Now that Stranger Things has made role-playing games cool, how do you see the community changing in the next few years?

Now that Stranger Things has made role-playing games cool, how do you see the community changing in the next few years?

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/07/11/cologne-germany-sexual-assaults/86939142/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This doesn't look like big bang theory to me

That's a good question, it would be stupid not to come up with something normie friendly so you can get them in with something quick and dirty like a board game with roleplaying elements to them.

Lots more shrieking from beta losers who don't have anything better going on in their lives and need to feel superior to normies at elfgames. They'll probably shitpost a lot about how this normie invasion is the final straw and they're "almost" ready to quit playing, but they will never actually go through with it.

Sales of 5e will increase, and potentially more people will PLAY 5e. Potentially a handful of other systems like PF will get some traffic. Most likely, nothing will happen. D&D's been in the mainstream before.

Don't know. But now the hot chick from back home wants to see how those Ar-Pee-Jis play like and wants a 1-on-1 intro, so wish me fucking luck.

If you hate the community so much, why join it user?
Probably because you feel in good company from shrieking beta losers I'm guessing.

I started with B/X in 1983. The sooner filthy casuals move on to something else the better. We certianly don’t need more rules light narravitist games. That being said if you come to play with us and not fix, “improve” or change tabletop rpgs I offer a hearty grognard harrumph to you. Welcome, now get.

What is this "Stranger Things", and should I be mad about it? Also, why is Dipper not wearing the right hat?

How much do you want the hobby diluted, changed and ruined? I want to see lots of people playing rpgs like it was in the early 1980s but I don’t want it to changed into something entirely different.

>Actually thinking thats true.

>ebin greentext line of "yer rong"

Not an argumetn.

Netflix series that recently got its 2nd season. I don't feel like I wasted time watching it but I don't feel a need to see it again. It was pretty alright for light horror.

It is.

Is just that "more important" doesn't make the other part "not important".It's like if you are taking a math test and trigonometry is 50% of your score and logic is 30%, trigonometry is more important than logic, but you are not going to get an A without logic (and you are going to fail if you only study trig).

It's not, but its implying a lack of understanding between the synergy of story-telling and mechanics in a game.

There'll be an influx of shitty players who are only doing it because it's popular, an out flux of shitty players who can't stand that it's popular, finding a good game will remain rare.

To fucking late. People are idiots who don't understand why 'rule of cool' is important, why arguing rules with the GM detracts from the game, that the idea behind cooperative storytelling is based on cooperation, and that games are for fun and play and not autistic rules lawyers to tell you why your game is shit simply because they can do math good..

80s influenced lovecraftian horror series and the main characters are a bunch of d&d nerds

they really don't do that much D&D.

Do they play other TTRPGs?

Interesting. I might check it out and give it the ole' 3 episode try.

nope, just plot happens.

Do they get stuffed in the locker or their money taken by jocks?

Fucking luck, user!

This. I'm going to enjoy fully well adjusted people coming into the hobby instead of more outcasts and losers. Fuck ThatGuys.

Even BETTER! One of them gets threatened by a bully that he's going to cut out the dudes teeth!

>he's going to cut out the dudes teeth
What? This sounds so stupid.

Hardly anyone cares about a children's show

Well, yeah, they don't do much onscreen because they're too busy getting involved in an RL Chronicles of Darkness game.

They're introduced playing D&D and D&D mechanics/lore is how they contextualize the weird stuff they encounter in their actual adventure. I'd say it's pretty evident that between the four of them they play a shit ton of Dungeons & Dragons.

it's not, just watch it
the bully storyline gets resolved in a satisfying way

It's just dumb shit that an angry kid says. He pretty obviously wasn't gonna follow through.

in just the first 3 days 15 million people started watching season 2
pretty huge considering it's not on traditional tv and hasn't got a lead in

Less rancid overweight assholes and more well-adjusted people. They won't change the actual games like idiots think because:

1. Anyone who actually gets into TTRPG because of this will have already had an interest in sci-fi and fantasy, but felt they couldn't act on it beforehand, or didn't really know what TTRPGs were.

