/swg/ Space fight general

Last Thread: Post about FFG, d6, Saga/d20, X-wing, Lego, Armada and anything else Star Wars Related

Legion announcement
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/18/star-wars-legion/

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>Someone reported the Mega, it's gone now, RIP.

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4
Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Waru vs Tri, who wins?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o4sxWJISt_8
youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTR0DorSw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Trioculus doesn't even have any good powers

That's the thing that fucks me off the most about the prequel films and TCW.
The Jedi dont seem to give a single solitary fuck about sending hundreds, if not thousands of men to die, just becuase they're clones.
Which is entirely fucking unlike the way the jedi are supposed to be, and how theyre portrayed all the goddamn time when theyre not ordering clones into battle.

For me, the Clone Wars wouldve been better with the clones as the villainous army.
Maybe the Republic uses droids, or maybe it just has a standing army hastily conscripted, but the villains are the clones.
The Jedi can feel like this is a weird perversion of life, but not only that, the cloners make copies of important figures in the republic - only the Jedi can tell who they are, turning them into secret police and spies rather than generals. Which theyre much better suited to anyway AND it makes them much easier to paint as villains afterwards.
"Oh the evil secret police Jedi doing anything they wanted without oversight or mercy!"
as it is, it makes no sense that half the galaxy just insantly goes "Oh yeah,e very single general who put their life on the line to save the republic is evil, that makes total sense."
If theyre a secret police having to stop the republic being torn apart from within by clones of senators, of generals, hell of Jedi, that makes them a far shadowier group as far as the public are concerned.

Throw in some false positives where they mistakenly kill a clone and it turns out to be the real deal and bam, you have easy villification of the entire Jedi order when they were just trying to save the republic - and without any weird bullshit where they have zero issue sending thousands of men to die in headlong assualts like idiots, and then compare fucking killscores at the end like theyre playing Call of Duty: Geonosis.

How the fuck did TCW contradict anything about the Mandos? It just added yet another faction of Mandalorians. The whole Jango wasn't a Mandalorian meme? Said in-universe by a radical pacifist faction of the Mandalorians.

Just getting this out of the way before Hux gets here

Happy Regionals Day, my children.

So aside from looking like a scarification magazine gone wrong, what was so bad about the Yuuzhan Vong?

KDY > MonCal

I liked them. There i said it.

Nothing, in the context of an 90s angle of an alien invasion, I think they were good. Now though? Wouldn't work, best not be brought back because Vong aren't really Vong without the invasion concept, they were literally made for that.

They pretty much embody the tonal shift away from the swashbuckling bantam book days. Also power creep was a common point of criticism within the EU (see force powers, super weapons) and too much of the Vong's portrayal as a threat relied on that.
The books that fleshed them out as a culture were pretty neat. Nom Anor was cool too.

Strayed too far from the movies.

A Vong novel would be unrecognizable to somebody who'd only seen the OT.

I enjoyed the creativity behind their organic technology.

I'm one of the few that overall enjoyed the NJO. I think the Vong were a fresh, maybe even necessary change of pace from the revolving door of Imperials and dark siders. That being said, their themes and aesthetic could have been toned down some.

I think the bigger issue was that the project itself was too ambitious. A series of 20+ novels following a single war from beginning to end was a great idea, but there was a glaringly noticeable lack of coordination between authors. I don't know if it was due to too many cooks in the kitchen, too tight of a release schedule, poor editorial oversight, stubborn creative types, or some combination of those factors, but too often the characters and plot threads left behind by one book wouldn't be addressed in the next one. As a result, some author OCs served no purpose, some main characters personalities were all over the place, and the Vong themselves couldn't really keep a consistent "tone."

The 90s where kind of rough for Star Wars, as a setting the last movie was 10 odd years ago with literally nothing on the horizon for new movies to kick it along. Lot of competition for gamer/reader bucks amongst the 40k, D&D and Trek franchises* which also had some of the writers cross pollinating their ideas into the EU which isn't always immediately obvious unless you go look around to see who wrote what and for whom.
>*definitely a peak period for Trekkies and D&D

So, they basically got tasked to 'make Star Wars cool for the kids' and add in some of the edgy bits from 40k, the rumblings of D20 system to rope the D&D'ers in and of course the technological aspects of omgembiggening everything so that it was 'better' than Star Trek.
Course, lot of that is hit-miss in terms of how well its accepted and enjoyed. But some of it, including the Vong, really just isn't Star Wars.

