Tell me about the time a homebrew rule ended up being horribly broken and OP

Tell me about the time a homebrew rule ended up being horribly broken and OP

Would the only option to save the cat is to break the glass and risk cuts?

Nice to see you have your priorities in order user

It's happened a few times, but there aren't really any stories? A suggested bit of homebrew ran into some issues and didn't work as intended, so we stopped and either removed it or changed it. We don't just keep using it even after we realise it's stupid, or allow said stupidity to interfere with current events.

Armor Class was a skill.
This was 3.5e.
God, that DM was a fucking idiot.

I had a homebrew system that I just tested on the fly. Every game would have balance reworks, but the first session was a madhouse. My favorite horrible rule was a rule that stated that a player could forgo their normal number of attacks per turn (in melee this was usually 2-4 strikes) and instead attack every enemy that they passed one time. Of course, one player realized that if their character had a large movement range they could run in a zig-zag pattern and hit half of the enemies on the board while still returning to cover afterward. Immediately removed the rule after the session was over.

Come to think of it, the same dumb system allowed players to run and use a sniper rifle at the same time. The squad's "sniper" stopped using armor so he could run faster and turned into a COD drop-shooting quickscoper who fired from point-blank range. This is why balance testing is a thing.

My brother, every now and then, releases the next iteration of his squad based miniature skirmish game. The idea is that you create via point buy a small party of characters for a death match.
Each time, I win by finding the latest loophole or exploit within the rules to defeat everyone.
>first iteration
>magic system has yet to have mana implemented
>"fighter" class allows multiple actions but bans weapons, intended for a bare-knuckle brawler combo warrior.
>Combine the two plus a buff item to add to haste factor
>Destroy both foes' squads in one round by placing concurrent Elemental Storms on top of them.
The second time was more balanced, a lot closer:
>Game now has "Stamina" to limit moves and actions
>Stats increase the more you spend, making characters with high level in lots of stats tricky
>Create a character who's basically a massive blob of stamina
>whip-wielding reach fighter with nasty attack bonuses
>mage with spell "Transfer Stamina"
>Defeat foes by having whip-fighter spam attacks to basically flay characters in a single turn
It's actually a fun game, I can't wait until he releases the next version for us to play. Each time is more balanced.

Sounds like a perfect CoD homebrew. You just have to add "out of game" phase where 13 years old PCs get yelled at by parents, and the more broken rules they opt to use in the "game" phase to dominate the server, the worse IRL family situation becomes.

>someone designs their own game and reacts sensibly to someone breaking it
Didn't happen.

Seeing where the game breaks is the entire point of testing, user.

I would like to know this too

I wouldn't worry much about cuts except around the eyes, that cat looks very fluffy so that should protect it if you break it at the middle and not the area where the jar narrows. You could probably pull it out even.

I imagine you just grab the cat by the back legs and just pull him out.

>Be me, playing D&D
>Put together an Aztec-inspired orc sorcerer who used blood to cast spells
>Overly kind GM lets me homebrew a spell that essentially turns any cut into a fountain of blood a la Kill Bill- It was my first game, so I didn't know about Blood Loss Damage

>Turns out GM set things up so that every time a player took damage with the spell active (and it would last 5 turns) they would take 3 turns of blood loss damage, and made it stack
>mfw the poor cleric fucking explodes into a blood geyser from 3 lucky hits

>Be me, 16, playing d&d 5e
>Not much experience, had only started a few months back
>Have friend who DM's, and is absolutely shit at it
>But since I don't have much ground for what's good and bad I don't know any better
>He didn't even bother to read ANYTHING about D&D, not even basic fucking rules
>Decides inspiration can be used to make anything you want real in the game
>Basically handing out deus ex machinas

>Be with D&D group, deep into session 4 of the game
>Fucking nerd playing a goliath barbarian ends up body switched with our gnome wizard.
>gnome had previously raped said goliath barbarian's waifu
>Gnomeliath is now on trial for the rape
>Gnomeliath has like 5 inspiration because DM lets them stack
>GL uses an inspiration to switch bodies back
>Goliome uses his to switch them back again
>Our bard uses his to switch them back
>This keeps going until the Nerd has no inspiration left and is stuck in the gnome
>DM let him go anyways
Good times now that I think about it, but still a shitshow.

