Which ship's crew has the best track and field team?

Which ship's crew has the best track and field team?

Depends on the setting

(Starfleet officer < guardsman < stormtrooper < space marine < jedi/sith)

>Some voidborn half starved inbred serf who's closest experience of earthy soil under his feet is when hes forced to clean out the ships septic tank compartments. Will be shot by his workgangs overseer if seen doing anything but work to make an example out of him.

>Some dipshit redshirt from Montana who has been using the holodeck for everything but exercise. Will die within the first 20 minutes of the Federations latest blunder of a diplomatic first contact.

>Some Outer-rim hick with a hard-on for TIE fighters but failed out of the academy only to be stuck as a Sensor Screen technician and get bitched at by the commander 24/7 about how we keep losing track of rebel ships. Will die when his buddy the Sheild Generator Tech. went for a piss and lets a rebel fighter allahu akbar into the bridge A FUCKING STAR DESTROYER.
In my humble opinion ...

WH40K wins every time, your overseer threatening to give you the emperors peace if you don't hurry up with those mops is more motivation than the other two can muster up combined.

The Galaxy-class would be the most likely to have crew actually familiar with track and field. However, the Mars has the highest potential due to sheer population.

>lean serf with the fear of the Emperor behind him

>nerd with his personal reputation to uphold

>Imperial yuppie grunt

hmmmmmm...

Galaxy class.

Both the Imperial vessels are going to be somewhat lacking in terms of training and recreational facilities compared to the prime luxury yacht/dreadnought that a Galaxy class is.

To get anywhere on the Galaxy class, you take a turbolift. If you are extremely lazy and know the right technician you just transport. Everything is nicely carpeted, with a lounge on every deck.

The Star Destroyer has a few km of corridors, but once again 3 axis lifts mitigate long travel time. You will need to pass some security checkpoints and maybe file a report.

To get anywhere on a Mars, you need to rally up a team to carry on the message in case the others fall. You then must advance through miles of corridors that may not have been visited in 5000 years. The ship may or may not have several hundred infestations of insane cyborgs abandoned and forgotten for centuries, alien parasites that have gone unnoticed in the miles of vents, or just hungry crew who are unaware of what a "spaceship" is and who's entire universe consists of pulling wire through piping.

To put it bluntly, you are on a Federation or Imperial ship, you are running because it's a pastime and keeps you in shape

on a Mars, you are running to survive. Chances are slow crew are dead.

Starfleet would have 5 good players and a bunch of people who die of Moldavian lung infections who are all wearing red jerseys

Galaxy, they are the only ones to show up

the Mars appeared at the track without any surviving crew twenty years ago. The Imperial class got lost without hyperlanes, but will arrive shortly after they rediscover galactic cartography from scratch (give them a couple decades).

The (Galactic) Imperials would be shit at javelin, constantly throwing way outside the designated zone.

Imperial Navy and Starfleet come off as professional. Imperial Navy seems like everybody is either a half-starved slave, brainless servator, or genocidal officer

What if it's a Mechanicum run Mars class?

>Imperial Navy seems like everybody is either a half-starved slave, brainless servator, or genocidal officer

They are and there still professional.

>Magos tries to high jump

>muh 40k grimdark
lol

haha le so randum upboated XD

>Sicarian Ruststalker is the Mechanicum's choice for the men's 400m hurdles.
>The judges while skeptical are assured by the Magos Biologicus that what little biomatter remains has been identified as male.
>The Empires Imperial naval officer and Ensign Ricky of Starfleet were found in the locker room in a state the coroner described as 'human mulch'

Why is Star Wars even a thing?

I don't know why people compare these ships based on this image.

Mars classes are hardly the average ship in 40k. Why not size down to a ship of more equal capability, or even a more equal size? There's plenty of medium sized cruisers in 40k, put a Lunar class or something up there.

A Sword class frigate is the same size as an Imperial Star Destroyer, and there are hundreds of thousands of those.

All three ships are slightly above average for main line battleships of their respective settings.

The same reason a shitty modern corvette can go toe to toe with a Yamato-class.

Why do a Cruiser and a Frigate have the same name for class of ship? Is that a typo or an actual thing?

Robot legs take it easily. Regular Skitarii could probably win against unaugmented humans, but if not they lop him up for failure and send pic related to the next race.

Why does that gun have two magazines?