>90s
>Rough
The '90s were arguably the golden age for Legends thanks to WEG, Thrawn, the flight sims, Dark Forces, the X-Wing books, etc. Competition may have been high, but I'd say that Star Wars was also at its most competitive then and in the early 2000s. The Vong didn't start rolling in until 1999, and that's where I'd say Legends started going downhill.

WEG was fairly much the driving force for Star wars as far as rpg's and novels, got to remember it was released back in 1987 and didn't die out until about 1997-98. But in some ways the video game side of the franchise was also fairly healthy with the X-wing and TIE fighter stuff being fantastic fun.
Whole heap of new players picked up the licensing around 99, which is why it seems so 'awkward'... then someone woke up George and the news he was going to make a movie again.

>literally ideas stolen from anime

anime didn't invent biotech.

>tfw proper Star Wars anime never

The whole "Shadows of the Empire" hypetrain kicked some energy into the franchise as well. Too bad it never panned out into the planned movie.

>Concept art - CHECK
>Script & Novelization - CHECK
>Soundtrack - CHECK
>PC Game - CHECK
>Toys - CHECK
>Director & Film Crew - CHECK
>Casting - 90% DONE
>Movie - CANCELED

the special editions being released theatrically in 1997 was huge, as well.

>literally nothing on the horizon for new movies to kick it along
The NJO books came out around the same time as the Prequels. In a way, both the Prequels and NJO introduced a new look and feel to the setting, just on different sides of the spectrum and the timeline.

>Movie - CANCELED
Millions of voices suddenly cried out in anger, and were suddenly silenced...
>special editions
oh shiny new box!
Which I never actually bought at the time as I was too damn busy.

But when WEG picked up the burden to drag Star Wars back into consciousness again in 1987, you wouldn't have bet good money they could have done it. Hell the last movie was 5-6 years ago and that's practically 'dead' in pop culture.

at least we got the Lost Stars manga

The TIE fighter short film shows us how awesome a Star Wars anime could potentially be.

>oh shiny new box!
>Which I never actually bought at the time as I was too damn busy.
What? No, the OT special editions were released in theaters. It was a huge deal. Tons of people saw Star Wars for the first time that way.

Technically, it's straight from George that Jango wasn't a Mandalorian. And nothing since has actually referred to him as one, other than a toy package and one article about jetpacks on the Databank, meanwhile he's been officially confirmed to not be Mandalorian, he just uses the armor because it works really well, and Boba just uses the armor because his dad did.

That was supposed to show how far the Jedi had fallen dumbass. The Jedi leading a clone army was supposed to be a bad idea. Did you not watch the Barris episode?

Shadows of the Empire was never planned to be a movie. George said he liked it enough that if he had the resources back in the 80s he would have made a movie like it, but that's it.

So what's it like having plinkett come up with opinions for you?

We need to get Lucas to throw this guy a load of dosh and a decent support crew. Can you guys imagine if we got the Adventures of Baron Soontir Fel in that style?

Oh, no I was every troopers nightmare back then. Fresh out of officer school and ready to ruin everything.
Do have the OT, original version box set on VHS, went through the back shed of dead electronicamechanical things the other day and couldn't find one, I 'think' I gave a VHS player to my sister roughly around then, so its more or less dead.
Did find a working LP player though.

You're right, my. I had to look it up as i was 110% sure the SotE movie was confirmed but canceled. It was the soundtrack being released on CD that threw for a loop. I still have that CD next to my original box Star Wars: Rebellion PC game

Digits confirm. Even better, imagine a two-sided X-Wing/TIE Fighter anime that covers the heroes and starfighters on both sides.

>They pretty much embody the tonal shift away from the swashbuckling bantam book days.

So very much this. I bought & read literally every single book published during the Bantam years except for some of the kids' books. You had the great stuff, a whole bunch of okay stuff, and a couple shit sandwiches.

Even then, there was a baseline level of Star Wars style action/adventure you were guaranteed to get.

Then 1999 hit and the license changed hands and Del Rey was all "we're gonna be different from those other guys" so they grimdarked it up.

It was an interesting idea, but it stopped being Space Opera the moment they senselessly dropped a moon on Chewie. Then they ravaged Ithor in dark detail. It wasn't fun anymore.

The Prequels ended up being pretty bad, and the NJO was a brutal, edgy and joyless experience, so I dropped it and didn't buy another SW book until Mercy Kill.

