How are the race relations with Humans and non-humans affecting the game or setting?

How are the race relations with Humans and non-humans affecting the game or setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ML74J9Dq2U
en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense
en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Symposium_of_Post-mysticism
youtube.com/watch?v=THpa6POfjLo
youtube.com/watch?v=xE_LxsVlD1A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's occasional confusion over some concepts, but they seem to get along alright. The insectoids are a reviled and ultimately secretive race considered evil at worst, and amoral at best. The other races are remarkably jealous and untrusting of mankind due to the insectoids' sponsoring and favoritism toward them.

The majority-human population is starting to get real tired of the silver dragonborn aristocracy constantly inhibiting the free things promised to the common man by the capital's green dragonborn aristocracy.

Elves have integrated or vanished into the deepest forests. Dwarves are the same as ever. Nobody gives enough of a shit to check on what the halflings are up to.

All are equal under Dharma light.

Humans are nothing more than Slaves to the Superior Races. Humanity FUCK YEAH is treated as a Mental illness.

Humans are considered another type of monster on par with goblins or kobolds who stalk the woods and eat people unfortunate enough to cross their path.

Far away there is a continent where they're perfectly civilized that nobody knows exists, and even if they did they probably wouldn't believe the two groups were the same species.

After destroying themselves in war, humans got so scared, they hid in holes underground, then noticed that they became minorities to some brand new non-human races that came up, while they were underground, once they got around to digging up.

They aren't relevant, because humans have the blessings of the gods and the other races have dwindled to the point where they either exist on the fringes of society or don't exist at all.

Humans generally get along with demihuman races (and vice versa) since they all signed a Treaty way back when when they found out that a demon lord will come every thousand years trying to murder everyone and they only defeated the demons by banding together. Casual racism is still a thing, but they mostly get along. Meanwhile however all other races are seen as either demon-spawn, or slave races at best. The only exception are fey races which are shapeshifting nature spirits from other dimensions who are mostly on everyone’s side, but are seen as not being worth screwing with outside of the weakest ones.

Been kicking around a setting idea based around New World Colonization.

Three empires--Elf, dorf, and human--vie for control of resources in a newly discovered continent. But there they discovered a lost tribe of Not!NativeAmerican humans. This has thrown a huge wrench in the already tenuous relationship between the three powers.

youtube.com/watch?v=-ML74J9Dq2U

Would you play this shit, Veeky Forums?

There are a few human factions in my setting, but "true" humans are mostly scavengers, who settle ruins or live in nomadic camps, and try to get what use they can out of anything they can find, whether it be a passing beast or technology left behind by the Elders. The Elders, who are more plentiful and visible, use synthetic flesh and mild illusion magic to disguise themselves as human, when really they're machines carrying self-aware AI to continue a directive to "promote order, balance, and harmony" by maintaining the world at a pre-industrial level. Their drones and scouts fit the "humans are perfectly average" cliche because they're effectively embodiments of abolute balance and order.

The High Elves genocidal attempts at world domination have put them as the enemy of all humans and all creation, less than 0.001% of humans have a less than negative opinion of high elves. Despite their two losses, the High elves are more than ready for round 3 to conquer all creation. Their renegade brethren i.e - Tieflings, Drow, Wood Elves, Sea Elves are people without lands, taking whatever land is left over and hoping to be free of persecution, this obviously causes tension. The Fey & Beastfolk who aren't allied with the Gloaming Court are friends of mankind and are readying to create a grand alliance to reclaim the Great Northern forest from the High Elves. The descendants of the dragons are oppressive and absolutist but the giant refugee population would rather suffer under Sorcerer-Wardens and Lizardfolk Secret Police then the High Elves. The Giant's being humanities progenitors are naturally loving towards their children, that is the few that didn't die in the Giant-Dragon wars. Halfling's, Gnomes, and orcs act as humanities cousin races, no widespread animosity but a clannish disrespect for them.

All in all my campaign can be summarized as "Fuck Elves"

I think the basic premise is good, it’s both a region and time that doesn’t get enough love (also feel free to steal one of my tweaks, NOT! New World dragons are feathered, because nothing screams freedom like a bald eagle dragon).

