Rogue Trooper

Any one remember the original Rogue Trooper comic by 2000AD? I have not found any source that outright says 40k was inspired by it, however I have read somewhere (TvTropes I think) that the early version of the Guard's lasgun ejected shells despite being a laser weapon, and that it was the same deal with Rogue's gun, Gunnar. Is it possible for 40k to have taken inspiration from Rogue Trooper? I mean they are both British. Also what other sources does warhammer 40k take inspiration from besides Dune, and Judge Dredd?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/ufdv45955l0x2/Nemesis
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Chronicles-of-Hate/TPB-1?id=80865
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The Tyranids are a hybrid of Alien and Starship Troopers.

Does that really make sense though? The bugs of the original Starship Troopers are nothing like the spider bug things in the movies. Mind you I have not seen the original tyranids designs so I am not sure if they are anything like the creatures we have today.

Well GW used to have a close relationship with 2000AD, they produced a series of 28mm models for them.

Some things have been nicked like the Nort heavy tanks are pretty much Baneblades, Adeptus Arbites are Dredd.

Nemesis the Warlock. It's about a future where Terra is the center of an FTL network, humanity exists under a theocratic state that abhors mutants, aliens and heretics, their supersoldiers are called Terminators, and opposing them are the followers of a religion called Khaos.

GW did make a Rogue Trooper game but Nemesis and ABC Warriors deffinetily a bigger influence

>GW did make a Rogue Trooper game but Nemesis and ABC Warriors deffinetily a bigger influence
ABC Warriors is amazing. IKON OF IKONS!

That artwork is clearly well after GW though.

Like mentions, Nemesis the Warlock is quite possibly the prime inspiration for 40k and in addition to the things they mention the Terran Termite empire also has a Mechanicus which poorly maintains their Titan robots using scraps of ancient lore from a more advanced age, chainswords, the undead Inquisitor/overlord uses similarly ancient and poorly understood technology to drain the life-force of loyal servants to live again, and the FTL network is built around the tomb of long-dead emperor. GW did make Dredd and Rogue Trooper games in the mid-80s before they exclusively moved onto their proprietary universes, and bits and pieces definitely got ported over. Rogue Trooper's influences are less obvious than, say, the Adeptus Arbites, but there was bound to be crossover between settings with eternal, endlessly escalating warfare between factions using gigantic super tanks and genetically enhanced super soldiers with modifications that allow them to survive environments and injuries that would destroy a normal human. A GI is just blue-skinned and doesn't need power armour.

Mostly true: that is from ABC Warriors: Khronicles of Khaos, first published in 1991. The Termite Empire's elite Terminator troops date back to '81. GW's walrus terminators began appearing towards the end of the 80s and the beginning of the 90s. There's other obvious examples though - the Vindicare assassin is a dead ringer for the super sniper Joe Pineapples.

>Also what other sources does warhammer 40k take inspiration from besides Dune, and Judge Dredd?
Go read Nemesis the Warlock.

The book you retard.

Warhammer 40K Rogue Trader 1st Tyranid.

yeah that is what i am saying. I have read the book, and nothing indicates the bugs in book are literally bugs beyond just being apart of a hive mind. I am pretty sure it is just the movies that made them 6 legged exoskeletoned bug like creatures.

Yes, this is just 2000ad having a bit of fun at GWs expense. Many of 2000ads creators worked for both companies so it wasn't all one way traffic. See Dan Abbnet's Insurrection for an example of a 2000ad story influenced by 40k

I can see why some people say that latter editions of the nids were ripping off the zergs.

What's that one about?

A group of colonists are make an alliance with friendly alien, mutants and intelligent machines to defend their planet from invasion. After they defeat the invaders an SJS fleet turns up tries to arrest everyone for breaking the rules while protecting thrir homes. The SJS inflexible attitude escalates the situation until it becomes a full scale rebellion.
With just a few tweaks it would be a typically grim dark 40k story

I can totally see that. The inquisition replaces the SJS, keep the rest the same, and you pretty much have a 40k story.

No. Starcraft was literally intended to be a 40k RTS. They couldn't get the license, but already had art assets.

It's kind of silly how much 40k cribbed from Nemesis. Would it even fly if someone tried something like that nowadays?

You are thinking of warcraft mate.

i mean i am not too familiar with Nemesis but how much does 40k really steal from it? The idea of a group being a bunch of xenophobic, genocide committing assholes is not exclusive to Nemesis. Aside from that, what else did 40k take?

See and

i see now.

Its more than just the superficial stuff (of which there is admittedly a lot, right down to the names of things), but Nemesis as a whole has the same kind of baroque, gothic medieval weirdness and black comedy of classic Warhammer. Its the future, but where humanity has actively embraced superstition, paranoia and intolerance partly out of fear of the other and mostly out of fear of their even more demented leaders, chief among them Inquisitor Torquemada, the main antagonist. Torquemada is the ultimate human leader and a tyrant who it is revealed has lead humanity from the beginning of time to the end in one form or another. He's an utter monster. He's also hilarious and a joy to read about. Have you ever ever read the Warhammer Monthly comic The Redeemer, also by Pat Mills? The Redeemer is Torquemada with a flamethrower hat.

Have a read for yourself. I'd say the first three or four books are well worth reading at the very least, the ones after that are an acquired taste.
mediafire.com/folder/ufdv45955l0x2/Nemesis

Ironically, I suspect GW would be among the first to get snotty if you were as blatant as they were back in the day.

To be fair Dan Abnett did basically completely rip off 40k for his Durham Red series.

>this post
gif related lol

Oh absolutely. By at least the mid-90s when that series was created there was definitely some cross-pollination going on, which is to be expected. 2000AD is a British publication which uses freelance writers and artists; Games Workshop is a British company which hires freelance writers and artists. Even leaving aside the fact they were all drawing from the same wells of inspiration and Stuff-What-British-Kids-and-Nerds-Like, they were also both drawing from some of the same talent pools. In the late 90s and early 00s Inferno magazine and Warhammer Monthly were basically all 2000AD's writers and artists doing some work on the side. Quite a few of the earlier Black Library books too, like Simon Spurrier with Lord of Night and Xenology.

Like mentions, Insurrection's another of Dan Abnett's that's a big one. Contrary to the rumours it wasn't originally a Warhammer comic script that had some of the names changed, but it was commissioned because the editor of 2000AD wanted Abnett to write a big space war type story "to bring to the Dredd Universe something of the epic war-in-space scale of the stuff I write for Warhammer 40K".

It's sad that some of the really premium Warhammer artists never got their claws into comic book art for 2000AD. I guess illustration is a gig of its own though.

Brian Badonde.

I know Adrian Smith and Karl Kopinski tried their hand at comic work for Warhammer monthly a couple of times, but effective sequential story telling really is a different skill set to standard static illustration. If you make good money doing illustration work its also not really as worth it financially, especially with the deadlines involved. That said, Adrian Smith does have a go from time to time still. The I think the fantasy Chronicles of HATE is his most recent attempt.
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Chronicles-of-Hate/TPB-1?id=80865

CMON is supposedly doing something with it soon.

interesting. I have to read it now.

yeah i see that now. also on a unrelated note, I still think starcraft ripped off warhammer 40k

Thanks again for posting all of Nemesis this summer.

It was a blast and really helped me understand where a lot of early 40k was drawn from. The chainsword wrecked me