>the Jedi don't seem to give a single solitary fuck about sending hundreds, if not thousands of men to die
Good chunk of Jedi formed bonds with their men, for one. For another the fact THE JEDI FUCKED UP is. Y'know. A cornerstone of the prequel story.
>as it is, it makes no sense that half the galaxy instantly goes "oh yeah, every single general who put their life on the line to save the republic is evil, that makes total sense".
Jedi don't make up the entire leading military, for one. For another, you have both the word of your Supreme Leader (and presumably doctored recorded evidence) that said group composing of those generals had their Grand Master and the second in command attempt to outright murder him, nevermind that anti-Jedi sentiment was common even in repub worlds because they basically WERE the secret police before and during the clone wars.

I'm still looking for feedback and ideas for coming up with a custom sector. Should I repost or put everything into a pastebin?

>didn't buy another SW book until Mercy Kill

My own story is pretty similar, I dropped Star Wars books after Vector Prime (my sixth grade science teacher lent it to me, I finished it over the weekend or whatever and gave it back), went through a bunch of other authors, and didn't pick up another Star Wars book until seven or eight years later. Might have been Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

There's an actual mando government that would like to not constantly fuck their own shit up instead of being an entire race/culture of edgy donut steels.
At least that was my impression of Traviss-era mandos it's been over a fucking decade since I've read her shite.

Who here thinks then prequels get too much hate?

Sounds like you're just a manchild scared of change to be quite honest family.

Simultaneous tonal shift from the works that came before and a (seeming) lack of coordination within their own plotline. I like them in individual books though, and feel like if some of the edgier elements were toned down slightly and the Force thing was changed (suggested something along the lines of an In-Galaxy Force user having issue sensing or manipulating them because a life-form out of their own Galaxy would just be so alien or some other bullshit instead of being a nullspot of what's supposed to be the galaxy's life force.)
I really wanted that Clone Wars ep to happen.

What's this about a clone wars ep?

Pic related was some concept art sketched up.
Verrrrrry rough stages, can't remember if the (minimal) description of what it might have been was Star Wars X-Files or Star Wars Predator but I'd have watched the fuck out of either.

I was a kid at the time and moved on to other stuff like LotR, vidya, Warhammer & comic books. I was done spending money on a product that went to shit. How's that for change?

Also, pic related.

They do. They're not great films, but even the worst of them is at least coherent and tonally consistent, which is more than can be said of half of the DCEU.

In probably Season 7 or 8 (remember we only got half of season 6 plus a few more arcs with Son of Dathomir, the story reels, and Dark Disciple) they were actually looking at introducing the Vong.

However, they would have been quite a bit different from their EU incarnation. The episode/arc would have been more X-Files-ish, with the Vong basically abducting people and experimenting on them. Their immunity to the Force would have been gone, supposedly, or at the very least toned down, same with their more religious aspects.

Would it still be building to the extra galactic invasion in the future or more of a one off?

I never really liked that one part of that short. If this is the power of a regular TIE-Bomber, why bring anything else? Why don't both sides just spam missile busses launched from carriers and completely forego massive gun buckets like star destroyers like it's 20th-21st century Earf?

Please, use our new color Trioculus art.

I believe it was supposed to be more of a one-off, although it's been a while since I've looked into it more. I don't believe that it was supposed to be showing them as being quite as powerful as they were in the EU anyway.

I wish there had been more stories using pre-invasion Vong.
youtube.com/watch?v=o4sxWJISt_8

As great as it is, I think it just leaked the absurd meme value of the original

Using close combat weapons for a galactic war.

Who did?
Honest question. I'm under the impression the first use was the reinvention of the Tyranids inspired by Alien.
H. R. Giger then? Or there is some previous Sci-Fi novel?
Ironically Giger intended it the other way around, technology that looked organic.

Cause it's not a regular Tie Bomber, it's a Bomber pilioted by an ace. That's like saying Wedge proves you should just bring X-Wings to a fight.

they had potato ships

Not enough.

Why is that?

I think they get about the right amount right now, regarded as bad films that managed to not ruin the franchise

There's still plenty of people - including ones who come here and argue - who think they're the worst films ever made and that George Lucas ruined their childhood.

Meanwhile the prequels were my childhood, which ment then watching chronologically it just got better overall

And yet even people like Obi-Wan who is supposed to be effectively the paragon example we get, has zero problem?
We instead get Ki-adi-mundi brofisting with Anakin over their killscores and not even batting an eye over sending thousands of men to their deaths in a retarded assault.