The best way to get the cat out unharmed is probably to put tape around the glass, then carefully shatter it at the bottom and quickly get off the tape (at which the glass shards stick, use good, sticky tape!)
Maybe only tape the bottom half to get it off faster

Fucking hilarious lmao
props to that gm and you senpai

You don't know what game development is, do you?

I once had a DM throw in some clearly OP "augment armor" into a space campaign. It was all about Augments that would make it Op as fuck, but that DAM didn't like me at all. So instead of using his Home brew Armor that depended on how well I sucked his cock I went and make a non home brew class and broke that hard as fuck because he gave us more credits than he should have. A friend of mine saw this and copied me. So we have 2 broken as fuck Characters that didn't depend on the DMs made to be OP class.

We then fucked his encounters hard as we could and he gave up during the second session where he tried to break us.

One time we got AS advancements equivalent to our level, with a bonus after a while too.

No need. The cat can get out.

>Dark Heresy
>declare that firing two autopistols in full-auto is perfectly within the rules
>player makes gunslinger
>has an unmoded 70% chance at hitting stuff at all times

Isn't ammo a consideration in DH

He can also just have them fight something with unnatural toughness x2 or better. Yes you hit twice, but you loose 8 damage per shot. Should have invested in an accurate weapon.

Yeah, but autopistols are fed with the cheapest kind of ammo. Also consider that even when I did, on a good full-auto roll, you get extra attacks and if even one of them are a 10, we're going off the deep-end quickly.
Also the other players wouldn't be able to do shit in such a situation, it got that broken.
Also, it was like the second time I ran the thing, so I was kinda shit tee bee heitch

The cat can get out on its own. It seems more stuck than it really is because it is so fluffy, so it seems to conform to the space.

The cat was able to turn around in there, which is the hard part, so it should be able to make it out on its own.

Not quite homebrew, but close enough.

DnD 3.5:

>GM ok'd one of our players being a Minotaur without reading what Minotaurs get as a race.
>Introductory dungeon we woke up in was a labyrinth.
>GM has since learned his lesson.

>I once made a point buy system to let players design their own arms and armor.
>They would basically multiply again and again and pay certain level of cost in magical, divine items or flawless / perfect gems, reagents, oaths of service and the like, plus provide sometimes their own materials.
>Resulting items would cost more than a fucking castle
>Party was ridiculously rich and were already playing sim city / tropico on the micro scale, because they managed to kill the previous BBEG in a ridiculously well executed plan concocted by our resident tactical ranger... by level 9.
>I quote from our priest/champion: "Blessed are the siege weapons, fuck be the demons who dare to come"
>Well, point is the players were rich, the end was coming and money was just out of track by this point.
>So they make their own equipment and I'm going to take them on tour through pandemonium and the blessed isles, towards the most majestic, bumfucking large dungeon I've ever designed.
>It's an entire city with upper levels and sublevels, parts of which are in different planes of existence, some of which are in deep space, and even a small spell lab (with a secret entrance) in the far realm, with the central hub being a small demiplane on its own.
>Point is, it WAS the previous VBBEG base, and it's chuckfull of monsters, traps and clues. Also, not even from sigil could you open a portal to get there. Do the full trek or you'll never reach this place.

Cont.

>I realize this I went overboard with the size, and left a few cop outs as to let them leave with pieces of info if they follow certain routes.
>I'm only afraid of the ranger's mind, the rest are very good players but don't break the adventure for the most part.
All of them spend 1+ hour trying to design their perfect equipment, and are pleasantly surprised to see the end of their budget.
>They don't actually design perfect armor alright, but it's enough for epic tier equipment. Some weapons get extra enchantments but nothing too fancy.
>Inside the dungeon, however, they demonstrate a teamwork I've never seen before, alternating acording to each monster's weakness and strenghts; the most simple armor, a black plate that granted acid immunity to the wearer is used at its fullest against the miniboss black dragon, and as I realize in turn, each of them has become highly resistant to something, from telephatic attacks, to elements, to force spells. Together they operate like a fucking sentai team, changing formations and using their new weapons in bizarre ways.
>And then I remember, the ranger insisted on something funny, that his armor must end up green in color, below its morphing attribute. Everytime they shifted formation or did something tacticooly flavored, she tried in vain to supress a chuckle.
>They cleared the dungeon with about 80 something % in 6 sesions.
>I guess you can imagine what was their ending color scheme.