Because Admech. I don't know, maybe one is a power cell to charge up the magnetically guided smart flechettes as they leave the barrel or something so they do their "score a couple hits, the entire rest of the volley suddenly has perfect aim" thing.

I hate that torpedoe spreads suck in the vidya and nova cannons are so underwhelming; also every single different style of macrocannon battery that isn't imperial being useless

some have three, it's called a multiloader or smart magazine or something

The Executor Class SSDs in the Empire's Navy were 19km long. 40k isn't all that impressive.

Cause someone fucked up.
That frigate class is called a "Firestorm", notice the prow mounted lance. Very nasty in packs, those.

Blackstone fortresses, Space hulks, Spaceborn Fortress Monasteries etc etc.

Yes, compare the Executor to the more standard ships of the Imperial Navy and it will be bigger (but still ruined by shit range, armour and point defences). Now compare them to some of the giants from the Imperial Navy and once more star wars falls flat.
Thank you for your time.

The only ships in the Imperial Navy that compare are the fucking Gloriana Class ships, which might not even be in service in the 41st Millenium. And they're only about 1km longer than the Executor.

If you want to bring space stations into it then you're looking at comparing to the Death Stars, not to a ship. I think 40k still loses out in that argument.

hurrr xDDDDDD IMPERIUM IS SO GRIMDARK YOU LITERALLY DIE WHEN USING THE TOILET BECAUSE MUTANT CYBORG MUSHROOMS EAT YOUR ASS

Fuck off idiot, stop exaggerating everything about 40k, Imperial Navy ships are quite safe due to routine patrols and crewmembers working all over the ship. You only get grimdark aids shit on Chaos vessels where they might have some deamons or monsters onboard.

I mentioned several deathstar equivalents up there. Blackstones, literally deathstars.

Marine Fortress Monasteries, giant ftl capable weapon platforms/fleet headquarters capable of wiping planets. Sound familiar?

And thats not going into the named, super special ones like Phalanx or Raptorus Rex

Space hulks... Yea, those are space hulks.

Tho if you want a ship, more specifically, I'd go with Planet Killer.

Dude, I like Star wars. I like 40k.
But SW doesn't have a lick when it comes to this form of dickwaving. Hell the fact that your go to is the super-weapon projects (and even failing with those) rather then baseline naval assets shows you know this as well.

SSDs are not super weapon projects. The Empire had a damn lot of them in service, if you go by the EU. And 40k's only answer to them, size wise, is a 30k ship which sees virtually no active use by the time 40k is happening.

Comparing Space Hulks and battle stations to battleships is absurd, they're totally different roles and scales.

>Imperial Navy ships are quite safe due to routine patrols and crewmembers working all over the ship
As long as you don't go wandering into one of the Dark Holds - sections of the ship that have been sealed off for thousands of years and become inhabited by cannibalistic mutants, anyway.

And that's canon, by the way - check out the Inquisitor's Handbook for Dark Heresy 1e, which was published by GW back before they sold the rights to the line to FFG.

People exaggerate 40k to no fucking end, I know it’s mostly headcanon or a single source that dials everything up to the extreme. For the sake of discussion, how autistic it might be, it should be okay to assume a regular imperial navy ship is not a fucking horror house with “cordoned off” sections infested with cannibals.

It's fun.

The scaling is wrong though - Lunar-Cruiser is 5 km long and a Battleship is 12 km long - A Sword Frigate is still 1,5 km long.

NOT CANON
O
T

C
A
N
O
N

Is it absurd tho?

One is an ftl capable weapons platform designed to engage and destroy enemy assets and the other...

Is an ftl capable weapons platform designed to engage and destroy enemy assets.
Literally the only difference is the shape and that stations etc generally have auxiliary roles on top of that. But they still go on the very same missions.

So is it absurd? Hardly, if these high end vessels/stations can be found at the frontline fighting then it seems entirely reasonable to me to compare the two.

Second, you seem rather obsessed with size. Yes 40k Imperial Navy ships are on average 'far' larger then SW Imperial navy ships. But beyond that they are flat better. Far longer ranges (That is: Not visual only. Always been curious about that, is it because of range or lacking sensor technology?), armour designed to take a beating rather then explode to random fighter strafing runs (And again, what compare an Imperial Fury to an X-wing or a TIE and you'l see the massive discrepancy of firepower and doctrine highlighted. Furies are 70m monsters with banks of lascannons and missiles... And they cannot scratch the paint of warships whereas in SW we've seen what strafing runs can do), weaponry designed to punch through said armour and shields made to withstand some of that firepower.