The only thing I think you should change is the races. I feel the typical elf-dwarf-human trio needs reworking when it’s outside of a European Fantasy setting. In this case i’d Either have the European styled country one race, and the American styled tribes another, have both continents have the same races (incans make for perfect dwarf culture), or have the American races be much more out there (Aztec lizard race?).

My main interest in the typical trio was exploring how the colonist humans would react to this startling revelation there are other humans. Do they exploit them like the Elves and Dorfs are doing, or do they band with them? I think it's an interesting angle.

I do agree with you about how the race selection is still pretty white bread. My logic was the humans would be the French, the Elves the English, and the Dwarves the Germans. I might go a little out there though.

I wasn't considering any Aztec or Inca analogues. I wanted this setting to be more like colonial-era New England.

Humans classify all intelligent non-humans as Sapients, and treat them with mild condescension. Sapients aren't "oppressed", as such, but don't see themselves as one unified group with common racial interests the way humans do, and tend to get menial-to-middle-class jobs as a result.

I just feel the whole of the America’s also get ignored (Inuits, carribean natives, Amazonian tribes). Keep in mind that for the first two centuries of colonization it was the carribean and South America where the most money was to be made (because it was much easier to farm cash crops there until it was discovered how to farm cash crops in the US south and furs in the north got a good price + New England got its own industry going.

Anyway, from my studies (I’m a history major) ones opinion of how a culture fits in to relation to you is secondary to how easy it is to exploit them and what you can gain from doing so. For instance Arabs where seen as human as anyone else in europe since they were equal in power. The divides were religious. Meanwhile Africans were thought to be another species, but were well respected when they showed up and were thought a curiosity until the slave trade really got booming at which most whites saw them as a slave race.

As for native Americans, each country had a different policy. The Portuguese preferred to trade, and usually bought off tribes with goods they came to rely on. The Spanish were more concerned with land and religion and force converted tribes to Catholicism, but intermarried since they didn’t want to import their own women (leading to a comprehensive racial caste system). The Dutch also preferred to trade and mostly just set up trade posts and didn’t expand much. The French were the nicest and often incorporated tribes as equal members in their colony (but mostly let them do their own thing) and just traded from their own outposts. The British however just wanted land and typically fought off tribes for it in order to get a bigger edge in the colonial game (they were playing catch-up).

On the contrary, I think the idea of fantasy humans encounter radically different cultures of other humans is one that is tragically unexplored. When you're used to different cultures equating to different species, how would you react to a race of man who is similar to you yet at the same time more dissimilar than anything you have yet encountered?

America largely does get ignored, but the Central/South American civilizations less so. Mostly due to the fact the Aztecs, Maya, and Inca had rather dramatic displays of their civilizations. No giant pyramids on the American Great Plains, after all.

I know most peoples look at others in terms of how you can exploit them, but I figured the addition of non-human competitors changes that dynamic. Imagine, for the sake of argument, if the Spanish arrived at the New World and found out the natives were all already Catholic. That's the kind of thing I was shooting for in terms of how the colonial humans view the native humans.

Depends on where you go. On Com, the nation of Holm is clearly less dominant than Dahren, the nation of dwarves, but while they're not quite a vassal state they're also not perfectly independent, either. So there's some tension there, which the Dahrven usually cope with by running inquisitions against human heresies about other gods and the so-called "afterlife," and the humans cope with by fomenting rebellion and making fun of the dwarves for their rigidity, especially their standard that all males ought to wear beards. There's a crude pamphlet going around the dwarf-ruled human province of Westcost, for example, one of a growing series, that is probably going to cause a diplomatic headache once it winds up in the wrong hands. Here is an excerpt:
>DAHRF: Ach, that be a finely shap'd cleen chinne ye have there.
>RAND, a MALE: I thank you, good dwarf. I hadde it from mine father, who had alike chinne, and it is found most manlee.
>DAHRF, aside: This lass plays coy with me, forsooth! But I shalle woo her in the manner of the poets, with similee.
>DAHRF: Gardener, ye undersell the field on your chinne: I find it the most comlee shape & hairless as a nice bride's.
>RAND, INCENS'D: Thou imbecile dwarf, I am a manne, not one of thine race's manlee wommen! I shall teach you Holm's sport!* [a pun on "Holmsport," ancient capital of Holm and trade center]
>DAHRF, aside, while receiving a RIGHT CLOUTING: Bentham's beard, these wommen haf hard fists!
Things like this don't really help the perception in the eyes of other races that the men of Holm are uncultured.

