So, would you let me bring along a postosuchus as my paladins war hound/ animal companion?

So, would you let me bring along a postosuchus as my paladins war hound/ animal companion?

No

No.
Late Jurassic is typically as far as I'm willing to go when it comes to including Dinosaurs and other extinct animals.

>paladin
>animal companion
lol no

war hound then

Are you a paladin of a god of dinosaurs?
If so, make another character, there's no dinosaurs in my setting.

It's just a prehistoric crocodile, right? Use the stats for a crocodile and flavor it as a postosuchus. Dinosaurs exist in the setting so I don't particularly mind, but I'm glad you asked first.

We call them tyrant lizards where I'm from but go for it

no, crocodiles are reptiles, this is a dinosaur

actually, I was pretty sure it was just a prehistoric crocodile

Tell me what you're looking for in terms of attacks and abilities and I'll find the closest thing. There isn't an actual postosuchus in the list of animal companions so we'll just have to find something close and call it a postosuchus.

Why is it always dinosaurs and never every other cool prehistoric creature?
You'll get an Andrewsarchus or you'll get a donkey.

not that guy but it looks like a mix between a drake, a croc, and a dog/wolf or big cat

This isn't a dinosaur. It's a prehistoric reptile. It's name literally means post crocodile.

then we'll refluff the croc stats and make it a little faster on land and nyxx the swim speed, done

Postosuchus wasn't a dinosaur

The settings where I have dinosaurs running around are the settings where I don't have paladins running around and vice versa.

It's not exactly a crocodile, but it's relatively closely rekated to them (at least more than to dinosaurs)

Depending on the power level I'd be fine with it as long as you had an interesting explanation for where you acquired it (some sort of Crusade analog gone bad, maybe) and why it's tame.

I mean, you're not asking to BE a postosuchus, so we're already ahead of schedule.

Crocodiles are not reptiles nor are dinosaurs. Not unless you count birds as reptiles. Crocodiles and dinosaurs are both archosaurs.

Pseudosuchia branch of Archosaurs are still reptiles.

Yes, but I'll have to re-stat a croc (don't really mind) and you'll have to give a good reason why you have a land crocodile companion.

All the games I GM are about fun, I'm alright with fudging the rules and letting the ranger have a non-standard animal companion.

How would you stat an andrewsarchus though? Buff the cons and str and nerf the movement speed and wis/int of a direwolf?

Archosaurs are in Reptilia, and Archosaurs are the crocodilians, and dinosaurs both avian and non (which includes modern birds). Apparently the pterosaurs were archosaurid as well.

Fuck, I don't have any dinosaur related ones.

So how does this thing even work in combat? Fluffwise and crunch wise.

-10hp

> Postosuchus
> A dinosaur
Everyone point and laugh, all together now.

Can reptiles, let alone crocs, even be trained to serve as war hounds?

I mean, it's an extinct species so if the GM wants to allow it then he can just say it can be. My wonder, if how well they would actually perform in such a capacity?

Other than that one Thai guy who was best friends with a bigass croc, I've never seen anything that would suggest they'll discriminate between friend or foe.

Even defining birds as reptiles results in paraphyly. The only clade worth describing is amniota

No. It's not even a war hound.

Why does it matter we all come from the same common ancestor.

Except fungi.

>this is a dinosaur

>postosuchus is a dinosaur

>dinosaurs aren't reptiles

Are you retarded?

Does anyone have that dinosaur drawing where it's looking towards the viewer and it kinda looks like a gorilla. It's pretty dark and I remember it being kinda creepy.

Actually, I have a cousin who is half fungus.

bumping

sure

Spellcasters and Gods are knew to make weird shit that get's out and starts breeding so almost any creature is excusable with the right back story

what

Dinosaurs aren't reptiles.

Pubert?

Then neither are crocodiles there closer to dinosaurs than everything else

So how well would such a creature realistically fulfil the role of a war hound in combat?