Assuming Plinkett is rlm, i've never actually seen any of their videos. Other than one which got linked here with a guy acting like Rogue One having vehicles from the Civil War meant it was a bad film. Which was retarded.

Except they DO ruin the franchise by ruining Darth Vader, ruining the Old Republic and ruining the entirety of the Force.

>knowing that Vader was Luke's father in advance
>improving anything
The shock and surprise of that reveal was the best fucking thing and I am unironically and genuinely sorry that you never got to experience it that way.

For me it was refaimed as dramatic irony

I was a kid who saw it on VHS and it blew my goddamn mind

Yeah, same.
Blew me away.

>ruining Darth Vader, ruining the Old Republic and ruining the entirety of the Force

One of the main points of the PT is that the Jedi are massive hypocrites and often assholes. It's meant to flip the perspective of the OT with them being seen as totally heroic and to show how they were when in power, and how they, just like the Sith, are so full of themselves that even if they think they're doing the right thing, they're hurting those around them.

>"Only the Sith deal in absolutes."
>jedi do absolutist things constantly
>"We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers."
>happily send tons of jedi to die not long after
>happily mind trick a race of people into helping you and later dying for you
>"Don't listen to him Anakin! Palpatine wants you to kill me to assert his order's dominance on the galaxy! Kill him instead to assert our order's dominance on the galaxy!"
>anakin's misery and suffering long before he ever became a sith lord
>the de facto jedi-ruled republic's misery and corruption long before palpatine was even born
>totally forgetting the original jedi code

>hurr durr le hux memay

In retrospect, the prequels are masterpieces compared to TFA/RO. They're not great movies in their own right, certainly nowhere near OT quality, but I don't think we knew how good we had it. We traded heavily flawed gems for dirt.

They dont go intto any of that though.
I mean shit if they had anakin actively getting upset by that stuff it'd make a lot of sense - i'd probably actively respect the prequels.
But it doesnt.
He just jumps in wholesale WHOOOOO LETS KILL DROIDS, SHAME ABOUT OUR TROOPS AND THOSE TWO HUNDRED JEDI WHO DIED TO SAVE MY LIFE BUT LETS GOOOO
And then suddenly "oh maybe i shouldnt just execute dooku" and the clumsiest about face ever.
Shit's inconsistent as hell.

>clumsiest about face ever
So true. I like the Revenge of the sith, but that was underwhelming.

>totally forgetting the original jedi code
To be fair the original code was only written after we saw the PT council as a "See, they used to not be fucking morons". And it did a fine job of showing us a code where they weren't fucking morons. A lot of their later fuck ups can be attributed to them being too dependent on the force (which is still a flaw) and Palps rubbing his dick all over the local force but episode 1 and their "Nahh mate, just take the little WMD kid and give him back to Watto or something" is entirely on them.

Yeah, I actually think Phantom Menace was the strongest and they all had so much potential. Also at least Lucas was trying something new (even if the CGI was bad), he just needed some people to rein him in.

>all but two or three instances are either from obscure comic books or an obscure/third party book or supplement for a game or comic series and the enslavement doesn't even make any logical sense beyond "edgy random evil" and contradicts later books namely official ones that say the empire outlawed slavery
>in the cases of noghri and geos both were races that were at war with the empire
>implying people should get so hung up on canon and shouldn't just make their own when there's decades of it and most of itis incredibly contradictory to itself

>>"Only the Sith deal in absolutes."
>>jedi do absolutist things constantly
To be fair, wasn't that particular line flubbed? IIRC, it was originally meant to be "Only the Sith deal in such absolutes," indicating a specific case of absolutism rather than absolutism in general.

It really is a shame becuase if they'd pulled that shit off well it wouldve redeemed the entire prequel trilogy and been fucking great.

But instead he literally just falls down and says 'w-what have i done ;;' and then decides to act on this misery by mudering children.

I think the biggest mistake was probably starting before the Clone Wars. Phantom Menace didnt really say anything we couldnt have had in dialogue flashbacks, and it wouldve opened up WAY more time and space for Anakin's descent to be nuanced and sensible.

