Lasgun and why it makes sense for the Guard to have them

I think it has been said before, so I take no credit for any of this, but the lasgun may be the perfect weapon for the imperial guard. Think about it, the whole point of the Guard is to make mass number of troops as quickly as possible. This means that for many planets, the quality and quantity of training may be shit. So why give them lasers you may ask? Couple of reasons. Easy to make (in the 40k universe), ammo that weighs less compared to boltor shells, being able to be recharged from unorthodox sources, and most importantly ease of use. Think about it, lasers do not have to worry about bullet drop, or losing accuracy due to air resistance. Lasers travel in a straight line, and do not lose consistency unless in extreme distances. This way you can cut down on training time by basically just teaching the guardsmen to point and shoot, as opposed to having to teach them about adjusting the sights and accounting for wind and bullet drop and all of that stuff.

>do not lose consistency unless in extreme distances
Well, no. Certainly not any kind that could be carried by a man.

Altogether, I think you've got the wrong idea about lasguns. They weren't ideal for the Guard so the Guard got them, the Guard had them so they were written as ideal.

Isn't this explicitly written in the codexes?

I remember reading that lasguns didn't become standard issue until after the Heresy. Army used whatever was available from lasrifles to primitive firearms. Hell, in 30k you can even make Marines armed with autoguns.

I'm not talking about in universe. I'm talking about why things were written the way they were.

Imperial Guard have lasguns came first. Lasguns being able to charge from campfires came second.

How is that important in a discussion about lore?
Things are as they are, many of the details in 40k are based on random thoughts of individuals, but canon is still canon.
If some guy would have overslept guardsmen might all be shooting blue lasers and use revolvers
But he didn't, so they don't.

I don't understand the point of this thread

OP noticed the obvious, edgy guy went meta and that's it for now. Will probably die soon.

No.56593552 got the basic idea.

Give me my fucking (You) you doublenigger

I would if I knew what I was doing

Namefags

You don't adjust your sights in a combat situation... The hard part of shooting isn't accounting for bullet drop and wind (which is almost non-significant at typical engagement distances) but proper form, and training. The tendency for people untrained is to not even aim, they just get sort of close and start yanking the trigger.

There’s nothing wrong with lasguns. The whole thing of them being “flashlights” is a tired meme. They are only subpar because this is a universe where men have it fight against monsters and demons; if we had lasguns today they would be the dominant battlefield rifle.

>raise dense smokescreen
>laugh

Let's be real. Artillery is doing the real pounding.

It's because they were cheap, easy to mass produce, and hard to jam given the lack of moving parts.

Originally, during the Emperor's first campaigns to unite humanity, the guard used bolters. The heresy led to a massive drop in industrial might so he prioritized the Astartes gettign the best weapons. He probably intended to rescind that order eventually, once the crisis passed, but then he was taken out of commission and nobody has had the balls to countermand his order since then.

Talking about the guard did anyone else notice in the latest codex that there are no Steel Legion models shown? New guardsmen confirmed?

B-But why they use heavy bolter?

Thank you Captain Obvious!

I personally just really dislike laser weapons. They're boring and mentally they don't have the satisfaction of empty shells hitting the ground.

This is also why I never gave a fuck about Star Wars.

>autoguns
>empty shells hitting the ground

Oh user...

>>/reddit/