2. The idea that 'normies' will need stuff dumbed down for them is retarded. These people aren't idiots. The idea that someone can't handle TTRPGs because they've never played one before is absolutely, hilariously narcissistic and delusional. You really think that fat, slovenly, dumb cunt you see playing 3.5 at your LGS occasionally is smarter than your average normie? He's not.

'Normies' are a dying breed, anyway. Escapist sci-fi and fantasy are becoming the dominant genres in fiction and people's tastes are following in step.

rude

Why do you stupid fucks WANT more nornies in TTRPGs?
We don't want or need them.
They add nothing.
Ever seen critical roll? Where some ugly jewess shrieks when she rolls a 20?
That is the future you are asking for.
Already I am seeing my local RPG community tainted by vidya spergs who want to relate everything to Bloodborne and Skyrim.
Things will only get worse as more and more normalfucks join the hobby and then it into beer and pretzels comedy night.
You faggots have the same accepting tolerant mindset as the eurofucks who let in thousands of refugees.
Then on new years night hundreds of women were raped by muslims. And sharia law is implemented in parts of London.
There is a lesson to be learned here.
But Veeky Forums is too obsessed with blind tolerance to learn it.

>Where some ugly jewess shrieks when she rolls a 20?

I'd prefer this to some ugly obese neckbeard who shrieks when he rolls a 20.

>cooperative storytelling is based on cooperation,
That's not what an RPG is, nignog.

>The idea that 'normies' will need stuff dumbed down for them is retarded
See: D&D 5th edition
>they are just as smart
The issue here is not intellect, but rather the amount of effort they are willing to put into learning and mastering a rules system.

Normal players don't do that though. Only normalfucks who got into the hobby on a wave of Tumblr greentexts d&d stories and think that if you roll a 20 something hilarious has to happen.

Slow down there Jack Chick, it doesn't take a l33t RPG player to know that most of the people already playing RPGs are well adjusting and not fat neckbeards. Its always been an inclusive hobby of like minded people doing their thing.

take your stereotypes back to the 80's and overdose on cocaine in a disco

>See: D&D 5th edition

>backing off from the game branded "NOT DND" by screeching customers is dumbing down
>fixing the intentionally disbalanced and bloated system is dumbing down

>5e is better balanced than 4e
O I am laffin

>Then on new years night hundreds of women were raped by muslims

You mean twenty-nine women were allegedly raped, only ten of which were confirmed through forensic results. There were a lot of assaults and harassment but the idea that there was a mass-rape is completely made up.

>And sharia law is implemented in parts of London

Except it isn't. There are Sharia councils in Muslim communities that oversee business in those communities, and have no ability or need to actually pass judgements, nor any power to overrule the courts of the country. These councils literally just hand out advice about theology to Muslim business owners.

Why can't Amerifats actually research anything?

Taking them out is only a temp solution, fill the void like goatse's ass

second point was about 3.5 => 5 change
My train of thought was "back off from 4 to 3.5, design from there"

Britbong here. this faggot is incorrect. I advise a little research into the matter.

I don't know, why can't you research anything. You aren't any more correct than that sperging faggot, in fact, you are probably less correct. But I'm gonna leave the /pol/ shit alone and rest in the comfort of knowing you don't know shit.

>See: D&D 5th edition

What, an objectively superior version of 3.5? That's not dumbing down, that's improvement.

>The issue here is not intellect, but rather the amount of effort they are willing to put into learning and mastering a rules system.

This is an issue with everyone. I've run into plenty of stereotypical nerds who are too fucking lazy to learn the rules.

You're right, normal players don't do that. And most of the normal players I've encountered are essentially just 'normies' who like fantasy and related stuff. Anyone who gets into TTRPG through these shows will be like this. You don't have to worry about Chad Thundercock who scorns all things fantastical getting into D&D because Stranger Things.

I've met plenty of 'geeky' players who do do that dumb shit though. And worse.

Agreed. Hopefully the menacing shadow of OH NO NORMAL PEOPLE will chase away the rancid assholes though.

>but the idea that there was a mass-rape is completely made up.
You mean covered up.

usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/07/11/cologne-germany-sexual-assaults/86939142/
Food for thought.

Nice bait

That actually doesn't contradict anything he says, you know. In fact, one reported rape is lower than his number.