The sentient races are all variations of human that had gone off and colonized a distant galaxy known as the Lado 5-Arm Spiral Galaxy. Once colonized a supranational government was formed known as the Lado League. After a few hundred years though a massive civil war erupted (causes now lost to history) and the remnants of humanity splintered into three general regions. From these came the Purists, humans who refused modification and dominate their sector of space and are most similar to humans of Earth while living on giant space colonies while working the planets below them for resources.

The second group was dubbed the Prometheans and are quite similar to the purists in general look and, so far, can still breed with Purists but after reaching their teen years are modified with hardware and robotics granting them inhuman levels of strength, coordination and and the ability to live in more fringe environments on planet surfaces.

The final human offshoot is called the Zaen (unknown reason why) and they are heavily genetically modified. While most Zaen look not completely unlike the Purists, they go for more of what we here on Veeky Forums would call "the weeb look" or "space elf look" - long tapered ears, brilliantly colored eyes and hair, and little to no blemishing of the skin. They have also modified their organs to allow them to more readily survive not only strange planets that even the Prometheans have trouble with but also life in Zero G. They were also among the first to begin rebuilding after the civil war and have the largest empire in the Lado galaxy though they are now butting heads with the other powers that be.

Galaxy map (sans key) provided. The red on the left is the Zaen Empire.

Depends on where you are.

In the Great and Prosperous City Of Desmon race relations are actually pretty good for everyone except Kikimora, which are an oppressed minority.

Borovoi generally only interact with the rest of the city through their priests, no one being allowed into their walled sub city.

Domiovoi are essentially joined with humanity at the hip.

Vodyanoy and Humans have good relations even if they’re racist towards one another, but it doesn’t escalate.

Rulsaka blend in with humans to the point you may not even realize a woman you’re talking to is one.

For the most part nationalism is far more important than one’s race.

You might want to check out the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson. I can't reveal too much without spoiling the plot but the books center around that exact premise.

>Com
>Dahren
>Dahrven
>Dahrf

Sorry. I do my best to make up proper nouns that sound good and use them in ways that make sense. Com is the continent. Dahren and Dahrven and Dahrf are all just different words referring the dwarves that live there, specifically two different spelling of the country (that's just my mistake) and "Dahrf" being a spelling of "dwarf" I thought would make sense.
I should probably just scrap that stuff, though. I'm never satisfied and nobody else seems to care anyway.

It's a basic tip of good writing to avoid using made-up words whenever possible. If your dwarves are functionally indistinguishable from any other dwarves then there's no point in giving them a steel donut name.

Maybe you're right, but I dunno. I feel like I ought to point out that those aren't words for members of the race, just the country, because I think you missed that.

Race war all around

And what does Veeky Forums do with the Human-Non Human hybrids?

Humans see non-humans as either potential slaves or a threat.
Saying that, humans are in constant war agains't everyone

I don't really, considering that they're different species and such.
But I think that they should be executed at birth

Just with that lineup, you've already given yourself something to work with.
Those race matchups might come the most naturally, but since you're going for real-world comparisons anyway, you don't have to build up a whole culture from the bottom - you can basically take every country that could possibly have been involved in the colonization and compare it to the usual elf/dwarf/fantasy human stereotypes and with that create a basically infinite spread of combinations.
The fun part really begins when you realize that you can mix in some European alternate history too, bringing countries that in our world missed the colonization boom into the race - and if you're worried about being too derivative, it's my experience that the really good ideas are born from where the country you chose clashes with the stereotype, letting you take a whole new angle.

