Help!

Help!

No one blinded me! No one blinded me!

You're just here to bitch when a millennial doesn't get the reference, aren't you?

Probably not gonna happen. High school students (at least in america) are forced to read The Odyseey in like freshman year.

Should have seen it coming.

Also isn't proper capitalization "No One" rather than "No one", hm?

Oh yeah, real witty. Shame a shit load of his crew had to die before he enacted that plan. Dude was a shhhhitty leader.

Shuddup Polybitchus
Also no the kids don't read the good shit, they only read Percy Jackson

They read Percy Jackson on their own. The schools make them read Homer (or at least an abridged version of his work)

That's good to hear, Anonodoros. Keep that eye safe, you only get one.

How abridged are we talking here?

Nah, kids these days don't even learn cursive. Breaks my heart. learned my baby sister (senior in HS this year, honors and ROTC, fucking proud of her) Didn't even know who Homer was until I started talking to her. I spent about 6 months telling her all about it, and I gave her a list of stuff to read. Got off the phone with her the other night, telling me about how dumb her classmates are. This shit is a joke, but that's Hawaiian education for you

I actually wasn't required to read the odyssey until freeshman year of college.

>Nah, kids these days don't even learn cursive
Why is this a problem?

Why would it matter whether they learn cursive or not? That shit is just useless. Knowing something about the classics is an entirely different thing, though. Cursive was still a part of the curriculum back when I went to school, and that time would've been better spent reading a book or studying something actually meaningful.

I want to see Hamlet's monologue in this.

>Nah, kids these days don't even learn cursive.
Cursive is fucking shit and this is a damn good thing. Cursive is more useless than a degree in Women's Studies.

I think the last time I used cursive besides my signature was back in college taking notes.
Had a professor who hated laptops.

you're in luck, check your nearest bookstore

Go back to sleep you dumbass if no one blinded you then its not a problem

Watch out for that Odysseus guy, I hear he's a real troublemaker

>hurrdurr I don't handwrite anymore
Fuck you people, cursive is fucking baller and I use it for all my handwriting to this day. All my homebrew setting materials are written in cursive, as well as my personal journals.
Also cursive kept people from cheating on me in high school / college because everyone forgot how to read that shit years ago. Except for that faggot Casey. Fuck you, Casey, do your own work.

I believe it to be a mark of a classical and wholesome education, even if you don't use it all the time, it shows that you give a shit about your upbringing. That and learning things like Renaissance era poetry could be deemed as useless, but I really do believe it helps a person learn more and think more creatively

>as my personal journals.
Well that's one way to keep people from reading it.

>Also cursive kept people from cheating on me in high school
I'm bretty sure you being unable to get a girlfriend in the first place is what kept people from cheating on you

>Except for that faggot Casey. Fuck you, Casey, do your own work.
I would, but I spent all that time studying cursive.

I don't really see how learning cursive and renaissance era poetry really compare.

I write couple dozens pages a week, in print script.
Though I can see how cursive can be good for GM notes - nobody else being able to read them besides you actually is a merit there.

How the hell could cursive possibly help anyone learn more or think more creatively? It's just a specific style of penmanship. Learning it takes simple mechanical practice, using it takes simple mechnical applicaton of practiced skills. There is no thought involved. The only guy I know who regularly uses cursive - and has a pretty beautiful gandwriting at that - is kind of a dumbass who got poor grades at school and who doesn't realize that Africa isn't a single nation. That's the level of education cursive requires and/or imparts.

>nobody else being able to read them besides you actually is a merit there.
Is this a thing other GMs actually worry about?

It's all the same shit. Hell I even know basic single and double entry bookkeeping. Knowing older things gives you a better perspective. Both don't really apply nowadays, but knowing it, understanding it, and enjoying it I think makes you a better person.

They literally don't. In fact, none of my high school education really involved the fabled Required Reading List except for one teacher who had us read Romeo and Juliet. My AP lit class covered the Scarlet Letter and then let us chose from a selection of other books (Great Gatsby, Fight Club, and To Have And To Have Not are the only ones I remember) to read and report on.

I only read Homer in a separate private literature course in middle school, and it wasn't even a legit translation, it was basically a summary of the events. Public school is a joke, but private school is a scam.

I've always written in cursive since I was three years old. My shit teachers would be annoyed at me because they couldn't read my hand writing and I'd get punished for writing messily. The good ones would always seem to give me an edge in marking.

depends on the players - some folks will try to acquire and abuse any metaknowledge they can

Why would you play with those kind of people?

Oh look at mister "I can completely trust my players not to peek at that last encounter while I'm in the bathroom" over here
But seriously I write out just basic stream of consciousness tidbits all over the place sometimes in my notes and it's kind of shitty when a player casts a casual glance in your direction from a good angle and sees "vampire mayor frames players" on accident.

We got free choice of assignment literature once - it was revoked two weeks later when first tributes turned out to be Lady Fuckingham and Mein Kampf.

That seemed like a truly bizarre view until I realized it was just about a dumb but understandable attitude of "I spent effort to learn it so it HAS to have some merit".

