Your party finds this amongst your loot

Your party finds this amongst your loot..

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7krC6SY5b1A
twitter.com/AnonBabble

[Christopher Lambert voice] A Sword?

The annoying halfling bard/rogue that guy who specializes in slings claims to want it despite being a better fit for the barbarian, argues about the loot allocation with everyone else, crashing play to a halt. When party caves in (despite my protests) that guy (who claimed he really needed/wanted it) immediately sells it and tries to get the GM to roleplay out him spending it at the brothel. I quit playing with the group and become more embittered and hateful on tabletops, posting my anger on Veeky Forums as a result.

>depends on universe

It can be a tool that will bring total misery for your party, or it can be a sword that does jack shit.

Cool, but I already have a black sentient soul-eating sword as a class feature, so I guess this one's going on the pile of items we never use or sell.

Pretty much this

As a DM I always have the monsters used cursed loot, so the party can recover it but they won't equip it until they find the plot coupon to undo the curse (right when they are supposed to get +1 weapons and armor)

No wonder the monsters keep losing, they're all cursed!

They were agents of the Aberrant Lord so as evil beings they were empowered by it. But to mortals it resonates as a malignant otherworldly madness.

Did someone say [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]?

That's not how curses work!

Farewell, friend. I was a thousand times as evil as thou!

depends on the setting

I'm playing in a sci-fi universe, so this sword ends up sold to a museum and kept in a crate.

>Detect evil
If it pings, collect it and take it to a higher authority to destroy.
If it doesn't ping, have e the mage cast "read magic", if it seems safe and good, give to appropriate party member.

Dibs.

INVOLUNTARY MURDER HOBO TIIIIIIIIIIME!

...actually I don't think anyone uses that kind of sword in our group, the Cleric maybe.
>Rapier Inspired Blade
>Psychic Warrior Meditant
>Ranged Ranger
>Alchemist Grenadier
>Cleric

My DM is shit at making any blade dealing damage consistent to our PC's levels. So leave it since I do more dmg with my fists.

What system and class do you play?

A paladin in a homebrew based on konosuba an anime with remote dnd mechanics.

Depends on the setting

Guess we go on a quest to throw it into a volcano or something.

Really depends on the setting.

>Homebrew based on animie and DnD.
That sounds like all the worst things shoved into one thing. I mean, good luck n have fun? You discusting shit teir DnD weeb.

That can easily depend on the setting.
In DnD and DnD similar you could easily argue that evil weapons are cursed. And an evil weapon would do exactly that. Buff evil dudes and hurt party dudes.

>Trying to cast Detect Evil on Fucking Stormbringer.
Enjoy going utterly insane and clawing your eyes out in horror.

Well thanks I guess? And yeah it's fun to me so that's just about enough.

A Paladin is practically immune to evil shit like that.
I don't know what that sword is from, but I'm guessing done gay animé? If not correct me please.

I googled it. It doesn't seem to do anything like that. Just an "epic evil" sword that demands souls and is actually a demon.

I might do good as a Paladin to just smite it, even at low level. I wouldn't cuz that would kill the demons and it would come back without being trapped in a sword or w/e. So I would just call in some higher authority Paladins and let them either destroy the demon or capture and imprison it.

Hahaha, you dumb motherfucker.
I've got this feeling, like your luck is none too good.

It's from the Elric Saga and is a very major player in Moorcock's Multiverse. The thing is straight-up slated to inevitably devour the entire multiverse, all of the gods and divinities included, and usher in a definitive victory for the forces of Chaos. The person who wields it or its many, many, many incarnations (known as the "Eternal Champion"), is essentially it's Warden and basically exists to keep the damn thing in check.

I mean that raw, curses give maluses. Does that mean a good sword in the hands of a good person, who is slain and has their weapon taken, forces an enemy to take a malus on their checks?
Is there an entire questing counterquesting economy where good and evil simply play capture the flag with swords?
Who has more swords? Is there a reason cleansed swords aren't sold in shops?
Do swords collect ambient feeling, allowing them to be cleansed over time? Do neutral swords exist?
All of these are important questions!

We already found its rip-off, Blackrazor, but it was stolen by an acquaintance who was secretly a villainous Oathbreaker/Antipaladin.
The next session we ended up getting him banished, with the sword, and now we're pretty sure he's going to come back with Hexblade features and a mind broken by the sword's will. Should be pretty fun.

>If it doesn't ping, have e the mage cast "read magic", if it seems safe and good, give to appropriate party member.
i think you die from an aneurysm.
shit eats souls and cuts through all mundane things as if it was butter.

you dumb motherfucker.
shit's actually the incarnation of entropy or some shit.
it'll cut through whatever you hit it.
also it's meme powers let it's weaker kin fight the dukes of hell.

So? Without someone to wield the thing it won't fight back. Just smite the blunt end of the sword. That probably won't work. So take it to a higher level paladin.