See now all that's fine.
The problem is when people show up and say >no theyre the good guys and youre blind antifa faggots if you cant see that

When what he means is
>well in my headcanon where I ignore the contradictory stuff from canon, the Empire are entirely heroic good guys and the rebels are evil terrorists
ANd that's fucking fine.
Its Star Wars. Play it how you like. Just dont pretend its actual canon.

Literally only the Essential Atlas claims the Empire outlawed slavery, and later in the book contradicts that by saying that the Empire instituted slavery as judicial punishment.

You can't simultaneously outlaw it and make it institutionalized as punishment.

It would've been so much better had there been more emotion to it. Anakin and Obi never acted like friends to start with, so the fight alone had nothing emotionally compelling about it, not to mention Anakin didn't even act convinced of himself. He acted like a petulant child. If we'd had them as close friends, and then Anakin becomes convinced that the Sith are the good guys but doubts himself, and Obi-Wan is convinced the Sith are the bad guys but doubts himself, and both try to get the other to join the other but find no common ground while their higher-ups are telling them to kill each other, it would've added a much more sorrowful "we really were brothers" angle to the whole thing. They don't WANT to fight and that's what makes it so terrible, but their ideologies get in the way; Anakin is too far gone and Obi-Wan has no other choice. The whole fight could've been condensed into a few minutes on a platform or in a facility with nothing overblown, and Obi strikes Anakin down in a lucky strike and Anakin nearly falls into lava. He tries to save him, but Anakin (Force) pushes him away, declaring his hate for Obi-Wan and that he and the Jedi are traitors, and Obi in tears is forced to leave him as he sees Palpatine's shuttle fly overhead.

Boom. Not perfect but infinitely more dramatic than what we got.

Let people choose what they want to be canon and keep only the OT/PT as solid lore. Everything else outside of it is up to personal interpretation.

Again so much of it is self-contradictory and disconnected that you really can pick and choose.

It's your galaxy to build, and all of the content is there in front of you to build it with.

This is how it always was albeit unofficially, and how it always should be, and it sucks Disney ended that.

If you like something, think of it as canon. If you don't, then ignore it. If it's outside the original movies and prequels, it's fair game.

Yeah, exactly.
I have no problem with people headcanoning whatever they like. Its just that they dont.
They claim its actual canon.
Which it quite obviously isnt.

For me the problem is that they never gave Anakin a compelling reason to change sides. He did it for Padme but later he seems to give a fuck about her.

Or you know, actually DEALING with them, as opposed to just saying one.
You know, when Anakin straight up told Obi "you're either on my side or I'll fucking murder" right before that line?

>he did it for Padme but later he seems to give a fuck about her
Because she thought she betrayed him for Obi In more ways than one depending on your out of film source of choice and refused to stand by him when he gives that whole "yo babe we'll just kill Palpatine and rule everything what could go wrong" speech.

Reminder that a spacethot did more damage to our guy than the Jedi, Palpatine, and Obi-Wan ever did.

In his defence Kenobi did adopt his finest "I just fucked your wife" pose when he stepped into view at the top of the ramp.

Anakin's Delta-7 should have won the Skywalkerbowl.

Lucas to a degree was victim of his lofty pedestal, people never said no to him, even when he was joking

So I put all out dumb callsign ideas from last thread in a notepad. I'm gonna alphabetize them and put them into a spreadsheet

Alright Veeky Forums, I need your help with the Silencer.

Now that we know Optics costs 2 points, we know that PTL/Sensors/Title/Autos/Optics Kylo costs 47 and if you are an arced ship/have a blind spot, Kylo can beat you if you are under PS 9.

That leaves 53 points for wingmen that are good at dealing with PWT/non-arced ships, and PS 9+ stuff.

Besides taking a Palp+Kylo+Dauntless+Trick Shot Oicunn and taking Blackout in the Silencer, what. Works for flying alongside a Silencer?

Whatever else you want to say about it the vehicles and planets were pretty cool for the most part.

>royal shuttle lands
>everyone is immediately blinded

Palp shuttle and filler is probably good.

Running the PS7 with a standard RAClo is also fine.

2x TLT aggressors, mangler gunboats are also valid.

>one of the fanciest yachts ever to roll off the production line
>in Mos Fucking Eisely
For what purpose?

Standard defense system.
Weaponized bling.

They actually didn't go to Mos Eisley there. That was Mos Espa.

youtube.com/watch?v=7SqTR0DorSw

I don't think she cucked him, but was he lying about those younglings? Was he trying to banter and they took it seriously? Anakin never confirms he killed them, he even denies it.