>What, an objectively superior version of 3.5?
5e is far from superior to 3.5.
Proficiency is an improvement, Dex to damage with ranged weapons is an improvement, action economy is better.
That's about it.

We have muslims on this board, they announce their presence when it seems beneficial to their cause. You can do the math.

Christ user, are you too stupid to form your own opinion or do you make one up based off a single line of dialogue?

Let me guess, you got those numbers from snopes?

Grappling/tripping rules are better. Spellcasting is overall better. Concentration is great. Even multiclassing caster classes is better. Skill list is better.

Am I missing something?

Why don't you tell me what powers sharia councils actually have, then? Because in reality they basically just exist to provide divorces and business practices.

I'm absolutely correct. /pol/ likes to assault and harassment reports as rapes, in reality the number is far far smaller. That said, it's fucking atrocious that people acted this way and I hope if they try it again this year the German police are out in force.

>Spellcasting is overall better.
No it's not.
>multiclassing is better
You mean more restricted
>grappling is better
Yeah you can just grab someone pointing a spear at you without getting hurt at all. The AoO should have stayed, it was only removed because martial cucks whined about not being able to do literally everything.

>people
You mean young male Muslim refugees, who make up probably like 80% of the refugee population.
You'll notice there haven't been many terrorist attacks in Poland and Hungary.
Hmmmm.

>kid is wearing hat indoors in a basement at night time

Explain this

>No it's not.
Yes it is.
>You mean more restricted
Because of the secondary stats? I'm sorry you have to take Wizard first if you want to multiclass into it with 8 INT
>Yeah you can just grab someone pointing a spear at you without getting hurt at all. The AoO should have stayed, it was only removed because martial cucks whined about not being able to do literally everything.

You don't get an AoO when you "try to just hit someone in the face" either. I mean.. You would, since you are probably a basement dwelling grog, but we can assume anyone attempting a grapple is actually trained to do this shit.

>You mean young male Muslim refugees

Yes, we've established that this is what we're talking about. I don't need to specify, I assume you're not a moron and know who I'm referring to. Jesus, you niggas are touchy.

Either way, the idea that every one of them is a rapist is retarded.

He grew horns and attempts to hide them

>getting graded by your DM
Kinky.

You'll notice that Poland and Hungary are unimportant and pretty small (t. Hungarian.). You'll also notice that the only explosion related to refugees was one of them blowing himself up accidentally in a camp. Basically none of the terror attacks had been done by anyone with a refugee status.

>Either way, the idea that every one of them is a rapist is retarded.
Not all of them, just a disproportionate number of them.

>t. Hungarian
I love how you constantly shift nationalities to fit your argument. All boards should have flags enabled.

Are you high? They literally portray it as a game for nerdy little boys who can't talk to girls. If you're holding your breath for girls to start talking to you because a TV show had D&D on it, you're out of your gourd, user.

>You don't get an AoO when you "try to just hit someone in the face"
No, because you have a weapon in your hand, retard. Trying to grab someone pointing a knife at you means dealing with the knife first.
Also grappling in 5e does pretty much fuckall unless you have the feat.

Probably not disproportionate, lots of rape happens. What is disproportionate was their ability and willingness to organize into groups on one night.

It's kinda interesting that the western rapist is apparently a solitary predator that goes after people they're familiar with, and the eastern rapist is a pack animal that goes after people they don't know. That's an interesting disparity that I'd like researched.

God's speed user!

... have it occurred to you that maybe I'm a different guy?

Whatever, work is almost over, I'll go grab a gyros at Ahkbar or whatever his name is on my way home in your honor, user.

Plenty of migrants have committed crimes, though. I take issue with the use of "refugee" in this thread. A refugee is legally recognized, has duties in exchange for the incredibly generous charity they are receiving from an outside party. You don't become a refugee just by showing up, demanding free shit, and raping anything with a cunt while you wait for your handouts.

I'm the Brit you've been arguing with mostly, and I'm not him. More than one person lives in Europe and knows you're wrong.