Estonian/Finnish dwarves. It's not even much of a change, but it's impactful - replace high mountains with sandy coastal pine forests, mountain burrows with log huts painted with traditional patterns, pickaxes with fishing rods and cannons with harpoons. Keep the fascination with history, the fondness for alcohol and the weird muttery antisociality that erupts into overwhelming friendliness as soon as they get familiar.
Dutch elves. Literate, affluent, strong noble lineage, overwhelming diplomatic fleet, trade networks for years and generally known for being tall, fair-haired and blue-eyed - but they're a small nation that has had bits and pieces of it taken over the centuries, they can't agree among themselves, they treat natives well for the most part but their slip-ups are nasty, and once in a while they just plain forget everything because of money and nobility.

Magic is mostly racially locked, but hybrids end up with really freakish unique abilities that no one really knows how to foster and don't always make logical sense given what their parents could do.

She's either 15 or 150 years old witch, isn't she?

I want to fuck Byakuren

No, that's a granny.

Actually the American South did have moundbuilder civilizations, it’s just their building didn’t last. What remnants there are basically just became a series of hills. The City of Cahokia we reckon was about as large as Paris was at the time.

That's my wife.

Then I want to fuck your wife

How rude!

Well humans are nearing extinction thanks to the elves, so the other races are having a decent time.

What's with the hate with humans as of lately? Is this the whole cycle bullshit where I'm going to see this become in popular for a couple of months/years till the HFY faggots come back in full force. Why in the hell can't we just have a fucking setting where humans have pro's and con's, instead of either extreme. Hell, it seems like everything nowadays is either one extreme or the other.

Well, you know how the dwarves are. Most races seem to be able to eventaully get along with each other: humans with orcs, lizardmen with elves. Bit throw in dwarves into the mix and they're like oil into water. With their elitist attitudes, endless lust for gold, disregard for life and liberty, and religious fervor, their nations always will eventually spiral into open conflict with other races. No matter how civilized or advanced they are - or claim to be - it seems like their basic dwarven nature never changes. They are a cancer upon the world that it could do without.

> Central/South American aborigines
> civilized
Well played sir.

Baseline humanity perished in its infancy, the work of a supervolcanic winter. Only offshoots remain. The others came from afar. Beyond the stars, some say.

Elves: Most of them left because hurr durr humans are evil, but the ones who stayed behind know that evil isn't unique to humans. In my setting the Elves Who Remain have personalities just as varied as humans and each one has their own views on humanity. The only stereotypically elf-like thing they do is take the long view on things. They're also good at magic, but nowadays don't really show any more inclination to the art than humans do.

Dwarves: Pretty stereotypical. They have their clans in mountains and shit. They don't really hang with humans except to sell their shit. Dwarves who do interact with humans a lot (merchants/adventurers/mercs) usually seem to get along okay, and appreciate human innovation.

Gnomes: Are all dead so whatever.
Halflings: See Gnomes.

Orcs: Run the gamut from stereotypical 3e CE orcs to Warcraft-like shamanistic tribes with a dash of Warhammer Orkiness. The largest clans are fairly chill with humans (Half-Orcs are much more numerous than Half-Elves and usually born out of actual like love and shit, none of that edgelordy rapey shit from 3e except from the stupid evil ones that occasionally roam around). They're way more concerned with putting together some sort of nation state and pacifying "their" area, which is full of magical creatures from when Gnomes were around and experimenting.

Dragonborn: Are fairly new to the scene because they didn't exist until some dragons decided they could make humanoids better than the gods (read: until 4e made them a PC race). Display a lot of the old elf stereotypes and therefore consider humans the most inferior of the mortal races. For what its worth, Humans don't really like them either.

Aasimar/Tieflings: Haven't really found a way to integrate them into the setting properly, so they don't exist except in the Outer Planes.

Goblinoids: Mostly got wiped out by the Orcs by accident, the few who remain are pretty gobliny.