Like 2 or 3 chapters worth of it was what was assigned when I was in high school. I ended up reading it out of interest, but most kids just got the cliffnotes and never read the damn thing

Dude fuck cursive, I'm left handed so every practice assignment to learn it didn't fucking work

I mean, that's your view, so I guess if you don't believe it has merit more power to you, do your own thing. I enjoy it and like how it looks so I learned it and keep practicing. Pic related I did in 20 seconds.
Do not ever let someone teach you cursive if you're left handed. I'd recommend getting some manuals

I handwrite plenty. I even do so as a DM. I don't fucking need cursive to have good handwriting. I could write my notes in fucking Hangul or Tengwar if I needed to keep them secret.

It isn't giving you a classical education, it's giving you a useless skill in the real world. It is LITERALLY more worthless than a Women's Studies degree.

>kids these days don't even learn cursive
Good. Cursive is pointless.

You literally said it makes someone a better person. You're either high on your own farts or just, as that other user said, trying to justify your commitment to a pointless practice.

I figured that out and got in a lot of trouble when I told my teacher that in like 1st grade user. I'm a programmer now and when I do write notes, it's usually in the engineering style to assure that anyone can read it.

>Cursive is pointless.
just mostly pointless - I mean there's i,s t, and u

fuck forgot to rotate. Anyways, how is it bad? If anything learning it would help you while you're young, makes it easier to learn languages and it just looks classy. Plus I learned older script, and it's fun to take notes on Tolkien's lectures with that

How the hell does knowing cursive make learning languages easier?

>Both don't really apply nowadays, but knowing it, understanding it, and enjoying it I think makes you a better person.
I meant that doing things you enjoy without it having to have real world applications makes you a better person, not necessarily cursive

Yeah, and no one's listening!

studies show in early developments learning different ways to write helps stimulate both hemispheres, and bunch of other shit. lemme see if I have it archived.

>Junclay Noizmlev 26, 2017
>Vezun 4ucE I clicln't izaleize Veeky Forums
>war 4ull of tastelem 4uffrs
>OP Iz a 4ag

>If anything learning it would help you while you're young, makes it easier to learn languages and it just looks classy
You know what actually helps you learn other languages? LEARNING OTHER LANGUAGES. Especially at a younger age when one's lingual skills are still developing.

>Plus I learned older script, and it's fun to take notes on Tolkien's lectures with that
Or you could write them in Tengwar. It looks classier and your teacher will probably be more impressed.

made me chuckle

Even if that's true why spend time on cursive when you can just spend time learning other languages?

SO THERE WAS MORE THEN ONE?!

>LEARNING OTHER LANGUAGES. Especially at a younger age when one's lingual skills are still developing.
Not everyone has that option, especially in the US where your best option till high school is maybe Spanish if you're lucky.
I don't go to classes for that, and it's his lectures on Anglo-Saxon, so writing script and the runic letters is more fun
Learn Spencerian

see

Then why even bring up the supposed benefits of cursive to foreign language learning if learning an foreign language isn't even an option?

I'm saying it has similar benefits to cognitive abilities in early development stages you nonce

>Sunday, November 26, 2017.
>Jesus fuck I didn't realize Veeky Forums
>was full of faggots
>OP Is a fag
Write in human talk.
If you insist on being illegible, at least write in shorthand.

that is my shorthand

The US education system aside, learning cursive does not do anywhere close to enough to teach someone a new language compared to ACTUALLY teaching them a new language. We shouldn't be advocating for cursive, we should be advocating for teaching kids a new damn language. Learning Spanish has much more practical usage than cursive.

Right did you ever actually find any sources to back that claim up?
Not that it really matters since like most research there was probably one study with little to no follow.

>ACT 1
>SCENE: Castle platform.

>Enter GUARDS.
>GUARDS: Ghost?
>Enter GHOST.
>GUARDS: Ghost.
>Exit GHOST.
>GUARDS: We must tell Hamlet.

It's tasteless faggots. He's saying you have no taste because he works really hard every day to do cursive and he NEEDS validation, even if it's only from himself.

I agree, but again, if people's options are only spanish, then no one's gonna want to learn another language. And why not both? If classes like Greek or Latin or anything European or Japanese it wouldn't be as bad, but fuck everything's gotta be that slang shit in education

well that and I can't write in print anymore

>GUARDS: Ghost?
>Enter GHOST.
>GUARDS: Ghost.
>Exit GHOST.
You mean ...

>double entry bookkeeping
>doesn't really apply nowadays
I had to learn double-entry in at least three different accounting classes. Accounting is the language of business.

>makes you a better person
Knowing how to read income statements and balance sheets is important if you're operating on that level, to understand what's going on at a company financially (as opposed to what they want you to see). But it doesn't make you a better person, not by any stretch of the imagination.

What's wrong with learning spanish?
I mean more options are nice, but if your only option is spanish that's a pretty useful language to learn.

At least you can read it...

Cursive is terrible shorthand.

>anything European
When did spanish become non-european?

I stopped writing in cursive 20 years ago because nobody could read my handwriting, including myself. Made studying difficult.

Past few years my printing style is slowly degenerating into cursive again.

