/WIP/ Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Thread(s):

Hey guys, quick question! How can I cut out decals closer- I know it will be "cut the decal closer to the image" but I'm not sure how to get the corners of it. Alternatively, is there an easier way to hide the corners of the decal?

I'd say layer your paints, but cutting it is actually the answer, but afterwards yeah

look up micro sol

Do you have to use microset after everytime?

(not wip user just posting this)

>Do I receive a confirmation after signup?
Yes, I send 'em out as soon as I see the email, shouldn't take longer than 1-2 days. If you got none til then, resend a mail.

>What shall I include in the email?
Well, your address, obviously. Also, your name if you're not 100% sure that you receive packages without a name. You also can include what you are collecting etc, but don't expect to get something related to that 100%

>What shall I gift?
I don't know, use your imagination! You can check last year's SS here: imgur.com/a/1fxhq

>How much should I gift?
Well it should be at least 10-15$ in value, so that it is worthwhile all the hassle. But you can also go higher and nobody will say a thing if it's only 7.85$. It's the gesture that counts. I'm sure you find some cool stuff in your bitzbox, too.

>When do we get our matches?
The matching will take place Dec 1st and after that, you'll receive an email with the address of your match

>What about shipping costs?
I try to do continental matching, so they shouldn't be too high. If you specifically want someone from another continent, I also try to arrange that!

>What do if I get grinched?
Email me and I'll try to contact your match. If we can't sort it out, he'll get put onto the naughty list. Often, we find kind anons jumping in and sending something to you in this case!

>Why the fuck are we doing this?
Because /WIP/ is literally the most wholesome online community.

>Do people sign up from country XY?
Most people sign up from NA and EU, but also from Australia, Japan, whatever. If you only want to participate of someone else from your country registers, you can ask in advance, just shoot an email.

I dont know what else to say other than cutting it ,really.

As for making sure decals are as perfect as possible

>Brush vallejo decal medium to the area of application
>apply the decal
> apply Vallejo decal fix on top of it after it is dry.
>Wait a few hours than brush matt varnish on it.

What does /wip/ think of my first captain?
>yes the blue is showing; I like a small amount of primer on the blue to help find the mold lines easier

Awesome, thanks anons!

>I like a small amount of primer on the blue to help find the mold lines easier

What?

fuck forgot to rotate

It' harder for me to see the mold lines. I dunno, it just makes it feel easier when I'm trimming them

Posting some WIP related tutorials if people wont mind.

>Bolt action german painting

>Greenstuff tips

What are some good quality large base brushes for painting big areas on tanks, terrain, or big monsters?
I've been using some Winsor and Newton Series 7 brushes for my guardsmen and they've blown my old cheap brushes out of the water in every aspect, so I'm assuming the same thing applies to the larger brushes as well.

>Painting faces masterclass

I think for larger areas you should look for flat brushes. That shape is more suited for the job.
>pic related.

>Painting faces Redux

that's awesome bro, feel free to.
also, should I cut the guard off for more of a greek aesthetic? going for minotaur chapter setup

here's a second pic for other critiques
>yes I'm going to fix the missing primer for his inside helm

I am having a hard time thinking about ways that beer belly primaris kit can be saved

I think you should replace your air filter.

Haha I still have 60 more guys in coming in i gotta do also

Well he's kind of just my stand-in until I get an Asterion model for less than my spleen, so he's good to piddle around with.
air filters? what air filters? this is Duplicolor

>Correct way to re-shape body parts

This one is especially important and very usefull.

Put some decals on my tank today.

Did you just make a greenstuff mould from the dead guy ?

And a side shot.

It turned out alright for something that is just going to be a gaming piece.

absolutly awful model that should never exist, the paintjob is really nice though, top notch weathering and effects.
The repulsor is irredemably shit though

>Imperial Knight Red Candy Tutorial

Got the rest shaded, took the hair out. Gonna start fiddling with bronzes tomorrow. Anyone know a good cheap paint that gets a nice Minotaur color?

>smiley

Kill yourself

I just wish it had tracks. Not much we can do about that. I would have hoped that the land raider could take Primaris marines.

Yeah, pressed in green stuff and I'm gonna see the results tomorrow.
Will post

>muh grimdark aesthetics

>Painting White armor tutorial

>Kill yourself

You too.

You can use flat brushes for most things. Turned to the side they do lines of varying thickness, and you can do fine work with the corners. I honestly paint most things with flat brushes.

fug forgot pic

You made it look about as good as that model could be, user. Good job.

okay fugck this shit I'm getting my other camera

You are american arent you?

Pic related, I think

Doesnt seem like a viable idea.
I mean you will have to break the mold to get the greenstuff out.
That is assuming your new greenstuff did not stick to the old one.
Google oyumaru, that would have been a better alternative.

Even worse i'm afraid, I'm British.

>female faces GW style

I'm as confused as I am bad at painting with spray cans

Green stuff is bendy and flexible, it should be fine

I've also done this before and it's worked out fine. Just use some vegetable oil and you're good

>Making checkers

>very cheap lightbox

>Making clear lenses for vehicles

>steel wire brush method for eldar vehicles
>Airbrush

>Marble techniques

>Tank Tracks

I'd never thought of that before, that's brilliant

looks fucking sick. What kind of brush did you buy?

I'm painting my very first squad of Cadian Shock Troops, and I'm halfway through them (Got the colours on everthing, got everything washed) I'm about to go over again with the base colours on the raised bits and then do the highlighting.

