Help me make a backstory Veeky Forums. Basic outline is hes a hardened fighter whos had his tongue cut out

Help me make a backstory Veeky Forums. Basic outline is hes a hardened fighter whos had his tongue cut out

why does it matter? not like he can tell anyone it.

/thread

That... actually works

Cut out his own tongue just before he was captured in order to stop [VILLAINS] from having secret information tortured out of him.

[VILLAINS] still want to recapture him and see what information they CAN torture out of him.

He can write I guess.

depends on the setting but often times most run of the mill fighters wouldn't be literate, hardened or not.

That is stupid because he can still write. He would need to have his tongue cut out as a punishment maybe he is just a shitty person

Having his tongue cut out seems like something that does not happen randomly, so start with why it was cut out and then build from there. Maby a king/lord accused him of lying and had it cut out as punishment. Many he was a enforcer in a cult and it was a tradition.

Your statements cancel each other out.

Taken prisoner by orcs/goblins/elves/some appropriately savage group. Joe Fightman refused to give up the general's plans/swear fealty to the elven king/admit that there is no god but Grummsh and Gargrag is his prophet, and his tongue was put out with hot irons. Has mild PTSD, an deep hatred for knife ears/greenskins/Sardinians, and a very strong aversion to spicy food.

I have a similar character I am playing now.

The silent swordsman whose companions call 'Bashful' Dan. Too damn clever as a child and let it get to his head. Joined the army because he was too good for a bakers son and wanted to prove himself. Worse yet for his humility, he was good at killing people.

Problem was he got waaay too full of himself, got cocky, and took a warhammer to the face because he was too busy taunting his enemy to see it coming.

Dan wakes up three days later to a mouthful of broken teeth, a mess of what becomes scar tissue, and the stark realization that he bit off his own tounge. Its in the mud somewhere on that battlefield.

Dan took it really hard, spent the next few years drinking away his savings, and started the campaign with his skills gone to rust, a drinking problem, a need of cash and a seriously bruised ego. He doesnt just prefer not to talk through his missing tongue, but he keeps his helmet on damn near all the time to hide his ruined face. He gestures a lot when he needs to convey information.

Joe Fightman is a disciple of an esoteric religion, focused around meditating in an attempt to discern the name of God. This religion holds that the path to discovery is a personal one, and to share the fruits of one's labour with those who have not worked for it is the highest blasphemy.

Joe Fightman succeeded in discerning a single syllable of His name, and so was required by his faith to cut out his own tongue to keep it secret, lest he rob others of their own journey to enlightenment.

He bit his tongue off because he talked while riding a bumpy carriage. He tries to trick people into thinking that there's much more going on, and has an embarrassing fear of horse drawn vehicles.

What motivates him to go out and adventure though?

>That is stupid because he can still write

Not if he isn't literate.

>My character can't communicate with others in a timely manner, thus excusing me from my obligation to roleplay!
>now how do I make him interesting?
Make a new character.

Taking away speaking doesnt necessarily mean taking away all character. It just means you have to find a way to make communication another way, which I think is pretty fun to figure out and can make the game funny in certain situations

Once the childhood gay lover of the prince, their sacrilege was discovered by the king, who had him beaten abused, and tortured, and then shipped off to the church to live out the rest of his now-cloistered life.

Now, with his heart set on vengeance, he escaped to become a wandering mercenary, believing that when the day finally comes, not even a severed tongue can stop him from sucking the Prince's dick.

>My character has his tongue cut off or is otherwise unable to communicate vocally.
>My character doesn't know how to speak common / whatever language everyone else uses.
>My character is a loner/socially awkward/brooding edgelord who doesn't like dealing with people.
>My character can only communicates in growls / beep boops / hand signs

Just stop.
You might think this is cool, but it isn't. No one thinks this shit is fun to deal with. You are guaranteed to be the most boring motherfucker on the table. I would legit rather have someone make their character the most special mary sue snowflake on the planet than a fucking asshole that never speaks.

Why does it matter?

Play your character. The nicknames, inside jokes, and circumstances that come up from playing the game are infinitely more relevant and interesting than whatever cliched shit you slap onto your character sheet.

>I am bad at roleplaying
>I like judging people on my own misconceptions about people who roleplay!
Stop playing.

Oh I agree, but a guy making a mute character and coming to Veeky Forums for advice about his backstory is not going to do any of that. It's literally babby's first character trait and it's lazy and it's a crutch. OP couldn't make a more generic character if he tried. In fact doing a literal 100% cliched stereotype would be better because then he'd at least have a clear idea of the kind of character he should be acting like.

Sorry you had a bad idea for your first character, OP.

Don't play mute characters, user. I cannot even begin to describe how much it slows down the game.

Maybe the fighter was apart of a criminal organization and ratted on someone and had it cut out.

Maybe he talked back to a violent Lord

Maybe he joined a martial order and has a vow of silence. Like a monk but a knightly version

Honestly depends on other aspects of the character. Alignment, setting, etc