Well the textbook I learned it from was about a century old, so I imagine it's not as relevant. plus I was rubbish at it; could barely balance a month's worth of statements

Mexican spanish is garbage slang, and most of the Mexicans I know that speak it only aren't worth knowing or talking to.
It's only useful if you plan on working with Latinos. I don't

In the context of the US most people are referring to Mexican or Puerto Rican Spanish, which is pretty far removed from the original European Spanish. Unfortunately schools teach European Spanish so even if you take a class it still makes it hard to understand hispanics, but a foot in the door is better than nothing.

This is all disregarding the fact that they should be learning English since they're the ones coming here but whatever.

I graduated HS in 2013 and we definitely had a required reading list, lots of Dickens (Great Expectations, Tale of Two Cities), orwell (Animal Farm, 1984), Crime and Punishment, lord of the flies, along with a slew of unabridged Shakespeare. My little sister is currently reading basically the same stuff now while she's a sophmore in hs.

>It's only useful if you plan on working with Latinos
If you can speak English and Spanish you can make yourself understood over, essentially, the entire world.

Because you could just have that "both" as more language classes. Spanish and French, or Spanish and German, or Spanish and Arabic. Instead of, you know, cursive. Hell, you could probably make an argument for Scots based on similarity to English alone.

That's not why students take spanish. Also every school I've ever been to has had an ESL class.

except Russia (and other countries of former Soviet Union), very few people actually speak English here - even Chinese and Japanese are doing better in that regards

Cursive is inefficient as fuck. Whenever someone puts that on a job app that comes across my desk I trash it. Eyesore is all it is. There's a reason we have standardized characters now.

Would learning two romance languages at the same time make it easier or more confusing?

Bring back Esperanto, dammit. It could work if you give it a chance.

You went to a shitty school then. I was reading the Illiad and the Odyssey around freshman year and Lord of the Flies, of Mice and Men and the Scarlet Letter by sophomore year. Scarlet Letter is an exercise in tedium by the way - if anyone ITT hasn't read it yet, don't waste your time. It's garbage.

>nobody could read my handwriting, including myself
Sounds a bit like my dad. I can hand him a sticky note that *he* wrote last week, and it takes him a minute just to tease out what he wrote there.

Having to manually perform double-entry bookkeeping in class was basically torture. That was one of the main reasons I didn't become an accountant.
>century old textbooks
Yeah, I don't know how much has changed since then, but I guess it's a hobby thing that you liked.

>learning Arabic
>in parallel with another language
that just crazy - even learning Arabic on it's own is challenge, unless it's your first language

Both I suppose. You'd be able to see similarities in vocabulary and grammar for example and might be able to make an educated guess as to what the French word for something is if you already know the Spanish term and so on. But chances are that the differences would confuse you in the beginning at least.

Esperanto is communism of languages - it sounds like neat idea in theory, but...

Too Romantic.

I am completely unfamiliar with arabic what makes it so hard to learn?

I just enjoyed it yeah
Fuck you, learning the rules for the DLAB on it was bad enough
decent teachers are hard to vet, script is fucked to pieces, and everything is phlegm
two language classes a day is probably the worst idea in the long sad history of bad ideas. I spend 18 months learning 1 language and that was a challenge in and of itself

From my experience, easier in the long term, difficult in the short term. You see overlap and you can then get some things mixed up, but you end up picking up on the intricacies a little quicker. Like how Spanish is sensible with its numbering system, while French had too much wine when developing theirs.

Ideally one would learn such a thing when they're much younger, but there's at least some benefit to learning it earlier. Similar to Mandarin and especially Japanese with all the characters one needs to memorize. If you're going for something easier you could probably try Korean.

It's difficult for native speakers of English and related languages specifically because it's so different. The idea that certain languages are inherently more difficult to learn is just a badling meme that stupid people latch onto because it makes for good clickbait on Buzzfeed.

completely different writing script, little standardization in pronunciation, though grammar is (reportedly, I haven't gotten that far) rather consistent

actually funny story from DLI to elaborate on So this was about an instructor for Farci, so it's similar to Arabic, but essentially they brought him in from some falafel stand in Monteray. Long story short he was an extremely hardcore traditional "teacher" that didn't really know how to explain anything. Later when he had his background check finally put through it turned out he had ties with some extremist group and about 50 guys had to be investigated. and they still wonder why those languages are considered nightmare courses

Similar languages or ones with a similarity to the main language aren't that difficult. A couple Romance languages or a Romance and Germanic would be harder but doable for an English speaker.

Illiterate niggers detected.

>Farci, so it's similar to Arabic
1) The Iranian government prefers foreigners to call the language persian. 2) Persian is a Indo-European language with some Arabic loans. It's not what any reasonable man would call "similar" to Arabic.

>. I spend 18 months learning 1 language and that was a challenge in and of itself
maybe that's just you, everyone has different learning pace - hell, I used to know date genuine polyglot that knew nearly a dozen languages

Most Millennials are too old to have read that. I didn't know it was a thing until that movie came out.

For all you know your kindly teacher now abuses Assad's garrisons instead of some unfortunate students.