>So? Without someone to wield the thing it won't fight back.
from what i read that is not actually the case.
"Elric summons others of Stormbringer's demonic race (also in the form of swords) to fight against a number of Dukes of Hell"
>Just smite the blunt end of the sword.
might work, could also be that this thing is a demon and decided what it cuts through and doesn't.
> So take it to a higher level paladin.
this thing is designed to kill gods.
why would god power channeled through a mortal destroy it?

I'd throw it into the sea but you know how that goes.
"But they say that the darkest artifacts have the ability to bend men to their will. Calling soundlessly to the wicked and discontent from thousands of miles away or hundreds of feet beneath the earth or sea, and that in this way they always come to light again, no matter how buried or forgotten."
maybe you should just call your god and say that you have the only thing that can kill him and ask him what to do with it

>gay animé

You need to educate yourself, son. The book that sword is from virtually constructed everything about Chaos and Dark Elves in modern media. Fucking hell you're such a god damn pleb. Get the fuck off this board. You don't deserve to be here.

Just lock it in a box, then store it in a safe, inside a bunker, under a paladin castle, in a holy city, with big walls.

Make sure the box inside the safe doesn't look to fancy, write "spare paper" on it, so that looters don't take it.

My literal next post was about how I googled it and posted a more correct opinion.

3 guesses where we found it

user, we can't kick everyone with bad taste off the board.
I mean guess how many folks here have read both dune and morecock's work

Not enough, user. Not e-fucking-nough. I miss old Veeky Forums with its shitty spambots that learned Veeky Forums memes to try to get us to click on their pictures.

If that is where you found it, then leave it there. And inform the higher Paladin that they need to up security. More locked doors and walls n shit.

Why not? Werewolves, vampires and gorgons were all cursed yet became more powerful from it.

Either its the loophole of the curse or its some strange way for the god/s to fuck around with mortals.

It's like why apes and retarded people are immensely stronger than the average person. Essentially they're both as dumb as a bag of bricks and their brains cannot tell them to stop over exerting, but hey they can defeat the Deepwater Jew at least.

You lose what what basically makes you human, both physically and mentally. A trade off occurs, but the idea remains the same.

Since it's Stormbringer, and not just a random lesser incarnation of the Black Sword, it's definitely a source of total misery, but on the other hand we probably have little choice once we've found it. Even if we refuse to pick it up the sword will find a way to make our lives hell.

>, and usher in a definitive victory for the forces of Chaos
Nope It's a force of utter Chaos(more than even regular Chaos) but it has its own agenda.

Stormbringer does not give seven shits about the Lords of Chaos and the Black Blade is stronger than all of them.

>Morecock

>Without someone to wield the thing it won't fight back
Famous last words.

Join the council Stormbringer, say hello to everyone else here in Cassius' soul and make yourself comfortable. Going in order we got; The Soul Eater, The Finger of Oblivion, The Hell Hound Whisperer, and The Corpse Star,

>I'd throw it into the sea but you know how that goes.
Tried it. Didn't work.

>"Another one?"

yeah that's what i was saying

This sword here at his side don't act the way it should.

Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

I eat the sword to refuel my arcane reservoir without consulting my party.

Again.

Probably send it through time to the distant future.

Looks fancy

DIBS!

>user, we can't kick everyone with bad taste off the board.

That's quitter talk.

While we're at it, people who haven't read Homer's epics need to leave.

Donate it to the nearest albino who wants it back. It's his problem now.

>While we're at it, people who haven't read Homer's epics need to leave.
how much of each?
and do we add the Aeneid? Gilgamesh? good Greek plays?

Well, the Bard already owes the rest of us basically all his loot for the next few months so he doesn't get it, the Holy Liberator is focused on axes, and the Rogue probably can't use it. Probably the Warlock takes a closer look at it and decides what the hell, I'll give it a go.

As for the other game, it's Black Crusade. The Ex-Space Wolf takes it and together they kill....everything?

There are literally entire classes and powers that revolve around taking power from curses.

Now add in things like gasses that buff *Xrace* but are toxic to all others, or the way negative energy is anathema to all but strengthens undead and demons.

Thats totally how curses work.

Give it to the bard and form the greatest rock band to ever walk the earth.
youtu.be/7krC6SY5b1A

So i got a question then.
Elric with Stormbringer vs Sauron with the One Ring.
Who comes out on top?

BUMPing

>Elric with Stormbringer
signs point to elric

Looks retarded.

The real question is when we put it in the Athenaeum, whether we put it on a pedestal, on a pedestal with a cushion, or on the sword rack with all of the rest of the outdated shite.

It'd devolve into my char trying to get rid of the sword of bad juju and another one wanting to add it to her collection of random crap.

>Shadowrun
>finding a permanent magical item, even if the effect is bad
l-o-a-d-s-a-m-o-n-e-y

from what I can gather, probably elric. The sword was designed to kill gods, apparently, though what constitutes a god varies from setting to setting.

However, sauron was essentially crippled when his ringfinger was cut-off by someone i think we can safely say was much weaker than Elric w/stormbringer.