Humans: large amount of power on the Eastern continent, with civilizations spread out on the other continent we've been to. Overall decently respected by most other races.
Elves: have racial capitals across the globe, but the one from the starting continent were dickbag bigots. The ones in the East seem to be mostly self-concerned, and non-hostile.
Dwarves: stick to their capitals on whichever given continent you find them on. On our starting continent, they were driven out of their home by evil forces and had to live as indentured servants to the Highthorn Elves.
Gnomes: still not a lot of information on them besides their indentured servitude to the Highthorn Elves. They were treated worse than the Dwarves because they don't pull their own weight as much.
Halflings: little to no information on the people, despite having one in the party.
Aasimar & Tiefling: very rare (even though both are in the party). Treated as oddities, with Aasimar spreading good vibes and Tieflings making others nervous around them.

>Why in the hell can't we just have a fucking setting where humans have pro's and con's, instead of either extreme

because the autisitc shutins who have nothing to take pride in besides their fucking species have to let you know about it.

You make the Zaen sound like the Ousters from the Hyperion Cantos.

What's it like being as much of a cuck as you?

>Free feats
>Best cavalry
>Most spellcasters
>Strongest gods

Come at me, subcreature.

Because hating your own is politically popular right now and framed as "bravery" by cynical globalists to naive but idealistic children who have no sense of community.

>were

Things have been pretty peaceful within the last decade or so in the Basin of Civilization. The King of The Willows basically set up an annual party where the various royals of The Basin come together to get drunk and either sports out or fuck out thier problems (think using thr Olympics to settle disputes and there being a fucknasium for more difficult problems). A human generation ago, the Elven Empress had her first orgasm
thanks to one of the most influential human Lords and Elves and Humans have finally decided to cooperate. Halflings are trying to convince Dwarves not to mine their sacred mountain on the Northern Ridge of The Basin but keep being beaten by Dwarven athletes each year. The High Priestess of the Halflings has even offered her virginity to the Dwarf King, but rumour has it that he likes the taste of men. Drow and Elves have been trying to hide that they can indeed still reproduce together and have been mutually hiding/exterminating the resultant offspring.

It's fun being in an IRL ERP

Fuck OFF, zounosefag

What the fuck is "zounose"?

Elves, called the Wavefolk, are xenophobic and hostile to any vessel that enters the open seas(out of sight of land). They've been known to raid coastal villages, and when they leave, they take most of the entire village with them; people, livestock, supplies, and even most of the building materials. There's no records of anyone taken by the wavefolk ever returning. Because of their ways, nothing much is known about their society.

Dwarves are extremely clannish to the point of not recognizing dwarves from other clans as being the same race. They're also xenophobic, but not to the point of the wavefolk, because they're actually willing to trade with outsiders. Dwarves are referred to by their clan name instead of their race. The largest dwarven clan is the Gorban from the Ashen Citadel, a colossal fortress carved from a dead volcano - the entire mountain.

Gnomes are dirty little hole dwellers. In the countryside, they live in natural caves and recesses in hills. When they find their way into the cities, they squat in abandoned buildings and infest sewers. They seem barely intelligent, and they are opportunistic carnivores. There are more than a few stories of gnomes carrying off babies and children, presumably to be eaten. The stories have the right of it.

Halflings retain their creatures of comfort stereotype, but not their agrarian culture. Most halflings are organized into houses, formally recognized extended matrilineal families. Halflings are very mercantile and very ruthless. Imagine Ferengi, except bigger assholes. Slavery is common in halfling communities, not even sparing their own kind if debts get too extreme.

Orcs live in the deep forests, mostly in small villages. Very communal in nature, orc villages have no true leaders, and their villages are run by a town hall government in which every orc with a child is allowed to vote. Orcs are not particularly hostile to outsiders, but they are territorial when it comes to settlers of any race.

A doujin artist that makes Touhou doujin that feature a lot of 'realistic' takes on youkai and other such aspects of the Touhou setting.

Youkai in his setting are all man-eaters, for one. Even the goddesses of the Moriya Shrine periodically eat bits of human sacrifice.

Resident Touhou grimderp artist number 1. Even Warhammer looks like a MLP compared to some of his works.

>Dutch elves.
You forgot the solid leg kicks and best knees in the clinch.