The one area where SW is superior is FTL travel, but even then they are similarly constricted. Both require stable routes through space/space hell to be routed and SW is usually faster, but also interceptable.

But if, at the end, all you are arguing is that "Super Star Destroyers are bigger then most ships end of story" then... yes. I would agree, they are indeed bigger then most spaceborn assets of both settings.

>Nobles
>Not indulging in the most opulent dining possible

You're comparing what you see on screen in Star Wars films, to what you see written in text in mastubatory 40k stat articles and over the top novels.

The Star Wars films ignore the stats of the ships they're portraying. Should their ships go down to a random strafing run? Statistically, fuck no. But it's cool cinema, so they do in the films. Can they shoot out beyond visible range? Yes. But they don't in the films because that'd be fucking boring.

You're making apples and oranges comparisons with your source material here.

The only source material I have for 40k is Battlefleet gothic and some of the rpg's which flesh out some details (such as the size/armament of the Fury)

And yea, I certainly compare that to the star wars films. Unless, of course. You would make the argument that SW films are, in fact, not canon?

I'm saying the actual written stats of the ships don't line up with the films, because Star Wars films don't got for simulationist realism, it's a space opera where plot armour rules supreme.

So in short. You admit to talking out your proverbial ass and that SW numbers are, in fact and amusingly, less consistent that that of 40k and you wish to cherry pick only the "Strongest" numbers in order to win a fictional dickwaving competition.

Wow. Seriously, let that one sink in.

Yeah, but what isn't these days?

I don't pick the "strongest" numbers. I pick the numbers. They're fairly consistent. The movies just tend not to worry about adhering rigidly to the actual stats given in RPGs, datasheets and etc.

Kind of like exactly what most 40k stories do? At least Star Wars can manage to keep the numbers it's ignoring fairly consistent.

Executor's 40k (well, 30k really, though there's still a couple knocking about) equivalent is a Gloriana - customised, personalised, macro-sized flagships for the top generals and their armies

They all vary slightly, but the bigger ones like the Iron Blood are around 26km long

Are there even any Glorianas in service by the 41st Millenium? They're more of a HH era ship.

Not that user, but I'm going to stop you right there.
The movies are the actual stats, or at least the most accurate representation of Star Wars lore.

If they are contradicted by other material, then regardless of the out of universe reason being to make a better story out of it, the other material is wrong.

Hit a nerve, did I?

I don't really read the novels. Either universe partly because the inconsistency and partly because the need to constantly inflate things.

And if these numbers of yours are inconsistent with the way star wars was first portrayed and what remains as its primary source material. I have very bad news for you my friend.

That's not consistency.

40k has the dubious 'advantage' of less such conflict. Like I said the old BFG game serves as a primary indicator of how things work and the rpg's flesh out details. Some of which are consistent with BFG and some which are not.

Well fine, cite a scene in the movie which indicates clearly that a SSD can't fire past visible range, for example.

I'll be waiting a long time considering technical discussions of ships never fucking happen.

I never said that it couldn't. Was just clarifying how SW canonicity works.

>I don't read the novels so they don't count
Right. But the gaming sourcebooks work as a primary source?

>But SW doesn't have a lick when it comes to this form of dickwaving.

But you know what they do have? reliable FTL and communications. Have a GIF of a cute baby for your time.

In this case, yes

the Bfg book there fluff and descriptions within works wonderfully as a primary source for how 40k naval engagements work. Not only because there is not a lot of details given to space battles in codices and such but because descriptions of space battles and bfg are quite consistent.
Unlike, for example, the 40k TT and the 40k fluff which are... not.

And I never said that something does not count because I haven't read a novel, oh mighty slayer of straw men. I say it does not count because it contradicts established canon.

Action speak louder then words. They never did even when it would have been massively advantageous, nobody ever does.
So we must conclude that either: They can't or everyone is retarded. We are shown and told that some people are not utterly retarded which leaves us with "They can't"

There's a couple in chaos service, and a handful acting as fortress-monasteries:

>Eternal Crusader (IF)
Black Templars' flagship/fortress-monastery
>Macragge's Honour (UM)
Bobby G's personal ride, seems the Ultras kept it around, though they've had to recapture it from the warp at least once
>Chronicle of Ashes (WB)
Captured by the Ultras, purged, examined by the Inquisition and now used by the Nemesis chapter (UM successors) as their fortress-monastery

>Endurance (DG)
Still Morty's personal ride and flagship of the Death Guard under him
>Conqueror (WE)
Part of Khornate lord Kossolax's fleet, Angron presumably not giving a shit
>Vengeful Spirit (LW)
Abbadon's flagship

See of the first founding chapters still have them. In dark imperium girlyman is riding around in one.