Stormbringer could give Morgoth a run for his money.

sounds like lame shit an edgy 14yo came up with.

morgoth is also pathetic

You keep talking like that and you'll hurt somebody's feelings, user.

Seriously though, if you're ever between books and you want to see one of the major influences on D&D in its natural habitat (or just read some quality fantasy), pick up Stormbringer. The idea that Law and Chaos are real, driving forces in the universe with interplanar agents at constant war came from this series, and it's done better and more imaginatively than D&D ever did it. Did you know the Alignment axis used to just be "Law - Neutral - Chaos"? Yeah, that's Moorecock.

Plus, Melniboneans are basically Drow, which is also awesome to see. And if you think of Melniboneans as Drow, then Elric becomes some strange proto-Drizzt, but let's not get too crazy with our conclusions here.

Isn't that basically the exact story as Castellan Crowe and his demon blade in 40k.

>I don't know what that sword is from, but I'm guessing done gay animé? If not correct me please.
Seriously, leave now.

I am understanding why /tg doesnt like dnd players now.

>satan? what fucking edgelord came up with this? "the best angel who turned against god and and for that he gets sent to this totally bad place and stuff" what a fucking snowflake OC

>"Hello! Would you like to destroy some evil today?"

you aren't wrong

Lucifer is a tragic individual who‘s good intentions get him into trouble, basically being based on Prometheus.

ever since the skub times I have an intense gag reflex any time something ”destined to destroy the multiverse” gets mentioned.
It basically bottlenecks your setting.

None of this until I finish oathbringer. GoaT sword though.

Turn 360 degrees and walk away.

I already have one of those

Regardless of who wins, the rest of us are still fucked.

The game I run would have them do some analysis of it...then chuck it in the vault one of the NPC's family has, most likely. They store dangerous artefacts as a profession.

After the shit with the ring releasing an angry demigod that tried to scorch a world black, they are not the sorts to take risks with dangerous artefacts.

>Good intentions

It's his pride. He'd be able to escape the frozen lake if he didn't turn the water to ice with the beating of his own struggling to escape it with force but he's too prideful to ever give up a course of action.

I wonder how the Loc-nar would interact with Stormbringer

To defeat evil, first be must learn to identify it without a alarmingly high false positive rate.

>Stormbringer is major bad news, jesus fuck run the fuck away
I've been reading Elric and Stormbringer doesn't seem too powerful or too bad? I mean it's a sword that eats souls and turns the wielder into something superhuman, but aside from that...

Then again, I'm still only reading The Vanishing Tower. Maybe Stormbringer's real potential is brought out in other books?

I mean, do you want spoilers or what? I'm warning you here.

Firstly, Stormbringer fucks everything up. If you were to assign it a D&D-esque numeric enchantment, the +# would be whatever the second-highest enchanted weapon is, plus one. It cuts through damn near anything, and then it cuts through its fucking *soul* and feeds you that sweet soul juice. Several times during Moorecock's stories Elric is out-and-out stated as being invulnerable as long as he's got that motherfucker with him, at least against the rank and file soldiery. It's also the only thing capable of killing the big-dick Demon lords in its setting, so there's that. But still, "really strong magic swords" are a dime a dozen in fantasy, and that alone doesn't merit its reputation.

The second--and more important--part of Stormbringer, and the reason for everyone's ludicrous estimations of its power level, is that it's essentially *the* McGuffin of its setting. It's the deus ex machina. The big kahuna in its own universe. I want to stress that I am being literal here, so keep that in mind when you read the following. Stormbringer's job--destined blade with a destined wielder and all that--is to *literally kill everything*, then, when *every living thing in the universe is dead*, to kill its own wielder (what, you thought you'd get out of this with a sword whose M.O. is "kill everything"?), then *kill the universe*.

And it does. How do you even compete with such levels of bullshittery?

> the Deepwater Jew
Elaborate please

Wouldn't have found its way into this universe, it could never get past customs.

Yeah, well, not that guy, but as horrifying as it might be in its own universe, any discussion as to how it inevitably fucks over whatever reality it lands in basically amounts to Power-Man discussion.

Stormbringer's always a kind of silly entity to bring up in these kinds of power wank threads, if only because of how binary the answers are. Its whole schtick is that it has a super fucking hardcore destiny. Does that destiny carry over to whatever setting this hypothetical situation happens in? If so, then Stormbringer (obviously) achieves that destiny, which includes the destruction of everything that everyone in that setting ever loved (along with everything they didn't love, universe being destroyed and all). Done.

Does its destiny not carry over outside of its setting? If that's the case, then it's just a magic sword like any other. There's really no room to discuss "power levels" with relation to Stormbringer because the only two options are "magic sword" and "destroys the universe", and there's practically no middle-ground. Still, it's fun to use these as stealth-Elric threads, which I think most of them are intended as anyway.

As the DM, I would respond:
>You go to the brothel. Fade to black.
>The next morning, the rest of the party are called to the brothel. The halfling has been found with the magic sword sticking through his chest.

I like you, I wish you were the DM.