You want grimderp, look at Stripe Pattern or Asatsukidou.
If you think that Zounose's work is grimdark, you've only seen one or two of the worst scenes.
If anything, it's the most faithful portrayal of Gensokyo according to print works - ZUN himself places a lot of emphasis on that Gensokyo is neither a good or a bad place, but toes the line very narrowly. A fair chunk of youkai are actively stated to eat people, and even those who're formerly human or ostensibly human, like Alice and Sakuya, have entries implying that they're not innocent either. The games and the print works both have a morbid sense of humor at times, and in the end both ZUN and Zounose write much the same kinds of stories on a narrative level. They're little anecdotes about youkai living their normal lives, with the occasional blackish aside (Marisa and Reimu both say some pretty edgy things as casual banter).
There's a neat little philosophical lesson at the end of it, and in the end they're both slightly melancholy and folksily nostalgic stories about life, death and the irony of it all.
Zounose uses graphic violence and is far from as sparse and suggestive in his writing as ZUN. That's what makes him seem edgy. His stories usually have a mostly happy ending and actually also often cop-out a lot, where a character might act scary for a single scene (where a lot of the usual images are taken from) and then spin around to deliver a punchline or some life lesson.
Zounose is graphic, yes. His stories are not edgy, though - they're optimistic, they're humorous and they don't show gratuitous suffering. He uses the materials that ZUN put into the setting to create stories that reflect the universe - and it's not grim, and it's not bright.
It's just a very faithful reproduction of the themes of the original work - that sort of laid-back, slightly morbid pastoral apathy that Kino's Journey also had.

>If anything, it's the most faithful portrayal of Gensokyo according to print works
Are you kidding me? Even FS that especially deals with Youkai are basically, Kosuzu read the book, shit happens, Reimu solves it, the end. Zounose is nothing like that. Also the fact that characters behaves like straight up parodies doesn't really help.

Even though the "Superior Races" are still cordoned off in their little pocket dimension because the rest of humanity have stopped believing in them for the most part, regarding them as little more than fantasy.

What is said Superior Race?

The human peasants are pretty OK with most things because a lot of things that have good explanations to an educated person are incomprehensible to a peasant. The lower classes take it in stride because the world around them is bonkers already.

>Oh you're a tiefling?
>My brother spent a month as a slave to a witch, and a week as a toad.

The educated aristocracy is where all the prejudice is. They're the only ones who know enough about the world to think the tiefling is up to no good because the infernal lineage thing.

Yes the tiefling player is a college educated twit that bitches about how the lower classes are all bigots. Yes I did this on purpose. Poor sod is still baffled.

I see you are a power-secondary.
Hint: "print works" does not mean the manga. "Print works" means those setting books that were written by ZUN and illustrated by other artists, and have a lot of setting data that doesn't come out in the games.
FS is not only unsupervised by ZUN, him only having been involved in the earliest phases, but also generally shat on by Touhou autists who consider it not just boring and dry, but also unrepresentative of the setting.
I'll spoonfeed you this time, with the most lore-focused and serious of the print works.
en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Perfect_Memento_in_Strict_Sense
en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Symposium_of_Post-mysticism
The Touhou series has a shit-ton of history since ZUN probably had it knocking around since the late 80's. Like a lot of other games from that time, it couldn't hold that much text data, so while that birthed the sparse, ambiguous style of writing that the games have now (basically 100% in-character banter), ZUN regularly dumps the stuff that you can't just put into a shooter game.
ZUN is stuck in 1991 when it comes to game design. You want the story, you have to read the booklet that either comes with the game or is sold at events.

>IRL ERP
>Dwarf King woukd rather suck smegma covered cave cock than deflower a shortstack nun

So you’re basically all fat male neckbeards and jerk each other off while you tell each your fanfics and vaguely hint that you want to fuck each other?

Looks like you completely missed my post. Name me one ZUN's scenario or whatever that is pantsu on head retarded like Zounose.
>FS is not only unsupervised by ZUN
Now what is this nonsense. ZUN wrote every single FS chapter.
>but also generally shat on by Touhou autists who consider it not just boring and dry, but also unrepresentative of the setting.
First. Source. Second. Why should I care?