I want to see a story where kharn re-takes the conqueror and goes around having his usual fun. Shit in general I would like to see some kharn/daemon Angron interaction. Just the two shooting the shit with each other after kharn does the "are you well, my lord" test.

>They never did even when it would have been massively advantageous, nobody ever does.
Pretty much every conflict we see in the films involves the Rebellion coming out of hyperspace at visible range so they can scramble fighters, their biggest advantage against the Empire.

There's not really any room for long range encounters when that's what you're fighting.

See that makes little sense, honestly. Fighters are, infact, not short range weapons. I do seem to remember them launching fighters and sending them to engage *before* main guns come into range.

See that is consistent. Rebel fighters have ftl and are designed to be a lot more independent.
So they engage the enemy fighters before main guns come into action.

Hell, didn't the rebels get ambushed at a deathstar? And then both fleets had to close in before opening fire while fighters were duking it out in between?

That was a perfect opportunity for long range fire which, curiously. Never happened, and even then the ships were visual.

You people realize that in fiction you can make your stuff just as big and powerful as you like, right? That it's meaningless to compare a setting as "better" due to having bigger numbers because those numbers are completely arbitrary?

A well made setting is not attempting to one-up others but to scale things according to the feel it wants to have. As a bit of a side point, 40k numbers amusingly tend to be way too small to be sensible.

Strictly speaking, the Star Trek crew is the only one that might actually have a track and field team that is recognized as such in-setting, as opposed to assigning one only for the purpose of your crossover.

>

>You people realize that in fiction you can make your stuff just as big and powerful as you like, right?

No. Just no.
That may very well be true for a brand new setting with nothing preceding it but once you set expectations and precedence you are expected to follow that.

Tolkien wrote fiction but theres a reason why they didn't whip up machineguns and artillery halfway through the series. Seriously dude, internal consistency is (hopefully) a thing.

Don't take a piss all over it.

I'm not at all making a point against internal consistency. I'm saying it's completely absurd to go "my setting is bigger and stronger than your setting!!".

obviously its absurd.
But saying "Its fiction so you can do whatever you want" is equally silly as its simply not true.
Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a little, but I've seen that very argument creep up lately in the context of "We should have female, feminist, progressive marines. What? Its fiction, you can just change the fluff!"

Everything is all wrong and non-canon

For as many things are retarded about 40k they at least get engagement distances correct iirc.

>Star Wars
>Ships slugging it out in visual range, sometimes literally crashing into each other
>Star Trek
>Ships lazily floating about in visual range
>40k ships (not counting things like Roks and KILLFRENZY or active boarding parties)
>Fire shells at each other from far enough away that you can't even see the other (hilariously big) ship with the naked eye

Forgot image
>"thousands of kilometers" per second
>Half hour+ flight time

This could also be another case of writers not knowing shit about military tech though, like a modern Abrams being more heavily armored than a Leman Russ

Now I know I selected the image that time. Is 4chins shitting the bed again?

Test image

The Galaxy team would treat the contest like a friendly little game, and wouldn't take it seriously. The Mars and Imperial teams would be playing to win, because they'll get shot by their superiors if they lose.

The Imperial team would probably be Stormtroopers - tough and fit, but still only human. Meanwhile the Mars team would be the toughest and fittest members of the crew, who also have a variety of augments pushing them beyond the limits of baseline humanity. It would be close, but I think the Mars team would have the edge needed to win.

>Imperial Navy ships are quite safe due to routine patrols and crewmembers working all over the ship.

You sound like a recruitment officer.

>thread where we can have fun talking about the basis crews of popular but radically different settings, blow up their circumstances to extreme and humorous proportions, and discuss their effectiveness in track and field
>instead two losers hijack the thread and start bitching over the size of their penis class battlecruisers

We had that same fucking thread last week you fucking fags. You're even using all the same images.

so do your first point fag

ignore the autists and they will feel terrible

It was published by GW. It's canon.

I'm not talking about changing a setting. I'm talking about how you set it up.