I think I went way too thick on the wash, which is something to keep in mind for the next squad, and I've been having trouble with paint consistency. I'm using a wet palette but I'm not sure how much water I should use. I always end up too thick or too thin.

Apologies for the picture quality. My phone has zero options for fine tuning the picture for some bizarre reason.

All in all, I think it's a pretty solid effort for my first attempt. They're pretty messy in some areas, specifically around the winged emblems, but I think I can correct that when I go over my after-wash coat of the two base colours.

Thoughts?

>gallery.kingdomdeath.com/Survivor-Painting-Guide

Kingdom death website has great tutorials for advanced painters. You can check various others from the left side of the page.

Not me , but google steel wool sponge

>Not my pic i meant

>Another skin painting tutorial
>studiomcvey.blogspot.com.tr/2007/12/boobs-is-what-they-want.html

So, I'm thinking of getting into sculpting board game pieces, but I'm completely new to this and I'm seeking advice/guides/videos/etc.

Specifically I want them to be stylistically like Jumanji (pic related) pieces or maybe Relic (board game) busts NOT like your usual miniatures. Think chess pieces.

Should I still use wire frames? What about bulk? It just seems like a huge waste to made a figure that big entirely out of greenstuff. Suggestions?

Google super sculpey

So is there any reason to go with water based paint over an acrylic? Most of the acrylic glow in the dark paint I've found dries clear-ish while I'm wanting it to remain blue in both daylight and glow light.

cc for tau paint theme

Too monotone. I would try to liven the theme up by using another color.
For example those black parts can be all white and you would have a more recognisable army.

I plan to do some markings using a bright blue color. As for the pants. I've never been a fan of the color white before, so I think that is a no go.

Pls validate me or hate me

I now realize that this scorched grass is way more scorched than I thought and I oughtta darken the base rims. I also dont know what the fuck to highlight silver with and I think it looks kinda flat and meh

I'm not But I do agree that Black+ brown for the two main colors is no bueno. Just blurs into one.

Have you considered a tan instead of black? That looks to be Rhinox Hide there, so I would think Rakarth Flesh or Ushabti Bone would be good, depending on how wide you want the contrast.

I was gonna say the same thing. Lacks contrast, but as it is a wip...
The thing is I think you need something brighter as contrast color than your basing option. White would have been a natural choice for me as well.

Not sure how I feel about the blue, but I'm willing to wait and see.

As a minor critique though unrelated to the painting, I think it would look better if you used thinner cork tiles and either sanded the bottom so they sit at a slight angle, or add some filler into your pva on one side when you glue them down. Or use putty or something.
The flat cork concrete looks okay, but also a bit uninspired.

Black rim is best rim.

Also, since it's TMM, you can simply highlight with a brighter silver.

Re-postan what I have so far. My characters just arrived, so I'll be starting them soon.

TMM?

Whats brighter than ironbreaker?

>I now realize that this scorched grass is way more scorched than I thought and I oughtta darken the base rims.
I think you should paint the base rims a dark brown or even black and they would look much much better. The bright green stands out more than anything else on the model.
>I also dont know what the fuck to highlight silver with and I think it looks kinda flat and meh
I think you should worry about the armor first. Add some line highlight to get some contrast going.
Especially on a black shoulderpad I think it's worth to paint a minor highlight on the inset next to the trim with a small gap inbetween to get some visual definition on the models.
Just look at GW's studio paintjobs to see what I mean. It's all about the contrast.

True Metallic Metals - your'e using paint with actual metal flakes in it.

The next step up from Ironbreaker is Runefang Steel.

Dis better, or should I just go with a black base?

much better. You still need to get rid of the rest bit of green somehow. That looks off now.

The brown look way better though.

I'll try and cover it up as best I can. Finna post my shit up tomorrow.

for a quicker and cheaper lightbox, just put the model in your fridge

>Saving the thumbnail

Fridge is for taking pics to post here.
Lightbox is to take prof pictures once you have finished everything about the mini.

Wrong, TMM is using NMM techniques by using metallic paints.

Nah, that grass actually looks really natural (as far as I can see in that photo). A lot like the dry grass on a farm park, but thats unimportant. Frankly I would be more worried about the models, which need extra work done in some areas. Lenzes, plume, tubes.

Also, the bits underneath the grass need to be much darker, maybe drown in a wash of some brown/black colour

Steel Legion Drab is best base color, both for rim and also under static grass. I'm partial to texture paint with static patches but to each their own.

can u show me that lil' feller so u can see the face

I like it. Throw some orange markings for contrast meaby.

Making some terrain out of Celotex.
Stuck down to hardboard with decorators caux.
Covered in PVA glue for a hard shell and protection.
Sand also has a second layer of PVA glue.

Here's the second one with base coat sprays.
Photos of it drybrushed and with static grass coming later.

Neat.

Me again with a now updated photo box. Covered the back bottom and sides with drawing paper.

Decided to test it with my KO collection.

Thoughts on both, does the photo box work?

If so I will then try my new infinity collection with it.

>lubed dead elf hole

It would help if I put the photo...

Muh Savlar HQs

Hello all, I'm looking for advice / suggestions

Colour theory advice here for my Escher, looking for a uniform hair colour for the girls, something that would complement the Green (Cabilite)

Also would a sort of animal print loin cloth like in the GW versions work do you think? Like a ... rich light brown with the leopard spots?

But main question is, what colour for Hair

Thanks!

Reddish orange if going with the color theory. And leopard patterm could work.