So now that the dust has settled, what does Veeky Forums think of Xanathar's Guide to Everything?

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasynamegenerators.com/
python.org/downloads/
20000-names.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It makes some of the subclasses in the PHB look pretty sad.

Fun as fuck, useful and flexible rules, enjoyably light hearted. Wish it had additional feats and Mystic too.

A great argument for playtesting. Notice how everything that was playtested is sane, but everything that was NOT (mainly spells) is fucking ridiculous.
Also notice how Wizards thought that Theurgy and Loremaster Wizard are a totally great idea, until they've got huge negative feedback. If they didn't release content in Unearhed Arcanas, they would not be playtested, but released as they were.

Imagine Loremaster getting an official release in an official splat.

That section in chapter one called "This is Your Life" is put together like a hot mess. It took me like 30 minutes going back and for through tables to generate one character.

It's the only thing I really looked at, after I went through it I sat down and made program to roll it all out for me, takes 10 seconds now.

18 pages of names. I'm still mad.

Honestly, I think it quickly became about as important as the core books in my tables. Was a hell of a lot more fun to play with than the last few modules.

Fuck you, that's one of the most useful things I got out of it as a DM.

Care to post the program?

Well fuck you, you could open google and find 10000 pages of names for all your magic realms and beyond.

Solid splatbook. Adds some rules for stuff that probably needed them. Makes some of the better UA official.

I'm hoping for a 5.5e or, at the very least, more web content like the beastmaster ranger's revision to bring them into line.

Yup fantasynamegenerators.com/

Should have just called it “Unearthed Arcana Vol 1”, since that’s basically what this is and it’s obviously just going to be the first in a line of splats released of shit they’ve already given us months ago. Really hoping the next book is an actual setting or something.

Ironically, this was my favorite part of the book. Friend of mine and I had a blast making our characters and seeing how their lives intersected before the game started.

A lot of the content on the book felt like it belonged to the PHB in the first place, making me believe the 5th edition was released incomplete.
Tables about character backstories, which are pretty much useless. That and an entire chapter about names, specially human names. There's so much of them now.
>Implying people play as Humans
Many spells that were already released in the Elemental Evil supplement, clearly used as filler.
Plus the UA content, that well, it was UA, so we already had it.
In the overall, it is a solid book, although it felt kinda "meh". I shelled $49,95 sheckles for it, and I'm regreting it. So, see for yourselves. I should had just downloaded this shit for free.

I'd rather stick to names that don't have ten apostrophes in them.

I think the DM tools inside and the random chargen and character name lists are pretty cool. As someone who mostly plays Martials, though, it wasn't very useful for much else. I also prefer the Racial Feats from the Unearthed Arcana to the ones in XGtE.

Coulda pre ordered for $22, well worth it then imo.

On one hand, I’m happy that we finally have functioning rules for how skill checks interact with item proficiencies, and basic rules for stuff like crafting items and other downtime activities.

On the other hand, that all probably should have been in the PHB or DMG to begin with.

The amount of name tables and random encounters seems like a waste of pages to me.

Going to use a butchered name of tiefling for true name of fiends.

Sure, it's not much but I'm pretty happy with it. It's coded in python 3.6 using IDLE

pastebin 0PvP33nc

I'm going to be adding physical descriptions next, hair color, eye color, height, etc.

But I don't want sanity
I want fun

t. salty wizardfag, who's sad he didn't get to break the game ten times as hard

That's...great, and all, but do you have a compiled version for those of us who don't program for a living?

hasbroshit

Python script isn't really compiled, you run it with a python interpreter. I use IDLE, which anyone can get from this page: python.org/downloads/

I can offer some steps though

1. Download and install python 3.6.3 2.
2. Run IDLE and press CTRL+N it should open a window.
3. Copy paste the code I posted into the new window.
4. Press F5 and it'll ask you to save it, do so as whatever you'd like

The program should then run. If you've got something other than windows it probably won't.

Introduces Kensai so I can be the katana man of my dreams

I don't think you understand how helpless normies are when it comes to programing.

Then good ol' Gygax has you covered

The Xanathar’s commentary throughout the book fluctuates between amusing and tiresome, save for the glory of the celestial bat train of thought.

I like, in general, the framing of the subclasses. The added spells are interestingof and when i chose to use them as a DM. Encounter charts and common magic items are useful; though I wish we had an expansion of examples and suggestions for Blessings and Charms.

