnD/PF. Pitch me your favorite build/concept/whatever for wizard, /5eg/

Ranger "tier"
Martial with considerable utility, magic as a tool rather than a weapon.

>You automatically know the position of anyone you can't see unless they take the hide action

No, you only automatically know the position of someone you can't see when they take the attack action.

You can be 'hidden' without taking the hide action with darkness.

No, they are many things but neat or nice are not among them.

Both me and my players have trouble getting our head around the Hexblade patron. It's a weapon, but you don't wield it, but it grants you weapon-related shit.

So I'm working to refluff it a bit. XGE mentions the Raven Queen as the creator of these, but she's not in FR and we play that setting. But there is a Plane of Shadow/Shadowfell, which is also mentioned in XGE. So what I came up with is the patron is actually a very ancient Shadow Dragon that resides in the Shadowfell, and grants a weapon from his hoard to the warlock. The weapon is a conduit for the dragon's power.

I know this doesn't quite work with the hex aspect, so what do you think? Has anyone else refluffed the Hexblade?

If they rolled stealth before entering combat then sure, that's part of the idea of them hiding in the first place. If you just walk into darkness mid-combat, you aren't automatically hidden, otherwise what's the point of the 'hide' action?

You basically just take the hide action out of combat before entering combat when you sneak up on shit.

>Has anyone else refluffed the Hexblade?
Read the book

>It's a weapon

No, it's the being that MAKES the weapons, and only Blade Pacts get weapons from them.

>BEHOLD, I AM EDGICUS, LORD OF THE DEMIPLANE OF SORROW
>I WILL GRANT YOU POWER ... FOR A PRICE
>YOU CAN HAVE THIS SWORD OF ETERNAL DAMNATION, WHICH EATS THE SOULS OF THOSE WHO FALL TO ITS MIGHT.
>YOU CAN HAVE THIS NEAT BOOK OF INCANTATIONS IF THE SWORD ISN'T YOUR THING
>OR I CAN SEND YOU A PET. EVERYONE WANTS IMPS THOUGH, COULD I INTEREST YOU IN A PSEUDOQUASIT?

>what's the point of the hide action

Not everyone can conjure darkness from their fingertips, user, and there are ways to take the hide action that don't involve darkness at all.

If you walk into a 30 foot diameter sphere, no one can see which square you stop in. Ergo, you're hidden.

If you read the book it can be just some sort of object, not necessarily a sword that forms a contract on behalf of someone such as the raven queen.
Also if raven queen gets a mention then doesn't that basically mean she's in FR now?

Is there a magic academy or alchemists lab in town?
Think radioactice pet goldfish.

Copy pasting from previous threads...

>Your pact was made from an entity from the Shadowfell that manifests itself in Sentient Magic Weapons (this entity could come to you in the form of a Sentient Magic Weapon, a fragment of one, a shadow, formless, or whatever you want it to look like). This entity could be the Raven Queen who forged the first of these weapons and is using you to manipulate the events on the Material Plane for her own goals OR it could be an entirely different/new entity manipulating you for their own goals (Because the Raven Queen flavor is speculation), OR this entity could be working for an even stronger creature that has their own goals and aspirations. In the end, you are being used as a weapon for whatever Patron you have made a pact with/perceive you have made a pact with.

Also, because so many people seem to want a sentient magic weapon...

>You do not get a Sentient Weapon as per making a pact with this entity, but when you channel your will through the Hex Warrior feature to a weapon, you are using the influence of your Patron, therefore, your Patron should be able to talk/communicate through that weapon forging a pseudo-sentient weapon. If you do go Pact of the Blade you can have your Pact Weapon talk with this, and appear however you want it to.

>Have your warlock make a pact with a sentient magic weapon/item from Shadowfell/Lower Plane. But in actuality, you have made a Pact with a stronger more incomprehensible being that has its own motives and is using this pact to achieve those motives.

>Make a pact to become a Magical Girl.

>Make a pact to become a Power Ranger.

>Make a pact with a sentient magic weapon/sentient item that holds the soul of someone.

>Make a pact with a spooky creature who curses people from the Shadowfell/Lower Plane and leave it at that.

>Have the fallen souls of an entire village grant you the power of curses after they died.

Chapter 7. 'An invisible creature can always attempt to hide'. This shows that either being invisible does not mean you are automatically hidden or somebody has put a redundant clause in the rulebook.
Chapter 9. "When you attack a target that you can't see, you have disadvantage on the attack roll. This is true whether you're guessing the target's location or you're targeting a creature you can hear but not see."
You don't have to guess the target's location if you can hear the creature.
The hide action makes it so creatures can't hear you if their passive perception is not higher than your stealth roll for making the hide action.

Walking into darkness alone does not hide you, and that would be overpowered as fuck if it were the case.

Conjuration wizard who in combination with a familiar, likes to materialize dangerous items and sprinkle them around battlefields and cityscapes.

Alternatively, Illusion wizard gets really fun in high levels.

What monster races from volos are balanced?

What if cantrips didn't scale and EB was a warlock feature that scaled with warlock level?

What are mechanically and narratively good class picks for a Tabaxi character in ToA ?

>What if cantrips didn't scale

You never have any reason to use fire bolt over a bow/crossbow, except style points I guess.

>and EB was a warlock feature that scaled with warlock level?

This should be the case regardless if other cantrips scale or not. Same with Hex.

Ah. I bow to your superior Ruling-Fu. Well done user.