Words hurt

fuck off, you YRA choad.

On the other hand, the way he uses colors is very fun.

How rude!

ZUN art dakimakura when?

The alt right complained on twitter.

excelent thread
I want hijirifags off my board

no

never

>not recognizing the achievements of your parents or children because your rampant solipsism demands you only feel any positive emotion for your own personal, completely unassisted actions

Granted, you probably don't take it to that extent, but there are people who do.

>I want hijirifags off my board
Taoist please leave

oh. no!

Why doesn't ZUN do what Tyrian did and have the lore be scattered across the stages as something to find?

Do you even understand what Touhou is? It's a bullet hell game. Ain't nobody got time for reading when you're trying to survive a million projectiles.

Do you have any idea what Tyrian is? It's the gold standard for vertical SHMUPs and largely considered to be among the first to have more than a napkin plot and more importantly made it work. All the readable stuff is contained away in the pause menu anyway as a way to better describe the plot as it unfolds as opposed to digging out the manual to describe each stage and the plot in the style of Xevious and others with an extensive story hidden away in a radio drama or something.

Nah, the way I'm describing it doesn't do it any justice. If you like shooters, play the game from the link on this video description:
youtube.com/watch?v=THpa6POfjLo

You want me to catch lore pieces during the stage, pause the game and read it while I dodge all that shit? No thanks.

L-lewd

what is Hijiri's end game

equality

That seems very different from Touhou in terms of gameplay. I can't imagine putting the game on hard or lunatic on pause to read some stuff, then getting back to play. My focus would be ruined and I'll splat.
Besides, player would collect and read these things one time, then proceed to ignore them for the next few hundred attempts to beat lunatic. Might as well put them in a separate text file.
youtube.com/watch?v=xE_LxsVlD1A

IS the new touhou game good?

I have a setting with humans with pros and cons. I don't post about it because it is contrarian and uninteresting, especially for Veeky Forums.

Post it.

Anything that counts is on a large island, maybe a small continent like the Indian subcontinent, and the islands around it. There are 5 intelligent races inhabiting that space: humans and 4 animal-people that are likened to animals in fables. All of them look like a roughly man-shaped, talking version of an animal. For 3 of them, race equals culture because they are few in number.
Human nations form the main population of the land, they live everywhere on the mainland. No humans live in the homeland of the frogs (politics of isolationism) or tentacled ones (underwater).
Every race has distinct biological advantages over all the others, for example, humans have the 2nd-best eyesight, manual dexterity and physical strength and the longest lifespans and best climate tolerance. (Now that I think of it, maybe they are too close to being an average.)
Human monarchies are mostly the remains of a large human empire that completely absorbed the lions. So there's humans everywhere, their lords squabbling over resources and stuff, and lions mostly everywhere except the high north. Only one nation is ruled solely by lion nobility.
Crows don't have nations, they have clans. They travel the land unimpeded by national borders, set up camp and sell their wares as a nomad people. Rarely do others join their clans for a longer time.
Frogs live on a larger island to the east. They have some sort of feudalism going on, but it isn't very transparent. They are rare on the mainland because the heavy storms making travel difficult only recently ceased. Still, quite a number of them come to travel the world.
Tentacled ones live in republic city-states along the coast. They literally couldn't interact with landbased people until recently, when a god granted them a blessing so they can now live on land if they carry around enough water in their clothing.

Basically, everybody just gets along unless there's a war for political reasons. I could go on about the actual pros and cons.

Human-masters of tech but have 0% magic they only way for a human to use magic is if they have elf blood

Elf-Masters of Magic best friends with humans and they both build an empire together with human tech and elf magic.

Dwarves-they are reclusive and refuse to leave their mountains

Orcs-All are dead killed by the human and elf empire,guess all that raping and pillaging finally cost their species their existance.

Aasimar/Tieflings: Same as Always Assimar are a sign of Good fortune and Tieflings are the opposite

Now now, we can all get along. Just look how these two religious leaders seem to be preety friendly to eachother