>Because of the secondary stats? I'm sorry you have to take Wizard first if you want to multiclass into it with 8 INT
You can't cast spells at all with a sub average intelligence. And there are no ability score requirements for taking a class in the first place, so why should there be for multiclassing.
>inb4 you manufacture some bullshit reason to justify what the devs did and not because you actually think it's a good idea.

>I take issue with the use of "refugee" in this thread.
Me too.

Keep that shit on /pol/.

>No, because you have a weapon in your hand, retard. Trying to grab someone pointing a knife at you means dealing with the knife first.

Same for trying to punch them. Or trying to stab someone who has a longer weapon.

Grapple is an attack action, if whatever method you use to attack can deal with that knife, you can grapple. (unrelated, but I also allow grapples with weapon in hand because I have a hard-on for HEMA anyway).

>Also grappling in 5e does pretty much fuckall unless you have the feat.

The feat is a trap. Grappling in 5e is great, you just combine it with shove (and having high athletics).

>Probably not disproportionate
Nice source.
Sexual assault in Sweden has skyrocketed the last few years. Guess what else has skyrocketed?
I'll look for a source for you but honestly you're so insistent on making excuses for a bunch of brown cucks who would love to hack your head off if they could get away with it, that I question whether it's worth my time.

This is the board for talking about tabletop roleplaying games.

Well if you're a Brit you'd get arrested for posting anything to the contrary, wouldn't you?

An influx of new people could be great. I have been in a fairly active RPG community for almost ten years now and when new blood doesn't come along for a while the stagnation is pretty evident. New people, new ideas, new games. It could be great. Only a shame there wasn't more D&D in ST2.

Pic unrelated.

STOP GETTING NASTY AND POLITICAL

WE DON'T CARE

Roleplaying games have been popular out here in Seattle for quite some time.

Honestly though it mostly a bunch of hipsters

>You can't cast spells at all with a sub average intelligence.
... yes you can? They will have bad saves/attacks, but you can just focus on buffs.

>And there are no ability score requirements for taking a class in the first place, so why should there be for multiclassing.

Because taking the class represents all the work put into becoming the class right up until first level, while just picking up 1 level on it in a shorter period of time requires talent.

I think it's a pointless restriction overall, but that also means it's not really a big deal.

>Same for trying to punch them
That's why unarmed strikes used to provoke AoOs if you didn't have a feat. But that was too complicated and people whined that their fighter couldn't punch 200 goblins to death like an uber badass, so it was changed.
And grappling with a weapon in hand is harder, if anything. If you're in fucking hema you should know it's hard to grapple some one who has a weapon, whether they have a weapon or not. Have you never been in a fight of some kind? Did you never have brothers?

Of course you should be mad about it. It's relatively popular. You should be mad about anything popular.

Italy is literally the Landing zone for most refugees, yet there haven't been any attacks. Explain.

>... yes you can? They will have bad saves/attacks, but you can just focus on buffs.
I'm talking about 3.5 which wasn't an ableism- aware hugbox where anyone could do anything and nig- I mean, half orcs, can't have an intelligence penalty because DAYS RAYciss and would mean orc spellcasters are 5% worse at their jobs.

>Sexual assault in Sweden has skyrocketed the last few years
Tbh it didn't skyrocket but increased by about 10% since 2012. In the same period sexual violence in UK almost doubled.

Probably none at all beyond adding a few more people to it. RPG design was going in it's current direction before [show you dislike] ever aired, and the representation stuff is part of broader cultural shifts that would have taken place anyway. Of course that won't stop grogs from being personally offended that they can't keep pretending their hobbies make them special/intellectual

Cause fuckall of them stay in Italy? There also haven't been attacks in other countries full of refugees. But there sure have been a lot in France where there at fuckloads of Muslims.

And none of those attacks had been committed by refugees but instead by people who had been living there either for long before any kind of crisis or even before the Arab Spring, or were born in Europe.

>Guess what else has skyrocketed?

Nothing, rape rates have steadily increased in Sweden since long before the current refugee crisis, when the vast majority of immigrants were eastern europeans. This has more to do with changes in the way rape is reported than anything else.

Enjoy

don't respond to or debate /pol/ shitters.

>This has more to do with changes in the way rape is reported than anything else.
Lol you're full of shit.
>no they haven't
Prove it.