I always understood that the sentence from chapter 9 equated "I can hear him but not see him" and "I'm swinging wildly" to the degree that both effectually cause the latter.

Docendo discimus

Cantrips should scale but Eldritch blast should be treated like Extra attack and add shots on certain warlock levels to prevent Sorlock cheese.

Almost everything but Yuan-ti.

Huh, I wouldn't think the aasimar that can just regularly get huge damage bonuses are balanced.

Would yuan-ti be balanced without magic resistance?

Happy Thanksgiving /5eg/

The Zhentarim and Harpers work pretty much in secret, and I doubt they'd assign jobs to the party member that would go against the wishes of the others, because there's nothing subtle about that. Do it and assign tasks that they can carry out without being straight up shitty to each other or NPCs.

All good ideas/points.

As a DM I would let them have a sentient weapon, but the problem is that such a weapon, even without any special abilities has to have an INT and WIS score, right? So you now have a familiar that can do at least Knowledge checks for him.

Probably, though Poison Immunity is pretty strong too.

As for Aasimar, it's only once per long rest. Balance your encounter/rest ratio and it won't be as strong as it looks.

They seem on par with tieflings without it. Tieflings get an extra spell at 5th level, yuan ti get full resistance

Zhentarim are pretty open these days. They switched from shadowy cult to proper mercenaries.

One problem with this is that as a hexblade, I am never ever going to channel my will through a weapon instead of eldritch blast.

That would have been a much cooler idea than what ultimately we would have gotten.

If you take Improved Pact weapon then your weapon becomes your implement and you actually can shoot eldritch blasts out of it.

but why would I waste an invocation on that if all I'm going to be doing is eldritch blasting?

you're the one who wanted to channel your will through a weapon.

Thief Rogue is an obvious one. Ranger would also be a nice pick.

Because it's also your arcane focus, which means that since you can summon it at will you're never without your arcane focus.

what no, I just picked hexblade level 1 because it makes my eldritch blasts even better.

Well what Pact boon are you taking then? If you take Book then you've got a sentient soul sucking book, if you take blade you've got a sentient soul sucking blade, if you take chain what the fuck is wrong with you? Why?

It doesn't get a lot of love, but I really dig the Book. It's got neat flavor and some slick Incantations.

>GM wants to run an Eberron campaign
>Considers making a Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut.
>GM gies on a long rant about how wrong Dragonborns are, and that they should never have been a playable race, yadda yadda
>Okay, I'll just make a human Rogue then, had a neat concept for that anyway.
>12 sessions in, we find a village of Dragonborns, and we "don't find anything odd about it, we've seen a few adventurer Dragonborn before, and they are that uncommon.
>Continue to spend 8 sessions here due to the plot
Really...?

Is this just the GM keeping his snowflake race to himself here, or what the fuck is going on?

As opposed to the stuff of Shadowfell, I went with something different.

My Hexblade gets his power from a being that resides in the Banehold. In 3e this was the plane where Bane (duh), and Beshaba resided among others. Since Bane is quite fond of weapons and war, being the god of tyranny, and Beshaba being the goddess of bad luck, the hex and curse thematic fits kind of well.

Not sure if the plane is canon anymore, but my DM seems to be okay with it. I have yet to figure out what the patron actually is as I have no idea what kind of beings reside there aside from the gods mentioned.

I told him it's "some kind of outsider", but apparently there is no such category anymore, and it's obviously can't be a fiend. Fuck this, desu senpai.

You're probably a degenerate. That's why.

>Is this just the GM keeping his snowflake race to himself here, or what the fuck is going on?
Sounds like. You should hurt him.

They're not dragonborn, it's a city of illusions
Or your DM is a dick

My god this is ridiculous. The warlock is ridiculous. WHat is this? Animu, the class?

>I made a bargain with something far greater than myself regardless of the consequences.

Warlocks are the mayors of Trope Town, primarily voted to position by the edgy constituents.

Your GM is a dick about dragonborn; I don’t necessarily disagree with giant opinion on them but disallowing them then treating them like it ain’t no thang was a dick move.

However
>Eberron game
When did Tiamat and Bahamut become a thing in Eberron? The fuck they doing inserting their Realms deities into my Eberron?

Tg I need a magic book, of the uncommon or rare variety, preferably one that attunes to Wizards

Eberron Golden Rule. If it exists in other setting, it exists in Eberron. It's kinda written in the campaign setting.

Tiamat is the demon overlord of greed on Eberron, Bahamut doesn't exist, however... I think.

The only ones I can find are all Legendary or Artifact tier except for the Enduring spellbook that is common.

This Book of Exalted Deeds will attune nicely to anyone. It's a great reading. Here, try it. Touch the screen. Go ahead...

Sorry... i dont know the setting very well. GM seemed fine with Bahamut being there, it was only the Dragonborn part that got him triggered.

To be frank, I am not even enjoying the Eberron setting so far. It seems to be a clusterfuck of "yeah whatever.", and magic is far too common for my liking.

Or maybe (and likely) the GM is just not very good at portraying it.

Eberron feels like D&D's attempt to grab the steam-punk crowd with things like the artificer, the lightning rail, and the Dragonmarked houses.

>The Eberron Campaign Setting sourcebook lists the following movies as inspirations for Eberron's tone and attitude: Brotherhood of the Wolf, Casablanca, From Hell, The Maltese Falcon, The Mummy, The Name of the Rose, Pirates of the Caribbean, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Sleepy Hollow.

According to Wikipedia at least, but no wonder it feels like a clusterfuck when your inspirations branch from so many clashing sources.