The racial feats were interesting and I would very much like to see the game develop these concepts further. I guess we’ll see about this next year. Glad they dropped Dragonborn wings from dev

I imagine once we get another dedicated setting book where they introduce more races (and in the case of Mystic and Artificer classes should we see Eberron) that we may see more playing around with racial feats for a wider variety of races.

I haven't even received my copy in the mail yet. There's no settled dust yet

>The pre-release happened 2 weeks ago.
>The PDF has been in /5eg/ for about a week now.

There should have been more races added in the book, but it was overall good

>pastebin 0PvP33nc
Not working when I copy-paste onto repl.it.

Oh I understand, I used to teach artillerymen how to use computers.

I just don't care, their unwillingness to learn isn't my problem.

Yeah I tried it on repl.it as well and it didn't work. repl.it may be using python 2.

Try it with IDLE and see how it goes.

Try the instructions from there.

>repl.it may be using python 2.
It says it's using 3.6.1.
>Python 3.6.1 (default, Dec 2015, 13:05:11)
>[GCC 4.8.2] on linux

You can run it on repl.it, it just doesn't automatically call main for whatever reason. When you run it just type main() into the command line and it should start

Now I'm getting errors saying on line 28 that:
>AttributeError: module 'ctypes' has no attribute 'windll'
I think that this might be because the program was designed to run on Windows, so it's looking for a windows .dll file and not finding it because:
>[GCC 4.8.2] on linux

It works once you comment out lines 28-30, though. It looks like they're just some sort of initialization for the command console that's not needed for running it on repl.it anyway.

20000-names.com/ is back up, it seems

Thanks.

Useful but kind of boring.

Male
Tiefling
Entertainer
Rogue
Your rolled stats are: 14 13 13 13 11 10 and 13 8 17 9 14 14 16
26 years old

You became an Entertainer because: Members of your family made ends meet by performing, so it was fitting for you to follow their example.
You became a Rogue because: I've always been nimble and quick of wit, so you decided to use those talents to help you make your way in the world.
You became enemies with an adventurer: Her is Oagnal Ironfist. She is a neutral dwarf acolyte with training as a bard.
Currently her status is alive, but doing poorly due to injury, financial trouble, or relation ship difficulties.

Enemies with an adventurer: Her is Gunnloda Battlehammer. She is a neutral dwarf soldier with training as a ranger. Status is alive and quite successful.

You fell in love or got married, work with your DM to determine the identity of your love interest.
You know who your parents are or were and were born in a home and your mother abandoned you.. You were raised by your single father or stepfather and your home while growing up was on the streets.
As a child, well... Others saw you as being different or strange, and so you had few companions... You have 7 siblings.

Older brother. Neutral Evil Soldier.
Hostile to you.
Status is Alive and well

Younger sister. Neutral Evil Farmer or herder.
They are Friendly to you.
Status is Alive and well

Older sister They are a Neutral Good Academic.
Indifferent to you.
Status is Alive, but doing poorly due to injury, financial trouble, or relation ship difficulties

Younger sister They are a Neutral Priest.
Friendly to you.
Status is Alive and quite successful

Older sister They are a Neutral Sailor.
Friendly to you.
Status is Alive and well

Older sister They are a Neutral Politician or bureaucrat.
Friendly to you.
Status is Alive and well

You have a/an younger sister They are a Neutral Evil Adventurer.
Friendly to you.
Status is Alive and well

>But I don't want sanity
>I want easy mode

Fixed that for you

>I want a program that produces a 3 dimensional character that is interesting and full of life for me.
>Because I'm too lazy and stupid to fill in the blanks on my own.

You're pathetic.

Hexblade makes non-hex Bladepacts obsolute. Now forces you to talk to sword.

Bladepacts were shit to begin with, tho.

>Now forces you to talk to sword.
That's okay, nobody pays much attention to the lore of their own character anyhow.

>nobody pays much attention to the shitty fluff that's attached to the mechanical hotfix to an archetype

I think that's reasonable

If you want fun your best bet is to avoid talking about anything on Veeky Forums.

With no katana*

It's basically an autoroller for XGtE, if it seems boring let WoTC know.

I don't know then man, I've never used that site before. I may sort it out later on, but for now I'm focusing on making the program more useful to me.

Yeah that first bit was to make the command console have a bigger font to make it a bit more user friendly.

Kek

I was hoping for more from the shared campaign stuff... not sure what, but more.